PDA

View Full Version : Mavericks' Cuban: 'I hate the Spurs'

Swashcuff
04-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said Tuesday that his team's rivalry with the San Antonio Spurs is as acrimonious as ever.

"No, I mean I hate the Spurs. I have a hard time being civil to [Spurs owner] Peter Holt at the board of governors meetings and he has a hard time being civil to me even though we both like each other. It's what it represents," Cuban said one day prior to Game 2 of the heated first-round NBA playoff series between the Texas rivals. "We can both be 0-80 and if those last two games are Spurs-Mavs, it's going to be like a playoff game because we dislike each other that much."

The teams are locked in their third playoff series of the past five seasons and the fifth overall in the Tim Duncan-Dirk Nowitzki era.

The Spurs held the upper hand in the first two series in 2001 and 2003, but the Mavs won the past two, taking the 2006 second-round series en route to the franchise's only NBA Finals appearance. Dallas also won last season's first-round series, 4-1.

The Spurs, of course, can always taunt Cuban with their four NBA championships.

Cuban, who watched the Mavs practice Tuesday at American Airlines Center, went on to say that although hate persists between the two franchises, there is also healthy respect.

"Both teams play basketball the right way, both really have a lot of respect for the other side," Cuban said. "The beauty of the first game and every game we play them is every possession counts. There's not like, 'OK, we'll put in the second unit.'

"Well, I take that back -- unless Pop says he's going for the best record and then rests everybody. But beyond that, every possession just feels like it's a punch in a heavyweight title fight. This doesn't feel like the first round of the playoffs, I guess is what I'm saying."

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/news/story?id=5119275

Most hands on owner in all of sports goes at it again.

Iodine
04-22-2010, 05:42 PM
People can't have emotions in sports I mean isn't that what all those fines have taught us?

Anyway as a spurs fan bring it markie

ManRam
04-22-2010, 05:45 PM
I have no problem with him saying that. I'd hope he'd hate his biggest (one of) rivals in the league.

G-Funk
04-22-2010, 05:46 PM
He also said that he hates the Lakers. He hates winners

clutchski
04-22-2010, 05:57 PM
lol jokes

heathonater
04-22-2010, 06:03 PM
nothing wrong with that. the spurs and mavs have had a good rivalry over the years, and im sure the spurs owner would say the same thing.

PurpleJesus
04-22-2010, 06:04 PM
he loves money, saying he hates the spurs brings more viewers which brings more money

Toenail Clipper
04-22-2010, 06:08 PM
I hate Cuban

jackdawson
04-22-2010, 06:11 PM
He also said that he hates the Lakers. He hates winners

He also hates the Heat but I don't see anything wrong with that though. He does stupid stuff one in a while but he truly loves the game. I mean how many owners follow their teams like that? I like his passion.

Avenged
04-22-2010, 06:18 PM
Cuban :clap:

That's the kind of owner I'd like to have on my team. Someone passionate about the game and loyal. Good to see.

Geargo Wallace
04-22-2010, 06:19 PM
then don't watch.

fadedmario
04-22-2010, 06:28 PM
Mark Cuban rocks, He loves his team. What's wrong with that?

Ollie Tabooger
04-22-2010, 06:52 PM
i hate the spurs too :shrug:

xbrackattackx
04-22-2010, 06:59 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/news/story?id=5119275

I hate the Spurs..

Then Dont Watch

FaM0us Skins
04-22-2010, 07:04 PM
yeah I wish other owners in the NBA would be passionate for their team

tdunk21
04-22-2010, 07:20 PM
its insignificant..thats what timmy said when askd about this...no one has respect for cuban...last year in the playoffs he said something to kenyon martin;s mom...he is an attention whore...so no one really cares what he thinks...

JasonJohnHorn
04-22-2010, 07:53 PM
I think when he says "hates", he means "I wish I had bought them instead of the Mavs". No?

