PDA

View Full Version : Byron Scott lobbying for the Bulls coaching job

Swashcuff
04-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Funny how perception works. John Calipari managed to land Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans and John Wall as a recruiter, oversaw them for one year each before they went pro, and now he’s known as the college coach to mold NBA point guards. Now the best PG’s in high school are fighting amongst each other for the right to play for Coach Cal at Kentucky.

Meanwhile, Byron Scott made his NBA head coaching bones as the boss of Jason Kidd (New Jersey) during his prime and Chris Paul (New Orleans) during his rise to superstardom. But the perception isn’t that Scott — who played with Magic Johnson on the Lakers — molds great NBA point guards; it’s that Scott has to lean on great point guards to make himself look good.

Either way, Scott is setting himself up to work with another elite PG should he get another head coaching job. In a recent radio interview, Scott said he’d be interested in taking over the Chicago Bulls in the (likely) event that Vinny Del Negro is fired after this season. That would put Scott in charge of the development of Derrick Rose.

Before any of that, though, remember Del Negro hasn’t been fired and still has one more year left on his contract. But with reports that he got into an actual physical fight with Bulls VP John Paxson, plus widespread criticism of his ability on the bench and other public issues with team management, it would be a surprise if Del Negro survives the summer with his job.

“Chicago is a city I love,” Scott said on ESPN 1000 radio. “I spend time in Chicago during the summers, and coaching in the Eastern Conference, I’ve been in Chicago a bunch of times.

“I wouldn’t hang the phone up, let’s put it that way. And I do think Chicago is going to be one of the better jobs that’s available, if it’s available.”

http://dimemag.com/2010/04/byron-scott-already-angling-for-the-chicago-bulls-job/

I guess he's not waiting for them to come to him.

What do you guys think?

RocketsRule
04-22-2010, 06:31 PM
He'd be a good fit. You look what he did with Chris Paul, making him one of the best PG's in the NBA, and there's no reason why he couldn't do the same with Rose.

broncododger7
04-22-2010, 07:01 PM
I'm confused about why he would want to leave the job he has now. He's got a great young team and one of the newest greatest superstars in the league... Seems like a good place to coach to me.

GodsSon
04-22-2010, 07:10 PM
I'm confused about why he would want to leave the job he has now. He's got a great young team and one of the newest greatest superstars in the league... Seems like a good place to coach to me.

Bah?

Geargo Wallace
04-22-2010, 07:17 PM

HANNNNNNNNNNNH! (the sound the Ying Yang Twins make)

JasonJohnHorn
04-22-2010, 07:40 PM
The Bulls coachign job? For real? I didnt know it was vacant? I thought Del Negro really turned thigns around the second half of the season after a dismal start. If they had played as well the first half of the season as they did the second half, this team might actually have homecourt in the first round.

I wouldnt be too hard on Del Negro. He's just getting his legs as a coach, and making adjustments for the loss of Gordan (which i think was a bigger deal than some imagine), and working through the rotation, he's done a good job when you look at the entire season (though I wouldnt have blamed the Bulls for firing him in December). And with this stuff coming out about the Noah minute-limits, and how people came down on him for goign slightly over, then for not going slightly over... it just seems like his bosses are mircomanaging his job and that may be more the problem than Del Negro himself.

As for Scott, I think he's a great coach. He did a great job in Jersey, and a great job with the Hornets, but both times, after a couple years of progress and after watchign the wins dwindle in part due to roster changes, and in part due to injuries, Scott was the scape-goat and his message to the team/players seemed to lose its impact.

I think a team like the 76ers could use Scott to be honest, and i'd rather see him there than in Chi-town. I think he could do a lot of good there, and if they keep their roster intact (yes, I mean keep Dalembert and AI 2.0), pick up a decent point guard via the draft or free agency to split minutes with Williams (or even if Holiday develops a lot over his rookie year), this 76ers team, with a solid coach, could be back in contention. They have some young talent that is still devloping (Young, Holiday, Speights). They have a three poitn threat off the bench that can spread the floor (Kapono) a great shooting guard (AI 2.0) a center that cna rebound and defend (Dalembert) a power forward with a nice post game (Brand- and yes, he does have a good post game and it seemed to finally being showing up for the first time in Philly the second half of the season and Scott might be able to pull it out all the way) and guys like Young and Speights to bostler the front court.

