PDA

View Full Version : Rudy Fernandez "I am not Brandon Roy"

Swashcuff
04-22-2010, 12:21 AM
Rudy Fernandez has spent much of his two seasons in Portland making veiled pleas for more playing time and a bigger role with the Trail Blazers.

Now that he is getting his chance in the NBA playoffs as the starting guard in place of Brandon Roy, Fernandez has yet to show up.

Not only is Fernandez missing shots -- he's 2 for 9 from the field and 1 for 7 from three-point range in the first two games against Phoenix -- he doesn't even appear to be looking for his shot.

His passive approach has rewarded the Suns decision to shift Steve Nash, a poor defender, off of Andre Miller and onto Fernandez. With Fernandez in the game, Nash has received a virtual free pass on defense. Only when Jerryd Bayless has been in the game has Nash had to defend.

So what's going on with Fernandez?

Who knows?

Fernandez has been both short and sharp with the media. When a question regarding the playoffs being his chance to show what he can do now that he is replacing Brandon Roy, Fernandez cut off the question.

"I am not Brandon Roy. I am Rudy Fernandez," he said sharply after Wednesday's practice.

What little he does say is confusing.

"I do not need 10 shots or 2 shots. Play free is what I can play, and I think my role is to open the space," he said. "For me, it's not important whether I'm a starter or not a starter. It's the ball. It's shots," Fernandez said.

Fernandez took only two shots in Game 2 -- missing both-- and when told his lack of shots was exactly the point of the questioning, he walked away.

"You took only two shots," Fernandez was told as he walked away. "Why?"

"I don't know," Fernandez said, smirking over his shoulder while throwing his hands in the air. "I don't know."

Coach Nate McMillan said he will remain with Fernandez as his starting shooting guard for tonight's Game 3 at the Rose Garden. Although McMillan was peppered with a variety of questions about how ineffective Fernandez has been, the coach refused to single out the 6-foot-6 shooter.

However, he did say that he would like to see Fernandez shoot more than twice in Game 3, and that the coaching staff has encouraged him to be aggressive.

"When he get the shot, he has to take it," McMillan said. "Just being aggressive, that's what we are telling him, telling all of our guys. And it wasn't just Rudy last night. We didn't play well as a team."

McMillan said Fernandez and the rest of the Blazers have to do a better job of setting, and using screens. More directly, McMillan said there needs to be more effort.

"It's two areas: setting screens and those guys working harder to get the ball," McMillan said.

Fernandez, who is averaging 5.0 points, 3.0 rebounds and 2.0 assists in 28 minutes in the first two games, says he believes he is helping the team.

"I open the space for my teammates, and the spacing has been good," Fernandez said. "That's my role -- and to help teammates when I have the ball in my hands. And when I have an opportunity for a shot, shoot.

"I think the first game I was a good defender, good defense against Richardson," Fernandez said. " The last game ... I don't like my play in the second game."

No joke Rudy.

In related news just Roy practiced just two days after his surgery. :confused:

Shady66
04-22-2010, 12:25 AM
Hes really struggled this year. In the playoffs so far, he really hasnt done anything. I kind of feel bad for him, hopefully he gets back into the swing of things. (next year, after the suns beat them in round 1 :) )

billy17
04-22-2010, 12:40 AM
I think hes just struggling and hes tired of the questions..

Send him to the Kings!

still1ballin
04-22-2010, 12:43 AM
Hes really struggled this year. In the playoffs so far, he really hasnt done anything. I kind of feel bad for him, hopefully he gets back into the swing of things. (next year, after the suns beat them in round 1 :) )

then don't watch

Shady66
04-22-2010, 01:01 AM
then don't watch

but its my team...

Kyben36
04-22-2010, 01:22 AM
sounds like he isnt happy with Porltand anymore. he will be traded or head back to spain.

ldc62
04-22-2010, 02:45 AM
trade him to the Raptors. He could fit in with everyone there...

JNA17
04-22-2010, 02:50 AM
then don't watch

AccUrSeD
04-22-2010, 03:50 AM
...yeah as much as I LOVE rudy, I don't see him staying in Portland.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-22-2010, 03:52 AM
then don't watch

ElFuturoDeESPN
04-22-2010, 04:20 AM
He wants to go back to Spain asap. Whatever, I've always seen him as a primadonna that would never hit his ceiling and play that way consistently. It's been a fun three years but have back home Rudy.

