PDA

View Full Version : Stern threatens suspensions for criticizing refs

TmacBryant
04-23-2010, 02:51 AM
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2010/04/22/stern-threatens-suspensions-for-continued-criticism-of-referees/?ls=iref:nbahpt1 :facepalm:

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2010/04/23/the-phil-jackson-response/ - Phil's response

"Bryant attempted zero free throws in Game 3 while Durant was 12-for-13 from the charity stripe. After the game, Bryant avoided a question about his lack of free-throw attempts Thursday night by saying, "I'm not quite sure how to answer that. ... Um, yeah. Both teams played hard."

lol

asandhu23
04-23-2010, 03:12 AM
Another evidence that NBA is rigged.

AIverson
04-23-2010, 03:41 AM
It's obvious the NBA is rigged. Doesn't mean it's not worth watching though. I still enjoy it!

D Roses Bulls
04-23-2010, 03:55 AM
stern is an ***

Fireworld
04-23-2010, 05:00 AM
Whatever. If it weren't for Stern, I wouldn't be able to watch the NBA in Tunisia. People in America really don't know how international the NBA has gotten because of David. He can be a nerd sometimes though.. :p

abe_froman
04-23-2010, 05:03 AM
Whatever. If it weren't for Stern, I wouldn't be able to watch the NBA in Tunisia. People in America really don't know how international the NBA has gotten because of David. He can be a nerd sometimes though.. :p

he's done a hell of a job growing the league but he also has done alot to hurt the game itself

DLeeicious
04-23-2010, 07:41 AM
It's obvious the NBA is rigged. Doesn't mean it's not worth watching though. I still enjoy it!

man this is so true

RadiantShot
04-23-2010, 09:21 AM
If you think the NBA isn't rigged, please state why, because nothing Stern has done this year makes sense, besides some of the awards. Everything else, is ridiculous.

GrumpyOldMan
04-23-2010, 09:30 AM
I kinda agree with Stern a bit here. I'm sick of coaches calling out refs too. They should have every right to argue a call during a game, but going to the press to publicly humilliate a ref is ridiculous. Refs will miss calls just the same as players make mistakes. I really would like to see what would happen if a ref went to the press and pointed out every strategic mistake a coach made during a game. The coach would go nuts and then cry to Stern to try to have the ref fired.

avrpatsfan
04-23-2010, 09:51 AM
Freedom of Speech anyone?

JasonJohnHorn
04-23-2010, 09:53 AM
There is no way to hold official accontable, and coaches and players some times feel (and rightly so in many cases) slighted, and there are teams who have, on many occassions, lost a game because of bad calls. And when the league does recognize this, all the do is post something on NBA.com the next say and say: we made a mistake. but nothing is done to correct the issue. The "W" is not taken away, the play is not played again the next time the two teams meet. So what is there to be done? If a team, whose fans have been paying good money all season, and whose owner has shelled out some serious coin to put together a competative team, loses a game because of a bad call, dont they have a right to voice their concern about the games are called?

I mean, all team have to do to get around it is send an assistant coach out to the press conference, or an owner (like Cuban) to voice their concerns and no worries about them get "suspended" for a game, I mean who cares if Mark Cuban shows up for at game a the Alamo dome (AKA the AT&T Center).

Fines are enough, and these guys have a right to complain when they get screwed over, besided, most people just get called cry babies when they complain about a call.

Geargo Wallace
04-23-2010, 09:59 AM
I heard that he's suspending the ball boy of the Raptors for telling him:

"Then don't watch SUCKA!"

JasonJohnHorn
04-23-2010, 09:59 AM

You are very right. Stern gets a lot of disses and complaints, and I think this is in part because he is kind of square. But he has done lots to get the game's popularity to rise internationally and stregthen the league. The league has a lot more European players now, and that has helped to make the league deeper. Its a shame he hasnt been able to swing an NBA affilaite league in Europe, but as much good as he has done, he has made some bone head moves.

