PDA

View Full Version : Tyreke Evans to be named ROTY

Kingz4L
04-27-2010, 01:29 PM
http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2010/4/27/1446682/breaking-tyreke-evans-to-be-named

Cant believe he and Lebron were tied 1st for most made baskets by the rim

PraiseJesus
04-27-2010, 01:30 PM
http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2010/4/27/1446682/breaking-tyreke-evans-to-be-named

Curry is a better player

ldc62
04-27-2010, 01:31 PM
^ :facepalm: myself for agreeing with PraiseJesus for the first time ever... That being said, Im ok with Reke Havoc winning it.

Kingz4L
04-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Curry is a better player

Curry is a better shooter...thats it

iggypop123
04-27-2010, 01:37 PM

better pg too. evans is a sg who gets put in the pg spot. kind of like duncan being considered a pf when he has been a center the last 7 yrs

DerekRE_3
04-27-2010, 01:39 PM
better pg too. evans is a sg who gets put in the pg spot. kind of like duncan being considered a pf when he has been a center the last 7 yrs

Luckily I can just quote myself on this one:

:sigh:

People just don't get how the Kings offense works under Paul Westphal. The guard spots are completely interchangeable. Sometimes Beno Udrih ran the offense, sometimes Tyreke did. This could change literally from play to play. Is Tyreke a point guard? The answer isn't yes or no...it's who cares? On the defensive side of the ball, it is completely up to matchups as to who guards who. Tyreke Evans is a guard that can break down defenses and either finish at the rim or find an open teammate. Whatever you want to call that is up to you.

Also to note, as the season went on, Tyreke got better and better at being a playmaker and finding his teammates. Over the past 20 games or so he averaged 7 assists a game.

It's all just semantics, it doesn't matter. But I guess it's fair to punish a guy for being versatile and being able to defend 3 positions.

CityofTreez
04-27-2010, 01:41 PM
good. well-deserved for Reke

Kingz4L
04-27-2010, 01:42 PM

Ill give him that, but Ill take Evans over him any day running the pg position becuase of his skill to attack the rim, his shooting is going to get better...all in all Evans is the best all around player in this years rookie class.

AI4MVP
04-27-2010, 01:50 PM

no. curry is a better point guard. hes a better shooter, ball handler, passer, has more court vision, has a higher basketball IQ

drama1386
04-27-2010, 01:50 PM
congrats to tyreke.

colinskik
04-27-2010, 01:55 PM
Why couldn't this be a co-ROTY situation? It's too tough for me to pick one over the other.

KnicksR4Real
04-27-2010, 02:00 PM
Not a big suprise

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Jennings got robbed

jimbobjarree
04-27-2010, 02:09 PM
well deserved, congrats to reke

td0tsfinest
04-27-2010, 02:14 PM
Well deserved. I expect big things from this guy in the future.

drama1386
04-27-2010, 02:14 PM
Jennings got robbed

i agree...but i'm not gonna start anything, haha!

bahama0811
04-27-2010, 02:15 PM
Congrats to Tyreke!

ellisgw
04-27-2010, 02:16 PM
i think what hurt curry is that he did not get the green light to play free until 30 games into the season. Evans is a great player and deserved it.

tredigs
04-27-2010, 02:29 PM

It's all just semantics, it doesn't matter. But I guess it's fair to punish a guy for being versatile and being able to defend 3 positions.

First things, if the rumor's true then congrats to Evans, 'cause the kid's a boss and definitely had a very strong case for the award.

And that's all absolutely true about the Kings' system (what you quoted - didn't show up in this post though), but you can't ignore the fact that the Warriors also had Ellis hording the ball for the majority of the game (a 29% Usage Rate compared to Curry's 21.8%), while Tyreke had the ball far more than anyone else on his team with a 26% Usage rate (Beno's was 18%). Most of the time, you're going to have better raw stats (the pts/assists) when this is the case.

Since you mentioned 'rekes last 20 games and how he averaged 7 assists, check out their last 40-45 games from early January:

Name Team Pos g min/g pts/g 3/g reb/g ast/g stl/g blk/g fg% fga/g ft% fta/g 3%

Curry, GSW G 45 39.4 21.6 2.6 5.1 7.0 2.0 0.2 0.462 17.4 0.906 3.1 0.442

Evans, SAC G 40 37.2 19.7 0.5 5.4 6.3 1.6 0.3 0.454 15.8 0.722 6.8 0.257

That's what Curry was able to do once he became "The Man" on their team. With the exception of a .3 rebound advantage to Evans, Curry has him in every cat there. I won't knock Evans for that, because he was given that #1 role immediately and he did well with it, but the way that Curry was able to take over games with the flair & efficiency that he did was something that I hadn't seen in this league out of a rookie in a long time. Evans was essentially a guy who would power drive to the hole all game and play hustle ball for 40 minutes. A very good thing to have, but it doesn't compare to the skill of Curry IMO.

Also, the fact that the Warriors were even able to win 26 games (which was 1 more than the Kings) with the most injury plagued cast in franchise history (by the end of the season they're starting 3 D-Leaguers...) can be put squarely on Steph. He was the ONLY rock on that team, missed just 2 games all season.

ZebraCity916
04-27-2010, 02:42 PM
It's Rookie Of The YEAR. Not the 1st couple months. Not the last 3 months. The YEAR. I like Jennings and Curry. I really do. But Evans was the most consistent Rookie from start to finish. Not to mention 20-5-5 averages. Being 1 of only 3 players to average those numbers this season, the other 2 being LBJ and Kobe. He also got to the rim more times than anybody else in the NBA.

Evans deserved this award.

I don't mean to look like a total homer but those are just the facts.

sacgiants1213
04-27-2010, 02:50 PM
Congrats to Tyreke aka the Kings Savior!!!!!!!!

Curry/Jennings have cases for themselves but we desperately needed this. 17 win season last year and 25 this year. It's been horrible times for the Kings, so we needed something to go our way for once. Thank you Stern for giving us the worst possible pick we could have received in last years lottery.

DerekRE_3
04-27-2010, 03:16 PM
First things, if the rumor's true then congrats to Evans, 'cause the kid's a boss and definitely had a very strong case for the award.

And that's all absolutely true about the Kings' system (what you quoted - didn't show up in this post though), but you can't ignore the fact that the Warriors also had Ellis hording the ball for the majority of the game (a 29% Usage Rate compared to Curry's 21.8%), while Tyreke had the ball far more than anyone else on his team with a 26% Usage rate (Beno's was 18%). Most of the time, you're going to have better raw stats (the pts/assists) when this is the case.