AI4MVP
04-22-2010, 04:40 AM
hes actually a very very good player. i hope he stays. id take him on the suns.

ragee
04-22-2010, 05:13 AM
hes actually a very very good player. i hope he stays. id take him on the suns.

The Suns gave him away to the Blazers...

AI4MVP
04-22-2010, 05:32 AM
The Suns gave him away to the Blazers...

i know...thanks

Bulls_fan90
04-22-2010, 06:18 AM
then don't watch

gay

I know....

magichatnumber9
04-22-2010, 06:38 AM
vote me

tmacsc2
04-22-2010, 06:56 AM
**** rudy....he is garbage!

flea
04-22-2010, 07:21 AM
He just isn't very good. He's fine off the bench when you wait for the 1 out of every 7 games when he's hot and making shots. Other than that, he's pretty useless.

KnicksorBust
04-22-2010, 07:45 AM
Blazers should have packaged all their young prospects to land another superstar.

Ssshbliblibl00p
04-22-2010, 07:49 AM
No joke Rudy.

In related news just Roy practiced just two days after his surgery. :confused:

We know Rudy, you're just another one dimensional European. Got it thanx.

IRUAM #21
04-22-2010, 08:04 AM
O rly ?

SirCalvin81
04-22-2010, 08:42 AM
no **** your not brandon roy

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-22-2010, 08:58 AM
gay

gay

gay

post man-whore

thescore53
04-22-2010, 09:05 AM
post man-whore

gay

NYKnickFanatic
04-22-2010, 09:17 AM
Id take him on the Knicks.

Hellcrooner
04-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Time to trade him is obvious he is going nowher behind roy and with mcmillan.

How can he do jack if

1 he has aken 9 shots in two games

2 he is not alowed to tdo what he is best at wich is handlng the bal, passing getting inside to search for the dunk etc etc while mcmillan is using him as a spot up 3 pt shooter.

td0tsfinest
04-22-2010, 11:03 AM
"I do not need 10 shots or 2 shots. Play free is what I can play, and I think my role is to open the space," he said. "For me, it's not important whether I'm a starter or not a starter. It's the ball. It's shots,"

I don't understand what he's saying here. :confused:

mikantsass
04-22-2010, 11:08 AM
We know Rudy, you're just another one dimensional European. Got it thanx.

Yes sir, when will teams realize that Euro's just arent that good. Stop taking them in the 1st round!!!!! (yes i'm talking to you Toronto Raptors organization)

KnicksorBust
04-22-2010, 11:13 AM
Fernandez would be easy to trade but his value is down. I love the Blazers but I really think they should trade Aldridge and some of their young guys for an elite bigman.

sep11ie
04-22-2010, 11:27 AM
then don't watch

That needed to be repeated 37 times and all.

Hellcrooner
04-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Yes sir, when will teams realize that Euro's just arent that good. Stop taking them in the 1st round!!!!! (yes i'm talking to you Toronto Raptors organization)

Parker,Rudy,Batgnani, DIrk, Pau with Calderon, Pavlovic,Peja,Turiaff,Marc from the bench.

That CAN win you a TITLE:

Hellcrooner
04-22-2010, 12:00 PM

he is saying the problem is not shot but how he is being used wich does not fit AT AlL his strenghts.

Geargo Wallace
04-22-2010, 12:13 PM

Then don't watch.

IRUAM #21
04-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Gay

mikantsass
04-22-2010, 12:31 PM
Parker,Rudy,Batgnani, DIrk, Pau with Calderon, Pavlovic,Peja,Turiaff,Marc from the bench.

That CAN win you a TITLE:

Ehh thats a good team, but this years Cavs, Lakers, Nuggets, Celtics, Magic (trying to think of real teams with limited or no Euro's) would def win a 7 game series.....

Plus if we are assembling all-star teams a team of Paul, Bryant, Melo, James, Howard with a bench of DWill, Wade, Roy, Durant, Bosh, Amare would absolutely destroy your squad

thescore53
04-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Ehh thats a good team, but this years Cavs, Lakers, Nuggets, Celtics, Magic (trying to think of real teams with limited or no Euro's) would def win a 7 game series.....

Plus if we are assembling all-star teams a team of Paul, Bryant, Melo, James, Howard with a bench of DWill, Wade, Roy, Durant, Bosh, Amare would absolutely destroy your squad

gay

dougie5627
04-22-2010, 12:45 PM

how ignorant and ******** are you, you take the best player no matter where you are from now get your head out of your *** cus thats the biggest pile of **** i have read in a long time. if you are so ****ing great on player scouting and talent evaluation and know more than the nba scouts why arent you working for them......

