PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Cavs wasting Shaq?

Boston Faithful
04-23-2010, 04:06 AM
What are they doing with him?

He's averaging 20 minutes per game in this series on the way to 8.7 points per game and 5.3 rebounds. He's not even getting that many fouls at 3. He's only taken 21 shots all series.

They really need to play him more. Even though he didn't have a good night shooting tonight, I still think they could have won had they played him more. I still believe he can be an All-Star but Cleveland has shorted him all season.

Bulls_fan90
04-23-2010, 05:34 AM
He's just not that good anymore.

SNYmets86
04-23-2010, 05:55 AM
Maybe they saving him for DWIGHT

J-Relo
04-23-2010, 06:39 AM
not WASTING but SAVING

it's Bulls... nothing against them, but even Cavs know they have huge advantage over them and they are clear favorite in these series... ok, last nights game showed Cavs have serious problems if they want to win it all... whole team has to step it up... even when such a team as Bulls play as great as they did it doesn't matter, Cavs have to be able to blow them out, keep out from scoring...

JordansBulls
04-23-2010, 07:53 AM

He's averaging 20 minutes per game in this series on the way to 8.7 points per game and 5.3 rebounds. He's not even getting that many fouls at 3. He's only taken 21 shots all series.

They really need to play him more. Even though he didn't have a good night shooting tonight, I still think they could have won had they played him more. I still believe he can be an All-Star but Cleveland has shorted him all season.

I don't know, but Lebron better start getting guys going and taking and controlling the ball too much otherwise the Cavs fate will be like last year.

J-Relo
04-23-2010, 08:11 AM
I don't know, but Lebron better start getting guys going and taking and controlling the ball too much otherwise the Cavs fate will be like last year.

yes, as I said they are in trouble, last game showed it best...

maybe not the best start will make it different from last year

GrumpyOldMan
04-23-2010, 08:13 AM
Shaq shouldn't be playing 35-40 minutes. He'd gas out if he played big minutes every series.

TheKing23
04-23-2010, 08:18 AM

After one game you're criticizing a guy that has averaged 7 assists a game in this series for not getting other guys going?

You blame a guy that has averaged 34.3 ppg, 8 rpg, 7 apg, 1.3 spg and 3 bpg and shot 57.4% from the field and 46.2% from deep for not getting his teammates involved? It's not his fault some of his teammates are missing shots.

If I had the choice of 5 extra shots for Anthony Parker or 5 extra shots for LeBron, I know who I want taking them.

Last night LeBron was getting people open looks, they just weren't going down. Rose and Hinrich exploded offensively and had games which I very much doubt will be replicated during the series (however good Rose is), the Cavs struggled offensively and defensively for three quarters and they still had a chance to win it with a hail mary at the end.

After the series LeBron's had so far nobody can discredit him for not trying to do what's best for his team.

Bullsfan22
04-23-2010, 08:28 AM
cavs aren't waisting Lebron, they simply don't need him against the Bulls to be honest.

J-Relo
04-23-2010, 08:34 AM
After one game you're criticizing a guy that has averaged 7 assists a game in this series for not getting other guys going?

You blame a guy that has averaged 34.3 ppg, 8 rpg, 7 apg, 1.3 spg and 3 bpg and shot 57.4% from the field and 46.2% from deep for not getting his teammates involved? It's not his fault some of his teammates are missing shots.

If I had the choice of 5 extra shots for Anthony Parker or 5 extra shots for LeBron, I know who I want taking them.

Last night LeBron was getting people open looks, they just weren't going down. Rose and Hinrich exploded offensively and had games which I very much doubt will be replicated during the series (however good Rose is), the Cavs struggled offensively and defensively for three quarters and they still had a chance to win it with a hail mary at the end.

After the series LeBron's had so far nobody can discredit him for not trying to do what's best for his team.

who are actually playing their best besides Lebron?...

that what he meant, Cavs needs to step up to the level they are supposed to if they wanna win it all...

69centers
04-23-2010, 08:40 AM
Shaq slows the team down. IMO, they are better with him off the floor, unless they are going up against Howard.

TheKing23
04-23-2010, 09:16 AM
who are actually playing their best besides Lebron?...

that what he meant, Cavs needs to step up to the level they are supposed to if they wanna win it all...

Yeah I understood what he meant, it's just the way he said it. It's almost like he's blaming LeBron for his teammates poor play.

