PDA

View Full Version : SVG critical of playoff sked

D Roses Bulls
04-21-2010, 10:47 PM
"It's almost like you're on a high school schedule or a college schedule playing twice a week" in the first round, he said.

Don't get Van Gundy wrong: He understands the lucrative TV contracts the league has with networks, which slot games apart. But he'd rather see the NBA play back-to-back games in the playoffs like Major League Baseball or at least every other day.

"Baseball gets their whole playoffs and World Series done in like three weeks," Van Gundy said. "Us, it takes us the first round to go three weeks."

I have to agree with him. a lot of players in the past have had problems with this in the past.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2010/news/story?id=5123337

IRUAM #21
04-21-2010, 10:47 PM
If he doesn't like it, then don't watch.

ManRam
04-21-2010, 10:50 PM
I agree 100%. The NBA playoffs drag on way too long. Does there really need to be two full days off between the first game and the second, as well as the second and the third?

I know a lot of casual fans that hate the NBA playoffs for this sole reason.

I'd rather they play back-to-backs than have two full days off. Treat it like the regular season.

Raps08-09 Champ
04-21-2010, 10:51 PM
Why back to back?

Watch him complain about back to backs if his team loses because of it.

Raph12
04-21-2010, 10:51 PM
I don't mind it, gives me time to do other things in a week.

D Roses Bulls
04-21-2010, 10:52 PM
I don't mind it, gives me time to do other things in a week.

me either, for a viewer its ok, but for the players im sure it kind of sucks

ManRam
04-21-2010, 10:54 PM
Why back to back?

Watch him complain about back to backs if his team loses because of it.

Why back-to-backs?

So the playoffs don't take over 2 months to finish. They do it all the time in the regular season. These are professional athletes.

At least do it like the NHL, which is a little bit faster.

It's just sooooo freaking long. Two games off between games multiple times in a series is a joke...

Raps08-09 Champ
04-21-2010, 11:02 PM
Why back-to-backs?

So the playoffs don't take over 2 months to finish. They do it all the time in the regular season. These are professional athletes.

At least do it like the NHL, which is a little bit faster.

It's just sooooo freaking long. Two games off between games multiple times in a series is a joke...

I am okay with 1 day off but not back to backs.

I want each player to be at their full strength or close to each in the playoffs.

JiffyMix88
04-21-2010, 11:03 PM
i like it, makes the excitement last longer

Raph12
04-21-2010, 11:13 PM
Stuff

Sig: To think of everyone involved, Dwight was called for a technical on that play.

stawka
04-21-2010, 11:19 PM
This guy is one idiot of a coach. He complains about everything, when he hasn't done **** as a player or a coach. Just STFU and do your thing, when you have some credibility as a great coach, then complain - until then, nobody will listen or give a **** what you say!

I hate this clown with a passion

xbrackattackx
04-21-2010, 11:45 PM
"It's almost like you're on a high school schedule or a college schedule playing twice a week" in the first round, he said.

Don't get Van Gundy wrong: He understands the lucrative TV contracts the league has with networks, which slot games apart. But he'd rather see the NBA play back-to-back games in the playoffs like Major League Baseball or at least every other day.

"Baseball gets their whole playoffs and World Series done in like three weeks," Van Gundy said. "Us, it takes us the first round to go three weeks."

I have to agree with him. a lot of players in the past have had problems with this in the past.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2010/news/story?id=5123337

then dont watch

SVG..

still1ballin
04-21-2010, 11:49 PM
then don't watch

TmacBryant
04-21-2010, 11:56 PM
I think it should be bck to back if the teams are playing at the same arena. If they travel it should be 1 or 2 day break....

JermanJaysFan
04-22-2010, 12:01 AM
i like it, makes the excitement last longer

Disagree. It stops excitement from carrying over. You watch some intense nail biter and can't wait for the two teams to go at it again, then you wait two days and forget about it? It's incredibly terrible scheduling.

topdog
04-22-2010, 12:07 AM
I have to agree to a degree. Maybe they should just cut it down to 5 game series again for the 1st couple rounds or something. Honestly, the playoffs get to be so boring especially when the 1st round most years is predictable.

