PDA

View Full Version : Hindsight: would you have done the Castro for Halladay deal?

ReJo
04-23-2010, 03:24 PM
As most of you know when Halladay was put on the market this winter they called the Cubs and presumably Starlin Castro was the guy they wanted.
There were a couple more issues like money but Jimbo probably could have gotten this deal done if he wanted to.
Seeing what Halladay is doing so far dominating and making the NL his ***** would you go back and do the deal?
Castro is still a great prospect who has a bright future ahead of him.

Ron!n
04-23-2010, 03:26 PM
It would have taken more than just Castro, but id probably have done it. Halladay is amazing.

loublue22
04-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Starting pitching hasn't been the problem, so no.

Doogolas
04-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Halladay is too old for me to want to trade a super high end prospect for. :shrug: I dunno how long he's gonna be good for. Would have worried me.

CubbieSteve
04-23-2010, 03:39 PM
No, our pitching has been fine so far and Castro is on the fast track. Hallady would have been sweet but he wouldn't have helped us hit the ball.

croce_99
04-23-2010, 03:41 PM
Halladay could pitch 9 scoreless innings and we would still lose. You'd have to take him out eventually and the bullpen would give up 1-9 runs, and ballgame is over.

So no, I wouldn't have.

ReJo
04-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Halladay could pitch 9 scoreless innings and we would still lose. You'd have to take him out eventually and the bullpen would give up 1-9 runs, and ballgame is over.

So no, I wouldn't have.

That's a good point. He's got a much better offense and bullpen behind him in Philly than he would have in Chicago.

ReJo
04-23-2010, 03:53 PM
On another note Peavy is looking awful with the White Sox so I'm glad Hendry ****ed up that deal 2 winters ago.

Mell413
04-23-2010, 03:53 PM
I wouldn't have. I'm assuming someone like Demp and/or Soto would have been included in the deal as well. Then by-resigning Halladay it could cost the team the chance to bring Lee and Ramirez back. I thought the opportunity cost was too great.

WorldChamps1908
04-23-2010, 04:03 PM
We need runs.

Hawkize31
04-23-2010, 05:49 PM
Starting pitching hasn't been the problem, so no.

This.

Our team never scores enough, and Halladay wouldn't help that problem at all. Our team can't close out games, and Halladay would help with that a little bit by going deep into games, but thats not how you address a bad bullpen.

behindmydesk
04-23-2010, 06:01 PM
well it wasn't just castro for for him, but it doesn't matter, I truley think we didn't have the money to aquire him anyway.

Jilly Bohnson
04-23-2010, 06:15 PM
I wouldn't want to pay any pitcher 20 million a year, so no.

4cubs
04-23-2010, 06:28 PM
I wouldn't want to pay any pitcher 20 million a year, so no.
Me neither. Good thing we are only paying Z $18 million.

Jilly Bohnson
04-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Me neither. Good thing we are only paying Z $18 million.

And look how well that's working out for us...

gocubs2118
04-23-2010, 06:38 PM
And look how well that's working out for us...

What? You don't enjoy a 18 million dollar setup man?

Tehjosha
04-23-2010, 06:42 PM

Personally, since our setup man is worthy of 18 million a year, I have all the confidence in the world in him. If he's making that much he has to be damn good.

Diehardcub
04-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Personally, since our setup man is worthy of 18 million a year, I have all the confidence in the world in him. If he's making that much he has to be damn good.

He must be the best setup man in history to be making 18m a year.

zambo4president
04-23-2010, 07:25 PM
I would have. This teams on it's about last shot anyways, Halladay could of gotten us over the hump.

Diehardcub
04-23-2010, 07:41 PM
I would have. This teams on it's about last shot anyways, Halladay could of gotten us over the hump.

So Halladay can pitch 9 innings every night, and he can hit for us too?

Captain Obvious
04-23-2010, 07:56 PM
I love how ReJo's definition of hind sight is 4 starts by Doc and 0 MLB AB's by Castro

semperfi
04-23-2010, 08:03 PM

I figure, he's not earning it starting, lets see if he can get it relieving when the its for the "better of the team".

zambo4president
04-23-2010, 08:33 PM
So Halladay can pitch 9 innings every night, and he can hit for us too?

