PDA

View Full Version : Rockets' Brooks to be Named MIP

arkanian215
04-21-2010, 06:55 PM
Rockets guard Aaron Brooks will be named the winner of the NBA Most Improved Player award on Thursday, according to a person with knowledge of the voting.

Brooks will be the first Rockets player to win one of the leagueís performance awards since Steve Francis was a co-rookie of the year 10 years ago.

"It would mean a lot," Brooks said after the final regular-season game last week. "Thatís all I can really say.

"Iím happy pretty much all around (with his improvement). Iím not satisfied. I still have work to do. To win it twice in a row, that would be great. I have to become more consistent. I still want to increase my assist to turnovers (ratio.) To be up for this award, with the talent and the amazing guys that are up for this award, is an honor."

Brooks, 25, was the 26th player taken in the 2007 NBA draft and became the Rocketsí starting point guard in February 2009 after Rafter Alston was traded to the Orlando Magic.

He averaged 19.6 points per game to mark the largest scoring increase, 8.4 points per game, of any player qualified for NBA statistics each of the past two seasons. He is one of three players that qualified for NBA statistics to increase his assists average by at least two per game, averaging 5.3 this season. He averaged 2.83 turnovers. http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6969227.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+houstonchronicle%2Fspbkbkn+%2 8HoustonChronicle.com+--+NBA+Basketball%29

MoBASS
04-21-2010, 07:01 PM
He deserves it.

IRUAM #21
04-21-2010, 07:02 PM
:clap:

mikantsass
04-21-2010, 07:14 PM
Well deserved!

Kakaroach
04-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Congratz, another well deserved award going to the expected player.

Mell413
04-21-2010, 07:27 PM
Well deserved

AIsixersFK
04-21-2010, 07:38 PM
wasn't supposed to be more than a role player when drafted....really put this team on his shoulders with the departure of McGrady and Yao this season. :clap:

xbrackattackx
04-21-2010, 07:42 PM
Brooks deserves it..was talking about he would give up his starting role to keep lowry on the team.

td0tsfinest
04-21-2010, 08:18 PM
Congrats. Another Brooks wins an award. :p

He's been awesome all year.

heathonater
04-21-2010, 08:32 PM
well deserved. turned out to be a steal for the rockets by drafting him in the twenties.

RadiantShot
04-21-2010, 08:34 PM
Definitely agreed. Good job AB.

tredigs
04-21-2010, 08:35 PM
"To win it twice in a row, that would be great". HAH. I love that comment. Brooks is sick little player, been following him since the Pac 10 days and I'm glad to see him making his mark.

ChiSox219
04-21-2010, 08:36 PM
Durant deserved the award.

arkanian215
04-21-2010, 08:42 PM
Amazing... Didn't he go to the D-League at one point? Haha I bet HOU's FO is glad they gambled and shoved Alston out of town.

Sadds The Gr8
04-21-2010, 09:10 PM
not a surprise

Swashcuff
04-21-2010, 09:11 PM
Very much deserved. Arguably also the MVP of the rockets this past season.

Raph12
04-21-2010, 10:09 PM
Congrats, he deserved it.

*Superman*
04-21-2010, 10:10 PM
Haha Funny how two Brooks won awards.

ldc62
04-21-2010, 10:20 PM

And Noah shoulda been Defensive player of the year... :rolleyes:

Brooks improved much more than Durant, and Brooks exceeded expectations.

RocketsRule
04-21-2010, 10:27 PM
Glad to see he got it :)

The strides he made this year was just incredible, very well deserved.

wileyisTOFU
04-21-2010, 10:28 PM
:clap::clap::clap:

TheWatcher34
04-21-2010, 10:43 PM
good luck until you meet USS!!!!! hharr haarrr ...but you womt

TheWatcher34
04-21-2010, 10:46 PM
how many votes did
BOgut have???

Hawkeye15
04-21-2010, 11:06 PM
Nice! Congrats Brooks

ChiSox219
04-22-2010, 01:04 AM
And Noah shoulda been Defensive player of the year... :rolleyes:

Um...?

Brooks improved much more than Durant, and Brooks exceeded expectations.

Durant's improvment was greater both offensively and defensively. Durant's jump was also more difficult, going from arguably outside the top 25 all the way into arguably the top 5. KD doesn't get enough credit for the huge improvement he made defensively (though Thabo and Coach Brooks deserve credit as well).