Doesnt he pull this $#!T every year? I mean seriously? Last year with the Keyon Martin thing? And his team has some of the biggest bullies in the league (I mean look at Dampier in the 08 series against the Hornest, shoving CP3 to the ground after he makes a fast break layup- which he didnt even get called for a Tech or a Flag on- and then he pulls the same $#!T on Tony Parker last year -again with no Tech or Flag- I'd like to see him try that on Dwight Howard or Shaq instead of the 6 foot point guards and see what happens).

I used to like Cuban because he seemed to have a passion for the game, and a sincere love for his team and a desire to do well, not just make money. But over the years he has come across as more of an egomaniac who just wants to be the center of attention and has tunnel vision and thinks the rest of the world is out to get him. He replays quesitonable calls on the jumbo screen at home when they dont go his way, but doesnt do the same when the call goes in his favour, the complains about the refs (sometimes with just cause, but most times now because he is a sore loser).

Bottom line is the Mavs arent winning a title with Dirk as the number one option. If they were, it would have happened by now. If he were the number two guy (like Gasol on the Lakers) and had a Kobe or Wade or Durant or James playing alongside him, then he could pull it off, but Cuban isnt getting any of those players anytime soon (if at all) and Dirk's window is closing.

The Mavs could still pull this series out and likely will, but they wont be in the NBA finals and they wont be rasing a banner at the end of the season or handing out rings at the first home game of the 10/11 seasons. Like the Webber-led Kings, they had enough to win it at one point and missed the chance, and now there need to be some major changes to really put this team in serious contention.

ElMarroAfamado
04-22-2010, 10:38 PM
who doesnt hate the spurs

xbrackattackx
04-22-2010, 10:51 PM
I think when he says "hates", he means "I wish I had bought them instead of the Mavs". No?

Doesnt he pull this $#!T every year? I mean seriously? Last year with the Keyon Martin thing? And his team has some of the biggest bullies in the league (I mean look at Dampier in the 08 series against the Hornest, shoving CP3 to the ground after he makes a fast break layup- which he didnt even get called for a Tech or a Flag on- and then he pulls the same $#!T on Tony Parker last year -again with no Tech or Flag- I'd like to see him try that on Dwight Howard or Shaq instead of the 6 foot point guards and see what happens).

I used to like Cuban because he seemed to have a passion for the game, and a sincere love for his team and a desire to do well, not just make money. But over the years he has come across as more of an egomaniac who just wants to be the center of attention and has tunnel vision and thinks the rest of the world is out to get him. He replays quesitonable calls on the jumbo screen at home when they dont go his way, but doesnt do the same when the call goes in his favour, the complains about the refs (sometimes with just cause, but most times now because he is a sore loser).

Bottom line is the Mavs arent winning a title with Dirk as the number one option. If they were, it would have happened by now. If he were the number two guy (like Gasol on the Lakers) and had a Kobe or Wade or Durant or James playing alongside him, then he could pull it off, but Cuban isnt getting any of those players anytime soon (if at all) and Dirk's window is closing.

The Mavs could still pull this series out and likely will, but they wont be in the NBA finals and they wont be rasing a banner at the end of the season or handing out rings at the first home game of the 10/11 seasons. Like the Webber-led Kings, they had enough to win it at one point and missed the chance, and now there need to be some major changes to really put this team in serious contention.

I see.

iFYouSeekAmy
04-22-2010, 11:34 PM
He's just a fan of sports.

Let those be cocky and hate on those who...
I'm lost.

OC Knights #11
04-23-2010, 12:46 AM
Why does he hate them? Is it because the Spurs have beaten the Mavs a couple times on the way to winning 4 championships in the last 11 years? How many do the Mavs have? Listen, i don't really like the Spurs either but, until Cuban's Mavericks win a championship they won't gain my respect. Yes, i am over reacting and do not what i am talking about.