If I was Scott I'd be calling up Philly. Chi-town has a solid roster, but depending on how free agency turns out for them, they may end up doing as they've done the last few seasons, taking one step forward and two steps back, making hte playoffs, and then losing some of their talent the following season.

OrderOfCook
04-22-2010, 08:26 PM
He's not lobbying for the job by saying that, he is saying that would be an amendable circumstance if they came to him. Those are two very different things. And I'm not blaming the OP, the article itself is drawing fantastical conclusions.

Secondly, Coach Cal should be known for being a racist jerk and breaking the rules to the detriment of the schools he is at for his own reputation.

Draco
04-22-2010, 08:26 PM
If I was Scott I'd be calling up Philly. Chi-town has a solid roster, but depending on how free agency turns out for them, they may end up doing as they've done the last few seasons, taking one step forward and two steps back, making hte playoffs, and then losing some of their talent the following season.

Their core players are under contract and the expirings they've worked to get free up roster spots that have to be filled one way or the other. Hitting the jackpot would be great but failing that how hard is it going to be to find temps who would replace Miller, Warrick , Murray, Pargo, etc. Maybe they re-sign some of those players to short term deals. Either way, I don't see the Bulls taking two steps back. When that happened they were transitioning from a Wallace/Deng/Gordon/Kirk core to one that's being built around Rose.

Swashcuff
04-22-2010, 08:32 PM

Could you please tell me what job this is?

Aussy4GM
04-22-2010, 09:52 PM
bahahahaha this kid doesnt know that the hornets got rid of byron scott! haha

IRUAM #21
04-22-2010, 09:56 PM
:laugh2:

ecorrea
04-22-2010, 10:11 PM
their core players are under contract and the expirings they've worked to get free up roster spots that have to be filled one way or the other. Hitting the jackpot would be great but failing that how hard is it going to be to find temps who would replace miller, warrick , murray, pargo, etc. Maybe they re-sign some of those players to short term deals. Either way, i don't see the bulls taking two steps back. When that happened they were transitioning from a wallace/deng/gordon/kirk core to one that's being built around rose.

+1

xbrackattackx
04-22-2010, 10:55 PM

:laugh2:

What a joke haha

He's like who's the hornets? Charlotte?

:facepalm:

clutchski
04-22-2010, 11:13 PM
It's not the Charlotte hornets anymore?

LakerFanatic#24
04-23-2010, 03:31 AM
It's not the Charlotte hornets anymore?

Ha next ur gonna tell me they got rid of muggsy and gran mama

ldc62
04-23-2010, 03:36 AM
He'd be a good fit. You look what he did with Chris Paul, making him one of the best PG's in the NBA, and there's no reason why he couldn't do the same with Rose.

Yup it was all coaching and nothing to do with natural talent... CP3 would be just as good today if he had some other coach coaching him.

D Roses Bulls
04-23-2010, 03:59 AM
scott in my opinion isnt a good head coach. he has been a coach of some talented teams. i know we can do better

abe_froman
04-23-2010, 04:01 AM
scott in my opinion isnt a good head coach. he has been a coach of some talented teams.
cant you say the exact same thing about every coach that has ever had even the smallest amount of success(or every coach to ever coach in the nba period)

D Roses Bulls
04-23-2010, 04:08 AM
cant you say the exact same thing about every coach that has ever had even the smallest amount of success(or every coach to ever coach in the nba period)

well wasnt scott fired from the nets when they under performed with a good team before? they had talent in orleans after they made a little run in the playoffs a couple of years ago and the next year with the exact team didnt do nothing. guys like skiles, they are good coaches cause they get the most out of their team. i dont like guys who are player friendly, we have had enough of those guys in chicago for our other sports teams.

