PDA

View Full Version : OKC formula = blueprint for success

Becks2307
04-25-2010, 10:55 PM
I just posted this is a thread and i just wanted to know what PSD thought about it. Firstly do you think it is a good plan?
can the franchise endure 2 BAD losing seasons financially
and would you give up two seasons for what OKC has now ?

OKC- formula FTW....

year 1 :tank, trade your best asset for a lottery pick and later pick = 2 lottery picks,
year 2: play all the lottery picks while you lose alot of games, they get experience
year 3 : with another lottery pick added to your 2 now experienced lottery picks = 8th seed
year 4: DYNASTY LOL

look at their lineup (and i know harden doesnt start, just stating my point)

PG Westbrook (4th overall) 2008
SG Harden (3rd overall) 2009
SF Durant (2nd Overall) 2007
PF Green ( 5th overall) 2007

here's a random lineup if other teams did this, just for fun

Tyreke/ mayo/ Beasley/ Love

seriously 3 years of crap for a dynasty ? sign me up

heathonater
04-25-2010, 10:58 PM
do you realize how difficult it is to get that type of talent from drafting in consecutive years. many teams before have tried to build through the draft, but for one reason or another the player that was supposed to be their savior flamed out. plus, you got to have luck with the nba lottery. not getting the number one pick during a year where ther is only one great player can be devastating. all im saying is that it is not easy to build a team through the draft alone.

Becks2307
04-25-2010, 11:00 PM
do you realize how difficult it is to get that type of talent from drafting in consecutive years. many teams before have tried to build through the draft, but for one reason or another the player that was supposed to be their savior flamed out. plus, you got to have luck with the nba lottery. not getting the number one pick during a year where ther is only one great player can be devastating. all im saying is that it is not easy to build a team through the draft alone. just have to be a bad team when there are alot of good college prospects.

thats the whole point..unless you are the clippers (lol sorry clips fans) its pretty unlikely that FOUR lottery picks all flame out...and you dont need the number one pick, you just need a top5 pick. Look at okc...green isnt exactly amazing but he is doing well enough...same with harden

Young and Stupid
04-25-2010, 11:00 PM
Cough Brooklyn errrr New Jersey Nets cough

Draco
04-25-2010, 11:01 PM
Why didn't anyone else think of this!

astrosmaniac
04-25-2010, 11:05 PM
thats the whole point..unless you are the clippers (lol sorry clips fans) its pretty unlikely that FOUR lottery picks all flame out...and you dont need the number one pick, you just need a top5 pick. Look at okc...green isnt exactly amazing but he is doing well enough...same with harden

and OKC is only the 8th seed, despite getting an absolute stud, another great up and coming player, and 2 other good players with those lotto picks. if even one of those had flamed out, they would still be a lotto team (and if that 1 flame out was say oden instead of durant, then they are still 2-3 years away from the playoffs)

D Roses Bulls
04-25-2010, 11:06 PM
I just posted this is a thread and i just wanted to know what PSD thought about it. Firstly do you think it is a good plan?
can the franchise endure 2 BAD losing seasons financially
and would you give up two seasons for what OKC has now ?

OKC- formula FTW....

year 1 :tank, trade your best asset for a lottery pick and later pick = 2 lottery picks,
year 2: play all the lottery picks while you lose alot of games, they get experience
year 3 : with another lottery pick added to your 2 now experienced lottery picks = 8th seed
year 4: DYNASTY LOL

look at their lineup (and i know harden doesnt start, just stating my point)

PG Westbrook (4th overall) 2008
SG Harden (3rd overall) 2009
SF Durant (2nd Overall) 2007
PF Green ( 5th overall) 2007

here's a random lineup if other teams did this, just for fun

Tyreke/ mayo/ Beasley/ Love

seriously 3 years of crap for a dynasty ? sign me up

reallY? cause its worked out so well for the clippers

Becks2307
04-25-2010, 11:10 PM

lol I did say except the clippers....

heathonater
04-25-2010, 11:12 PM

thats why you need smart people making personell decisions.

D Roses Bulls
04-25-2010, 11:13 PM
lol I did say except the clippers....

oh sorry, i skimmed through it, im tryna hurry up and read the new threads cause theirs an epic thread going on right now and the fight is hilarious.

Becks2307
04-25-2010, 11:14 PM
and OKC is only the 8th seed, despite getting an absolute stud, another great up and coming player, and 2 other good players with those lotto picks. if even one of those had flamed out, they would still be a lotto team (and if that 1 flame out was say oden instead of durant, then they are still 2-3 years away from the playoffs)

they may be the 8th seed but they are a 50win team who has the defending champs at 2-2 and they have the brightest future in the NBA. Im not saying they didnt get lucky but its not that bad a strategy.

The reason i thought about this is because the draft is set up to help crappy teams yet the knicks have been 'rebuilding on the fly' for the past decade so instead of becoming really bad one year and getting a lottery pick (i.e. heat -wade, cavs -lebron, okc-durant, denver-melo) we were never good enough to make the playoffs or bad enough to get an instant impact player.

FOBolous
04-25-2010, 11:18 PM
yea i was hoping Houston would tank this year so we can draft a good player to go along with Yao Ming and the rest of our role player next year. alas...our team had too much heart and our role player were too good for that to happen :(

iggypop123
04-25-2010, 11:25 PM
you do know when its time to pay all of those players that strategy dies. besides they failed with harden. just about the only pick they didnt hit on.

RocketsRule
04-25-2010, 11:27 PM
The Blazers were the first to do this. I mean they acquired nearly their whole team through the draft, with Miller and Camby being the exceptions.

ryder78c
04-25-2010, 11:30 PM
yea i was hoping Houston would tank this year so we can draft a good player to go along with Yao Ming and the rest of our role player next year. alas...our team had too much heart and our role player were too good for that to happen :(

Houstan Is gonna be a contender when yao returns just hope u get a top 10pick and the team will be that much deeper if the season goes the same next year the thunder wont even be in it the rockets will have that spot or even higher

Yao
Scola
Ariza
Martin
Brooks

Battier
lowry

ChiSox219
04-25-2010, 11:35 PM
Houstan Is gonna be a contender when yao returns just hope u get a top 10pick and the team will be that much deeper if the season goes the same next year the thunder wont even be in it the rockets will have that spot or even higher

Yao
Scola
Ariza
Martin
Brooks

Battier
lowry

IF (big if) the Rockets are healthy next year they will win the west.

soonabooma
04-26-2010, 01:05 AM

Yao
Scola
Ariza
Martin
Brooks

Battier
lowry

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sadds The Gr8
04-26-2010, 01:10 AM
oh sorry, i skimmed through it, im tryna hurry up and read the new threads cause theirs an epic thread going on right now and the fight is hilarious.

lol where?

_KB24_
04-26-2010, 01:27 AM
I doubt that this OKC team stays in tact. I say only two of their rising stars stay.