PDA

View Full Version : Will the Lakers beat the Thunder?

Boston Faithful
04-25-2010, 02:36 AM
The Lakers are having a very tough time with them. Feasibly, the series really should be 3-1 in the Thunder's advantage right now - because they really outplayed them in Game 2.

Kobe looks like he's aging rapidly and he looks anything but what Michael Jordan was from 31-36 years old. His shots aren't as crisp, his hops just aren't there and he seems to have lost focus.

Even if the Lakers do beat the Thunder, do you see them advancing to the Finals? The other West teams are better than the Thunder and they'll have to match up against Carmelo or Deron/Boozer and then a really tough Conference Finals matchup.

Even if they got past all that, I don't see any way they'll beat the top teams from the East.

kvrnm
04-25-2010, 02:41 AM
idk if the other teams will be as tough as the thunder are for LA.... thats why they need to go down now haha

ARMIN12NBA
04-25-2010, 02:53 AM
I can argue the Lakers outplayed the Thunder in Game 3 and deserved that game...so it should be 3-1 in the Lakers favor or 2-2 at worse.

BTW--Sorry for not answering the question, but I just hate all the ******** that people spew every year about "Team A" should have a "x-y" lead because they played better (which is so much lamer than a suspension or other excuses). Look, in sports, games can be 50/50 and sometimes teams are able to squeak a game out. Deal with it.

abe_froman
04-25-2010, 03:02 AM
probably

i'm rooting for okc,but realistically lakers are going to win this

tjlipford
04-25-2010, 03:06 AM
The Lakers are having a very tough time with them. Feasibly, the series really should be 3-1 in the Thunder's advantage right now - because they really outplayed them in Game 2.

Kobe looks like he's aging rapidly and he looks anything but what Michael Jordan was from 31-36 years old. His shots aren't as crisp, his hops just aren't there and he seems to have lost focus.

Even if the Lakers do beat the Thunder, do you see them advancing to the Finals? The other West teams are better than the Thunder and they'll have to match up against Carmelo or Deron/Boozer and then a really tough Conference Finals matchup.

Even if they got past all that, I don't see any way they'll beat the top teams from the East.

Kobe did not step foot in college, MJ did. Kobe has a lot of miles on his legs, he came straight from High School. Age is just a number when making this statement.

I think that LA will find a way to win but its not going to be easy in no series because Kobe is hurt and like I have been saying they are missing Ariza. The Thunder fooled me because I thought they would get swept but they are a tough young and athletic team with no quit in them

alencp3
04-25-2010, 03:10 AM
No i said it before i say it now

heathonater
04-25-2010, 03:24 AM
the thunder can win this series, but the major hurdle for them is winning at staples. they couldnt get it done there games 1-2, and they have to win at least one game in la to take the series. game 5 will be a big game, because if okc can win that game, i like their chances of winning game 6.

Chill_Will_24
04-25-2010, 03:30 AM
Ive said this befofe the playoffs started. The Thunder are a great team. ANY and i do mean ANY team in the west would be struggling with this team. The Thunder are ridiculously good. This is the toughest test the Lakers will endure in their quest for a WCF appearance. After this the road will become SLIGHTLY easier.

Avenged
04-25-2010, 03:52 AM
I think you meant "Will the Thunder beat the Lakers?"

Because the Lakers aren't the ones who have to prove anything. They're the superior team, just aren't showing it.

Last year, the Rockets gave the Lakers trouble and went on to win a ring.

A year before that, The Celtics were taken to 7 games in the first 2 rounds and won a ring.

This is why you play the game.

JJ_JKidd
04-25-2010, 06:34 AM
F'in Laker doubters!!! These OKC kids will be sent back to oblivion trust me! Lakers all the way!

ragee
04-25-2010, 07:41 AM
I hate the Lakers ad the Thunder have the momentum right now but I am not going to be a homer... They are the defending champs and it would be foolish to just count them out after losing two games in Oklahoma...

CAVS21
04-25-2010, 07:48 AM

Because the Lakers aren't the ones who have to prove anything. They're the superior team, just aren't showing it.

A year before that, The Celtics were taken to 7 games in the first 2 rounds and won a ring.

So because they have nothing to prove they should have the Thunder bow down before them and just let them win the series? Some Lakers fans are so arrogant.......obviously you haven't watched the last 3 games because in those games they haven't been the superior team, OKC has.....I hope you guys get upset so you shut your collective mouths for a while about how its apparently owed to you to win titles. GOOD DAY SIR

Iron24th
04-25-2010, 07:48 AM

This.