Since you mentioned 'rekes last 20 games and how he averaged 7 assists, check out their last 40-45 games from early January:

Name Team Pos g min/g pts/g 3/g reb/g ast/g stl/g blk/g fg% fga/g ft% fta/g 3%

Curry, GSW G 45 39.4 21.6 2.6 5.1 7.0 2.0 0.2 0.462 17.4 0.906 3.1 0.442

Evans, SAC G 40 37.2 19.7 0.5 5.4 6.3 1.6 0.3 0.454 15.8 0.722 6.8 0.257

That's what Curry was able to do once he became "The Man" on their team. With the exception of a .3 rebound advantage to Evans, Curry has him in every cat there. I won't knock Evans for that, because he was given that #1 role immediately and he did well with it, but the way that Curry was able to take over games with the flair & efficiency that he did was something that I hadn't seen in this league out of a rookie in a long time. Evans was essentially a guy who would power drive to the hole all game and play hustle ball for 40 minutes. A very good thing to have, but it doesn't compare to the skill of Curry IMO.

Also, the fact that the Warriors were even able to win 26 games (which was 1 more than the Kings) with the most injury plagued cast in franchise history (by the end of the season they're starting 3 D-Leaguers...) can be put squarely on Steph. He was the ONLY rock on that team, missed just 2 games all season.

Curry did do great from January on, but not that much better than Tyreke, and from what it looks like, it wasn't enough for Curry to win ROY. You just can't ignore how much better Tyreke was than Curry to start the season. Also, since I have synergy I was able to look at the defensive stats of each players and it is very telling. Tyreke is a much better overall defender than Curry. Then, when you take into account that Tyreke can guard 3 positions, I think he really separates himself.

Both players are going to have great careers, and who knows who ends up being better, but Tyreke Evans had a better year this season, which is what this award is about.

Iodine
04-27-2010, 03:18 PM
But he can't shoot 3's

ARMIN12NBA
04-27-2010, 03:38 PM
Congrats to Tyreke. He's a beast and was phenomenal this year with 20/6/5, solid defense, and some clutch plays.

bigsams50
04-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Congrats to TyFreak, he deserves it

tredigs
04-27-2010, 04:49 PM
Curry did do great from January on, but not that much better than Tyreke, and from what it looks like, it wasn't enough for Curry to win ROY. You just can't ignore how much better Tyreke was than Curry to start the season. Also, since I have synergy I was able to look at the defensive stats of each players and it is very telling. Tyreke is a much better overall defender than Curry. Then, when you take into account that Tyreke can guard 3 positions, I think he really separates himself.

Both players are going to have great careers, and who knows who ends up being better, but Tyreke Evans had a better year this season, which is what this award is about.

Yup, I mean I agree. I have no problem with 'Reke winning it if that's what happens. Though it's just like you guys with the Kings; it would have been nice to see something tangibly positive come out this season for us. I also disagree completely that he had a better year, but I'll leave it at this...

I don't think he was so much better to start the season as he was simply given the rock to run with from the get go, where in the Warriors system Monta didn't allow that to happen for a month or two. And just given his size and athleticism I'd be surprised if Evans wasn't the better defender, but no stats on synergy can do a Warriors player justice on defense. They could have Gerald Wallace at wing and his defensive numbers would look like Steve Nash. I'd be curious to see how he'll do on that end next year under new management, assuming that whoever buys the team does so before the season begins and takes the hit on Nellie's remaining 6 million (added to the half a billion he's already spending, it's not much) and brings in a new/more defensive minded coach.

Toenail Clipper
04-27-2010, 04:56 PM
Who will have a better career though? :eyebrow: Of course my man Stephen Chicken Curry

asandhu23
04-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Who will have a better career though? :eyebrow: Of course my man Stephen Chicken Curry

Didn't I already tell you its GOAT curry?

Hawkeye15
04-27-2010, 05:30 PM
this was honestly a no brainer. Evans was a rock from day 1.

tMoNEy24
04-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Evans did something that 3 prior players did. 20 points 5 assits 5 rebounds a game. Thats elite company. Curry is a good player but so is Evans. Give some love

sacgiants1213
04-27-2010, 06:20 PM

too early to call. Anything can happen.

GSW Hoops
04-27-2010, 06:25 PM
I love Curry to death, but Tyreke deserved the ROY. Congrats to Tyreke and the Kings!

PraiseJesus
04-27-2010, 06:49 PM
Curry had better FG, FT, and 3pt percentages than Tyreke along with more steals, and assists. He did most of it while being the #2 or 3 player on the team.

I think Tyreke has stolen two awards now. First the MVP of the rookie game which should of went to Blair, and the ROTY which should of went to Curry.

They are both good players, but it is very obvious to me that Curry is a far more efficient player with better overall skills and natural talent.

Evans is just a little more gifted physically. Other than that, I think Curry will win an MVP award someday. He is one of the best rookies I have ever seen. Maybe the best PG in the NBA already

Slimsim
04-27-2010, 06:56 PM
Fear the Deer should have won rookie of the year.

Kingz4L
04-27-2010, 07:06 PM
Curry had better FG, FT, and 3pt percentages than Tyreke along with more steals, and assists. He did most of it while being the #2 or 3 player on the team.

I think Tyreke has stolen two awards now. First the MVP of the rookie game which should of went to Blair, and the ROTY which should of went to Curry.

They are both good players, but it is very obvious to me that Curry is a far more efficient player with better overall skills and natural talent.

Evans is just a little more gifted physically. Other than that, I think Curry will win an MVP award someday. He is one of the best rookies I have ever seen. Maybe the best PG in the NBA already

The main reason curry avg 21 in the second half is because they told him to shoot 20 times or more in every game..they let him become the #1 scorer on that team...plus GS style of basketball is run and gun...not half court, just pointing that out, I could care less about awards though to be honest with you..When I see Nash winning it over Kobe in 05 or 06 when KB avg 35ppg I knew the whole award thing is garbage (I loved when Kobe T-Bagged him with that dunk for some revenge), same thing with Wade last year.

DerekRE_3
04-27-2010, 07:20 PM

He shared the rookie/soph game MVP with Blair.
And maybe the best PG in the NBA? :laugh2:

tredigs
04-27-2010, 07:21 PM
The main reason curry avg 21 in the second half is because they told him to shoot 20 times or more in every game..they let him become the #1 scorer on that team...plus GS style of basketball is run and gun...not half court, just pointing that out, I could care less about awards though to be honest with you..When I see Nash winning it over Kobe in 05 or 06 when KB avg 35ppg I knew the whole award thing is garbage (I loved when Kobe T-Bagged him with that dunk for some revenge), same thing with Wade last year.

Actually, you're wrong. Curry only averaged 17 shots a game in the last 3 months, and Monta was still chucking up 22 shots a game (most in the league). Tyreke averaged 16 throughout the whole season, which is more than Curry's 14.3. And his USG% was much higher than Curry's. Any pace difference that there is between the Warriors and Kings is negated and them some when you factor in how much Evans had the ball in his hands. That's a fact.

I'm not going to make a case for Curry any more because there's no point in beating it in, and I'm all for congratulating 'Reke. But at least get the facts right.