I understand people don't want to give this award to a guy most figured would be a superstar but I don't know if I've seen one player improve his game as much as KD did in a single year.

I love watching Brooks play and I'm a Ducks fan so it's been a while. I don't mind that he got the award but I think plenty of people expected modest improvement (or at least people who watched him in the playoffs) and that's what we saw from AB.

smuffins353
04-22-2010, 01:23 AM
the best man won

Hey Man
04-22-2010, 01:24 AM

Then don't watch

JNA17
04-22-2010, 01:28 AM
well deserved.

ldc62
04-22-2010, 02:03 AM
Durant's improvment was greater both offensively and defensively. Durant's jump was also more difficult, going from arguably outside the top 25 all the way into arguably the top 5. KD doesn't get enough credit for the huge improvement he made defensively (though Thabo and Coach Brooks deserve credit as well).

I understand people don't want to give this award to a guy most figured would be a superstar but I don't know if I've seen one player improve his game as much as KD did in a single year.

I love watching Brooks play and I'm a Ducks fan so it's been a while. I don't mind that he got the award but I think plenty of people expected modest improvement (or at least people who watched him in the playoffs) and that's what we saw from AB.

You nailed it on the head... this was kinda expected from KD. I love KD's game, but gotta give it to Brooks. They have a better record than the Bulls and I'm pretty sure no one expected this... people were saying Rockets would be lucky to win 30 games out west.

ChiSox219
04-22-2010, 02:07 AM
You nailed it on the head... this was kinda expected from KD. I love KD's game, but gotta give it to Brooks. They have a better record than the Bulls and I'm pretty sure no one expected this... people were saying Rockets would be lucky to win 30 games out west.

Going by team record, how many expected OKC to win 50? Brooks had help, Landry played well and then he was replaced with Kevin Martin. Scola had a nice year, Battier is rock solid, Lowry was tremendous off the bench. If I remember, it was Ariza who shouldered a huge load the first couple of months though he wan't very successful.

No one expected Durant to make the jump that he did defensively but I guess few people were aware just how bad he was last season. Couple that with the huge improvement made to his offensive game while finishing 5th in usage, I think there's little contest.

Like I said, I understand why Brooks won and I'm ok with it but Durant is the guy who deserved MIP.

tredigs
04-22-2010, 02:43 AM
Um...?

Ding ding. I like when other people know what they're talking about. This saved me a post. Brooks' offensive stats might jump out out at people harder because his minutes per game increased so significantly going from a backup to a starter, and he DID improve, but his improvement was in no way comparable to Durant's and a few others. I'll spare the detailed response because I like Brooks and he DID improve along with his increased production, which is impressive, but the guy laughing at Durant being MIP is just ignorant to the fact.

Also, the #2 most improved player was Andrew Bogut. After that you can start making cases for people like Aaron Brooks and Josh Smith. Personally I'd go with Smith.

JayW_1023
04-22-2010, 04:13 AM
I predicted this before the season began. One of the few that actually came true!

ldc62
04-22-2010, 04:27 AM
Ding ding. I like when other people know what they're talking about. This saved me a post. Brooks' offensive stats might jump out out at people harder because his minutes per game increased so significantly going from a backup to a starter, and he DID improve, but his improvement was in no way comparable to Durant's and a few others. I'll spare the detailed response because I like Brooks and he DID improve along with his increased production, which is impressive, but the guy laughing at Durant being MIP is just ignorant to the fact.

Also, the #2 most improved player was Andrew Bogut. After that you can start making cases for people like Aaron Brooks and Josh Smith. Personally I'd go with Smith.

MIP is one of the worst awards anyways... who really cares; I only like it cuz Im a rockets fan.

MTar786
04-22-2010, 03:49 PM
brooks then wesbrook

sep11ie
04-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Brooks had a fantastic season. Very humble guy and played his heart out.

Kingz4L
04-22-2010, 04:31 PM
Well deserved for Brooks, but I have to be a little critical, I think Yao's injury helped him win this award..my vote would of been for Durant...anyone know when the ROTY award is announced?

D-Amazins
04-22-2010, 04:52 PM
Amazing... Didn't he go to the D-League at one point? Haha I bet HOU's FO is glad they gambled and shoved Alston out of town.

No.

IversonIsKrazy
04-22-2010, 05:07 PM
Well deserved. Some honorable mentions would consist of Durrant, Noah, Bargnani, Westbrooke, but AB deserved it the most.