JiffyMix88
04-22-2010, 12:27 AM
Disagree. It stops excitement from carrying over. You watch some intense nail biter and can't wait for the two teams to go at it again, then you wait two days and forget about it? It's incredibly terrible scheduling.

we all have our own opinions and i think that just adds to the anticipation. no matter what ur gonna have to give these guys two days rest you cant have them play back to backs then have one day off and play another back to back they need to get rest and have practice and film sessions so we can get quality games but i dont see anything changing so im happy

Ragun
04-22-2010, 12:34 AM
I agree 100%. The NBA playoffs drag on way too long. Does there really need to be two full days off between the first game and the second, as well as the second and the third?

I know a lot of casual fans that hate the NBA playoffs for this sole reason.

I'd rather they play back-to-backs than have two full days off. Treat it like the regular season.

so you would prefer a longer offseason?

stawka
04-22-2010, 12:50 AM
so you would prefer a longer offseason?

you FTW!!

Ragun
04-22-2010, 12:57 AM
you FTW!!

:cool:

but seriously. i hate the last couple of months of the offseason. nothing happens.

the playoffs will end around mid june to late june. and then you have the draft a few days later. and then free agency starts a couple of weeks later and then nothing happens in august and september.

if the playoffs run the way svd prefers, there would be an extra boring month.

stawka
04-22-2010, 01:01 AM
I'm already getting depressed about the Playoffs ending. I love it, it's obviously the most exciting time but it's **** knowing there's no NBA for a few months

GSW Hoops
04-22-2010, 01:50 AM
True NBA fans want to watch games for as long as possible, especially NBA Playoff games.

MaHaRaJaH
04-22-2010, 01:51 AM

I agree with you. It's the first round, most of these (esp with the 1 and 2 seeds) are write-offs anyway. At least in the EC

Sadds The Gr8
04-22-2010, 01:52 AM
then dont watch...

feels good sayin that.

MaHaRaJaH
04-22-2010, 01:56 AM
----delete me------

MaHaRaJaH
04-22-2010, 01:59 AM
then dont watch...

feels good sayin that.

Thank you for repeating what just about everybody else said.
That's not the point, for a 8 team (per conference) playoff format that's a lot of time wasted over a reason that's not even for the team's benefit.

MaHaRaJaH
04-22-2010, 02:00 AM
True NBA fans want to watch games for as long as possible, especially NBA Playoff games.

True NBA fans could be jobless to, correlation?

ldc62
04-22-2010, 02:44 AM
Sometimes 3 games a week... I don't get it tho; doesn't he want his players to get rest and to have enough time to prep for a gameplan?

stawka
04-22-2010, 03:23 AM
Sometimes 3 games a week... I don't get it tho; doesn't he want his players to get rest and to have enough time to prep for a gameplan?

He realizes his center is the only one in the NBA that could play a game every day for a year without feeling fatigue. Either way, the man is an absolute joke

RadiantShot
04-22-2010, 09:43 AM
Don't understand your hate for Stan Van Gundy, Stawka. Stop flaming him. He's a coach, and he's making a statement that's arguable. That doesn't mean you can come into the thread bashing him saying that he's an "idiot," an "absolute joke," or a "clown." He really isn't. He's actually a very down-to-earth, and intelligent coach, and despite his history of "choking," from what people have said, he's one of the best coaches in the league. I don't understand why you're hating so much on him. You should learn to calm down.

Double_R
04-22-2010, 10:02 AM
Don't understand your hate for Stan Van Gundy, Stawka. Stop flaming him. He's a coach, and he's making a statement that's arguable. That doesn't mean you can come into the thread bashing him saying that he's an "idiot," an "absolute joke," or a "clown." He really isn't. He's actually a very down-to-earth, and intelligent coach, and despite his history of "choking," from what people have said, he's one of the best coaches in the league. I don't understand why you're hating so much on him. You should learn to calm down.

Exactly...

