PDA

View Full Version : Josh Smith is the Closest Thing to LeBron

Swashcuff
04-22-2010, 02:18 PM
According to the Hawks owner

ATLANTA -- No need to move over, LeBron. You'll still be the marquee attraction during these NBA playoffs.

But let us introduce the world to LeBron South. You might not know much about him since the Hawks play in the NBA outpost of Atlanta. Even though they're located just down the road from the Turner studios, they rarely get on TNT during the regular season.

On Tuesday night, their Game 2 of an East first-round series was relegated to NBA TV. That network also is based in Atlanta, but you get the point.

For those who missed it, it was a scintillating show by Hawks forward Josh Smith. He had a near triple-double with 21 points, 14 rebounds and nine assists in the 96-86 win over Milwaukee for a 2-0 series lead.

"He's the closest thing to LeBron in the league,'' Hawks owner Michael Gearon Jr. said in an interview after the game with FanHouse. "I'm not saying he's LeBron. But just look, he gets assists, he rebounds, he blocks shots. He's a game changer. ... Just look at his stats.''

While Gearon calls Cleveland's King James "the best I've ever seen,'' he doesn't know of another player in the NBA who fills up the box score like Smith. He had regular-season averages of 15.7 points, 8.7 rebounds, 4.2 assists, 2.1 blocks and 1.6 assists and Tuesday finished second in the voting for NBA Defensive Player of the Year behind Orlando's Dwight Howard.

Smith had finished his interviews for the night and was greeting friends in a Philips Arena hallway. But when he was told the owner had just called him the NBA's "closest thing to LeBron,'' how could he not pause for a moment?

"It feels good, especially coming from the owner,'' Smith said. "To be noticed like a guy that's a future Hall of Famer, and I thought already was one before he got in the league, is special.''

But does Smith agree with Gearon's statement?

"I'll let everybody make their own comments,'' he said. "I don't give myself comparisons to a person. I just go out and play and I'll let people take it from there.''

For those who don't get NBA TV, highlights of Smith's play Tuesday will show up on plenty of other networks. Game 4 on Saturday in Milwaukee will be on ESPN.

The series opener featured a solid all-around performance by Smith, with 12 points, 10 rebounds, four assists and four blocks. But Tuesday he was mesmerizing.

Smith threw down a bevy of dunks to ignite the sellout crowd of 18,938, He played solid defense, and the Hawks' stat crew must have been snoozing with the claim he had just two blocks. He also didn't get any credit in the box score for altering several Milwaukee attempts as the visitors shot just 41.1 percent.

"He's one of those players that can control the game. ... You've always got to worry about him when taking the ball to the basket."
- John Salmons "He's one of those players that can control the game,'' said Bucks guard John Salmons. "His athleticism is as good as anybody's in the league. You've always got to worry about him when taking the ball to the basket. He's a good rebounder, catches some lobs, he's running the floor, gets offensive rebounds, does a lot of dirty work.''

Salmons was speaking as if he's Smith's agent rather than his foe. But, just in case Smith's representation is taking note of the owner calling him the NBA's "closest thing to LeBron,'' he's not a free agent until 2013.

Before Smith signed a five-year, $58 million offer sheet with Memphis that was matched by the Hawks in August 2008, there were reports of friction between Smith and Atlanta coach Mike Woodson, who becomes a free agent himself after the season. But those days seem long gone, and sources told FanHouse on Tuesday it should be a mere formality that Woodson receives an offer from the Hawks for a new contract after the playoffs are over.

As for Smith being the most pivotal player on the Hawks, that's apparently nothing new. Gearon remembers talking with players in December 2007, four months before Atlanta would make its first playoff appearance in nine years and take eventual champion Boston to seven games in the first round.

"It was the only time in my lifetime I've ever sat down with players alone and just sort of talked about stuff, and everyone back then was like, 'Josh is the key (to the team),' " Gearon said of Smith, a six-year veteran who is 24 but was just 21 entering the month those comments were made. "Even then, people were like, 'He's the key.' He does different things. The intensity rises for the whole team. It was interesting to hear that even back then.''

Gearon said he doesn't mean to take anything away from Hawks All-Star guard Joe Johnson, who had a game-high 27 points against Milwaukee and averaged a team-high 21.3 points during the regular season. And one presumes he also doesn't mean to take anything away from Atlanta's other All-Star from last February, center Al Horford, when Gearon says Smith "deserved to be on the All-Star team as much as anybody on our team.''

There's no disagreement from Horford.

"When Josh plays like that, we're at our best'' Horford said after Tuesday's game. "We're going to go as far (in the playoffs) as Josh Smith takes us.''

That comment about a teammate sounds downright Lebronesque. And, while we're at it, let's bring up another comparison between the two.

Both are hometown heroes. James is from Akron, Ohio, just down the road from Cleveland. And Smith is from the Atlanta suburb of College Park, Ga.

"I just try to bring as much energy as possible,'' Smith said when told of Horford calling him the key to the team. "I don't want to put any added pressure on. I'm already playing at home, being from here, and I get a lot of criticism from my family and everybody else. So I don't try to put any added pressure on me. I just go out and play as hard possible.''

This, though, is when any comparisons to James might have to stop. One doesn't think those in the King's court have too much critical to say about him.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/04/21/hawks-owner-calls-josh-smith-closest-thing-to-lebron/

What do you guys think? Josh has really improved this season and I could certainly see some comparisons.

b_rad23
04-22-2010, 02:27 PM
Except that Lebron's worst season>>>>>Smith's best and Smith has nowhere near the talent and not as much athleticism either.

blams
04-22-2010, 02:31 PM
:laugh:

GrumpyOldMan
04-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Smith is a good player, but he's nowhere near Lebron in my opinion. Scoring low double figures shouldn't get you unfair comparisons to the best player in the world right now.

Ssshbliblibl00p
04-22-2010, 02:34 PM
He's Lebron without the supreme basketball IQ...polar opposites.

Close this.

NYKnickFanatic
04-22-2010, 02:34 PM
Cant shoot. LeBron isnt a great shooter, but Smith cant compare to him there.

DerekRE_3
04-22-2010, 02:36 PM
I guess physically he is comparable with Lebron, but it stops there.

Jonathan2323
04-22-2010, 02:36 PM
yeah at blocking shots.

tredigs
04-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Smith's one of the most improved players in the game, probably third behind Durant and Bogut imo, and he is an absolute monster. He doesn't have an outside game and obviously has nowhere near the vision/passing ability of 'Bron, but his defense is damn good (though I recall a game where he took his turn trying to guard 'Bron and was completely overpowered) and he's an efficient low post scorer. Athletic as all hell, too. The guy can smash.

"Closest thing to Lebron". I don't even know what he means by that. As far as an all around skill set from a 6'8/6'9 guy, then I guess? Their games really aren't similar at all. But he has indeed become a beast.

Chronz
04-22-2010, 02:43 PM
Yea Smith has a disgusting skill set, hes not a sound shooter so it sounds off to say that about him but its true. There are only 2 players in the league with minimums of a 2.0 Stl%, 2.0 Blk%, 13.0, Ast%, 10.0 Reb%. From an activity standpoint those 2 are involved in alot of plays.

G-Funk
04-22-2010, 02:45 PM
He's definitely a better dunker.

Avenged
04-22-2010, 02:48 PM
I love Josh Smith's game but let's not start overrating him.

Chronz
04-22-2010, 02:56 PM
I love Josh Smith's game but let's not start overrating him.

Hes not rating him hes talking stylistically, put it this way lets pretend Bron is the best player in the game and say that Dwight is the 2nd best player in the game, would you say that Dwight is the closest player to Bron? What 2 players are more similar in style, playing type and all around play. Bron and Wade or Dwight and Bron?

RadiantShot
04-22-2010, 02:58 PM
I thought you were joking when I clicked on this thread.

:facepalm:

Josh Smith doesn't even compare to Melo or Durant, much less Lebron.

Cali4rnia
04-22-2010, 03:00 PM
i can understand comparing melo to labron not josh smith. Melo has better shot but labron is more physical.

td0tsfinest
04-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Well, Josh Smith does have the leaping ability and is even a better weak-side defender but obviously Lebron has a better skill set than Josh Smith in every other aspect. IQ and Court Vision is probably the biggest difference.

Lebron's intangibles is what makes him a great player. If Josh Smith were to develop those skills, he could be a potent player.

Sadds The Gr8
04-22-2010, 03:01 PM
I thought you were joking when I clicked on this thread.

:facepalm:

Josh Smith doesn't even compare to Melo or Durant, much less Lebron.

he's not saying that Josh Smith is as good as Lebron, or almost at Lebron's level. He's just saying that if there's anyone else in the league that is similar to Lebron's playing style, it's Josh Smith. Even though I don't fully agree.

The only thing they have in common is highlight reel dunks, and backboard pinning blocks...Josh Smith is also a good passer as well, like Lebron.

RadiantShot
04-22-2010, 03:03 PM
he's not saying that Josh Smith is as good as Lebron, or almost at Lebron's level. He's just saying that if there's anyone else in the league that is similar to Lebron's playing style, it's Josh Smith. Even though I disagree...

The only thing they have in common is highlight reel dunks, and backboard pinning blocks.