D_Rose1118
04-27-2010, 07:26 PM
i think curry should have got it,

but both played unbelievable, i give it up to both of em

NYtilIdie
04-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Tyreke deserved this and there shouldn't even be a second thought on this. If a guy averages 20,5,5 and the only other people to do that were
Jordan
Oscar Robinson
Lebron James.

You should be the hands down favorite. Hell being in that class alone should get you ROY. Joining that group of players should automatically tell you who's going to have a better future.

Kingz4L
04-27-2010, 07:35 PM
Actually, you're wrong. Curry only averaged 17 shots a game in the last 3 months, and Monta was still chucking up 22 shots a game (most in the league). Tyreke averaged 16 throughout the whole season, which is more than Curry's 14.3. And his USG% was much higher than Curry's. Any pace difference that there is between the Warriors and Kings is negated and them some when you factor in how much Evans had the ball in his hands. That's a fact.

I'm not going to make a case for Curry any more because there's no point in beating it in, and I'm all for congratulating 'Reke. But at least get the facts right.

ok here is all I will say...if Curry played like he did in Jan-Apr from Nov-Jan then he would of won ROTY..But to me its not just about the stats, when I saw Evans play...he shut down Arenas,D-Will,Cp3,and B-Diddy from the games I watched..his defense is underrated..all he needs to work on is his Free Throws and Jumper...after that all we need to do is put some shooters around him and we are set for the playoffs.

TheBomb255
04-27-2010, 07:47 PM
I'll make an argument for Brandon Jennings.

First off, the Bucks were supposed to be a 20-25 win team, and managed to win 46 games, and ended up 6th in the east. The main reason is Brandon Jennings ability to run an offense. I don't care what you think about Jennings FG %, or any of that. The fact is, he can change the course of the game at any moment. We all saw what he did against Golden State, where he ended up scoring 55 points (0 in the first quarter) and was schooling Curry most of the game.

You can make an argument that most of the win improvment came from John Salmons, and Andrew Bogut, which is true, I'll give you that. But look what Jennings is doing in the playoffs right now, scoring nearly 20 PPG on 46 percent from the field, and 82% from the FT line. He's also averaging 6 APG in the playoffs, while turning the ball over 1.2 times in 4 games.

I understand that this is an invidual award, but do you really think that a player is going to win the MVP award on a losing team? Or that a player would win the DPOTY award on a losing team? I highly doubt it.

I'll also argue that Evans had NO ONE on his team that can score, and I honestly think that he would score less points on a team that needs to spread the ball around.

Here are the stats for each of the three main players running for the award:

1. Tyreke Evans: 20.1 PPG, 5.3 RPG, 5.8 APG
2. Stephen Curry: 17.5 PPG, 4.5 RPG, 5.9 APG
3. Brandon Jennings: 15.5 PPG, 3.4 RPG, 5.7 APG

SAC's Record: 25-57
GS's Record: 26-56
MIL's Record: 46-36

Which one do you think made the biggest impact to their team's success? Pretty obvious question.

You either have to have all awards be on an indivdual basis, or at least factor in team performances on all the awards.

Evans and Jennings should have been at least Co-ROTY which would have made a ton of sense.

DerekRE_3
04-27-2010, 07:49 PM
^ They have never factored in team success in the ROY award since most top rookies go to bad teams. Also, back in 2003 Lebron James won ROY over Carmelo Anthony even though Anthony was a big part of the Nuggets turnaround when they made the playoffs after being one of the worst teams in the NBA the previous season. They were also much closer statistically than Jennings and Evans are this year.

TheBomb255
04-27-2010, 07:57 PM
I understand that, but then why are most other awards bases off TEAM performances, it should either be that team success factors into it, or neither shouldn't.

I mean, when you have more scorers like the Bucks do, shouldn't Jennings score LESS then a team that doesn't have much scorers at all? Therefore, Evans numbers SHOULD be better because he needs to shoot the ball more etc.

PraiseJesus
04-27-2010, 08:11 PM
Curry's 2011 stats:

25 ppg 4.5 reb 8 ast 2.2 stl
45% 3pt
48% fg
90% ft

That makes him the #1 pg in the league. Maybe #2 behind Chris Paul but Paul can't shoot like Curry.

DerekRE_3
04-27-2010, 08:11 PM
I understand that, but then why are most other awards bases off TEAM performances, it should either be that team success factors into it, or neither shouldn't.

I mean, when you have more scorers like the Bucks do, shouldn't Jennings score LESS then a team that doesn't have much scorers at all? Therefore, Evans numbers SHOULD be better because he needs to shoot the ball more etc.

Because the other awards aren't limited to just rookies. And sure Jennings was a big part of the Bucks success, but Scott Skiles has that team playing defense and Andrew Bogut took his game to a new level. Then add in John Salmons who has been great for them. Jennings is the 3rd best player on his team, and plays in a conference that is much weaker than the West. In the East, .500 gets your team into the playoffs, whereas in the West you have to win almost 50 games to get in. I have a hard time believing that a player that shoots 37% is the one leading his team into the playoffs.

djeller1139
04-27-2010, 08:18 PM

More going against the quote you quoted saying that Tyreke got better over the last 20 games:

Over Curry's last 22 games (March and April combined) here are his averages:

22.2ppg (488pts/22games)
7.6apg (167ast/22games)
4.6rpg (101reb/22games)
2.1spg (46stl/22games)
49% from 3pt
47% fg

Curry also got better as well over his last 20 games (and probably outdid Tyreke at the end of the season as well). However, Tyreke was more 'consistent' from the beginning of the year to the end I suppose.

The argument that a player "got better" can be applied to both players - over the course of the season, both these players (unlike others who hit "walls") improved.

I don't disagree with Tyreke being named ROTY - he deserves it just as much as Curry does. But I don't really think either was more deserving than the other. My thought would be both deserve it, and that all CA fans could be happy, but congratulations to him regardless.

Iodine
04-27-2010, 08:18 PM
Curry's 2011 stats:

25 ppg 4.5 reb 8 ast 2.2 stl
45% 3pt
48% fg
90% ft

That makes him the #1 pg in the league. Maybe #2 behind Chris Paul but Paul can't shoot like Curry.

Not only are you a jesus freak, you can look into the future to, damn your impressive

PraiseJesus
04-27-2010, 08:21 PM
ok here is all I will say...if Curry played like he did in Jan-Apr from Nov-Jan then he would of won ROTY..But to me its not just about the stats, when I saw Evans play...he shut down Arenas,D-Will,Cp3,and B-Diddy from the games I watched..his defense is underrated..all he needs to work on is his Free Throws and Jumper...after that all we need to do is put some shooters around him and we are set for the playoffs.

lol

Yea that can be said about almost every single player in the league.

Usually players consistently shoot the same percentages throughout their career.

djeller1139
04-27-2010, 08:21 PM

Don't forget the Kings traded Kevin Martin at the trade deadline...giving a lot more opportunity to Tyreke Evans..

Curry still had to play with Monta Ellis, who controls the ball a lot (more than he should) and takes the majority of our shots (again, more than he should). Not to detract from Evans, but Curry had his own adversary to overcome.