As for officials, they really need to have an instant replay rule like the NFL, and when officials do make bad calls, there has to be some means of corrective action. Even allowing replays would go a long way to correcting such issues. If Phil Jackson got to challenge a call in game time and was found to be right and the call went the other way, do you think he would complain in the press conference? Nobody would. But rather than solve the problem Stern just wants people to stop talking about it. Not cool.

G-Funk
04-23-2010, 10:18 AM
F David Stern, that ****er should not be allowed to deal with the refs, all sports refs need theire own organization.

macc
04-23-2010, 10:40 AM
The NBA is not rigged, theres no giant conspiracy. Refs have always been the scape goats. If a team is losing, the easy thing to do is blame it on the refs, same goes with their fans. How many times have you heard the phrase "The refs handed the game over to the other team." People think a bad call will make more of an impact on a game then the actual game planning it self. Yes refs can affect the tempo of a game, I won't disagree with that, but then you use common sense and realize that teams have to come up with offensive/defensive strageties, substituion patterns, double teams, pressures, when to foul, when not to foul, but oh wait, its the refs fault a team lost.......to me its just silly thinking.

Coaches should suck it up and bite their tongue. Theres going to be bad calls. Whining about it in the media isn't going to change anything. Leave it to us fans to debate it. When people take off their homer glasses they'll see that refs get the calls right about 70-90% of the time. I think that's pretty good. I wouldn't think it would be easy to officiate a Lebron James or Dwight Howard.

Have you ever been to a game? Every single call that goes against the home team gets booed, no matter how obvious it is. If people take off their homer glasses you'll see the majority of the calls are right. Get over it and don't blame refs for everything.

TopsyTurvy
04-23-2010, 11:37 AM
This announcement comes in the post-season when everyone - including the refs - are amped up to another level of intensity. I'm glad Stern threatened this, but until he starts doling out some tough love things won't change. Toss around some suspensions AND fines throughout for any criticism and this problem will evaporate.

In the past the league has spared no expense to protect the integrity of the game - this is no different.

magicdouglas
04-23-2010, 12:15 PM
You are very right. Stern gets a lot of disses and complaints, and I think this is in part because he is kind of square. But he has done lots to get the game's popularity to rise internationally and stregthen the league. The league has a lot more European players now, and that has helped to make the league deeper. Its a shame he hasnt been able to swing an NBA affilaite league in Europe, but as much good as he has done, he has made some bone head moves.

As for officials, they really need to have an instant replay rule like the NFL, and when officials do make bad calls, there has to be some means of corrective action. Even allowing replays would go a long way to correcting such issues. If Phil Jackson got to challenge a call in game time and was found to be right and the call went the other way, do you think he would complain in the press conference? Nobody would. But rather than solve the problem Stern just wants people to stop talking about it. Not cool.

how true :clap:

tr4shb0t
04-23-2010, 12:31 PM
Even Hitler was a better dictator than Stern.

We all know the regular season is as fake as it gets, I just don't understand how this moron thinks it's ok to extend series for a quick buck.

Toenail Clipper
04-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Then don't watch.

Chronz
04-23-2010, 01:04 PM
If you think the NBA isn't rigged, please state why, because nothing Stern has done this year makes sense, besides some of the awards. Everything else, is ridiculous.
Because most of the people who think its rigged are none too bright. For example, you just stated hes done nothing this year that makes sense besides the awards. Apparently your knowledge of NBA workings arent enough that you dont realize that its not his doing. I dont even think he gets a vote but hey hed prolly f it up right?

The league is not rigged, but there are alot of fans who cant come to grips with their teams lack of success.

Geargo Wallace
04-23-2010, 01:06 PM
You think they bet on who cums first?

Stern doesn't cum. That's why he's always pissed.

JNA17
04-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Stern: you are, an http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CQEw7UV4jw&feature=related (7:42-8:12)

Hawkeye15
04-23-2010, 01:54 PM
I agree with Stern 100%. Shut up coaches, and players publically. You get it in the fans heads that all this behavior is on purpose. If it is, fans will figure it out. Either way, all the whining in basketball now about the refs is incredible. STFU, or go do something else. And that goes for the fans as well.