Oh. I still disagree anyway. Josh doesn't play like Lebron. He has some athleticism equivalent to Lebron's, but not play-style. If I had to choose some players with play-styles like Lebron, I'd say a Gerald Wallace type player, Luol Deng, Vince Carter (Prime), etc. Of course they're not exactly like him, but they remind me of Lebron some.

IRUAM #21
04-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Fail

topdog
04-22-2010, 03:17 PM
I think it's a disservice to Josh Smith. Josh Smith is Josh Smith and if I was the owner I'd be hyping that. I might even rather have Smith on my team because he racks up all those stats being a sidekick rather than the main event and, admittedly, I'm not a Lebron fan.

still1ballin
04-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Fail

then don't watch

Swashcuff
04-22-2010, 03:19 PM
I think it's a disservice to Josh Smith. Josh Smith is Josh Smith and if I was the owner I'd be hyping that. I might even rather have Smith on my team because he racks up all those stats being a sidekick rather than the main event and, admittedly, I'm not a Lebron fan.

You were going good until there :confused:

ElMarroAfamado
04-22-2010, 03:22 PM
hes a better defender than lebron james
hes a better DUNKER
the only thing that is different is probably lebron james is a better "layuper" haha
and he is less horrible at shooting

haha typo i meant DUNKER not scorer...

RadiantShot
04-22-2010, 03:24 PM
...He's a...Better...Scorer? Uh-huh...? :facepalm:

topdog
04-22-2010, 03:24 PM
You were going good until there :confused:

lol :p

I know Lebron is talented like a mofo and he gets calls so major pluses there but I'm a fan of more 5 man unit type teams like the Pistons before they got big heads. Oh yeah and I'd like my star player to be able to shoot lol - he's working on it.

thescore53
04-22-2010, 03:40 PM
josh smith is lebron minus the handles,play making and little lses athleticism

Swashcuff
04-22-2010, 03:41 PM
lol :p

I know Lebron is talented like a mofo and he gets calls so major pluses there but I'm a fan of more 5 man unit type teams like the Pistons before they got big heads. Oh yeah and I'd like my star player to be able to shoot lol - he's working on it.

I hear you on that. Thats your opinion and thats fine

thescore53
04-22-2010, 03:41 PM
than dont watch

BoratSagdiyev
04-22-2010, 03:52 PM
i can understand comparing melo to labron not josh smith. Melo has better shot but labron is more physical.

Yes!

Iodine
04-22-2010, 03:53 PM

:facepalm::facepalm:, 1 for each time you spelled lebron wrong

and chronz killed this thread

dtmagnet
04-22-2010, 04:05 PM
I always thought Iguodala was the poor man's Lebron.

Switch
04-22-2010, 04:08 PM
In terms of athleticism, then I agree.

DaBUU
04-22-2010, 04:09 PM
thats silly talk

ugafan
04-22-2010, 04:14 PM
I'm a Hawks fan and I can see why this was said, but this is just stupid. Just Smith is more athletic than LeBron, but that's it. I'd rather staple my scrotum to a 4x4 than watch him shoot a J.

sep11ie
04-22-2010, 04:18 PM
^that just sounds like fun!

Geargo Wallace
04-22-2010, 04:20 PM
LeBron to Smith: "Anything you can do, I can do better. Then Don't watch!"

thescore53
04-22-2010, 04:30 PM
I'm a Hawks fan and I can see why this was said, but this is just stupid. Just Smith is more athletic than LeBron, but that's it. I'd rather staple my scrotum to a 4x4 than watch him shoot a J.

:facepalm::facepalm: dont ever say that, lebron is the most athletic beast in sports,

ryder78c
04-22-2010, 04:43 PM
dunking wise josh smith is better just because we havent seen lebrons dunking skill completely.....blocking they compare to each other.....Josh smith poor mans lebron

jackdawson
04-22-2010, 04:48 PM
on drug??

Slimsim
04-22-2010, 04:56 PM
Maybe it's the headband.

Geargo Wallace
04-22-2010, 05:11 PM
Maybe it's the headband.

soaked in acid?

ldc62
04-22-2010, 05:58 PM
Josh Smith is a better dunker and shot blocker

heathonater
04-22-2010, 06:00 PM
josh smith definitely has the athleticism, but comparing him to lebron is foolish. josh smith rebounds and blocks shots well, but lebron does everything at an elite level, aside from shooting 3's. still think lebron should not shoot as many 3's, and he should rely on his mid range and driving ability to score.

Swashcuff
04-22-2010, 11:57 PM
josh smith definitely has the athleticism, but comparing him to lebron is foolish. josh smith rebounds and blocks shots well, but lebron does everything at an elite level, aside from shooting 3's. still think lebron should not shoot as many 3's, and he should rely on his mid range and driving ability to score.

IF he actually develops his 3 point shot I and doesn't get crazy on it I think he'd really be able to win the scoring title every year.

iFYouSeekAmy
04-23-2010, 12:01 AM
Josh Smith can't shoot for his life..

If he can, then it's controversial.
Until now, it's bizarre.

MacFitz92
04-23-2010, 12:08 AM
Except that Lebron's worst season>>>>>Smith's best and Smith has nowhere near the talent and not as much athleticism either.

You are wrong. Athleticly speaking, they are comparable, but 'Brons shooting and IQ puts him way over Josh.

xbrackattackx
04-23-2010, 12:11 AM
You are wrong. Athleticly speaking, they are comparable, but 'Brons shooting and IQ puts him way over Josh.

this is the gospel.

THE MTL
04-23-2010, 12:59 AM
While the argument can be made, I just dont think you can say Josh Smith is the closest thing to Lebron James. It just looks insulting to Lebron James. I really dont know who but there has to be another closer to Lebron James than Josh smith.

Swashcuff
04-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Who do you guys think is better on D then LeBron or Josh?

LeBroom
04-23-2010, 12:05 PM
"He's the closest thing to LeBron in the league,'' Hawks owner Michael Gearon Jr. said in an interview after the game with FanHouse. "I'm not saying he's LeBron. But just look, he gets assists, he rebounds, he blocks shots. He's a game changer. ... Just look at his stats.''

This line says it all. Hawks Owner knows nothing about the NBA. Wow "LOOK AT JOSH's STATS" and he's the closest thing to Lebron? Please. I like Josh's game, but... Sorry, NO.

R_O_W_E
04-23-2010, 12:36 PM

Josh Smith before gaining all of the muscle was one of the most athletic players in NBA History. He was more athletic than LeBron.

J-Relo
04-23-2010, 01:32 PM
While the argument can be made, I just dont think you can say Josh Smith is the closest thing to Lebron James. It just looks insulting to Lebron James. I really dont know who but there has to be another closer to Lebron James than Josh smith.

Lebron is on a way higher level, but i see where does this comparison come from ...

both are strong, athletic... all those blocks, powerful slams...

BullySixChicago
04-23-2010, 11:02 PM
According to the Hawks owner

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/04/21/hawks-owner-calls-josh-smith-closest-thing-to-lebron/

What do you guys think? Josh has really improved this season and I could certainly see some comparisons.lol do you have on your glasses or not? Their is no comparison at all Josh Smith compared to Bron please? What dunking the ball hard they compare in that way but anything else is a homer's belief.

GunFactor187
04-23-2010, 11:04 PM
Josh Smith + Andre Iguodala = LeBron James

*Silver&Black*
04-23-2010, 11:13 PM
Who do you guys think is better on D then LeBron or Josh?

Not being a homer, but Josh. Better weak side defender and straight up blocker. LeBron sneaks up out of nowhere for his blocks and while they are nice, no need for Sportcenter to show them over and over when Josh has better blocks IMO.

I can see the comparison in terms of what they do, but LeBron has the ball 100% of plays while Josh is made 3rd-4th option on the Hawks. LeBron is a way better shooter, but people don't take in account how much time the ball is spent in these so called "Superstar" hands compared to a Josh Smith. I believe he can average a triple-double if Smith has the ball as much as LeBron. Not saying he will average 30 points, but 25/10/10 I can see.

MrFastBreak
04-24-2010, 11:49 AM
He meant there are few players to have that type of balance in their #'s, and so Smith is closer to Bron than any other player as far as all around play. He never said he was behind Bron as the 2nd best player. To think someone would say something like that is naive on your part.

BBALLGOD4
04-26-2010, 10:45 AM
Oh. I still disagree anyway. Josh doesn't play like Lebron. He has some athleticism equivalent to Lebron's, but not play-style. If I had to choose some players with play-styles like Lebron, I'd say a Gerald Wallace type player, Luol Deng, Vince Carter (Prime), etc. Of course they're not exactly like him, but they remind me of Lebron some.

None of those guys are anything like Lebron:laugh2: The closest in style to Lebron but not even in the same universe is Andre igoudala. JOsh Smith and Bron dont really play anything alike other than them having freaking hops and filling the stat sheet.

GrumpyOldMan
04-26-2010, 10:50 AM
I thought the post said Joe Smith for a minute.
Really though, nobody can compare to Lebron right now. It really isn't fair to compare someone like that, but I will anyway. Dwayne Wade is the closest to being a complete game changing all around player as anyone this side of Lebron.