Hawkeye15
04-27-2010, 08:24 PM
this a an award for all 82 games. Curry was so bad his first 6 weeks, regardless of the circumstances, Evans was the shoe in. Get over it peeps

DerekRE_3
04-27-2010, 08:25 PM
Don't forget the Kings traded Kevin Martin at the trade deadline...giving a lot more opportunity to Tyreke Evans..

Curry still had to play with Monta Ellis, who controls the ball a lot (more than he should) and takes the majority of our shots (again, more than he should). Not to detract from Evans, but Curry had his own adversary to overcome.

You are acting as if we didn't get anyone in return for him. We got Carl Landry who averaged 18 and 7 for us. Evans also had to play in an actual offensive system where Curry basically got to do whatever he wanted with the ball near the end of the season. A player have inflated stats is nothing new to the Warriors.

PraiseJesus
04-27-2010, 08:30 PM

Kevin Martin was hurt all year what are you talking about man

PraiseJesus
04-27-2010, 08:37 PM
this a an award for all 82 games. Curry was so bad his first 6 weeks, regardless of the circumstances, Evans was the shoe in. Get over it peeps

get over nuthin hunny.

Anyone who knows basketball knows what true skills are. Point made case closed.

Kingz4L
04-27-2010, 08:47 PM
A lot of these arguments are really going nowhere...Im all for giving them Co-ROTY but it is what it is..according to the people that work for the NBA, they thought that Evans was the best rookie out there...the only thing i question from them is the MVP award..its more of a award which rewards the best player on the best regular season team..like I said before I think that award has been tainted ever since Nash won it over Kobe when KB averaged like 35,5,5 in 05 or 06.

Vinny642
04-27-2010, 08:50 PM
Congrats to him

montazingmvp
04-27-2010, 09:08 PM

what is tyreke better at besides driving to the rim?

RocketsRule
04-27-2010, 09:10 PM
what is tyreke better at besides driving to the rim?

Defending and rebounding while passing is nearly equal between the two.

montazingmvp
04-27-2010, 09:12 PM
It's Rookie Of The YEAR. Not the 1st couple months. Not the last 3 months. The YEAR. I like Jennings and Curry. I really do. But Evans was the most consistent Rookie from start to finish. Not to mention 20-5-5 averages. Being 1 of only 3 players to average those numbers this season, the other 2 being LBJ and Kobe. He also got to the rim more times than anybody else in the NBA.

so what? he's not anywhere close to either of those players

montazingmvp
04-27-2010, 09:17 PM

this is not true at all...

curry never started gunning up shots, and nothing is more telling of this...than curry's ts%.
he was not just scoring a lot because he was shooting a lot...

montazingmvp
04-27-2010, 09:18 PM
Evans did something that 3 prior players did. 20 points 5 assits 5 rebounds a game. Thats elite company. Curry is a good player but so is Evans. Give some love

so what...evans rookie season isn't even comparable to the other three guys in that group...they were all significantly better than him...

this stat group was created solely to create hype around tyreke...

if you don't understand something simple like this then you're a lost cause

montazingmvp
04-27-2010, 09:25 PM

lol...what is so bad?

12pts 4reb and 5ast isn't all that bad for a rookie in my book..while still shooting decent pct's..

i think your exaggerating...to say the least

montazingmvp
04-27-2010, 09:27 PM
A lot of these arguments are really going nowhere...Im all for giving them Co-ROTY but it is what it is..according to the people that work for the NBA, they thought that Evans was the best rookie out there...the only thing i question from them is the MVP award..its more of a award which rewards the best player on the best regular season team..like I said before I think that award has been tainted ever since Nash won it over Kobe when KB averaged like 35,5,5 in 05 or 06.

kobe avg'd these numbers because he had an insanely high usage rate...and he did all this shooting with average effciency...

kobe still had a great season obviously but nash completely turned a team around with out of this world passing numbers and efficiency numbers

Hawkeye15
04-27-2010, 09:37 PM
lol...what is so bad?

12pts 4reb and 5ast isn't all that bad for a rookie in my book..while still shooting decent pct's..

i think your exaggerating...to say the least

your a little high on the scoring, and 42% isn't exactly what I am calling a shooter. Meanwhile, Tyreke was giving 20-5-5 from the get go. That is why the award is an easy call.

Sadds The Gr8
04-27-2010, 10:02 PM
Not a surprise.

Ragun
04-28-2010, 12:52 AM
props to tyriffic evans.

Kyle916
04-28-2010, 12:56 AM
Easily deserved.

Ovratd1up
04-28-2010, 12:58 AM
Well deserved, he had a great season. But I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing Curry progress in the future.

billy17
04-28-2010, 03:29 AM
so what...evans rookie season isn't even comparable to the other three guys in that group...they were all significantly better than him...

Thats pretty impressive..

But alright, screw the 20 5 5. If were talkin stat lines. Look at Rekes numbers compared to the last 4 or 5 ROY winners. A couple get close, but his clearly top the list. Currys are right in the mix though ;)

DerekRE_3
04-28-2010, 03:55 AM

Ok, then compare Tyreke's rookie year to Lebron's, they are pretty much identical.

tredigs
04-28-2010, 04:19 AM
Ok, then compare Tyreke's rookie year to Lebron's, they are pretty much identical.

It really was. Could argue 'Rekes was better, actually (much better FG%). Steph's numbers would have been insane to look at as well had he been given the same USG% as he did in the latter part of the year from the get-go, which is why checking out his stats from early January on is a better gauge of the player he'll be (he wasn't worse to start the season, he just didn't get his fair shake), but that's here nor there.

Here's the future I see for these two if they stay healthy and motivated:

Steph Curry = Some sort of perfect mix of Steve Nash and Reggie Miller.

Tyreke Evans = D. Wade 2.0.

Depending on their work ethic and team situations, both have the capabilities to lead their squads to the promise land. Make it happen Bay Area.

dodie53
04-28-2010, 04:58 AM
Congrats Tyreke.
well deserved imo.

montazingmvp
04-28-2010, 05:36 AM

tyreke's are actually better...

PraiseJesus
04-28-2010, 02:20 PM
It really was. Could argue 'Rekes was better, actually (much better FG%). Steph's numbers would have been insane to look at as well had he been given the same USG% as he did in the latter part of the year from the get-go, which is why checking out his stats from early January on is a better gauge of the player he'll be (he wasn't worse to start the season, he just didn't get his fair shake), but that's here nor there.

Here's the future I see for these two if they stay healthy and motivated:

Steph Curry = Some sort of perfect mix of Steve Nash and Reggie Miller.

Tyreke Evans = D. Wade 2.0.

Depending on their work ethic and team situations, both have the capabilities to lead their squads to the promise land. Make it happen Bay Area.

Perfect mix of Nash and Miller, damn. Thats a good way to put it. Even though Nash is a pretty darn good shooter, Curry is probably better.

