PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs are in Dirk's head

oldenpolynice
04-26-2010, 01:06 AM
Ever since he had a game for the ages in Game 1, the Spurs have been making it a point to knock him down, hit his arm as he shoots and just generally provoke him at every opportunity. He's so frustrated, I half expect him to file a restraining order against the Spurs like the one Dwight Howard filed against Royce Reed. And it's showing on the court.

Dirk had 17 points in Game 4, but he shot just 4-10 from the field and all but disappeared in the fourth quarter, scoring just five points and missing a 14-foot jumper that would have brought the Mavs within two with 30 seconds left.

That's the kind of shot Dirk usually makes in his sleep. But the Spurs have been hitting him so often and have played such air tight defense on him that he's a shell of his former self. He simply can't be counted on anymore.

http://blogs.uscannenberg.org/neontommy_sports/2010/04/nba-playoff-watch-the-spurs-ar.html

stawka
04-26-2010, 01:09 AM
LOL@ can't be counted on anymore. Spurs writer much?!

His team has been struggling as of late, and so has Dirk - but to say you can't count on Dirk's shot is ridiculous - And I don't even like the guy

Raph12
04-26-2010, 01:16 AM
The Spurs defense is getting to him, but not as badly as their making it out to be.

Spurred1
04-26-2010, 01:20 AM
He's been erratic this postseason, but this seems a touch melodramatic,imo.

_KB24_
04-26-2010, 01:30 AM
A bit of exaggeration.

oldenpolynice
04-26-2010, 02:45 AM
I don't think it's that much of an exaggeration. Dirk's a beast, but the last two games he's been held very much in check. The look on his face was pure frustration tonight.

jackdawson
04-26-2010, 03:02 AM
Dirk is still dangerous. Losing couple of games doesn't make you a bad player all of a sudden. He is the man for the mavs but spurs are just playing hard D on him atm.

oldenpolynice
04-26-2010, 04:50 AM
Dirk is still dangerous. Losing couple of games doesn't make you a bad player all of a sudden. He is the man for the mavs but spurs are just playing hard D on him atm.

I don't mean to say that he's not a good player anymore. What I mean is that this particular Spurs team is his kryptonite. He's less powerful against them than he is against other teams.

dodie53
04-26-2010, 05:03 AM
imo,
dirk is a very good number 2 option.
he's not a number 1 option.

last stand
04-26-2010, 05:22 AM
saw this series playing out like this a mile away

ldc62
04-26-2010, 05:28 AM
imo,
dirk is a very good number 2 option.
he's not a number 1 option.

Hes a number 1... the phrase "Hes a good number 2 option, but not a number 1 option" is being used soo damn much now.

BaustinSali08
04-26-2010, 05:37 AM
This article probably goes on to suggest he should just retire in shame.

JayW_1023
04-26-2010, 05:45 AM
The Mavs are a jump shooting team, and right now that's hurting them. Usually Josh Howard would chase the offensive glass when Dirk shot alot...but Butler just isn't as effective. And Richard Jefferson is a better defensive rebounder than Bruce Bowen was.

The Mavs really miss Devin Harris and Josh Howard now...Devin was important to get the Mavs easy transition looks, and Howards quickness, athleticism and active hands on the glass was a killer for the Spurs.

Right now, essentially the Mavs are a half court jump shooting team, and no matter how many (former) All-stars you have...without an inside presence to put pressure on the Spurs interior D, you won't survive long in the postseason...where the game slows down.

The_Pharouh
04-26-2010, 08:28 AM
The Mavs are a jump shooting team, and right now that's hurting them. Usually Josh Howard would chase the offensive glass when Dirk shot alot...but Butler just isn't as effective. And Richard Jefferson is a better defensive rebounder than Bruce Bowen was.

The Mavs really miss Devin Harris and Josh Howard now...Devin was important to get the Mavs easy transition looks, and Howards quickness, athleticism and active hands on the glass was a killer for the Spurs.

Right now, essentially the Mavs are a half court jump shooting team, and no matter how many (former) All-stars you have...without an inside presence to put pressure on the Spurs interior D, you won't survive long in the postseason...where the game slows down.

this

Iodine
04-26-2010, 08:40 AM

God spurs fans are awesome

GSW Hoops
04-26-2010, 09:44 AM
I think the Mavs got a really bad matchup at a really bad time. San Antonio FINALLY has all their pieces healthy and they're gelling at the perfect time.

Ginobili is playing out of his mind, Parker is back, Hill is playing great, Jefferson seems to be figuring it out. Tim Duncan went 1-9 with 4 points last night and the Spurs still won... That would have never happened during the past few years.

Also, I think people underestimate Gregg Popovich as a coach. He's won 4 titles, so he must know what he's doing :) I've never been a big Dirk fan, so I'm not surprised that the Spurs are able to get "in his head" in this series with some tough D.

This series is getting physical, and I'm not sure Dallas has the muscle--physical or mental--to beat San Antonio in a physical series. Spurs are going to be a tough out for any team in the NBA.

oldenpolynice
04-26-2010, 02:30 PM
I think the Mavs got a really bad matchup at a really bad time. San Antonio FINALLY has all their pieces healthy and they're gelling at the perfect time.

Ginobili is playing out of his mind, Parker is back, Hill is playing great, Jefferson seems to be figuring it out. Tim Duncan went 1-9 with 4 points last night and the Spurs still won... That would have never happened during the past few years.