The thunder will not win at staples,haters know it but don't want to face it,the Lakers will win in 6 or 7 more likely the way they play @OKC.

Iron24th
04-25-2010, 07:50 AM
So because they have nothing to prove they should have the Thunder bow down before them and just let them win the series? Some Lakers fans are so arrogant.......obviously you haven't watched the last 3 games because in those games they haven't been the superior team, OKC has.....I hope you guys get upset so you shut your collective mouths for a while about how its apparently owed to you to win titles. GOOD DAY SIR

You should be worried about your cavs first,cause chitown has a real shot to even the series tonight.

B.JenningsMVP
04-25-2010, 07:57 AM
Yes

Evolution23
04-25-2010, 08:11 AM
Lakers fans should be concerned because the young thunder are killing them. LA better step up for game 5 or else the Thunder will pull a bigggg upset!

RipVW
04-25-2010, 08:22 AM
Fisher has been a real weakness for a couple of years now. Last year, it was Aaron Brooks who did major damage against the Lakers in the playoffs by exploiting Fisher. And now Fisher is a year older and so what that means is that if LA struggles packing guys down in the lane, OKC has an athletic advantage pushing the ball the other way.

Thats the flip side of emphasizing low post play with bigs. If you dont get it going, youre bigs have to run the full court, so you better have an athlete on the perimter to get back on defense if the opponent pushes it down court. Fisher isnt that and Kobe needs to save his energy for offense. If the Lakers get scoring by funneling their offense through the low post, Seattles transition is moot,...but if they dont, LA has a massive problem.

GrumpyOldMan
04-25-2010, 08:30 AM
The thing that stuck out to me was the difference in freethrow attempts. I haven't heard anything from Phil Jackson yet, but I can't imagine he will be happy with the Thunder getting 20 more trips to the line than the Lakers. I just don't see that happening in Staples. The Thunder are playing great, but I'll still take the Lakers.

kobebabe
04-25-2010, 09:07 AM

You seem to be answering yourself and i am wondering what do you want us to say when you already have pre-conceived answers! Make your posts more interactive friendly if you want an open discussion

m26555
04-25-2010, 09:44 AM
Yes. As much as I'd love to see the Thunder pull off this upset, I just don't see it happening. I said Lakers in six from the beginning and I'm sticking by it.

Avenged
04-25-2010, 09:52 AM

If you can show me where I said the Thunder should bow down to the Lakers and let them win the series, I'd really appreciate it. I know you know a few things of bowing down to other people since you call a man "the king", so I'm not surprised to say the least. I don't think you know how to read, I said, the Lakers are the superior team but they're just not showing it. Why the hell would you ask "will the Thunder beat the Lakers? As if the Lakers are the underdog. Yeah it's like me asking "Will the Cavs beat the Bulls?" I had my doubts about the circus teaching how to read and I was right.

Draco
04-25-2010, 09:56 AM
Fisher has been a real weakness for a couple of years now. Last year, it was Aaron Brooks who did major damage against the Lakers in the playoffs by exploiting Fisher. And now Fisher is a year older and so what that means is that if LA struggles packing guys down in the lane, OKC has an athletic advantage pushing the ball the other way.

Thats the flip side of emphasizing low post play with bigs. If you dont get it going, youre bigs have to run the full court, so you better have an athlete on the perimter to get back on defense if the opponent pushes it down court. Fisher isnt that and Kobe needs to save his energy for offense. If the Lakers get scoring by funneling their offense through the low post, Seattles transition is moot,...but if they dont, LA has a massive problem.

Agreed.. except for the Seattle part.

MacFitz92
04-25-2010, 10:20 AM
Like I said before, anyone could win it in the West. So many good teams it's ridiculous.

JordansBulls
04-25-2010, 10:21 AM
I'd like to see the Thunder win the series as well as the Bulls. Imagine two #8 seeds knocking off two #1 seeds the same year.

Mell413
04-25-2010, 10:30 AM
I'd probably say yes just because they have 2 games at Staples. However if OKC wins game 5 I think they win game 6 at home. Also with game 5 being Tuesday they do have more time to rest.

blastmasta26
04-25-2010, 10:38 AM
Lakers will win this series. HCA + I expect Kobe to start doing something soon.

Big Quett
04-25-2010, 10:51 AM

Yeah but were any of those teams as good as this Thunder team? imo no. But if the Lake Show get past this Thunder team they will cruise towards the finals.

Big Quett
04-25-2010, 10:53 AM
I'd probably say yes just because they have 2 games at Staples. However if OKC wins game 5 I think they win game 6 at home. Also with game 5 being Tuesday they do have more time to rest.

Yeah that is a BIG advantage for the Lake Show. Much needed rest for older legs. And i think game 6 is like next friday.

ragee
04-25-2010, 12:30 PM
The Thunder kind of remind me of the Hawks when the Celts won the championship... A young team that gave the number one seed a hard time...

coloradobuff
04-25-2010, 12:38 PM
well they are in for a fight now

Big Quett
04-25-2010, 12:39 PM
The Thunder kind of remind me of the Hawks when the Celts won the championship... A young team that gave the number one seed a hard time...

The Thunder are better than that team was. And might be better then they are right now.

m26555
04-25-2010, 12:41 PM
The Thunder are better than that team was. And might be better then they are right now.
Agreed on both accounts.

If anything, the Thunder remind me more of the '07 Warriors.

philliesfan26
04-25-2010, 01:05 PM
no i think the thunder can take the lakers down last night they held kobe to 12 points and the lakers are having a hard time with the thunder so i think no repeat for the black mamba

Avenged
04-25-2010, 02:08 PM
Yeah but were any of those teams as good as this Thunder team? imo no. But if the Lake Show get past this Thunder team they will cruise towards the finals.

No they weren't as good as the Thunder though Atlanta is debatable.

But the Lakers were the better team last year.

Boston was the better team 2 years ago.

Lakers are the better team this year (to the Thunder), that's why I feel it's up to the Thunder to beat the Lakers. Not "will the Lakers beat the Thunder".

Iodine
04-25-2010, 02:14 PM
All that matters is that Jazz>lakers

J-Relo
04-25-2010, 02:29 PM
they should, but anything can happen... if Lakers get beaten by Thunder?

who out of west can matchup with Orlando or Cleveland?

fadedmario
04-25-2010, 02:31 PM
A boston fan started this thread. Lakers will win, but it might take 7. And Boston aint getting past the second round

Big Quett
04-25-2010, 02:41 PM
No they weren't as good as the Thunder though Atlanta is debatable.

But the Lakers were the better team last year.

Boston was the better team 2 years ago.

Lakers are the better team this year (to the Thunder), that's why I feel it's up to the Thunder to beat the Lakers. Not "will the Lakers beat the Thunder".

Yeah i dont think anyone will argue that the Lakers are the better team. But the better team doesnt always win. But the gap in who is the better team isnt as wide as those other examples.

And i disagree with your notion that the Thunder have to beat LA. I think it is the other way around. The Lakers thought just because the Thunder where young they would just fold. And that just isnt is the case. The Lakers think they can just "out talent" them. And they are getting out hustled and out worked

Ryan328
04-25-2010, 02:41 PM
I had LA in six, but I think it may go 7

Silent
04-25-2010, 02:45 PM
thunder in 7

Raph12
04-25-2010, 02:59 PM
LA got lucky they weren't playing the Spurs in the first round, they've played horribly in the series and are still at 2-2, OKC doesn't have the experience to capitalize.

Avenged
04-25-2010, 03:43 PM
Yeah i dont think anyone will argue that the Lakers are the better team. But the better team doesnt always win. But the gap in who is the better team isnt as wide as those other examples.

And i disagree with your notion that the Thunder have to beat LA. I think it is the other way around. The Lakers thought just because the Thunder where young they would just fold. And that just isnt is the case. The Lakers think they can just "out talent" them. And they are getting out hustled and out worked

Not have to beat L.A, but will they beat L.A should be the question.

It's silly I know, but I just think the question should have been "Will the Thunder beat the Lakers?", not the other way around.

Big Quett
04-25-2010, 04:31 PM
Not have to beat L.A, but will they beat L.A should be the question.

It's silly I know, but I just think the question should have been "Will the Thunder beat the Lakers?", not the other way around.

umm well ok i guess. But the good thing about it is that we both will find out. Game 5 is the series imo

CAVS21
04-25-2010, 11:33 PM
You should be worried about your cavs first,cause chitown has a real shot to even the series tonight.

bahahaha no........:shush:

sunnydayin'zona
04-26-2010, 12:04 AM
they should, but anything can happen... if Lakers get beaten by Thunder?

who out of west can matchup with Orlando or Cleveland?

outside of the lakers, i feel like teams like the spurs, suns, nuggets could match up against orlando. also dallas maybe. but i dont see any of those teams matching up well enough against the cavs.

ragee
04-26-2010, 12:25 AM
Agreed on both accounts.

If anything, the Thunder remind me more of the '07 Warriors.

So you're saying the 07 warriors was better than the Hawks?

iggypop123
04-26-2010, 12:33 AM

i never like hearing this argument especially since its made to support someone's views. for example it would be easy to do it in the lakers favor as well. the lakers played well and outshot the thunder in game 3, and could have won despite the amazing thunder FT advantage. if ron artest wasnt stupid and stepped on the line twice for a 3, and they didnt call artest for a foul when the game was down to 2 for breathing on durant. too easy of an argument.

PrettyBoyJ
04-26-2010, 12:42 AM
DOnt forget Kobe is playing with a broken finger and a soar knee nagging injuries effects a players performance big time

CAVS21
04-26-2010, 01:16 AM
DOnt forget Kobe is playing with a broken finger and a soar knee nagging injuries effects a players performance big time

excuses.......:facepalm:

SouljahPhil...
04-26-2010, 01:35 AM
i love this guys thread all the tym..woot woo!!

SouljahPhil...
04-26-2010, 01:36 AM
excuses.......:facepalm:

lol..its not an excuse..his stating facts...:confused:

michelangelo
04-26-2010, 02:11 AM
Regardless of the outcome of this series, it will be interesting to see what type of year Kobe has next season. The injuries are really starting to pile up, and he is less than meticulous in getting the rest and rehab necessary to recover fully.

Dude wants to ball in the summertime too. It's crazy.

ragee
04-26-2010, 02:57 AM

Don't forget Kobe is playing with an ego and arrogance the size of the whole team's!

Big Quett
04-26-2010, 09:10 AM

Yeah and if he was shooting 50% and swept the series he would be a damn hero. Didnt he have this same injury all year and last? Nobody mentioned it then.He was just so tough because he was playing through it. But when they start losing all everybody wants to talk about is his injury. This time of year EVERYBODY has nagging injuries.

JayW_1023
04-26-2010, 09:14 AM
Yeah and if he was shooting 50% and swept the series he would be a damn hero. Didnt he have this same injury all year and last? Nobody mentioned it then.He was just so tough because he was playing through it. But when they start losing all everybody wants to talk about is his injury. This time of year EVERYBODY has nagging injuries.

Well said. In game 2 he had a terrific vintage Kobe game with the same damn injuries.

Iron24th
04-26-2010, 09:20 AM
Can't wait for game 5!

CAVS21
04-27-2010, 02:42 AM

yea....and if they were winning games it would be because Kobe is fighting thru injuries blah blah blah so its fact but right now its also an excuse.

sventhedog
04-27-2010, 03:01 AM
i know the thunder has a chance to win it. but i think the lakers would still win this series. it's natural for writers or announcers to sort of hype the lower seeded team up because it would encourage viewers. it's more exciting to watch a game when you think both teams had a chance to win.

both utah rockets and denver gave the lakers a hard time last year but they still won the title. you always hear how a great series that boston vs chicago last year but they don't even mention kevin garnett missing the playoffs.

the first two games, reports were saying that the thunder's inexperience is showing. after the previous 2 games, you can read everywhere about an upset or kobe having an issue with jackson. but if the lakers win it, you'll start hearing reports that oklahoma should start practicing more if they want to advance next season. that's just the way it is.

SouljahPhil...
04-27-2010, 09:25 AM

check your injury facts dude...its not the same as last year..he has more injuries this year..As a laker fan i don't use those injuries as an excuse because their playing like **** this series..But check if your facts are correct about his injuries...Also I think kobe has never shot better than 50%..he's fg % is usually 40-45..

SouljahPhil...
04-27-2010, 09:27 AM
yea....and if they were winning games it would be because Kobe is fighting thru injuries blah blah blah so its fact but right now its also an excuse.

of course he is fighting through injuries..lol if you have his injuries I bet you won't even play a game...lol...Kobe is a warrior...him and the whole lakers team is just playing like **** this series...

drama1386
04-27-2010, 10:24 AM
i still think OKC is gonna take the series in 6.

Avenged
04-27-2010, 10:35 AM
i still think OKC is gonna take the series in 6.

I can't see the Thunder winning 4 in a row against the Lakers.

If they somehow pull off the upset, it would have to be in 7.

Corey
04-27-2010, 11:19 AM
This.

The thunder will not win at staples,haters know it but don't want to face it,the Lakers will win in 6 or 7 more likely the way they play @OKC.

How do 'haters know it'?

You're the one that just stated 'that's why we play the games' in your previous post, hinting that upsets are entirely possible in sports.

Isn't that contradictory?

G-Funk
04-27-2010, 11:27 AM
Lakers in 6

amoore87
04-27-2010, 11:39 AM
tonights game decides it i think

Jack Daniels
04-27-2010, 11:45 AM

Man, you got so much anger there pal. You should save some of it for the Magic, for when they knock you outta the running again.

MVMarauder
04-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Lakers in 6

MJ-BULLS
04-27-2010, 12:20 PM
When this series started i really thought the thunder had a good enough team to beat or give the Lakers a run for their money.

I think its possible they can beat the Lakers.

HoopsDrive
04-27-2010, 12:31 PM
Wow, I may actually get my Thunder in 6 prediction right... **** I just jinxed it.

iggypop123
04-27-2010, 01:41 PM
not looking great for the lakers so far. 2 of the refs for tonight were the ones that reffed game 2 of the nba finals against the celtics. that FT disparity might explode tonight

Giantwarrior
04-27-2010, 01:53 PM
The Thunder are too young to close out the series. if they lose Game 5 its over for the Thunder.

Sadds The Gr8
04-27-2010, 01:56 PM
as much as I want it to happen, **** no.

Giantwarrior
04-27-2010, 02:03 PM
lakers will win by 15-20 points tonight.

RaiderLakersA's
04-27-2010, 03:04 PM
The Lakers will win the series. It may take them 7 games, but they'll win.

And I feel sorry for whomever faces the Lakers after this series. I initially wanted us to meet the Spurs, because I felt the Lakers needed a team to push them and remind them that the road to the championship is not a cake walk. To my pleasant surprise, the Thunder are doing just that. If the Lakers get out of this series, it's going to be a rush to daylight.

RaiderLakersA's
04-27-2010, 03:05 PM
lakers will win by 15-20 points tonight.

They'll win by 5 - 7 points...but they'll win.

Avenged
04-27-2010, 03:06 PM
I don't care if the Lakers win by 1 on a Mbenga buzzer beater, as long as they win.

NortonMang
04-27-2010, 04:45 PM
A lot is said about the Thunder running the Lakers up and down the court. They aren't really a run and gun type of team like Knicks or Warriors or Phoenix. There's nothing helter skelter about what they do on offense as with some other up tempo teams. What they are is fast and quick. On defense they converge on the ball en masse when it gets down low. That swarming play has led to a lot of blocks. You can win with speed over brawn but you've got to know what to do to get it done. John Wooden taught that lesson winning his first two titles with 6'5' Fred Slaughter the Bruins tallest player.

tredigs
04-27-2010, 04:58 PM
A lot is said about the Thunder running the Lakers up and down the court. They aren't really a run and gun type of team like Knicks or Warriors or Phoenix. There's nothing helter skelter about what they do on offense as with some other up tempo teams. What they are is fast and quick. On defense they converge on the ball en masse when it gets down low. That swarming play has led to a lot of blocks. You can win with speed over brawn but you've got to know what to do to get it done. John Wooden taught that lesson winning his first two titles with 6'5' Fred Slaughter the Bruins tallest player.

It's true, the team doesn't play any quicker than the Lakers at all. They are just a lot faster and in better shape, so it seems that way. But the actual pace of the game from either end's not noticeable.

I predict that if the Lakers win tonight, it's going to go hand in hand with getting 15+ more foul shots than the Thunder. They're going to attack the rim all game and force the refs to make the decisions. This Lakers team is smart enough to know how to win a game if they can't guarantee that they'll outplay their opponents, and this is how.

If they get less than 15 more foul shots than the Thunder, then OKC wins this game. They're the best foul shooting team in the league, so the gap is necessary.

NortonMang
04-27-2010, 07:19 PM
The Thunder are a better defensive team because they have stressed defense all season while the Lakers went through the motions waiting for the playoffs. Not being really sharp is compounded by what appears to be a full blown on steroids chemistry issue involving Kobe and Phil. The Thunder have been tested this season, fighting the whole year for legitimacy as their young players got good faster than anyone figured. L.A. isn't comfortable in the intense mode the Thunder force. The Lakers are going to lose this series.

CAVS21
04-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Man, you got so much anger there pal. You should save some of it for the Magic, for when they knock you outta the running again.

I'm just saying, he's fighting thru injuries sure, BUT at the same time if he was this warrior like I thought he was he wouldn't go hide in the locker room in the fourth quarter of a blowout instead of fighting back with his team.

_KB24_
04-27-2010, 07:39 PM
Shannon should get heavy minutes tonight. He is our only PG who can keep up with and body Westbrook. If Fisher is guarding him for 15+ minutes, forget about it.