Curry is my new favorite player in the NBA.

GSW Hoops
04-28-2010, 02:23 PM

Give it up man. Tyreke had a better rookie season and deserves the award.

Be grateful that the Warriors have a great young player in Curry.

billy17
04-28-2010, 02:32 PM

Thank youuuuuuuuu!

DerekRE_3
04-28-2010, 02:40 PM
tyreke's are actually better...

Exactly my point. He deserves this award. He put up those numbers all season long.

PraiseJesus
04-28-2010, 08:09 PM

Tyreke had a good season yes, but Curry just had a better one.

In my opinion he doesn't deserve the award.

IMO, he also didn't deserve the MVP of the rookie sophomore game.

I also thought it was messed up that the NBA revoked Dell Curry's ROTY vote...

If I didn't know any better, I would say that there is some kind of conspiracy to make Tyreke Evans a superstar.

tredigs
04-28-2010, 09:37 PM

If I didn't know any better, I would say that there is some kind of conspiracy to make Tyreke Evans a superstar.

No, he definitely had a major case for the award. Probably the best case, even though I do think Curry had the better year -- the 20/5/5 was hyped well and it is impressive.

Anyway, the award I just heard confirmation that Evans did indeed get the award, and it's being made official 12:30 tomorrow.

avrpatsfan
04-28-2010, 09:41 PM
Evans deserved it. Curry was a close second though.

iFYouSeekAmy
04-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Tyreke Evans should be ROY because..?
He has the stats; he joins Oscar Robertson, Michael Jordan and Lebron James as the only players to have averaged at least 20 points, 5 rebounds, and 5 assists in their rookie seasons.

Is there another reason? If so, I haven't heard it.

He's not a point guard. Even John Hollinger, added Tyreke Evans on his list of Most Selfish Chuckers in the NBA:

"Evans plays point guard much of the time and thus has a decent assist ratio, but that masks his major weakness as a playmaker: He thinks sequentially. As in, "First, I'll look for my shot; only when I am cut off, I'll look to see what's going on around me." As a result he might be one of the most frustrating teammates in the league.

He's one of a handful of players with a TS% under 53 and a usage rate above 25, but the visual is what really puts him over the top -- the idea of involving people just for the sake of their participation in the offense seems completely foreign to him. Too many times he's passing only as a last resort.

If that analysis, or even the experience of watching Evans ball-hog yourself, has not convinced you that Evans is not a point guard, then consider this: Evans could not co-exist in the same backcourt with one of the premier offensive off-guards in the league, Kevin Martin. Their lack of chemistry forced the trade of Martin to the Rockets at mid-season. Who replaced Martin in the backcourt alongside Tyreke Evans? Point guard Beno Udrih.
In other words, the Kings themselves don't think Tyreke Evans is a point guard.

Evans can't shoot from outside, and is a very poor defender. These are qualities that are sometimes overlooked in a point guard.
But are they qualities you want in your shooting guard? Evans is still a long way from being a winning basketball player.

Now reconsider Evans' 20-5-5 stats. Still very impressive, of course, but far less impressive as an off guard than as a point guard.

Check this out.. a few seasons ago, Stephen Jackson averaged 20.7 - 5.1 - 6.5 for the Warriors, and received no recognition at all from the NBA's coaches or the national press. No all-star consideration, no laudatory articles. No talks.

Evans doesn't make his team or his teammates better. Led by Evans, the Kings have had an absolutely disastrous season. Why? Apart from the early injury to Martin, and a late injury to Spencer Hawes the Kings have enjoyed a remarkably healthy season. But rather than show improvement, they have fallen apart in the second half of the season. Even the subtraction of Martin and the addition of the heralded Carl Landry did nothing to improve them. Why?
Players whom Tyreke Evans has failed to improve: Kevin Martin, obviously. But also his big men, Spencer Hawes, Jason Thompson, and Andres Nocioni. Both Hawes and Nocioni are seriously disgruntled over their role in the Kings' offense. Why?
How did Tyreke Evans achieve his remarkable stats? If you want to know why Evans failed to make his teammates and his team better, this is where you should start.
Evans didn't say so specifically, but there can be no doubt that his agents keep calling to make sure he does the math.
Evans speaks:
"It's like, '20-5-5,' " he related, with a slight headshake. " 'You gotta get it.' People tell me I need this many rebounds or that many points. But ... the Rookie of the Year Award is the one I want....

As the losing persists, some of the Kings have become resigned to an offensive scheme that often results in excessive dribbling and a complete absence of ball and body movement. Both primary ballhandlers - Evans and Beno Udrih - are major offenders, though hardly the only culprits. Overdribbling spreads like a bad cold.
Even Coach Wesphal said, that Tyreke should call for plays, call for screens, share the ball, and even not ball-hog.

And here's more still, a description of the game in which Evans secured his statistical milestone. If you have trouble interpreting any of this, I'll help you out; Tyreke Evans' stat-hunting Rookie of the Year campaign has killed the Kings' offensive chemistry. He is playing the game for all the wrong reasons. Is this what ROY is about? Maybe Brandon Jennings has been on a winning playoff team.. but look.
Bogut, Salmons, Mbah a Moute, Ilyasova, Ridnour, Skiles. The Eastern Conference. In other words, all the other reasons that the Bucks are going to the playoffs. Did Jennings really lead the Bucks into the playoffs, or did they drag him?

Stephen Curry should've been ROY. Curry hasn't averaged 20-5-5 over the entire season. His averages are 17.2 - 5.9 - 4.4. But Curry didn't have an established role with the Warriors at the beginning of the season. He had to deal with the Stephen Jackson turmoil, and something even more difficult: being frozen out of the offense by Monta Ellis, who deeply resented his presence. Curry did not become a full time player, nor begin to take the reins of the Warriors offense until the month of January. These are his averages in his 48 starts after January 1st: 20.6 - 6.7 - 4.8. These are his averages in his first 7 games in April, in which Monta Ellis missed 5 games, and the Warriors' record was 4-3: 24.1 - 8.1 - 6. (This does not include the arguably meaningless last game of the season, in which Curry dropped 42 points, 9 rebounds, and 8 assists in a win in Portland.)

He achieved these averages as a point guard. A REAL point guard. Playing the game the RIGHT way. Stephen Curry, according to his coach Don Nelson, "plays the game for all the right reasons."

More stats; Curry has broken the record for three-pointers made by a rookie, while shooting 43% from three. He is 8th in the entire NBA in three-point shooting. His overall shooting percentages are 46-43-88, making him a great bet to eventually join the elite club of 50-40-90 shooters headlined by Larry Bird, Reggie Miller and Steve Nash. Just as a reference, compare Curry's shooting percentages in his rookie year to those of Steve Nash in his first three seasons.