Also, I think people underestimate Gregg Popovich as a coach. He's won 4 titles, so he must know what he's doing :) I've never been a big Dirk fan, so I'm not surprised that the Spurs are able to get "in his head" in this series with some tough D.

This series is getting physical, and I'm not sure Dallas has the muscle--physical or mental--to beat San Antonio in a physical series. Spurs are going to be a tough out for any team in the NBA.

I don't think the Mavs have what it takes to match SA's physicality (like you said). But it's also an issue of matchup advantages.

Parker is exactly the kind of point guard Kidd can't defend (and George Hill can match Kidd in terms of size of strength). Manu has the advantage over Butler at the two guard spot. Jefferson and Marion basically cancel each other out. And Duncan and McDyess have done an excellent job defensively on Dirk. That leaves Damp open on occasion, but it doesn't matter because he's awful on that end.

As deep and as talented as Dallas is, SA has answers for them at every position. And Blair is outworking Haywood off the bench. So it's a perfect situation, matchup-wise, for SA.

They won't have the same kind of advantage over, say, the Lakers that they do over the Mavs (Bynum trumps anyone they have inside and they don't have anyone to guard Kobe) so I don't see SA advancing as far as has been suggested.

SteveNash
04-26-2010, 04:09 PM
They've really gotten to Dirk, what with him averaging 28/9/3 on 54%/67%/91%.

oldenpolynice
04-26-2010, 04:41 PM
They've really gotten to Dirk, what with him averaging 28/9/3 on 54%/67%/91%.

Take out Game 1 and it's 46.5% FG, but you're right his stats have been good. Did you watch Game 4 though? He was a shell of himself in the fourth quarter.

J4KOP99
04-26-2010, 05:07 PM
I think this article takes it a little too far.

It is quite simple. The Spurs are a great team. They are not a 7 seed and could have been a 2 or 3 if they were healthy for the entire season. The mavs got unlucky with their draw and now have to just go out and play. Because the Spurs are healthy, I can't really call this an upset if they beat the Mavs.

Dirk is definitely a number 1 but if they do go down, I think Cuban has to think long and hard about trading him.

SteveNash
04-26-2010, 05:42 PM
Take out Game 1 and it's 46.5% FG, but you're right his stats have been good. Did you watch Game 4 though? He was a shell of himself in the fourth quarter.

If we're talking about bad performances in Game 4, then Dirk shouldn't be the only one being criticize for their performance.

Joshtd1
04-26-2010, 06:16 PM
Dirk isnt the reason the Mavs are down 3-1. However after last nights hard foul by RJ he did stop driving.

GSW Hoops
04-26-2010, 06:30 PM
The Spurs are probably the toughest-minded team in the NBA. They've won 4 titles and have played, I dunno, 500 playoff games over the past decade.

Dallas doesn't have much of that grit outside of J. Kidd, and he's lost too many steps to carry the Mavs. Same reason they lost 4 straight to the Heat in 2006 Finals...weak-minded and too many jump shooters.

abe_froman
04-26-2010, 06:34 PM
its not dirk,its the mavs.dirk always shows up,its just that everyone else in dallas folds

now is that they hate dirk that much? i dunno...just something happens when you put that uniform on that makes players disappear come playoff time

RaiderLakersA's
04-26-2010, 06:58 PM
Dirk is definitely a number 1 but if they do go down, I think Cuban has to think long and hard about trading him.

Yeah, but he'd want to replace a superstar with a superstar...and I don't see any superstars signing with the Mavs, if Dirk isn't there.

Imagine Wade and Dirk.

Or LeBron and Dirk.

Or even Dirk and Bosh/Amare.

smith&wesson
04-26-2010, 07:10 PM
dallas is just not a playoff team. they do amazing through out the season every year but always get booted in the first or second round of the playoffs. its always been that way minus the one year they got to the finals and got owned by wade.

oldenpolynice
04-26-2010, 07:54 PM
dallas is just not a playoff team. they do amazing through out the season every year but always get booted in the first or second round of the playoffs. its always been that way minus the one year they got to the finals and got owned by wade.

They'd be fine against anybody other than the Spurs (and maybe the Lakers). The Spurs are just absolutely the worst matchup for them.

mjt20mik
04-26-2010, 09:03 PM
he's been erratic this postseason, but this seems a touch melodramatic,imo.

+1

Jdawg
04-26-2010, 09:31 PM
The Spurs aren't in Dirk's head.

DeJuan "Bear" is in Dirk's head. That's sad to let a rookie get to you enough that you resort to throwing an elbow.

At least he was smart enough to quickly turn his back in fear after throwing his cheap shot.

oldenpolynice
04-27-2010, 01:14 AM
The Spurs aren't in Dirk's head.

DeJuan "Bear" is in Dirk's head. That's sad to let a rookie get to you enough that you resort to throwing an elbow.

At least he was smart enough to quickly turn his back in fear after throwing his cheap shot.

Blair was so in the Mavericks' heads that Carlisle sent Najera on a goon mission. Talk about going down to the lowest common denominator...

JPHX
04-27-2010, 02:38 AM
at first glance, i thought the title of this thread said "The Spurs are Dick Heads".

AI4MVP
04-27-2010, 02:42 AM
at first glance, i thought the title of this thread said "The Spurs are Dick Heads".

dude i came in there to right this exact same thing hahahahahah