Anyway, Mo and Jamison have both played well so far this series:

Mo Williams: 17.3 ppg, 3 rpg, 6.3 apg, 44.7 fg% and 40% 3 point shooting
Antawn Jamison: 16 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 46.7 fg%

I just hate the knee jerk reaction threads... It's one game, the Cavs played great ball in the first two games, the Bulls come out and have one of their best offensive games of the year, beat the Cavs by two and everyone is saying it's the 2009 playoffs all over again for the Cavs...

madiaz3
04-23-2010, 11:47 AM

The assist numbers don't really matter. What I saw last year versus Orlando is that the rest of the team was not able to get into any sort of rhythm in creating their own offense because the only time they scored were gimme's/open layups that Lebron provided. Dominating the ball less would allow players like Mo Williams or Jamison to more regularly be offensive threats that create their own offense without being spoonfed. Letting Lebron get his and watching his cold teammates continue to play poorly seems to be a popular strategy. And it always comes off as his teammates disappointing but no matter how open a shot is a player is going to find it difficult to make it if he hasn't gotten any time with the ball.

That's just how some people see it. Though it's a very complex subject.

Mr.ATLHawks
04-23-2010, 11:56 AM
Yes I agree this thread adds to my previous notions that PSD = www.letsblowtheslightestthingoutofproportion.com. Shaq, has been out of action for awhile, let him get his rhythm back for Christs Sake. Andrew Bynum aint playing 30 minutes and quite frankly LA needs Bynum more then Cleveland needs Shaq at this point in the playoffs. Mo Williams is a streaky shooter as is all of the Cleveland Guards (which is their one true weakness). Kirk Hinrich played an outstanding game as well as Derrick Rose. This is the NBA any given day any team can beat any team. Thats is why they play a series instead of one game elimination.

PS. Its not like the Cavs lost by 20 or something, quit *****ing

Mr.ATLHawks
04-23-2010, 11:58 AM
And the real problem with Cleveland yesterday was Defense...Why do you allow Derrick Rose to beats on you I will never know. No offense to Chicago fans but I would triple team Rose and make the other unestablished people beat me. Thats what Phil Jackson would do... Phil Jackson = 10 championship Rings

td0tsfinest
04-23-2010, 11:59 AM
I think they're saving him. I guess their mentality was they would easily sweep the bulls without Shaq. Which didn't work out. If I were the Cavs I would start dumping the ball down to Shaq early on and try to get Noah in foul trouble. While Rose is their best player, I think Noah is very crucial to their success.

Sadds The Gr8
04-23-2010, 12:00 PM

They're obviously saving him for Dwight. What's the point in making him play heavy minutes vs a team that doesn't even have a star big man? I said from b4 the playoffs started that I would be shocked if Shaq played over 20 mpg in the 1st round, and it looks like I'm right. Guess u forgot the ONLY reason they got Shaq was for D12.

Teeboy1487
04-23-2010, 12:11 PM
I don't get this notion why the cavs should be saving him. Shaq has not played alot this year. He stills needs to get in game shape. He is not going to magically get in game shape sitting on the bench. I don't understand why Cleveland don't utilize him more or at least give him some minutes to get in shape.

Chronz
04-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Because Shaq is only helping the team when hes in the starting lineup and they have to find minutes for AV+BigZ

Chronz
04-23-2010, 12:21 PM

Mo got all the same looks he got during the year, and him handling the ball (especially when Bron was out) did nothing for the team. So my question to you is why do you think the Cavs should play to lose?

Toenail Clipper
04-23-2010, 12:37 PM
They're saving him for Dwight.

king4day
04-23-2010, 01:10 PM
Bulls are a quick team. They don't really need him a whole lot for this one. Against Boston and Orlando is when he'll be used the most.
Hawks he won't see a lot of time either.

Raph12
04-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Maybe they saving him for DWIGHT

This... They don't need him for Chitown.

JasonJohnHorn
04-23-2010, 01:57 PM
They arent wasting him, they are saving him for Howard!

Hawkeye15
04-23-2010, 01:59 PM
saving him for Boston or Orlando. No need to overplay him against Chicago.

DMasta718
04-23-2010, 03:08 PM
Just like everyone is saying, he's not needed for this series. They are saving him for the teams with a inside presence like Boston & Magics

JordansBulls
04-23-2010, 03:18 PM

It's not about him having 7 apg or giving the rock up, it is about how much he has the ball in his hands. Just like last year, it was easy to beat the Cavs because you knew Lebron would have the ball 18-20 seconds per play and then either make a play. Problem is, is that if other guys are getting the rock then they don't produce. Imagine how effective Lebron would be on a team if the only time he got the ball was when it was like 6 seconds or left on the shot clock.

Jahari Kavi
04-23-2010, 03:24 PM
he'll be more useful agains the magic and lakers

Geargo Wallace
04-23-2010, 03:36 PM
they lost 1 game CHILLLLLLLL. The Bulls are gonna' lose the next 2.

Brooklyn Mets
04-23-2010, 03:44 PM
saving his strength for superman vs superman