On the defensive side of the ledger, Curry is 3rd in the entire NBA in steals.
Stephen Curry makes his team and his teammates better: The Warriors have had a woeful season, but this has had nothing to do with Stephen Curry. It has had to do with the loss, for the season, of the Warriors entire frontline, and both of their starting wing players. Biedrins, Randolph, Wright, Moore and Radmanovich all suffered season ending injuries. Turiaf missed major time, and was seriously limited even when playing. Azubuike was lost to injury early, and Jackson forced himself off the team.

As has been well chronicled, the Warriors have played ridiculously short-handed all season long. This team was held together by midseason D-League call-ups, that brought the number of players available to play each night up to a ridiculously low six, seven or eight. In the midst of all of these injury woes, Curry was the iron-man, playing in all but 2 games. He has been a major part of the glue that has kept this decimated Warriors squad together, and playing hard all season long.

As Curry has assumed the mantle of leadership with the Warriors, the team has gotten better. Consider the recent stretch of games the Warriors played without Monta Ellis, which secured Don Nelson the record for most lifetime coaching wins: the Warriors record in that stretch was 4-3, with three D-leaguers getting substantial minutes.

And what of Curry's work with the D-leaguers? The on-court chemistry he has achieved with Chris Hunter and Anthony Tolliver, in a matter of weeks, is nothing short of remarkable. Could Tyreke Evans, who failed in an entire season to attain any chemistry with his established high-draft-pick big men, have led the Warriors D-leaguers the way Curry has?

Stephen Curry is loved by his teammates. Don Nelson recently referred to the extraordinary chemistry in the Warriors' locker room, calling the Warriors' young core of players "Curry's guys."

How did Stephen Curry earn his teammates respect? By being an extraordinary player and point guard, certainly. But also by being unselfish. By looking for the pass before looking for the shot. By working on his defense. By being a workhorse. By being a leader.

By playing the game the RIGHT way, and for the RIGHT reasons.

The greatness quotient: Real greatness is foreshadowed in Curry's rookie stats. And not just in his stats, but in the opinion of his head coach, and many other coaches and commentators around the league, who consider him on a par with Steve Nash in terms of basketball IQ.

Brandon Jennings has me wondering if he really is a legitimate NBA starter. Tyreke Evans has me wondering whether he can ever be the kind of player who makes his teammates better, who leads his team into the playoffs, who becomes worthy of an all-star selection.

I don't wonder about those things with Stephen Curry. I have no doubt that he will lead his team into the playoffs many times, and earn many all-star selections.

OnWisconsin2007
04-28-2010, 10:53 PM
Evans is deserving.

BUT...Jennings is having the better season. Who's winning huge crunch time games on the road in the playoffs, while Evans and Curry watch?

tredigs
04-28-2010, 11:03 PM
Evans is deserving.

BUT...Jennings is having the better season. Who's winning huge crunch time games on the road in the playoffs, while Evans and Curry watch?

The guy on the better team who plays in the eastern conference is bud. If they're in the West with the Dubs and Kings, they're drinking mai thai's right now. And Curry would make the Bucks a much better team.

To the Warriors fan above who wrote that semi-sensical diatribe, give it a rest. It's an award, it means nothing. I obviously think that Steph is the better player and had the better year, but it's really not worth ranting about. Just give props and be happy the Dubs got the player you like.

THE MTL
04-28-2010, 11:05 PM
Evans 20-5-5 is still nice no matter how u look at it. But he does fail to make his teammates better and his team is not as efficient with him on the floor nor is Evans "true" shooting percentage that impressive.

Brandon Jennings is a true leader. Eventhough, he hasnt been the best player on his team...he's been the tone setter. And u see it in the playoffs. Brandon Jennings reminds me of an Allen Iverson who knows how to win.

billy17
04-28-2010, 11:11 PM
Evans can't shoot from outside, and is a very poor defender.

Youre an idiot, thats all I can say

Stephen Curry, BTW, is God!

Be happy you got a great player in the draft and STFU for a minute while Reke hoists the trophy

OnWisconsin2007
04-28-2010, 11:27 PM
The guy on the better team who plays in the eastern conference is bud. If they're in the West with the Dubs and Kings, they're drinking mai thai's right now. And Curry would make the Bucks a much better team.

If, if, if. All that matters is Brandon Jennings started 82 teams for the most resilient, tough-minded, underdog team in the playoffs. Set the tone from the beginning of the season until game 5, hitting clutch free throws on the road. Jennings has shown better potential than either of those guys, and has proven to be a clutch player very early in his career. Not saying Evans should not have won, but I think you can make a strong case for Jennings having the best season.

billy17
04-28-2010, 11:36 PM
If, if, if. All that matters is Brandon Jennings started 82 teams for the most resilient, tough-minded, underdog team in the playoffs. Set the tone from the beginning of the season until game 5, hitting clutch free throws on the road. Jennings has shown better potential than either of those guys, and has proven to be a clutch player very early in his career. Not saying Evans should not have won, but I think you can make a strong case for Jennings having the best season.

Thats not all that matters

He shot a great % though, something Reke and Curry didnt do.

Miltown34
04-28-2010, 11:48 PM
Tyreke I guess should win since Jennings and Curry had great half or 3/4 seasons...But Idc we are doing things and I think jennings will have big monster games in the playoff throughout his career more than any 1 of them....Some of it's because I trust are GM, but Go Bucks

Miltown34
04-28-2010, 11:49 PM
Why does everybody want S. Curry I don't, Jennings is a lot quicker plus Jennings has a higher ceiling

Miltown34
04-28-2010, 11:52 PM
He has the stats; he joins Oscar Robertson, Michael Jordan and Lebron James as the only players to have averaged at least 20 points, 5 rebounds, and 5 assists in their rookie seasons.

He's not a point guard. Even John Hollinger, added Tyreke Evans on his list of Most Selfish Chuckers in the NBA:

"Evans plays point guard much of the time and thus has a decent assist ratio, but that masks his major weakness as a playmaker: He thinks sequentially. As in, "First, I'll look for my shot; only when I am cut off, I'll look to see what's going on around me." As a result he might be one of the most frustrating teammates in the league.

He's one of a handful of players with a TS% under 53 and a usage rate above 25, but the visual is what really puts him over the top -- the idea of involving people just for the sake of their participation in the offense seems completely foreign to him. Too many times he's passing only as a last resort.

If that analysis, or even the experience of watching Evans ball-hog yourself, has not convinced you that Evans is not a point guard, then consider this: Evans could not co-exist in the same backcourt with one of the premier offensive off-guards in the league, Kevin Martin. Their lack of chemistry forced the trade of Martin to the Rockets at mid-season. Who replaced Martin in the backcourt alongside Tyreke Evans? Point guard Beno Udrih.

Evans can't shoot from outside, and is a very poor defender. These are qualities that are sometimes overlooked in a point guard.
But are they qualities you want in your shooting guard? Evans is still a long way from being a winning basketball player.

Now reconsider Evans' 20-5-5 stats. Still very impressive, of course, but far less impressive as an off guard than as a point guard.

