PDA

View Full Version : What teams should change their names?

RipVW
04-27-2010, 02:11 PM
What teams do you think have names that are dumb, dont' fit, or both? And what would you change them too?

Ill start with the Jazz. I know the team migrated to Utah, but Utah is the last place I think of when it comes to jazz music. Im not sure of what a better name would be.

I guess, along those lines, the same could be said for the Lakers, although, they have a lot tied up in their brand so its kind of silly to even discuss them changing it as much as it doesnt make any sense whatsoever.

Im also not sure if Hornets are as prevalent in New Orleans as they were in Charlotte. Both cities are humid but Im not sure where Hornets hang out in abundance. Im curious to know whether there arent better nicknames for a team from New Orleans. It seems like there should be something more unique to NO.

Memphis Grizzlies are another team in this category. Does Memphis have a big grizzlie population? It doesnt seem likely. It seems like maybe the Memphis and Utah could change nicknames, although, I think Memphis would probably be better as the Blues.

So, again, what teams do you think have names that are dumb, dont' fit, or both? And what would you change them too?

td0tsfinest
04-27-2010, 02:13 PM
The Thunder. I love the team but I still don't like the name.

RipVW
04-27-2010, 02:16 PM
The Thunder. I love the team but I still don't like the name.

What would you change it to? The Cyclones...the Twisters? The Twisters would kind of be funny because announcers would probably say "the Oklahoma Titty Twisters" more than once. Tumbleweeds maybe?

td0tsfinest
04-27-2010, 02:19 PM
What would you change it to? The Cyclones...the Twisters? The Twisters would kind of be funny because announcers would probably say "the Oklahoma Titty Twisters" more than once. Tumbleweeds maybe?

I know when they had the contest for the name, these were the finalists

Barons, Marshalls, Thunder, Wind, Energy and Bison.

I think Bandits was another one as well.

RipVW
04-27-2010, 02:22 PM
I know when they had the contest for the name, these were the finalists

I think Bandits was another one as well.

Wow. Looking at some of those choices, it doesnt seem they were THAT far away from going with "Earth, Wind, and Fire".

jimbobjarree
04-27-2010, 02:22 PM
lol the OKC Wind

we were robbed of a great team name right there

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-27-2010, 02:24 PM
Los Angeles Champions sounds better

(DET)#1 ALL DAY
04-27-2010, 02:33 PM

lol thats a common lakers fan it would be the boston champions before LA and i ****ing hate boston teams almost as much as chicago

Giantwarrior
04-27-2010, 02:39 PM
I hear MJ wants to change the name of the Bobcats.

but i dont think any team will change their names unless they were relocating.

MikefromMars
04-27-2010, 02:46 PM
I read somethin about MJ wanting to change the name of the Bobcats. They were basically named after their old onwer...BOBcats...

However, in the same article it touched on how hard it is to do. You have to buy all merchandise available from the NBA along with the cost of marketing, court logos, etc.

Bobcats are def the team that needs to change their name. They need to be Red, Silver, and a little Black and called themselves the Charlotte Swagger.

celtisox41
04-27-2010, 02:46 PM

Too bad they're only the 2nd greatest team ever

MikefromMars
04-27-2010, 02:47 PM
You can't change the Jazz. Although I agree with your reasoning, Utah loves their Jazz and I know they would fight to keep that name.

D-Will4Prez
04-27-2010, 02:52 PM
LA Lakers, long overdue for a name change, how many lakes do you know of in LA?
New York Knickerbockers <---lol.
LA Clippers, I don't even think I wanna know where this name came from :facepalm:
Bobcats and Thunder just have bad names that's all there is to it.\

I guess if I'm gonna call out the Lakers for being named after something clear across the country I can't really say the Jazz shouldn't change their name, though I can't really think of anything I'd rather have it be.

D-Will4Prez
04-27-2010, 02:55 PM
You can't change the Jazz. Although I agree with your reasoning, Utah loves their Jazz and I know they would fight to keep that name.
This is how I feel. Not because I think the name fits or anything that's just what it's always been and it has turned into something iconic in Utah, guess it's the same for the Lakers.

RipVW
04-27-2010, 02:55 PM
LA Clippers, I don't even think I wanna know where this name came from :facepalm:

I guess if I'm gonna call out the Lakers for being named after something clear across the country I can't really say the Jazz shouldn't change their name, though I can't really think of anything I'd rather have it be.

The Saints?

D-Will4Prez
04-27-2010, 02:59 PM
^that's actually not a bad idea

sep11ie
04-27-2010, 03:00 PM
How bout The Charolette Then Don't Watch's?

RipVW
04-27-2010, 03:01 PM
^that's actually not a bad idea

Besides Saints, if they wanted to stay away from religion or avoid using a name that is already used by another pro sports team, they could go with something outdoorsy...like the Utah Caribou, Utah Elk, or Utah Owls.

MikefromMars
04-27-2010, 03:06 PM
Utah Salt Miners (miners for short)..... but Jazz has to stick.

I feel the same about the Lakers and Knicks. How can you even think about changing those names?!

Washington should go back to the Bullets.

D-Will4Prez
04-27-2010, 03:07 PM
Utah Cougars if they wanted to steal BYUs...I know a LOT of Utahns that would be so pissed off LOL

Yeah some teams names just stuck...I honestly don't think Utah or LA should change their name. It's become too iconic. But yes, Washington should go back to Bullets

Hellcrooner
04-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Raptors to HUSKIES

WIzards to BULLETS

thunder to SEATTLE SEATLLE SEATTLE SEATTLSE SUPERSONICS.

thats it.

Toenail Clipper
04-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Clippers, they ain't clipping anybody!

soonabooma
04-27-2010, 05:01 PM
The name Thunder is fine, it fits with Oklahoma and it has as much of a presence as any of the other names around the league. The problem is the logo/colors. I know they were trying to keep it simple, but SOONER or later we need to maybe come up with a stronger logo and definitely incorporate some black into our color scheme. We need to at least have an alternate away jersey....black of course.

defender4m
04-27-2010, 05:06 PM
The nets are considering changing their name when they move to Brooklyn

RipVW
04-27-2010, 05:52 PM
The name Thunder is fine, it fits with Oklahoma and it has as much of a presence as any of the other names around the league. The problem is the logo/colors. I know they were trying to keep it simple, but SOONER or later we need to maybe come up with a stronger logo and definitely incorporate some black into our color scheme. We need to at least have an alternate away jersey....black of course.

Sorry but Thunder sounds a little ridiculous. I guess "sonic" and "thunder" both have to do with sound so maybe that was part of why they went with it but it still sounds silly.

IversonIsKrazy
04-27-2010, 08:26 PM
Bobcats, Pacers, Clippers, Grizzlies, Knicks(WTF), Nets, Wizards
Lakers should too, but they got way too much history and fame with that name now.

Kingz4L
04-27-2010, 08:58 PM
The only thing I wish we do is change our logo to our original one, I hate this new one we got...

I got a good name for some teams:

Charlotte Pitbulls
Golden State Bolts
Los Angeles Quackes
Orlando Hurricanes
New York Gunners
Cleveland Mountaineers

lol those are some funny names that come to mind

junion
04-27-2010, 09:04 PM

There's a lot of history in some of the names. Lakers have established a market with their name. Same with the Celtics.

The Knickerbockers have significance in New York.

The Clippers used to be in Buffalo, but when they went to San Diego, Ca, they were named the Clippers because clippers are those sail boats that you can see on their old logo. Their name actually make more sense than many other names. I don't see anything ":facepalm:" about it.

Bobcats and Thunder are the newest names - I dont know why they were made so weak. At least choose something like Bolts or something.

But damn, are you 14 or something?

nuggetsyankees
04-27-2010, 09:05 PM
New York Gobstoppers

sounds so much better than Knickerbockers :)

nuggetsyankees
04-27-2010, 09:07 PM

the most relevant name in the NBA, and they want to change it?

Punkindrublic03
04-27-2010, 09:07 PM

OKC uni-ballers

(unibomber :rimshot:)

avrpatsfan
04-27-2010, 09:15 PM
The Thunder. It sounds like an WNBA team.

SchyGuy11
04-27-2010, 09:16 PM
lol thats a common lakers fan it would be the boston champions before LA and i ****ing hate boston teams almost as much as chicago

**** you and the dead wings

DodgerBulls
04-27-2010, 09:23 PM

Snoop Dogg will hate you for changing the Lakers name!

blastmasta26
04-28-2010, 01:27 AM
The Brooklyn Buckets?

ink
04-28-2010, 01:31 AM
Raptors to HUSKIES

WIzards to BULLETS

thunder to SEATTLE SEATLLE SEATTLE SEATTLSE SUPERSONICS.

thats it.

I agree with 1 and 3 but unless Gilbert Arenas purchases the team Bullets is not going to fly in Washington.

NPH
04-28-2010, 01:46 AM

Yeah seriously, that's pretty lame.
Thanks for making us look like D-bags. :)

CAVS21
04-28-2010, 02:01 AM
The Brooklyn Buckets?

It doesn't even come close to fitting but with Jay-Z they could become the Brooklyn Dynasty.....but lmao they'd be the laughing stock.

THE MTL
04-28-2010, 02:38 AM
Iono why everyone hating on "The Thunder". I liked the name since the beginning and it sounds tough. Seriously...."THUNDER". Its dope.

I think the Clippers just need to change their name as well as the city. Their problems go beyond management and talent. This team has only had 7 winning seasons in 40 years of existence.

They need a compete makeover. A new start. As of now, they have the new young talent. But def a change in scenery.

SNYmets86
04-28-2010, 02:46 AM
denver NUGGETS , toronto RAPTORS , raptors are instinct right lol

DerekRE_3
04-28-2010, 03:10 AM
I will continue to be a supporter of the name "Bombers" for Oklahoma City. I don't care if it offends people. Oklahoma City Bombers just sounds awesome.

ryder78c
04-28-2010, 03:43 AM
Charlotte Rams

Clippers ......Seattle SuperSonics

The Brooklyn Roc.....its the roc hahaaaaa

Indiana Pacers..... Las Vegas Royals

wizards cant be the bullets because stern doesnt want a bad image

SF25
04-28-2010, 03:54 AM
The Lakers definitely. Their name makes no sense since in L.A. there's no Lake. It made since when they were in Minnesota but they should have changed it right when they moved.

Jahari Kavi
04-28-2010, 04:42 AM
The Thunder

Apophis
04-28-2010, 05:21 AM
New Orleans Blues
New Orleans Soul

I would rename the hornets to one of those two...

Knickerbockers.... lol Yes we were named after pants...

Why Knickerbockers?

THE NAME ...

The term "Knickerbockers" traces its origin back to the Dutch settlers who came to the New World -- and especially to what is now New York -- in the 1600s. Specifically, it refers to the style of pants the settlers wore ... pants that rolled up just below the knee, which became known as "Knickerbockers," or "knickers".

Through history, the Dutch settler "Knickerbocker" character became synonymous with New York City. The city's most popular symbol of the late 19th and early 20th centuries was "Father Knickerbocker," complete with cotton wig, three-cornered hat, buckled shoes, and, of course, knickered pants.

The Knickerbocker name had its first use in the world of sports in 1845, when Alexander Cartwright's Manhattan-based baseball team -- the first organized team in baseball history -- was named the "New York Knickerbockers" or the "Knickerbocker Nine." The Knickerbocker name stayed with the team even after it moved its base of operations to Elysian Fields at Hoboken, N.J. in 1846. (The baseball link may have prompted Casey Stengel to joyously exclaim, "It's great to be back as the manager of the Knickerbockers!" when he was named pilot of the newborn Mets in 1961.)

Thus, the Knickerbocker name was an integral part of the New York scene when the Basketball Association of America granted a charter franchise to the city in the summer of 1946. As can best be determined, the final decision to call the team the "Knickerbockers" was made by the club's founder, the legendary Ned Irish.

"The name came out of a hat," recalled Fred Podesta, the longtime Garden executive who passed away at age 86 in 1999. "We were all sitting in the office one day -- Irish, (public relations director) Lester Scott and a few others on the staff. We each put a name in the hat, and when we pulled them out, most of them said Knickerbockers, after Father Knickerbocker, the symbol of New York City. It soon was shortened to Knicks."

In keeping with another New York tradition, the team's colors have always (except for the years from 1980-81 through 1982-83) been orange, blue and white. . .the official colors of New York City.

http://www.nba.com/knicks/history/why_knickerbockers.html

kikeyanez
04-28-2010, 05:37 AM
golden state warriors should be called oakland warriors

JCSchwa
04-28-2010, 11:40 AM
OKC uni-ballers

(unibomber :rimshot:)

fyi the uni bomber had nothing to do with okc
that was timothy mcvei, ted kasinski was the uni bomber

RipVW
04-28-2010, 11:47 AM

Do you mean to say that the Warriors arent California's Team?

sep11ie
04-28-2010, 12:03 PM
Ok, since the space program is being shutdown should The Rockets change their name?

Ill21
04-28-2010, 12:15 PM
How about the Oklahoma City Bombers. lol

FinsFoLife
04-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Washington Wizards should become the Washington Grays

Salvy123
04-28-2010, 01:19 PM
Washington Wizards should become the Washington Grays

Washington Grays??? I dont get it...:confused:

arkanian215
04-28-2010, 01:21 PM
Charlotte Rams

Clippers ......Seattle SuperSonics

The Brooklyn Roc.....its the roc hahaaaaa

Indiana Pacers..... Las Vegas Royals

wizards cant be the bullets because stern doesnt want a bad image

Sorry the Rock is in Newark.