Hawkeye15
04-23-2010, 01:54 PM
The NBA is such a woman's league now. It ticks me off sometimes.

J4KOP99
04-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Let the coaches say what they want. I would say about 95% of the time they are correct. Also, If you are going to fine coaches, please start fining the refs if they screw up.

Refs are being paid good money to do this, if they don't want to get yelled at, too bad for them. It is absolutely ridiculous that you can get fined $35,000(which is a ****ing ton of money, I don't care how much these people make) for complaining about some **** that is partially true.

The NBA refs are by far the worst officials in any of the 4 major sports and nothing is ever done.

jackdawson
04-23-2010, 02:05 PM

Then dont watch rigged nba!!

RadiantShot
04-23-2010, 02:07 PM
Because most of the people who think its rigged are none too bright. For example, you just stated hes done nothing this year that makes sense besides the awards. Apparently your knowledge of NBA workings arent enough that you dont realize that its not his doing. I dont even think he gets a vote but hey hed prolly f it up right?

The league is not rigged, but there are alot of fans who cant come to grips with their teams lack of success.

Well, I'm not one of those fans, because my team is actually doing great this season. I just find it ironic that some players don't get the respect deserved in the league. That might not all point to David Stern, but he's certainly not doing anything to fix it. He's making it worse. "Threatening Suspensions for Criticizing refs." How great! Now, teams have to suffer through whatever bad calls may go their way. Now, they don't even have a voice. In the NBA, now, you have to be nervous, while voicing your opinion, just for the simple fact that, you know you could possibly get suspended if you don't watch your mouth. That's the problem I have. I take back what I said about me, 'hating' him or whatever, but seriously, this guy needs to clear some things up.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
04-23-2010, 02:08 PM

then dont watch!

i like that sig tho! :D

sep11ie
04-23-2010, 02:08 PM
Stern doesn't cum. That's why he's always pissed.

Well then thats understandable. Maybe he should blast one out, he'll cheer up a bit.

Raph12
04-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Matt Barnes, Stan Van Gundy fined $35,000 apiece for criticizing refs;

The NBA announced minutes ago that it has fined Orlando Magic forward Matt Barnes and Magic coach Stan Van Gundy $35,000 apiece for publicly criticizing game officials after Orlando’s 92-77 win over Charlotte on Wednesday night.

They made comments about Dwight Howard’s foul trouble in Game 2.
Barnes said: “Hopefully, the refs will start letting Dwight be a little physical and stop calling such tic-tac fouls on him, you know, give him a chance to play.”

Barnes also said: “Dwight gets no respect from the refs, from the league as far as not being mentioned as the MVP. It’s crazy to see what they do to him every single play and then he puts his arm up and they call a foul.”

Van Gundy said: “It’s just so frustrating, because his first four fouls –and, look, I’m not saying they’re not fouls; I haven’t looked at the tape — but there’s certainly nothing blatant. There’s nothing where it’s obvious to everybody, ‘Yeah, that was a foul.’ I just don’t see the other great players in this league on the bench all the time in foul trouble, especially on marginal plays. I just don’t. But you’re sitting there on all of those and going, ‘Wow, really? That’s a foul?’ ”

5th time this season a Magic player/coach has been fined for critisizing the officiating...

Hellcrooner
04-23-2010, 02:31 PM
ok so then let Adam Morrison do the press confrences

JNA17
04-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Matt Barnes, Stan Van Gundy fined $35,000 apiece for criticizing refs;

5th time this season a Magic player/coach has been fined for critisizing the officiating...

it's ridiculous, no one is allowed to talk anymore.

Raph12
04-23-2010, 02:34 PM
The stupidest part is, the media always asks about the officiating against Dwight... WELL THEN HOW DO YOU EXPECT THEM TO RESPOND DOUCHEBAG!!!

Hellcrooner
04-23-2010, 02:34 PM
its hilarious that people complain but refs tough.

I mean we al KNOW that refs dont do their ob proplery becaus ethe league does not allow them too.

We all know the exact same action cbtwen Kobe lebron or wade to Redick or pvulovic will be a foul or not be called at all deppending who is kiking who.

