PDA

View Full Version : How would you grade the Refs in the playoffs?

Double_R
04-27-2010, 11:34 AM
I am a Magic fan so obviously I think the refs are insanely terrible, but I wondered what other people thought about the officiating in this years playoffs.

Raph12
04-27-2010, 12:09 PM
The officiating should be the same in every series, different games have refs officiating in different ways... In any case, Dwight avging 5.5fpg is just bs.

still1ballin
04-27-2010, 01:23 PM
The officiating should be the same in every series, different games have refs officiating in different ways... In any case, Dwight avging 5.5fpg is just bs.

I haven't seen much of that series, but on TNT last night they were talking about that and Charles were saying that Howard has been commiting dumb fouls, and that he is too good for that.

iggypop123
04-27-2010, 01:36 PM
howard has become a whiner cause in the first 2 games it was bs but now its just howard trying to use it as an excuse. with that said the refs question is likely decided on what team you root for. if you love the thunder the refs have been amazing. if you like the lakers its terrible and biased. and so on with other teams

Double_R
04-27-2010, 01:46 PM
howard has become a whiner cause in the first 2 games it was bs but now its just howard trying to use it as an excuse. with that said the refs question is likely decided on what team you root for. if you love the thunder the refs have been amazing. if you like the lakers its terrible and biased. and so on with other teams

I dunno man, Dwight hasn't ever been in fould trouble 3 straight games, let alone 4, so it seems weird that they are callling every little thing on him now... They need to let the big guys play... I'm not saying that Dwight doesn't pick up a dumb foul here and there, but I think the refs are just way to whistle happy, not just against the Magic, but everyone... I mean it takes away from the game... Most of the fouls that they are calling on Dwight are real ticky tack fouls that are usually not called during the regular season, so why are they calling them now? Lebron can't take a foul if he's trying and Vince Carter is fouling out of games, it seems weird to me.

jacquewho?
04-27-2010, 01:49 PM
They've been below average. The Mavs/Spurs game as well as the Nuggets/Jazz most recent games were very poorly officiated. And seems like the first 2 games in CLE were heavily favored towards the Cavs.

Sadds The Gr8
04-27-2010, 01:55 PM

this.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-27-2010, 01:58 PM
average

horrible calls in mix like always

D-Will4Prez
04-27-2010, 02:01 PM
They have actually been better during the playoffs than during the season as far as I can tell. Last night's Denver/Utah game they could have easily called 3 flagrants but they let men play like men which is how it's supposed to be during the playoffs.

kEviN21
04-27-2010, 02:04 PM
They have been good, minus the lame calls vs Dwight. (maybe the NBA wanted a longer match up for bigger revenues lol)

MikefromMars
04-27-2010, 02:50 PM
They've been below average. The Mavs/Spurs game as well as the Nuggets/Jazz most recent games were very poorly officiated. And seems like the first 2 games in CLE were heavily favored towards the Cavs.

I agree with the Spurs/Mavs, but the calls have been consistently terrible. As long as they are allocating the bad calls evenly, it's alright. I would say consistent refs are good refs.

LA_cabals
04-27-2010, 02:55 PM
E: They are just following instructions (League's Agenda)

D Roses Bulls
04-27-2010, 05:02 PM
I think the refs have been pretty bad so far. let howard play for god sakes. so far though they haven't been as bad as last year, but the playoffs are still young so im sure they will get worse.

SteveNash
04-27-2010, 05:06 PM
They have been terrible so far. I usually give NBA refs the benefit of the doubt as they're usually pretty good and are a relief after sitting through the crap jobs the NCAA refs do during tournament time. But they've just been awful so far. Hopefully it improves.

G-Funk
04-28-2010, 10:58 AM
GAME1 okc 1 24 vs l.a 22

GAME2 okc 33 vs. l.a 30

GAME3 okc 34 vs l.a 12

GAME4 okc 48 vs l.a 28

GAME5 okc 24 vs l.a. 31

mikantsass
04-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Dwight is so big and physical it is tough NOT to call fouls on him. Plus he complains to no end and I think that draws more attention to him. But overall there have been some horrible calls. You have your typical LeBron calls (I feel for you Bulls fans, we have to play him next round), but I think there has been many bad calls. Its funny, one can wonder if the refs/NBA is trying to keep certain series going or if the refs just really are that bad

VivaLaShark
04-28-2010, 11:13 AM
Same things happened in the Chicago game last night... Miller and Noah got 3 foul calls in a row while D-ing up Shaq in the post. They were fouls on the floor not even shooting. It was ridiculous.

Anon
04-28-2010, 11:21 AM
In 82 regular season games this season Dwight averaged 4.8 fouls per 48 minutes. In 4 playoff games he is averaging 10 fouls per 48 minutes. Dwight did not change how he plays all of the sudden. If anything he was less aggressive because of the foul trouble. The refs have been terrible.

twoearl
04-28-2010, 11:27 AM
people pay WAY to much attention to REFs. They are human just like we are, they are going to make mistakes. They are no robots... lol It's up to the players to not let the refs decide a game.

Chicagofaithful
04-28-2010, 11:34 AM
The bulls lost last night's game by 2 points... in the final quarter there were about 8 calls that the announcers blatantly said "are you kidding me?" that doesn't happen very often

Montana
04-28-2010, 11:36 AM
some of the games ive watched lately the officiating has been below average...some of the calls made in the bulls v cavs last game left me scratching my head

JasonJohnHorn
04-28-2010, 11:38 AM
An Orlando fan thinks the officials are terrible? I dont get it. They are the only team to sweep in the first round? Obviously they cant be doing that bad.

I cant assess the officals to be honest. I've caught a couple of the Bull/Cavs games, a couple haves from the Spurs/Mavs series, the first and last Heat/Celtics games, and I've got to say, I've seen no glaring favortism. There were a couple calls in game four of the Mavs/Spurs series, when the Spurs shut down the Mavs for 8 minutes between the 3rd 4th quarter, Dirk was getting furious and he went in aggressively on offence, once he drew a foul (good agggresive play), but the next trip up he speared Duncan with his shoulder to create space- a clear offensvie fouls- and no call. After that the tensions starting get high and hte refs threw out a couple of flagarants, one was iffy, but I understood that at that point in the game players were on edge and the officials had to send a message that the players were not going to be allowed to get out of line. I thought overall that game was officialed fairly well, as were the Cavs/Bulls games I saw (though I'm sure chi-town fans wouldnt agree) and I thought the Celtic/Heat games i saw were done pretty well, though if you listened to Boston's commentators, you'd think the officials were wearing Miami jerseys even though Boston had a ten point cushion for most of game 5.

The games I've gotten to watch, I liked because I didnt think the officials were too much of a persence, but I've only seen about a half a dozen games in the post season, and there have been over 30 games played so far... so that is a small sample.

DeyAce
04-28-2010, 11:49 AM
F- Bulls/Cavs series especially the last game.

Montana
04-28-2010, 11:49 AM
i agree with you dude...i just couldnt believe how horrible it was

DeyAce
04-28-2010, 11:54 AM
I don't know why Bron dosen't drive it in every play, he's gonna get the call.

Raph12
04-28-2010, 12:34 PM
An Orlando fan thinks the officials are terrible? I dont get it. They are the only team to sweep in the first round? Obviously they cant be doing that bad.

Dwight played 26mpg, highest being 27.5mins in game 2 and lowest being 23mins in Game 4. The Cats aren't on our level for them to take advantage, but if Dwight plays 26mpg against the Cavs, there may be another sweep, but in their favor. Look at the way Shaq plays and then watch Dwight play, Shaq gets calls in his favor on both ends, Dwight can't get it on either end.

Dwight hasn't changed how he plays, the refs changed how they officiate the game... At least for Foul-on-you.

BkOriginalOne
04-28-2010, 12:53 PM
Watching some of the Bulls series and the Nuggets series, I can say that they are as lame as always.

