PDA

View Full Version : Shouldn't there be a Charge Stat in the NBA?

Kakaroach
04-25-2010, 02:59 PM
So my friends and I were talking about how big of an impact charges have on a game. Charges are just as important as blocks or steals on defense and help just as much. I've heard Mike Breen say it some of the time, like a game he was broadcasting for the Rockets earlier this year saying Jared Jeffries lead the league in charges taken and the Rockets were leading among teams.

So shouldn't there be a charge statistic in the NBA just like there is for blocks or steals?

Hey Man
04-25-2010, 03:01 PM
there is but it is not an official stat and you will not see it on NBA.com.

Its one of those stats you gotta go to 82games.com to find

kozelkid
04-25-2010, 03:01 PM
I think 82games has it, or at least they did for some old seasons.
I do think it's ridiculous, however, that NBA keeps track of steals and blocks but not charges which imo is the best indicator of the 3 in terms of defense.

Iggz53
04-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Not necessarily charges but I do think there should be a "turnovers forced" stat for sure.

Raph12
04-25-2010, 03:05 PM
IMO there is a difference between charges and flopping, the latter only requires acting skill, something guys like Varejao and, everyone who guards Dwight, like to use often...

But yes it has a similar effect as any other turnover would.

Iodine
04-25-2010, 03:07 PM
82Games pretty much has that, but yeah if it was more well known it could help people

Miltown34
04-25-2010, 03:11 PM
it could create more employment by paying a guy maybe 35,000 to take stats of stupid things like charges and things..Idk just trying 2 create jobs

td0tsfinest
04-25-2010, 03:20 PM
They should record it. I know all those stats sites do tally it up but the NBA doesn't official keep record of how many Charges. It would be good stat for DPOY candidates.

Kakaroach
04-25-2010, 04:46 PM
82Games pretty much has that, but yeah if it was more well known it could help people Yeah which is exactly my point. If the NBA and ESPN kept track of it, it would help people. If you do it for blocks and steals, why not charges too?

NetsPaint
04-25-2010, 04:51 PM
Is deflections stats kept in track?

ElMarroAfamado
04-25-2010, 05:01 PM
i think charging and blocking fouls are the gayest thing in the nba...
its so boring to be able to bail out guys and instead of having them jumping and challenging a shot to block it they jump in front and just fall over...

i mean really...am i the only one that hates this?

prash
04-25-2010, 07:14 PM
If there was Wilt Chamberlain would own the record for most in a game.

Dré
04-25-2010, 07:39 PM
Not necessarily charges but I do think there should be a "turnovers forced" stat for sure.

Well, steals are a form of forcing turnovers. What you're suggesting would pretty much negate this statistic. Taking this into consideration, I personally believe it would be more practical, to record 'charges taken,' as opposed to having 'forced turnovers' as datum. My own two cents.

Giaps
04-25-2010, 08:46 PM
100% there should be a stat on it... they are very important and an indication of a guy's defensive abilities.

My coaches when I was younger, used to pay the players $1 for every charge they drew. I was the master at it, of course (still am).

Toenail Clipper
04-25-2010, 08:49 PM
Well because if they did have a charge stat, all the players from the opposing team will constantly watch the player camping outside the restricted area and avoid him

koreancabbage
04-25-2010, 09:01 PM
blocks and charges --. they should record it

BUT

floppers are usually known as the guys who gets the charge calls on the offensive player. That stat will inflate them to be more known as the guy who takes charges more than the fact he is a flopper. so far in the NBA, you can easily sell a flop in the heat of the moment and analysts will break down the actual play after the fact.

Iggz53
04-26-2010, 12:15 AM
Well, steals are a form of forcing turnovers. What you're suggesting would pretty much negate this statistic. Taking this into consideration, I personally believe it would be more practical, to record 'charges taken,' as opposed to having 'forced turnovers' as datum. My own two cents.

There's more ways to force TO's than steal and take a charge. It would be tough to record and have to be arbitrary like "unforced errors" in tennis but aren't assists the same way. For instance if you deflect it to someone else on your team or force someone into a 24 second violation or a travel. I know, it's objective but a lot of these things unfortunately get overlooked.

Iggz53
04-26-2010, 12:16 AM
blocks and charges --. they should record it

BUT

floppers are usually known as the guys who gets the charge calls on the offensive player. That stat will inflate them to be more known as the guy who takes charges more than the fact he is a flopper. so far in the NBA, you can easily sell a flop in the heat of the moment and analysts will break down the actual play after the fact.

What's the difference though? As sad as it is, the end result is the same.

iggypop123
04-26-2010, 12:25 AM
why legitimize flops?

Iggz53
04-26-2010, 12:51 AM
why legitimize flops?

They are already legitimate in games anyway and they will be until Stern shows that he gives a ****.

madiaz3
04-26-2010, 12:55 AM
Jared Jeffries unofficial leader!

Chronz
04-26-2010, 01:49 AM
either josh smith or bogut led the league in total defensive stops based on blks.stls.charges