Check this out.. a few seasons ago, Stephen Jackson averaged 20.7 - 5.1 - 6.5 for the Warriors, and received no recognition at all from the NBA's coaches or the national press. No all-star consideration, no laudatory articles. No talks.

Evans doesn't make his team or his teammates better. Led by Evans, the Kings have had an absolutely disastrous season. Why? Apart from the early injury to Martin, and a late injury to Spencer Hawes the Kings have enjoyed a remarkably healthy season. But rather than show improvement, they have fallen apart in the second half of the season. Even the subtraction of Martin and the addition of the heralded Carl Landry did nothing to improve them. Why?
Players whom Tyreke Evans has failed to improve: Kevin Martin, obviously. But also his big men, Spencer Hawes, Jason Thompson, and Andres Nocioni. Both Hawes and Nocioni are seriously disgruntled over their role in the Kings' offense. Why?
How did Tyreke Evans achieve his remarkable stats? If you want to know why Evans failed to make his teammates and his team better, this is where you should start.
Evans didn't say so specifically, but there can be no doubt that his agents keep calling to make sure he does the math.
Evans speaks:
"It's like, '20-5-5,' " he related, with a slight headshake. " 'You gotta get it.' People tell me I need this many rebounds or that many points. But ... the Rookie of the Year Award is the one I want....

As the losing persists, some of the Kings have become resigned to an offensive scheme that often results in excessive dribbling and a complete absence of ball and body movement. Both primary ballhandlers - Evans and Beno Udrih - are major offenders, though hardly the only culprits. Overdribbling spreads like a bad cold.
Even Coach Wesphal said, that Tyreke should call for plays, call for screens, share the ball, and even not ball-hog.

And here's more still, a description of the game in which Evans secured his statistical milestone. If you have trouble interpreting any of this, I'll help you out; Tyreke Evans' stat-hunting Rookie of the Year campaign has killed the Kings' offensive chemistry. He is playing the game for all the wrong reasons. Is this what ROY is about? Maybe Brandon Jennings has been on a winning playoff team.. but look.
Bogut, Salmons, Mbah a Moute, Ilyasova, Ridnour, Skiles. The Eastern Conference. In other words, all the other reasons that the Bucks are going to the playoffs. Did Jennings really lead the Bucks into the playoffs, or did they drag him?

Stephen Curry should've been ROY. Curry hasn't averaged 20-5-5 over the entire season. His averages are 17.2 - 5.9 - 4.4. But Curry didn't have an established role with the Warriors at the beginning of the season. He had to deal with the Stephen Jackson turmoil, and something even more difficult: being frozen out of the offense by Monta Ellis, who deeply resented his presence. Curry did not become a full time player, nor begin to take the reins of the Warriors offense until the month of January. These are his averages in his 48 starts after January 1st: 20.6 - 6.7 - 4.8. These are his averages in his first 7 games in April, in which Monta Ellis missed 5 games, and the Warriors' record was 4-3: 24.1 - 8.1 - 6. (This does not include the arguably meaningless last game of the season, in which Curry dropped 42 points, 9 rebounds, and 8 assists in a win in Portland.)

He achieved these averages as a point guard. A REAL point guard. Playing the game the RIGHT way. Stephen Curry, according to his coach Don Nelson, "plays the game for all the right reasons."

More stats; Curry has broken the record for three-pointers made by a rookie, while shooting 43% from three. He is 8th in the entire NBA in three-point shooting. His overall shooting percentages are 46-43-88, making him a great bet to eventually join the elite club of 50-40-90 shooters headlined by Larry Bird, Reggie Miller and Steve Nash. Just as a reference, compare Curry's shooting percentages in his rookie year to those of Steve Nash in his first three seasons.

Stephen Curry makes his team and his teammates better: The Warriors have had a woeful season, but this has had nothing to do with Stephen Curry. It has had to do with the loss, for the season, of the Warriors entire frontline, and both of their starting wing players. Biedrins, Randolph, Wright, Moore and Radmanovich all suffered season ending injuries. Turiaf missed major time, and was seriously limited even when playing. Azubuike was lost to injury early, and Jackson forced himself off the team.

As has been well chronicled, the Warriors have played ridiculously short-handed all season long. This team was held together by midseason D-League call-ups, that brought the number of players available to play each night up to a ridiculously low six, seven or eight. In the midst of all of these injury woes, Curry was the iron-man, playing in all but 2 games. He has been a major part of the glue that has kept this decimated Warriors squad together, and playing hard all season long.

As Curry has assumed the mantle of leadership with the Warriors, the team has gotten better. Consider the recent stretch of games the Warriors played without Monta Ellis, which secured Don Nelson the record for most lifetime coaching wins: the Warriors record in that stretch was 4-3, with three D-leaguers getting substantial minutes.

And what of Curry's work with the D-leaguers? The on-court chemistry he has achieved with Chris Hunter and Anthony Tolliver, in a matter of weeks, is nothing short of remarkable. Could Tyreke Evans, who failed in an entire season to attain any chemistry with his established high-draft-pick big men, have led the Warriors D-leaguers the way Curry has?

Stephen Curry is loved by his teammates. Don Nelson recently referred to the extraordinary chemistry in the Warriors' locker room, calling the Warriors' young core of players "Curry's guys."

How did Stephen Curry earn his teammates respect? By being an extraordinary player and point guard, certainly. But also by being unselfish. By looking for the pass before looking for the shot. By working on his defense. By being a workhorse. By being a leader.

The greatness quotient: Real greatness is foreshadowed in Curry's rookie stats. And not just in his stats, but in the opinion of his head coach, and many other coaches and commentators around the league, who consider him on a par with Steve Nash in terms of basketball IQ.

Brandon Jennings has me wondering if he really is a legitimate NBA starter. Tyreke Evans has me wondering whether he can ever be the kind of player who makes his teammates better, who leads his team into the playoffs, who becomes worthy of an all-star selection.

I don't wonder about those things with Stephen Curry. I have no doubt that he will lead his team into the playoffs many times, and earn many all-star selections.

Damn bro let it go lol.....He has you wondering if he's a legit starter....Jennings would be in his sophmore year in college....Now tell me what Curry would do if he came out about 2 years earlier?

i'myourdaddy
04-29-2010, 12:01 AM
I guess the whole NBA is a King homer and they voted for Evans to be ROY...wait that doesnt sound right...oh yeah because Evans is a stud and rightfully ROY

Meth
04-29-2010, 12:01 AM

Evans speaks:

Very true.

Also, I would have to agree with most or a large majority of that post..
Good read.

jackdawson
04-29-2010, 12:09 AM
Well deserved Reke. Hype started with Jennings and ended with Curry, Reke was consistent for the whole year. Plus joining Oscar, Jordan, LeBron as a rookie is as fantastic as it can get.

OnWisconsin2007
04-29-2010, 12:11 AM
Very true.

Also, I would have to agree with most or a large majority of that post..
Good read.

Ilyasova, Ridnour, Mbah a MOute...those guys did not have a bigger impact than Jennings. That's not correct at all.