IversonIsKrazy
04-23-2010, 01:11 AM
Cuban is the best owner, hands down. Who wouldn't h8 that, u play your *** off in the season, get 2nd seed, exceed expectations, while the opponent your going to play in the first-round, is team that consisted their season of resting their players to make a huge roar in playoffs, and o yea, they've won 4 championships in 8 years, o yea, and they have this guy called Tim Duncan.
lol

GSW Hoops
04-23-2010, 01:39 AM
I only hate teams when they're against my team.

Hawkize31
04-23-2010, 02:19 AM
I envy Cuban so much. A super-fan who got himself to the position of owner, but still a fan first and foremost. I love it. If I were Cubs owner I'd say stuff like that all the time.

Sadds The Gr8
04-23-2010, 02:42 AM
then don't watch.

ryder78c
04-23-2010, 02:56 AM
I envy Cuban so much. A super-fan who got himself to the position of owner, but still a fan first and foremost. I love it. If I were Cubs owner I'd say stuff like that all the time.

If I was The Cubs Owner I would sign some legit top players then sign Henry Rowengartner to a extension lol

D Roses Bulls
04-23-2010, 03:56 AM
me too

JayW_1023
04-23-2010, 05:38 AM
Cubans bark is bigger than his bite. His unclassy clash with Kenyon Martin last season proved as much. The look on his face at the end of Game 2 was worth it, though.

I like the Mavs as a team and I really don't mind any player but I'm not exactly a fan of Mark Cuban.

Ray_R
04-23-2010, 07:53 AM
He passoniate about his team nothing wrong with that. I wanted him to buy the cubs becuase the passoniate he is.

JayW_1023
04-23-2010, 09:05 AM
He passoniate about his team nothing wrong with that. I wanted him to buy the cubs becuase the passoniate he is.

Oh i like the fact that he is involved and passionate as owner of the Mavs. But that ain't no excuse to chronically behave like a douche either.

RadiantShot
04-23-2010, 09:23 AM
Just be quiet Mark Cuban. Nobody likes you.

avrpatsfan
04-23-2010, 09:52 AM
Who gives a ****?

ShockerArt
04-23-2010, 10:23 AM
Just be quiet Mark Cuban. Nobody likes you.

Don't listen to him, Mark. I like you and I also hate the Spurs.

dukejazz
04-23-2010, 11:28 AM
YA so its fine for mark cuban to say that? So when players punch other nba players then its fine because then maybe they are just really passionate about there team? I dont think so.

td0tsfinest
04-23-2010, 11:38 AM
It's part of being a fan.

Both teams are part of that Texas Triangle, so it seems right that fans from either one of those teams don't like one another. Like how I hate the Senators.

Mr.ATLHawks
04-23-2010, 11:45 AM
Nothing Worng with this but Cuban does run his mouth a little too much. Sometimes a sports team owner can be a little too intrusive when it comes to their clubs (see Jerry Jones, Al Davis) Its like your Daddy telling you one thing then Momma comes around and tells you something different. Let the coaches coach, let the player play. Let them talk **** to each other and stay out of it. Dallas appears to have recovered from some god awful trades...Kidd for Devin Harris, signing Erick Dampier like he is Shaq. Dallas Mavericks = Washington Redskins of the NBA minus the chammpionships...too much roster swapping and not enough continuity....

tdunk21
04-23-2010, 11:56 AM
Nothing Worng with this but Cuban does run his mouth a little too much. Sometimes a sports team owner can be a little too intrusive when it comes to their clubs (see Jerry Jones, Al Davis) Its like your Daddy telling you one thing then Momma comes around and tells you something different. Let the coaches coach, let the player play. Let them talk **** to each other and stay out of it. Dallas appears to have recovered from some god awful trades...Kidd for Devin Harris, signing Erick Dampier like he is Shaq. Dallas Mavericks = Washington Redskins of the NBA minus the chammpionships...too much roster swapping and not enough continuity....
:laugh: