PDA

View Full Version : If OKC drafted Tyreke Evans....

BlazingInferno
04-26-2010, 03:49 PM
Westbrook, Durant, Evans.....Who's gona stop that 2-3 years from now?

Draco
04-26-2010, 03:52 PM
Too many scorers.. I find myself in the unlikely position of agreeing with Bill Simmons on incompatibility.

The Evans Universe: Makes the Zombie Sonics better on paper, screws them up in real life. Russell Westbrook would be threatened as the primary playmaker/distributor; Durant would be threatened as the alpha dog. From a chemistry standpoint, I'm dubious. I just don't think you need him. Think of it this way: I'm already making you dinner with Durant as my main course. He's the $200 slab of filet mignon on the bone. We're at a table with 10 other people. We're chowing down. We already have a Caesar salad (Westbrook), cream of mushroom soup (Serge Ibaka), potatoes au gratin (Jeff Green), asparagus (Thabo Sefolosha), sweet potatoes (Eric Maynor) and the filet (Durant). Harden is delicious corn bread done southwestern-style; Evans is a $150 rack of lamb. Do I really need the lamb? If I brought that out, wouldn't you say, "Good God, this is too much food; I'm gonna have a heart attack!" It might be delicious, but I don't need it. I need the corn bread.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/part1/100416&sportCat=nba

*Superman*
04-26-2010, 03:53 PM
I just jizzed myself.

Sadds The Gr8
04-26-2010, 03:54 PM
another one of these threads? wow....

abe_froman
04-26-2010, 04:03 PM
than evans doesnt win roy because he never gets the ball

soonabooma
04-26-2010, 04:13 PM
Evans is a great player, but I don't think he would fit with our team as well as Harden does. He and Westbrook are too much alike, so it wouldn't work as well.

Seriously though......that simmons guy needs to get his head kicked in for referring to our team as the Zombie Sonics. Talk about an immature, pathetic little SMALL-TIME brat. Yes people, he is small time. He's tucked away at a nice little desk where he writes goofy little stories on his laptop.....nothing more. Nobody has ever even heard his voice, that's how small time he is. He probably does his typing in his grandmothers basement.;)

DerekRE_3
04-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Might have too many people that need the ball.

ChiTownPacerFan
04-26-2010, 04:16 PM
... Then you are creating an "if OKC drafted Harden" thread instead of this one. Think about it, Harden would have been the one to put up the huge numbers on an awful Sacto team, and Tyreke would have been buried on the bench in OKC. James Harden is going to be a good pro for a long time, don't sell him short.

To Soonabooma: Simmons has done hundreds of podcasts, so not only have many people heard his voice, apparently a lot of them like what he has to say.

SteveNash
04-26-2010, 04:17 PM
What if they drafted Curry?

tredigs
04-26-2010, 04:21 PM
Evans is a great player, but I don't think he would fit with our team as well as Harden does. He and Westbrook are too much alike, so it wouldn't work as well.

Seriously though......that simmons guy needs to get his head kicked in for referring to our team as the Zombie Sonics. Talk about an immature, pathetic little SMALL-TIME brat. Yes people, he is small time. He's tucked away at a nice little desk where he writes goofy little stories on his laptop.....nothing more. Nobody has ever even heard his voice, that's how small time he is. He probably does his typing in his grandmothers basement.;)

Well, except for those who have heard his podcasts, which is one of the most popular out there. Or those that have seen him in segments on ESPN. He's probably among the most popular sports columnists in America and is the biggest traffic draw to ESPN.com... but you're right, "small time".

king4day
04-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Westbrook fits the team perfectly. They'd be no better with Evans.

tredigs
04-26-2010, 04:22 PM
What if they drafted Curry?

Leaves them with an undersized backcourt, but that's probably a more dangerous team. They are dying for someone who can hit the three ball with efficiency on that team other than Durant.

Becks2307
04-26-2010, 04:28 PM
yeah simmons said it best in that article. i remember reading it three weeks ago and he was right...tyreke would have been overkill but curry would have fit in seamlessly. Durant double teamed..kick it out to curry, or russell drive the lane and kick it out to curry/durant....damn

Iodine
04-26-2010, 04:29 PM
Well, except for those who have heard his podcasts, which is one of the most popular out there. Or those that have seen him in segments on ESPN. He's probably among the most popular sports columnists in America and is the biggest traffic draw to ESPN.com... but you're right, "small time".

Tredigs=bringer of fire

MTone8788
04-26-2010, 04:31 PM
What if what if what if what if what if... bleh, you could have a million of these. Fact is they didn't draft Evans and they are a great team regardless.

Carey
04-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Harden was the right pick and a perfect fit, He has a really good all around game and is just gonna get better. He's a mixture of Evans and Curry. If we had Evans we'd be even worsre of a outside shooting team, if we had Curry we'd be worse defensively, imagine him coming off the bench trying to guard Kobe.

ballpd05
04-26-2010, 04:33 PM

:clap:

Asce
04-26-2010, 04:37 PM
than evans doesnt win roy because he never gets the ball

Other then the consensus being out, technically, he hasn't won yet. ;)

JLynn943
04-26-2010, 04:39 PM
Westbrook and Tyreke wouldn't work well together. Curry would be interesting on that team though.

abe_froman
04-26-2010, 04:45 PM
Other then the consensus being out, technically, he hasn't won yet. ;)

really,why the need for formalities

td0tsfinest
04-26-2010, 04:49 PM
Two many guys that need the ball in their hands to be effective. Will it work, maybe but you really can't complain with what they have right now.

tredigs
04-26-2010, 04:51 PM
really,why the need for formalities

Because Curry won more Rookie of the Month awards than 'Reke playing in the same conference (3 to 2) and finished the season stronger than any other rookie in the league. He actually finished as strong as any player in the league, period. Voters will take notice of that. He has a very legitimate case to win it.

abe_froman
04-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Because Curry won more Rookie of the Month awards than 'Reke playing in the same conference (3 to 2) and finished the season stronger than any other rookie in the league. He actually finished as strong as any player in the league, period. Voters will take notice of that. He has a very legitimate case to win it.

but evans didnt even need to finish strong,he was already assured to have accomplished something historic

i like curry alot and he will get alot of votes but i would be very surprised if they dont give to evans because of the plateau he reached

CityofTreez
04-26-2010, 05:00 PM
Tyreke Evans is ours. No way Jose

can some1 just blow up this NBA forum? please

ItsTheLastAce
04-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Too many scorers.. I find myself in the unlikely position of agreeing with Bill Simmons on incompatibility.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/part1/100416&sportCat=nba

thats an awesome way to put things

soundjunkies2
04-26-2010, 05:09 PM
If they drafted him then he would be coming off the bench. There is no way he would of started over Westbrook, Harden was the right choice.

Sportfan
04-26-2010, 05:11 PM
This. They'd be even worse with Evans imo

tredigs
04-26-2010, 05:18 PM
but evans didnt even need to finish strong,he was already assured to have accomplished something historic

i like curry alot and he will get alot of votes but i would be very surprised if they dont give to evans because of the plateau he reached

I mean I agree, he was consistent all year and hit the arbitrary numbers that are great/nice to look at. But it also has to be said that the only one of the two that actually made history was Stephen Curry breaking the rookie record for 3's made in a season, and did all his scoring with more efficiency than 'Reke did.

It also doesn't hurt his case that he finished the season with a 42pt 9reb 8ast game in their win against the Blazers while Tyreke finished up with 10pts 3rebs 1ast in their loss against LA. I never underestimate a strong last impression like that on voters who were having second thoughts on voting for 'Reke.

'Reke will still probably win it, but I don't think it's open and shut by any means.

--And I agree with Simmons that the fit would be a bad one for OKC. They probably took the right player in Harden, I think that Westbrook is a better player than 'Reke.

JayAllDay
04-26-2010, 05:24 PM
Didn't he need like two season ending injuries to get playing time?

If he was with OKC he would be getting as much time as James Harden. I mean playing time literally fell on Evans' lap and he capitalized.

jimbobjarree
04-26-2010, 05:37 PM
seriously, the Thunder really need to get their own forum

Iodine
04-26-2010, 05:39 PM

I actually lol'd

Kings Faithful
04-26-2010, 05:40 PM
I mean I agree, he was consistent all year and hit the arbitrary numbers that are great/nice to look at. But it also has to be said that the only one of the two that actually made history was Stephen Curry breaking the rookie record for 3's made in a season, and did all his scoring with more efficiency than 'Reke did.

It also doesn't hurt his case that he finished the season with a 42pt 9reb 8ast game in their win against the Blazers while Tyreke finished up with 10pts 3rebs 1ast in their loss against LA. I never underestimate a strong last impression like that on voters who were having second thoughts on voting for 'Reke.

'Reke will still probably win it, but I don't think it's open and shut by any means.

--And I agree with Simmons that the fit would be a bad one for OKC. They probably took the right player in Harden, I think that Westbrook is a better player than 'Reke.

That's a poor argument. Evans was ejected right when he was starting to get it going, on a totally ridiculous call too, though Curry did have an amazing night. This award should be "open and shut". Admittedly, Curry put up better numbers in the last few months of the season... the problem is that he wasn't being double and even triple teamed in the fashion that Evans was. If Evans was played straight up like other teams play Curry he could've averaged 30 ppg. Thats why players like Durant, Kobe, and Lebron are actually much better than even their stellar numbers imply... they are the sole focus of the opposing teams defense. That's was Evans is, and Curry is not. The other factor is Defense... Curry can't even compare to a beast like Evans on D. In fact, most PG's and SG's can't. Tyreke Evans should be ROY without doubt.

dvda 89
04-26-2010, 05:40 PM
Westbrook fits the team perfectly. They'd be no better with Evans.

They drafted Harden over Evans not Westbrook.

Anyway Evans and Durant both need the ball to be effective, it would never work.

rufo4100
04-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Westbrook and Evans are both PG's. Better served with a stud SG than another PG

Kings Faithful
04-26-2010, 05:43 PM
That's a poor argument. Evans was ejected right when he was starting to get it going, on a totally ridiculous call too, though Curry did have an amazing night. This award should be "open and shut". Admittedly, Curry put up better numbers in the last few months of the season... the problem is that he wasn't being double and even triple teamed in the fashion that Evans was. If Evans was played straight up like other teams play Curry he could've averaged 30 ppg. Thats why players like Durant, Kobe, and Lebron are actually much better than even their stellar numbers imply... they are the sole focus of the opposing teams defense. That's was Evans is, and Curry is not. The other factor is Defense... Curry can't even compare to a beast like Evans on D. In fact, most PG's and SG's can't.

Actually Nevermind... the ROY of the year should be Earl Clark because his team made the playoffs...

abe_froman
04-26-2010, 05:44 PM

lol,seriously

thescore53
04-26-2010, 05:45 PM
what if the grizz drafted him theyd be scary

thescore53
04-26-2010, 05:46 PM
Actually Nevermind... the ROY of the year should be Earl Clark because his team made the playoffs...

how about wes mathews, ty Lawson,

MacFitz92
04-26-2010, 05:46 PM
These threads are unneccesary. There are too many "ifs" to try and count.

DerekRE_3
04-26-2010, 05:52 PM
Curry instead of Harden would be interesting. They'd have two awesome shooters with Durant and Curry. The only concern would be defense. A backcourt with Westbrook and Curry might be too small and Westbrook would probably be the one that would guard the 2 spot and it's tough to predict how he would fare there game to game.

That being said I think Harden is a great fit for the Thunder and once he gets/earns more playing time, that team is going to be scarier than they already are.

jimbobjarree
04-26-2010, 05:55 PM
Curry instead of Harden would be interesting. They'd have two awesome shooters with Durant and Curry. The only concern would be defense. A backcourt with Westbrook and Curry might be too small and Westbrook would probably be the one that would guard the 2 spot and it's tough to predict how he would fare there game to game.

That being said I think Harden is a great fit for the Thunder and once he gets/earns more playing time, that team is going to be scarier than they already are.

derek, get your penis out of tyreke and move all these okc threads to their forum

fadedmario
04-26-2010, 05:57 PM
another one of these threads? wow....

I know, right? What if Memphis drafted Evans instead of Thabeet? These are getting old.

CowboysKB24
04-26-2010, 06:03 PM
But they didn't, so who really cares?

smith&wesson
04-26-2010, 06:17 PM
IF portland drafted durant instead of oden who could stop that now ??

theres alot of "if's"

tredigs
04-26-2010, 06:21 PM
That's a poor argument. Evans was ejected right when he was starting to get it going, on a totally ridiculous call too, though Curry did have an amazing night. This award should be "open and shut". Admittedly, Curry put up better numbers in the last few months of the season... the problem is that he wasn't being double and even triple teamed in the fashion that Evans was. If Evans was played straight up like other teams play Curry he could've averaged 30 ppg. Thats why players like Durant, Kobe, and Lebron are actually much better than even their stellar numbers imply... they are the sole focus of the opposing teams defense. That's was Evans is, and Curry is not. The other factor is Defense... Curry can't even compare to a beast like Evans on D. In fact, most PG's and SG's can't. Tyreke Evans should be ROY without doubt.

Where you say, "the other teams focused their entire defense and triple teams on Tyreke (false, btw) while letting Curry run free (also false)". I could just say, "the only reason Tyreke had inflated numbers is because your other offensive threats were non-existent while the Warriors had a 26ppg scorer in Monta who took the most fga per game in the league. If he had the USG% that Tyreke was allowed he would have put up 22/7/5." Could go back and forth with if's all day.

Bottom line is that they were in the situations that they were in, and they will be judged on how they performed in those situations (and also by the hype they got, being that these people are susceptible to it just like anyone else). Also, I'm not convinced that Tyreke is some godsend on D like you're saying. He had a poor D rating of 110 and got less steals than Curry while only getting .4 blocks a game. He was an average defender at best. He also had a negative NET +/- on the year. The same can't be said for Curry, who actually helped the Warriors in a +/- while he was in the game.

Anyway, enough arguing about that from my end. I'm a Warriors fan and couldn't be happier with having Curry over Evans, you're a Kings fan and feel the same about Evans. This thread isn't even directly about that (it's a dumb thread, anyway. There's a million of these scenarios in the league), so there's no point in arguing it.

edit: When is the ROY announced, anyway?

sventhedog
04-26-2010, 06:54 PM
another 'what if' topic. i get the idea of how great you think evans would fit with the thunder. but if you ask me, if ever they drafted evans, they wouldn't be in the same position right now. i'm not saying they'll be in a better or worse position but it'll just be different. one different move can result to another then another change. so had the thunder did something else, what comes next will probably the same as what has happened to them now. nobody knows what trades might have happened or possesions that might have been taken away from durant and other players because evans also needs the ball. i hope you guys get my point. ;)

DerekRE_3
04-26-2010, 06:55 PM
derek, get your penis out of tyreke and move all these okc threads to their forum

But...but...I didn't even mention him. :sad2:

BlazingInferno
04-26-2010, 08:41 PM
If they drafted him then he would be coming off the bench. There is no way he would of started over Westbrook, Harden was the right choice.

Tyreke finished the season at SG with Beno Udrih at PG

Raidaz4Life
04-26-2010, 08:42 PM
I would probably be an OKC fan right now.

dodie53
04-26-2010, 08:47 PM
i really don't like 'what if' threads.
:lol:

THE MTL
04-26-2010, 09:46 PM
It wouldnt work out. I remember reading this article behind Tyreke Evans advanced stats like usage rating and A/TO and him making his teammates better and it was very negative. Tyreke and Durant wouldnt mesh.

Covert
04-26-2010, 11:06 PM
I don't think Evans would have fit well with the Thunder anyways. Harden is a god role player for them and I don't think anybody should be a volume shooter on that team except for Durant. The great chemistry that OKC has probably won't be there if there are two players fighting for shots.

bdawks20
04-27-2010, 01:08 AM
Nobody stopping that lol

tdunk21
04-27-2010, 01:12 AM
would be a scorin fest and they would have won the series by now....

soonabooma
04-27-2010, 01:18 AM
simmons is a weasel!

AI4MVP
04-27-2010, 01:21 AM
Evans would not have fit in OKC.

Ragun
04-27-2010, 01:21 AM
harden fits this team better than evans.

Raph12
04-27-2010, 01:22 AM
Both Westbrook and Evans are poor off-ball, so I don't think it would be a good idea... Now if you had said Curry (I know it wasn't an option but w/e).

vash9
04-27-2010, 01:24 AM
Dynasty. Hahahahahaha.

ldc62
04-27-2010, 01:37 AM
Stop with the "If OKC drafted Tyreke" and the "If Portland drafted Durant" threads... if anything they shoulda gotten Curry because a small backcourt works in the West.

*Silver&Black*
04-27-2010, 01:48 AM
Westbrook, Durant, Evans.....Who's gona stop that 2-3 years from now?

Who is going to pay for that? Wouldn't be able to keep them all. Almost 3 Max players in the future.

sventhedog
04-27-2010, 03:03 AM
it didn't happen. get over it.