ClayMatthews
04-29-2010, 12:45 AM
Brandon Jennings aka Young Buck should be the rookie of the year. Where is his team? The playoffs. What about the other rookies in the NBA?.. Oh yeah they are watching Young Buck lead his team to a 3 to 2 series lead over the hawks. He has 3 games in the series with 20+ points. And the bucks are without bogut. Nobody gave them a chance to go this far. Jennings makes the baskets, clutch at his free throws, good defense, and spreads the ball to this teammates with some amazing passes.

billy17
04-29-2010, 01:55 AM
Brandon Jennings aka Young Buck should be the rookie of the year. Where is his team? The playoffs. What about the other rookies in the NBA?.. Oh yeah they are watching Young Buck lead his team to a 3 to 2 series lead over the hawks. He has 3 games in the series with 20+ points. And the bucks are without bogut. Nobody gave them a chance to go this far. Jennings makes the baskets, clutch at his free throws, good defense, and spreads the ball to this teammates with some amazing passes.

Unfortunately he wont.

I wish we got to see what Reke and Curry would do rookie year come playoff time..

Gigantes4Life
04-29-2010, 02:02 AM

Last I checked it was called Rookie of the Year, not Rookie of the Year with the team that made the playoffs in the Eastern Conference.

Bulls_fan90
04-29-2010, 02:13 AM
Do the All-Rookie teams get announced at the same time as Rookie of the year?

MrCrossOver
04-29-2010, 02:14 AM
Curry is the BETTER player IMO and I think Jennings deserved it the most. Tyreke Evans was good throughout the whole year, true, but he didnt have to deal with two ballhogs in Stephen Jackson and Monta Ellis who took time and ball away from Stephen Curry.

Curry had to work with less than 8 players, most of which were d-leaguers, and the Warriors ended up with a better record than the Kings....plus, he made those d-leaguers better

Tyreke proved that he can be a prolific scorer, but his team isnt good. Jennings on the other hand turned the Bucks around because he brings soo much energy to the court and right now they are leading the series 3-2 against Atlanta without Andrew Bogut.

PraiseJesus
04-29-2010, 02:18 AM

Evans speaks:

Did u write that man?

Very nice.

I agree 100%

This ROTY snub will just be more fuel to the fire for him. But I do wish that they got this one right.

It's amazing how much people trust 'Experts' sometimes. When Johnny Flynn and Ricky Rubio went before Curry and Jennings in the draft I was laughing my butt off.

What about the year that Oden went over Durant, he was the consensus #1 pick right???

lol. People who know basketball, like the guy above, know that Curry has a chance to be one of the best players of all time if he develops as he should.

I kinda wish the Knicks could of gotten him though. Him + D'Antoni and the Garden would of been great.

PraiseJesus
04-29-2010, 02:19 AM
Curry is the BETTER player IMO and I think Jennings deserved it the most. Tyreke Evans was good throughout the whole year, true, but he didnt have to deal with two ballhogs in Stephen Jackson and Monta Ellis who took time and ball away from Stephen Curry.

Curry had to work with less than 8 players, most of which were d-leaguers, and the Warriors ended up with a better record than the Kings....plus, he made those d-leaguers better

Tyreke proved that he can be a prolific scorer, but his team isnt good. Jennings on the other hand turned the Bucks around because he brings soo much energy to the court and right now they are leading the series 3-2 against Atlanta without Andrew Bogut.

I like Jennings a lot also but his shooting % is abysmal.

I actually contribute a lot of the Bucks success to John Salmons who has always been a very underrated player.

billy17
04-29-2010, 02:22 AM

The Bucks are more than just Brandon Jennings. Hes a great player but he didnt do what Tyreke and Curry did the entire season, as consistently.

Plus.. It has a huge effect on how we feel, but the playoff performance didnt factor in for the voters

ntat
04-29-2010, 02:39 AM
no. curry is a better point guard. hes a better shooter, ball handler, passer, has more court vision, has a higher basketball IQ

you need to back the bull-**** train up for a sec brotha...

ntat
04-29-2010, 02:41 AM
Why couldn't this be a co-ROTY situation? It's too tough for me to pick one over the other.

because one clearly had a better season than the other thats why.

ntat
04-29-2010, 02:42 AM
Jennings got robbed

yeah his 36% from the floor this year stole the award from him.

MrCrossOver
04-29-2010, 02:43 AM
I like Jennings a lot also but his shooting % is abysmal.

I actually contribute a lot of the Bucks success to John Salmons who has always been a very underrated player.

Salmons is good, but not underrated. I mean, he didnt do much in Sacramento or with the Bulls...except score.

ntat
04-29-2010, 02:46 AM

nto just 1 of 3 players this season, he is 1 of 4 rookies to ever go 20 5 5

ntat
04-29-2010, 02:52 AM
he also averaged less points per game than both curry and evans and shot 36% from the floor, and the playoffs dont factor in the ROY award. But the Bucks werent doing **** till salmons came.

ntat
04-29-2010, 02:56 AM

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

jmtapia
04-29-2010, 03:30 AM

excuse me?? Tyreke had a great season. Not only offensively but also showing his versatility to defend multiple positions.

no conspiracy needed... Evans is just a beast and deserves this award.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXB4bzEdLKU

Gigantes4Life
04-29-2010, 03:35 AM
excuse me?? Tyreke had a great season. Not only offensively but also showing his versatility to defend multiple positions.

Who needs a jumpshot when you're the best at getting to the rim.

MrCrossOver
04-29-2010, 03:50 AM

Watch as many youtube videos as you want, but Tyreke hasnt made his team any better and it doesnt negate the fact that he can be a ballhog (I believe he was ranked on espn).

LakersIn5
04-29-2010, 05:07 AM
tyreke doesnt share the ball w/ anyone on his team thats why his stats is that good.

Caps1989
04-29-2010, 06:22 AM

Thats such a challenging stat to pile up, the range one must have to sink those shots are dumbfounding :)

Hawkeye15
04-29-2010, 07:44 AM
without even bothering to go through this thread, I can only assume Jennings play has brought it back to the front. Fact-ROY is a regular season award. Jennings could go for 50/20/20 in the 1st round, and it doesn't matter. Evans was the best rookie in the regular season, from game 1-82. Not game 1-35, or game 50-82. All 82 games people.

Iodine
04-29-2010, 10:32 AM
It's times like these when my life is in the ****er that I can truely find how funny it is when people get so worked up over an award that really doesnt mean much

GSW Hoops
04-29-2010, 12:53 PM
It's times like these when my life is in the ****er that I can truely find how funny it is when people get so worked up over an award that really doesnt mean much

Haha, yeah. Funny how "basketball fans" have such a hard time enjoying basketball if their team isn't winning or their guy isn't #1.

I love Steph Curry, but Tyreke deserved the award. I look forward to both having great careers.

JNA17
04-29-2010, 01:07 PM
well deserved