GSW Hoops
04-28-2010, 01:24 PM
Denver Nuggets need a new name. Clippers need a new one too, just because it's associated with so much losing.

GSW Hoops
04-28-2010, 01:25 PM

Golden State sounds much better :)

Jaji
04-28-2010, 02:19 PM
Okay. How about:

New Orleans Jazz
Utah Lakers
Los Angeles Grizzlies (UCLA is the Bruins)
Memphis Hornets (sinde their play hasn't created much of a buzz)

FinsFoLife
04-28-2010, 02:27 PM
Washington Grays??? I dont get it...:confused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FIk3E6V6FA

NetsPaint
04-28-2010, 03:42 PM
Found this on a forum a while ago.Hilarious.

Gamebreaker

June-10th-2003, 11:14 AM
You would think a black guy could come up with something more "gangsta" than an orange bobcat. : D

I wishing for some ghetto name like the Charlotte Ruff Ryders, would've really showcased the amount of crime that goes on in that city

ballpd05
04-28-2010, 04:00 PM
What teams do you think have names that are dumb, dont' fit, or both? And what would you change them too?

Ill start with the Jazz. I know the team migrated to Utah, but Utah is the last place I think of when it comes to jazz music. Im not sure of what a better name would be.

I guess, along those lines, the same could be said for the Lakers, although, they have a lot tied up in their brand so its kind of silly to even discuss them changing it as much as it doesnt make any sense whatsoever.

Im also not sure if Hornets are as prevalent in New Orleans as they were in Charlotte. Both cities are humid but Im not sure where Hornets hang out in abundance. Im curious to know whether there arent better nicknames for a team from New Orleans. It seems like there should be something more unique to NO.

Memphis Grizzlies are another team in this category. Does Memphis have a big grizzlie population? It doesnt seem likely. It seems like maybe the Memphis and Utah could change nicknames, although, I think Memphis would probably be better as the Blues.

So, again, what teams do you think have names that are dumb, dont' fit, or both? And what would you change them too?

Like the Jazz lol. I don't know if Utah has anything unique so they just stick with how it came.

The Hornets could change to the Gators I guess.

eugene
04-28-2010, 04:03 PM
what teams do you think have names that are dumb, dont' fit, or both? And what would you change them too?

Ill start with the jazz. I know the team migrated to utah, but utah is the last place i think of when it comes to jazz music. Im not sure of what a better name would be.

I guess, along those lines, the same could be said for the lakers, although, they have a lot tied up in their brand so its kind of silly to even discuss them changing it as much as it doesnt make any sense whatsoever.

Im also not sure if hornets are as prevalent in new orleans as they were in charlotte. Both cities are humid but im not sure where hornets hang out in abundance. Im curious to know whether there arent better nicknames for a team from new orleans. It seems like there should be something more unique to no.

Memphis grizzlies are another team in this category. Does memphis have a big grizzlie population? It doesnt seem likely. It seems like maybe the memphis and utah could change nicknames, although, i think memphis would probably be better as the blues.

Utah Mormons
LA Madonnas
New Orleans Katrinas
Memphis Teddy Bears

NetsPaint
04-28-2010, 04:40 PM
Memphis Teddy Bears lol.

j-bay
04-28-2010, 04:54 PM
The Washington Metro

BKLYNNYRNYKNYY
04-28-2010, 04:57 PM
the nets, because so far this year they been missing it, they should be called NJ Floors, because that's the only constant place the ball is with that team

Tulanehockey
04-28-2010, 04:57 PM
The Utah Jazz----Salt Lake City Special Underwear (Mormons are ********)
LA Lakers---------LA Stars
Charlotte Bobcats-Carolina Rebels
New Orleans Hornets-New Orleans Jazz
Minnesota Timberwolves-Minnesota Lakers

Tulanehockey
04-28-2010, 04:58 PM
Ok, since the space program is being shutdown should The Rockets change their name?

LOL the Space Shuttle program is ending. NASA is actually getting a budget INCREASE.

bradyoverrated
04-28-2010, 05:17 PM
lakers

jazz

arizona cardinals (cardinals only occupy a small region of arizona)

thunder

bosoxlover12
04-28-2010, 05:25 PM
Okay. How about:

New Orleans Jazz
Utah Lakers
Los Angeles Grizzlies (UCLA is the Bruins)
Memphis Hornets (sinde their play hasn't created much of a buzz)

They work, it just doesn't seem right...

and i love that Memphis explanation lol