Star calls they are called....

Raph12
04-23-2010, 02:38 PM
its hilarious that people complain but refs tough.

I mean we al KNOW that refs dont do their ob proplery becaus ethe league does not allow them too.

We all know the exact same action cbtwen Kobe lebron or wade to Redick or pvulovic will be a foul or not be called at all deppending who is kiking who.

Star calls they are called....

So is Dwight now on JJ Redick's level of stardom?

Diaw and G-Force both played 43mins in Game 1, Capn Jax played 42mins in Game 2 and Dwight's only played 55 minutes combined between both games... Nuff said.

Hellcrooner
04-23-2010, 02:40 PM
So is Dwight now on JJ Redick's level of stardom?

Diaw and G-Force both played 43mins in Game 1, Capn Jax played 42mins in Game 2 and Dwight's only played 55 minutes combined between both games... Nuff said.

Dwigh also gets his way with some too and he will get away with more in some time as he grows his stardom.

Raph12
04-23-2010, 02:42 PM
Dwigh also gets his way with some too and he will get away with more in some time as he grows his stardom.

These are the fouls 2-time DPOY Dwight picked up in game 2;

Foul #1: Ratliff had his arms wrapped around Dwight's right arm, Dwight lifts his arm to catch a potential pass, Ratliff bobbed his head and Dwight was called on an elbow.

Foul #2: Chandler holds Dwight's arm so he can't go for the rebound, G-Force pulls it down, Dwight swipes at it and is called for a reach.

Foul #3: Dwight jumps over Chandler for a rebound and is called for loose ball.

Foul #4: Mohammed has Dwight sealed behind him, Wallace attacks and Mohammed clears out, Dwight goes straight up with a clean block and is called on a shooting foul.

Foul #5: Dwight sets a pick, Jackson acts like he got hit and Dwight's called on a moving screen.

The 3rd one is the only "position" that Dwight could "avoid" getting into, the rest were just bad calls, plain and simple.

Nuff said.

RadiantShot
04-23-2010, 02:48 PM
Raph12 : Doin' Work. ;)

JNA17
04-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Raph12 : Doin' Work. ;)

now available to an NBA forum near you :p

RadiantShot
04-23-2010, 02:51 PM
now available to an NBA forum near you :p

:p

Call Now.

1-800-Raph-OwnzThredz

Raph12
04-23-2010, 02:52 PM
I'm just saying, the officiating is horrible and Dwight, being a 2-time DPOY, should get the benefit of the doubt on borderline calls, instead he always ends up on the wrong side of a bad call. Then the reporters ask everyone about how Dwight's been officiated and people get fined for responding?... Maybe Stern should start fining and suspending members of the media questioning the integrity of the refs and not the guys just answering questions (which they're also forced to do, otherwise they'll be fined for that as well [unless you're Lebron]).

I'm sorry but that's just bs IMO.

RadiantShot
04-23-2010, 02:53 PM
^
Agreed. If Dwight Howard could stay in the game, 3 or more quarters in total, he'd be averaging better stats, and be overall, more effective.

JNA17
04-23-2010, 02:54 PM
:p

Call Now.

1-800-Raph-OwnzThredz

:laugh2:

and if you do call now, you will receive a raph rant from raph himself, absolutely free!

RadiantShot
04-23-2010, 02:57 PM

and if you do call now, you will receive a raph rant from raph himself, absolutely free!

LMAO.

"If you call in the next 10 minutes, we'll throw in not 1, not 2, but 3 RAPH RANTS, In addition to the "Raph12 : Doin' Work" movie! Free of charge!"

Go_NUGGETS
04-23-2010, 02:58 PM
If Tim Donaughy was messing up games, then that serves as an indication that other refs may be fixing,rigging,messing up games...Not to mention, the refs get personal and hold grudges with players forever, which is not professional...

Yes, the refs have made basketball a joke....Why do I still watch it??? Because I been playing basketball since I was 6 years old, and it's my overall favorite sport...I wont let some bum refs stop me from watchin a sport that I admired my whole life....But I will continue to criticize refs as a fan, and wont put any money into the NBA.