Stawka, who is your team?, since your a tough guy typer

avrpatsfan
04-22-2010, 10:10 AM
I agree. This many off days is ridiculous. The Celtics should be playing today. Wednesday a travel day and that's it.

Avenged
04-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Exactly...

Stawka, who is your team?, since your a tough guy typer

I think he roots for the Lakers.

Raph12
04-22-2010, 10:28 AM
I think he roots for the Lakers.

No he's a Cavs fan.

Avenged
04-22-2010, 10:30 AM
^^ that explains it.

td0tsfinest
04-22-2010, 10:45 AM
From a fans point, for the most part, your able the full length of games without missing a different game.

But I do agree. I'm not liking this two day rest. I thought the Cavs and Bulls were playing yesterday and was kinda hyped about it.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
04-22-2010, 11:25 AM
I like that it takes forever for tha playoffs to finish... more basketball for me.

ragee
04-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Coz having a back to back game can take a toll on a player's body... Especially after just finishing an 82 game regular season... I only watch the NBA and NFL... How many games do they have in MLB and NHL? Are they as long as the NBA or as short as the NFL?

Storch
04-22-2010, 11:48 AM
This is stupid. Is he seriously comparing baseball to basketball?!

Basketball is 100x more physically demanding than baseball. The players dont get tired from playing baseball (except the pitchers). Basketball can tear your body down pretty fast if it was played on back to backs all the time. The basketball players need time to rest in between crucial playoff games.

junion
04-22-2010, 12:23 PM
the same people who are complaining that it's too long, and the nba is just doing it for the ratings and marketing are the same people who are saying I want to see back-to-backs, it makes ME bored in between games, MY way, ME, I, ME, ME, ME as the viewer.

the days and rest in between make the playoffs based more on talent rather than youth vs age, injuries vs healthy, and about strategy.

they give the coaching staff some time to analyze the games and have a gameplan. that's why people say the playoffs is the "Real season"

topdog
04-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Is anyone really that interested in seeing the Bulls, Bobcats, Bucks, and Heat lose 4 straight games and waiting 2 weeks to see it happen? I understand there needs to be time for adjustments, rest, and all that but the 1st round is too often a joke. It needs to be cut down in some way. If you can't win one of the 1st 3 games, you don't deserve to play any more. Series that are one-sided are anti-climatic and for me a waste of time if I don't care about the team. I want competition: period.

Hawkeye15
04-22-2010, 12:54 PM
countless threads have been brought up over the length of the postseason, and everyone agrees it is ridiculous. The first round needs to be best of 5, and if games conflict, go regional. Either that, or don't let in 55% of the damn league into the playoffs. Baseball lasts only a month because only 4 teams from each side make it, thereby getting rid of one round alltogether

Nighthawk
04-22-2010, 01:39 PM
The only thing i like about the current sched. is that you get a playoff game every night.

Games 1 and 2 should be back to back. Only days off are travel days. Its the playoffs. These guys get millions. They dont need 2 day lay offs. Let them go play.

iggypop123
04-22-2010, 01:53 PM
back to backs would give teams advantages. can you imagine denver? they would make the finals every yr

loveofthegame87
04-22-2010, 02:11 PM
The only problem I don't like is that the game aren't somewhat equally shared. The Lakers have been playing every other day while some teams have been getting three or four days off which is not good for either team. I think both the older and younger teams would like those one to two days off. I definitely do not think that the nuggets and jazz want to play mon
. and not play until fri.

mikantsass
04-22-2010, 02:12 PM
What isnt Stan Van critical of?

Tymer
04-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Game-Day Off-Game

Thats how it should be done but because of quadruple headers on weekends it doesn't happen

RadiantShot
04-22-2010, 03:14 PM
I think it's funny some of you disagree with having more time off. Don't get your panties in a bunch. Watch some different games, go out, and do stuff, don't wait around all day for one playoff game, lmao. I know we all love seeing how well our team is going to do, but I'd rather watch my team at full speed, than a sub-par, tired, Orlando team trying to win in the Playoffs. Just putting that out there.

*Superman*
04-22-2010, 03:16 PM
I think more then 1 day off is stupid. Having back to backs imo would be stupider.