That's why we have Marlon Byrd and Kosuke Fukudome!

Doogolas
04-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Oops.

ReJo
04-23-2010, 10:22 PM
I love how ReJo's definition of hind sight is 4 starts by Doc and 0 MLB AB's by Castro

Well I'm not gonna wait 10 years down the road when Halladay is retired and Castro is either a stud or a bust or somewhere in the middle.
It's just a question of if you would rather have a number one starter now or the chance at the next Hanley Ramirez or Derek Jeter down the road.
I thought it was a good debate in the offseason and is a good debate now with our supposed number 1 in the bullpen thats all.
It's not like I'm saying in hindsight do you think we should have signed Tim Lincecum when we drafted him out of high school?

DamnGoat
04-23-2010, 11:24 PM
I don't think one SP is good enough to get this team over the hump, no matter how dominant they are. The rotation isn't exactly a problem with this team either, it's the inconsistent offense, terrible bullpen and clueless manager.

Doogolas
04-23-2010, 11:33 PM
I don't think one SP is good enough to get this team over the hump, no matter how dominant they are. The rotation isn't exactly a problem with this team either, it's the inconsistent offense, terrible bullpen and clueless manager.

Yeah our team SP ERA right now is 3.34, the SP has been just fine haha.

ty_smitty21
04-24-2010, 02:19 AM
Castro appears to be the real deal. This is really tough, however. If this team somehow made the playoffs, we don't have that ace to win in October. But overall, our rotation is very good and should continue to be good.

The trade we SHOULD have done was Rich Hill, Ronny Cedeno, and Kevin Hart for Brian Roberts 2 years ago.

And now... I honestly wouldn't mind seeing a Gorzelany and Josh Vitters for Heath Bell trade. Vitters is on the decline as a prospect unfortunately. Doesn't mean he can't get better.. but he worries me.

Doogolas
04-24-2010, 02:33 AM
Castro appears to be the real deal. This is really tough, however. If this team somehow made the playoffs, we don't have that ace to win in October. But overall, our rotation is very good and should continue to be good.

The trade we SHOULD have done was Rich Hill, Ronny Cedeno, and Kevin Hart for Brian Roberts 2 years ago.

And now... I honestly wouldn't mind seeing a Gorzelany and Josh Vitters for Heath Bell trade. Vitters is on the decline as a prospect unfortunately. Doesn't mean he can't get better.. but he worries me.
:laugh: That would be SO much worse than even the Pierre trade. So very, VERY much worse.

Captain Obvious
04-24-2010, 02:37 AM
:laugh: That would be SO much worse than even the Pierre trade. So very, VERY much worse.

We would be raping them so! LOL. We'd have to throw in at least Soto.

MJ-BULLS
04-24-2010, 01:28 PM
nah i dont think so.

Halladay is up there in age and dont know how long he can ride it out.

Plus i think Castro is going to end up being a pretty good damm player for us.

PunkShizzle
04-26-2010, 09:21 AM
I'd definitely have done it - then Lou could have put him in the pen and our 7th-8th innings would be all set with Doc and Big Z

weneedpitching
04-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Can it really be hindsight at this point if Castro has yet to play a major league inning?

JuggernautJ
04-26-2010, 11:40 AM
No. There are only three pitchers that i would trade castro to get.

Justin Verlander
Zack Greinke
Tim Lincecum

jiggin
04-26-2010, 05:46 PM
hind sight...hmmm...love this game.

in hindsight, i sure wish I had gone to Stanford rather than Princeton.

in hindsight, i sure wish I had booked that beach front condo next to the swimsuit competition.

in hindsight, I sure wish I had not had that last spicy burrito last night.

oh...so many things could have changed with the use of hindsight...

Swashcuff
04-26-2010, 07:47 PM
No. There are only three pitchers that i would trade castro to get.

Justin Verlander
Zack Greinke
Tim Lincecum

I'm guessing its because of their age and upside.... right?

So why not Felix Hernandez?

scrubs101
04-28-2010, 01:14 PM
Bruce Levine was just on ESPN1000 saying he expects Castro to be called up as soon as next week but no more than a few weeks from now and will be the Cubs starting shortstop. Says Randy Bush is down there right now and will be giving his advice to JH soon.

Still Bruce's opinion but an interesting nugget