Swashcuff
04-22-2010, 02:20 PM
The fact is Crooner said it right. The way they are you Rudy is totally wrong. He’s not a spot up 3 point shooter if anything he’s more of a slasher and a guy who makes plays for himself. If he’s placed on a team where he can really be utilized he could really show his true worth.

Hellcrooner
04-22-2010, 02:26 PM
its a pity It would never happen becaus the teams ar "rivals" but a trade of Sahsa for Rudy would work grat for both teams.

Portlands get the REAL 3p spot up shooter Mcmillan wants Rudy to be

Lakers get a solid back up for Kobe who can also end up playing starting pg since Phil like to use SG that can pass and driv and shoot trhess from th pg position ( see shaw, or ron harper).

mikantsass
04-22-2010, 03:00 PM
its a pity It would never happen becaus the teams ar "rivals" but a trade of Sahsa for Rudy would work grat for both teams.

Lakers get a solid back up for Kobe who can also end up playing starting pg since Phil like to use SG that can pass and driv and shoot trhess from th pg position ( see shaw, or ron harper).

Why dont the Blazers trade him to Boston for Scalabrine lol.... Who in their right mind would want Sasha Vujacic on thier team.... dude is hot garbage and contributes NOTHING to a team except his gay long hair. Fernandez is MJ compared to Vujacic. Please take off your Laker fantasy land pajamas.

IRUAM #21
04-22-2010, 03:06 PM

Gay

Swashcuff
04-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Why dont the Blazers trade him to Boston for Scalabrine lol.... Who in their right mind would want Sasha Vujacic on thier team.... dude is hot garbage and contributes NOTHING to a team except his gay long hair. Fernandez is MJ compared to Vujacic. Please take off your Laker fantasy land pajamas.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

ElMarroAfamado
04-22-2010, 04:00 PM
its like he is not happy in portland ...where else can he go?

Toenail Clipper
04-22-2010, 05:13 PM
gay

Derrick Rose is gay, then don't watch.

Toenail Clipper
04-22-2010, 05:25 PM
but its my team...

Then don't watch.

sep11ie
04-22-2010, 05:26 PM
Gay

No, Roy. Gay plays for the Grizzlies.

Shady66
04-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Then don't watch.

oh, alright then.

heathonater
04-22-2010, 06:08 PM
rudy has to do something on offense, because it allows nash to not guard miller. too bad roy is not playing, because phoenix would have a big problem in defending miller. been a dissappointing season for rudy, and i could see him playing at another team next year. still think an uptempo offense that shoots alot of 3's would suit rudy well.

Toenail Clipper
04-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Of course he's not Brandon Roy, he's Rudy Fernandez! Does this idiot have a down syndrome?

NINER/BLAZER
04-22-2010, 08:26 PM
Phoenix blew it letting him go, he would thrive in that offense. Portlands style isnt for him. Unfortunately Portland has now blown it, they should have traded him after last season. He had a great year, breaking the 3pt record for rookies (yes I know curry just broke it again) Now his value is down so he will probably just go back to spain and portland gets nothing. Oh well they got him for some of paul allen's pocket lint.

Swashcuff
04-22-2010, 08:33 PM
Phoenix blew it letting him go, he would thrive in that offense. Portlands style isnt for him. Unfortunately Portland has now blown it, they should have traded him after last season. He had a great year, breaking the 3pt record for rookies (yes I know curry just broke it again) Now his value is down so he will probably just go back to spain and portland gets nothing. Oh well they got him for some of paul allen's pocket lint.

nice post

IRUAM #21
04-22-2010, 09:19 PM

Agreed, PHX sucks at drafting.

xbrackattackx
04-22-2010, 09:38 PM
Agreed, PHX sucks at drafting.

Yea, But they are great at giving away good picks.

IRUAM #21
04-22-2010, 09:41 PM
Yea, But they are great at giving away good picks.

That's what I meant :p

Rondo, Deng, and Fernandez come to mind. I know there's probably more.

xbrackattackx
04-22-2010, 09:43 PM
That's what I meant :p

Rondo, Deng, and Fernandez come to mind. I know there's probably more.

These are the ones I was thinking about.

iFYouSeekAmy
04-22-2010, 11:48 PM
Fernandez was so last year..