Raph12
04-23-2010, 02:58 PM
^
Agreed. If Dwight Howard could stay in the game, 3 or more quarters in total, he'd be averaging better stats, and be overall, more effective.

If Dwight could stay in the game, we'd sweep easy with the avg margin of victory being 15+...

I said Magic in 5 just because of the bs calls I know Dwight will pick up.

RadiantShot
04-23-2010, 02:59 PM
Like when Tyrus Thomas went Hollywood style, and Dwight picked up his 3rd. -_-""""

JNA17
04-23-2010, 02:59 PM
LMAO.

"If you call in the next 10 minutes, we'll throw in not 1, not 2, but 3 RAPH RANTS, In addition to the "Raph12 : Doin' Work" movie! Free of charge!"

:laugh:

Geargo Wallace
04-23-2010, 03:01 PM
Well then thats understandable. Maybe he should blast one out, he'll cheer up a bit.

If John Wall pans out than im sure he will :)!

Raph12
04-23-2010, 03:02 PM
Like when Tyrus Thomas went Hollywood style, and Dwight picked up his 3rd. -_-""""

He was laughing after they called that foul, should've been a slap to the face for the officials... Boy would I love to do that. :drool:

Geargo Wallace
04-23-2010, 03:03 PM
LMAO.

and we'll also throw in a SNUGGIE!!!!!!!

RadiantShot
04-23-2010, 03:05 PM
^
LMAO.

"A useless blanket!"

Haha. Snuggies. Lmao. Good idea, but such a fail.

RadiantShot
04-23-2010, 03:06 PM
He was laughing after they called that foul, should've been a slap to the face for the officials... Boy would I love to do that. :drool:

Definitely. See, I don't really get mad at Dwight for those fouls, it's obviously the officiating I get mad at, but I also get mad whenever he commits a silly foul..Which happens sometimes.

Geargo Wallace
04-23-2010, 03:07 PM
^
LMAO.

"A useless blanket!"

Haha. Snuggies. Lmao. Good idea, but such a fail.

ppl look like they're in a crazy cult when they wear that **** LOL

RadiantShot
04-23-2010, 03:08 PM
LMAOOOOO! Haha. Good stuff. I was like, 'WOW, THAT LOOKS COOL!' Then I heard the reviews. It's basically like a blanket I guess. Who would wear that anyways, though. LMAO.

Geargo Wallace
04-23-2010, 03:10 PM
LMAOOOOO! Haha. Good stuff. I was like, 'WOW, THAT LOOKS COOL!' Then I heard the reviews. It's basically like a blanket I guess. Who would wear that anyways, though. LMAO.

lol they show ppl wearing them at baseball games. I lets look like a ****** at my son's baseball game!

RadiantShot
04-23-2010, 03:12 PM
ROFLLLLL!!!!

http://breadandsham.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/snuggie.jpg

Haha. Epic FAIL. Lol.

Avenged
04-23-2010, 03:25 PM
Didn't Cavs fans set the snuggies world record at the Quicken Loans Arena? :laugh2:

Geargo Wallace
04-23-2010, 03:39 PM
Didn't Cavs fans set the snuggies world record at the Quicken Loans Arena? :laugh2:

lol true. Its a LeBron-Cult following!

ballpd05
04-23-2010, 03:41 PM
The stupidest part is, the media always asks about the officiating against Dwight... WELL THEN HOW DO YOU EXPECT THEM TO RESPOND DOUCHEBAG!!!

They always ask questions about the officiating to everyone. The media knows how the coach feels about the game and how the game went. If a crucial call went the other way or there is a foul discrepancy they always ask about the officiating, and especially after a loss when the losers are emotional especially when they feel they were slighted of course they are going to make a comment about the officials.

If you all were playing a pick up game and it was tied 10 going to 11 and the other team misses a shot and calls a ticky tack foul and then comes back an makes a shot to win you'd be complaining too, and those games are worthless. So it's understandable if a coach or player wants to vent. I still think you need a penalty, but not suspensions unless you call a ref out by name.