SteveNash
04-28-2010, 03:35 PM

Most Orlando fans are biased and think that Dwight is a good defender that doesn't commit stupid fouls all the time and think he has a decent post game where he doesn't commit offensive fouls.

Overall in the series, the Magic got much more of a benefit from the refs. But Magic fans want to cry because their alleged superstar just proved he wasn't one.

Raph12
04-28-2010, 05:03 PM
Most Orlando fans are biased and think that Dwight is a good defender that doesn't commit stupid fouls all the time and think he has a decent post game where he doesn't commit offensive fouls.

Overall in the series, the Magic got much more of a benefit from the refs. But Magic fans want to cry because their alleged superstar just proved he wasn't one.

Yeah well according to your sig after the EC semis, Dwight will be a Top 5 center of all-time and no player in the league will be able to touch him lol... Get the hate out while you can.

TheBomb255
04-28-2010, 06:52 PM
Wouldn't it make much more sense for the NBA to have the same refs throughout each games series.

Like with the Bucks-Hawks, why not have the same refs, ref each game in that series?

Like tonight, the refs for the Bucks lineup is this:

Dick Bavetta
Joe DeRosa
Marc Davis

The Bucks have a sub 29% winning percentage when Bavetta refs, and Davis made the absoutle worst call against the Bucks against the Lakers earlier this season. (Difference between 6th and 5th seed)

I'm just wondering why they don't have the same refs throughout each playoff series.

Anyone know why that is?

_KB24_
04-28-2010, 07:23 PM
It has been way too inconsistent. Shaq got HORRIBLE calls last game when doing his post up spin move. He has been doing that for over a decade now, and it is stupid to call it when Miller is flopping. Rose has been hammered all series long and is ridiculous on the missed calls they have made. Game 4 was probally the weakest game called in OKC, but Game 5 they allow it to be so physical. Be consistent you pansies.

tredigs
04-28-2010, 07:35 PM
I dunno man, Dwight hasn't ever been in fould trouble 3 straight games, let alone 4, so it seems weird that they are callling every little thing on him now... They need to let the big guys play... I'm not saying that Dwight doesn't pick up a dumb foul here and there, but I think the refs are just way to whistle happy, not just against the Magic, but everyone... I mean it takes away from the game... Most of the fouls that they are calling on Dwight are real ticky tack fouls that are usually not called during the regular season, so why are they calling them now? Lebron can't take a foul if he's trying and Vince Carter is fouling out of games, it seems weird to me.

Didn't catch the last two fouls of his previous game, but the first four were absolutely legitimate/must calls. One of them actually had the announcers on board with Dwight when he was whistled for a blocking call. They said, "wellll I don't know about that one; he sure seemed to be still to me!" Completely oblivious to the fact that Dwight had both feet inside the restricted area.

The guy just fouls, a lot. He's one of the most marketable players in the league, I don't see how the Stern conspiracy-theorists can think that they wouldn't want him in the games as much as possible and advancing rounds.

That said -- as is always the case-- the refereeing has been completely different from game to game/crew to crew. What's a foul in one game is just a hard play in another, and that is tough for players to adjust to. And beyond that I do think that there's also just certain refs that seem to be biased against calling fouls for certain teams (although this is definitely more of the exception than the rule), Crawford against the Mavericks comes to mind. He honestly seems to hate the Mavs, and they consistently lose when he's reffing their games (won 2 of their last 16 if he's reffing I've heard).

But when it's multiple officiating crews both home and away as in the case for Dwight, I'd tend to believe that he's just being sloppy and committing dumb fouls (which he himself in fact said verbatim before game 5).

kozelkid
04-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Would it be my expectations of them or how good they SHOULD be. Cause I have very low expectations for them at this point.

kArSoN RyDaH
04-28-2010, 09:12 PM
after lakers thunder game 3 n 4 and then the cavs bulls game yesterday where that 3 point play by rose was overuled. definately BAD!!!