abe_froman
04-23-2010, 04:16 AM
well wasnt scott fired from the nets when they under performed with a good team before? they had talent in orleans after they made a little run in the playoffs a couple of years ago and the next year with the exact team didnt do nothing. guys like skiles, they are good coaches cause they get the most out of their team. i dont like guys who are player friendly, we have had enough of those guys in chicago for our other sports teams.

i'm not saying scott should or shouldnt get the job,hell i'm not even saying he wasnt run out of places.just that the "he only won because he had good players" argument is one of the dumbest arguments in sports.

as for the hornets "under preforming" that argument would hold alot more weight if they were just as crappy after him as they were when he got canned.to prove your theory shouldnt there have to have been a massive upswing after he left at least?

also pretty much every coach gets fired at one time or another,hell every available coach is available for a reason

D Roses Bulls
04-23-2010, 04:22 AM
i'm not saying scott should or shouldnt get the job,hell i'm not even saying he wasnt run out of places.just that the "he only won because he had good players" argument is one of the dumbest arguments in sports.

as for the hornets "under preforming" that argument would hold alot more weight if they were just as crappy after him as they were when he got canned.to prove your theory shouldnt there have to have been a massive upswing after he left at least?

also pretty much every coach gets fired at one time or another,hell every available coach is available for a reason

i understand, but i dont agree with the statement i bolded cause jerry sloan had a couple awful years, phil jackson even had two years where he was booted early and lost two finals and wasnt fired. some good coaches likes skiles are fired because of jerk offs like ben wallace and gordon. if a coach is fired, its not because of the talent they have, but mostly for under performing, but the good coaches regardless stick around no matter how bad a team is cause the ownership realizes its not their fault. i understand what your saying man, dont get me wrong. scott is just too player friendly, i dont think i would want that in chicago AGAIN

abe_froman
04-23-2010, 04:25 AM
i understand, but i dont agree with the statement i bolded cause jerry sloan had a couple awful years, phil jackson even had two years where he was booted early and lost two finals and wasnt fired. some good coaches likes skiles are fired because of jerk offs like ben wallace and gordon. if a coach is fired, its not because of the talent they have, but mostly for under performing, but the good coaches regardless stick around no matter how bad a team is cause the ownership realizes its not their fault. i understand what your saying man, dont get me wrong. scott is just too player friendly, i dont think i would want that in chicago AGAIN

jerry sloan was fired from the bulls in 1982,and while phil wasnt exactly fired he did take a leave from coaching when kobe didnt want him around anymore...until kobe begged for him back.

anyways long tenured coaches are a rareity you named 2 of the only 3 to ever have any time of long time run with one franchise.so yes he will get fired after a few years,and the guy after him,and so on.so should this fact that coaches(outside of only 3)dont stay in one place long,scare you off from hiring anyone ever? who can you get,this magical unfireable person that defies the odds that only 3 people in the nba have achieved?

D Roses Bulls
04-23-2010, 04:28 AM
jerry sloan was fired from the bulls in 1982,and while phil wasnt exactly fired he did take a leave from coaching when kobe didnt want him around anymore...until kobe begged for him back.

i wasnt talkin bout from the bulls, i was talkin about utah. utah had a couple real bad seasons, but he was a good coach so he stuck around. damn i wish we had him with the bulls

JiffyMix88
04-23-2010, 05:01 AM

u got to take down ur sig its goaltending

TopsyTurvy
04-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Scott won't be the only coach lobbying for the job through the media.

xxcubs22xx
04-23-2010, 01:58 PM
I don't think VDN is going to get fired.

Swashcuff
04-23-2010, 07:48 PM

do you think he should?

D Roses Bulls
04-23-2010, 07:55 PM

oh he'll be fired. trust me, the paxson del negro fight was the last straw