TmacBryant
04-23-2010, 03:42 PM
best part of snuggie commercial " you can even wear them to sporting events!"

wtf who is going to wear that SH** in public

RadiantShot
04-23-2010, 03:44 PM
^ball,
I mean, fining someone $35,000 for a comment that wasn't even that rash, is a little over-the-top. Even fining someone $20,000 is still too much. It's getting a bit ridiculous. Next thing we know, it's "Make a comment about the ref, and you lose your job!"

Geargo Wallace
04-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Fight the Power! If the refs are ******** the bed we should have the right to complain. I don't understand how the refs can be so blatantly wrong sometimes.

RadiantShot
04-23-2010, 03:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kwhi1twVO0

:facepalm: x 9000

RadiantShot
04-23-2010, 03:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPPaztyf6eA&feature=related

:facepalm: once more.

Bruno
04-23-2010, 04:12 PM
Another fascist move by the dictator.

sep11ie
04-23-2010, 04:30 PM

Dwight should know the NBA doesn't allow LeBron to be blocked.

For real, Dwight and Yao are about the only 2 superstars that get called for ticky tack fouls all the time. i dont get it.

I hope I don't get fined for saying that.

RadiantShot
04-23-2010, 04:32 PM
:hide:

Avenged
04-23-2010, 04:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0n5MgLEE38

Because Radiant's doing it. ;)

DaBUU
04-23-2010, 04:35 PM
David Stern: No Soup for you!!

thawv
04-23-2010, 05:05 PM
I couldn't imagine a worse big 4 sport to watch than the NBA. But if boxing, harness racing, and the WWE can make it............why not the NBA.

Raph12
04-23-2010, 05:30 PM
They always ask questions about the officiating to everyone. The media knows how the coach feels about the game and how the game went. If a crucial call went the other way or there is a foul discrepancy they always ask about the officiating, and especially after a loss when the losers are emotional especially when they feel they were slighted of course they are going to make a comment about the officials.

If you all were playing a pick up game and it was tied 10 going to 11 and the other team misses a shot and calls a ticky tack foul and then comes back an makes a shot to win you'd be complaining too, and those games are worthless. So it's understandable if a coach or player wants to vent. I still think you need a penalty, but not suspensions unless you call a ref out by name.

Dude the question is always about the officiating against Dwight in general, not just one foul. We won the game and the calls did not affect the outcome of the game, although if Dwight stayed in, we would've blown em out by 20+ easy...

The media always asks about calls against Dwight because they know they were bs calls. Stern needs to open his eyes and call off his dogs, Dwight got 15 techs this season (league leading) and fouled out early in a lot of big games, not to mention has been in foul trouble both games so far in round 1. If the refs continue to officiate this way against Dwight, he'd better get used to playing 27mpg in the playoffs.

JNA17
04-23-2010, 06:28 PM

you as a magic fan loved this lol but as an nba fan, the video below is one of my top worst calls :pity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-igP_XG-kCo

JNA17
04-23-2010, 06:32 PM
For all the snuggie talk.....you guys will get a kick out of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h05ZQ7WHw8Y

I :laugh2: at the flashlight part

RadiantShot
04-23-2010, 08:07 PM
you as a magic fan loved this lol but as an nba fan, the video below is one of my top worst calls :pity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-igP_XG-kCo

Hahaha! xD. Fail by Dooling, lmao.

What about this, Not sure what you could really do in terms of punishment but.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeSzQbng4MU

Eh-Pick-Fail.

dukejazz
04-23-2010, 08:31 PM
good maybe nba players will keep there mouths shut now and not complain about every call. If you foul someone deal with it.

Raps08-09 Champ
04-23-2010, 08:56 PM
I kinda agree.

Just cuz something doesn't go your way, you blame it on the refs?

Granted, the refs do make mistakes, but doesn't mean you call them out on National TV like that.

ldc62
04-23-2010, 10:18 PM
The only reason I will disagree is because all suspensions will be too subjective. No way will he suspend a superstar....