PDA

View Full Version : Soriano dismisses Brenly's 'selfish' tag!

Tabou71
04-21-2010, 12:26 PM
NEW YORK -- Alfonso Soriano fired back at critical comments made by Cubs broadcaster Bob Brenly, in particular the suggestion that Soriano was ''selfish.''

''You know what? I don't pay attention,'' Soriano said, slightly raising his voice at the suggestion, ''because I know that's not me. I know that's not me, so that means nothing to me. I'm not selfish. I'm working hard. I try to win.''

Brenly's comments, which came during an interview Tuesday on WSCR-AM (670), focused on Soriano's tendency to watch long fly balls before starting to run. This was in the wake of a would-be triple that Soriano turned into a 415-foot double Monday.

Brenly brought up the subject of Soriano not running hard by contrasting him with pitcher Ted Lilly, who tried to steal a base during a Class A rehab game Monday night.

When reminded that Soriano, the Cubs' highest-paid player, had said the most important thing was that he hit the ball hard, Brenly remarked, ''That's a very selfish attitude to take.''

It's not a new criticism, and neither is the source. Despite the fact he's paid by the Cubs, Brenly has been a regular critic of Soriano's play in left field as well as some of his habits on the basepaths.

''It's nothing I haven't said many times before,'' Brenly said of the radio interview.

Soriano, who hadn't heard the interview, had no plans to confront Brenly about the comments.

He did, however, have a closed-door conversation with manager Lou Piniella at Piniella's request before batting practice Tuesday. Piniella, who didn't get a good look at Soriano's break from the plate as he watched the flight of the ball Monday, later had to answer to the media for Soriano's inaction and apparently wasn't pleased.

''I told him that when he hits the ball, even though you might think it's a home run, leave the box, and when you recognize it is a home run for sure, then you can go into your trot,'' Piniella said. ''Sometimes habits are a little hard to break.

''A really fast player would have had a triple for sure. In Alfonso's case, I'm not going to say he should have or not. I didn't see it. He obviously thought it was a home run when he hit it. And it didn't go all the way out. It hit the wall. But we've talked to him about it. And we'll see if it works. I think it will.''

Soriano called the conversation with Piniella ''good.'' He said he realized ''too late'' that the ball was hit to a deep-enough part of the park that he should have been thinking triple.

''He called me in because some media asked that question why I didn't run, but I explained to him why,'' Soriano said. ''I can make third. But I don't want to make the second out at third, either.''

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/2181798,CST-SPT-csep21.article

The ChILL
04-21-2010, 02:11 PM
The guy is a bum.

Milnertime
04-21-2010, 02:28 PM
The guy is a bum.
YOU'RE a bum.

hoggin88
04-21-2010, 02:55 PM
He also absolutely REFUSES to move from the leadoff spot even though Lou has asked him nicely several times. :D

THE_G.O.A.T.
04-21-2010, 03:03 PM
Soriano is gonna do what he does. Hendry and the rest of the Cubs organization knew that when they signed him. He is gonna hit homeruns, strikeout, play mediocre defense, and chase bad pitches. That is not a suprise to me. It drives me crazy when players don't hustle out of the box though. Hustle is one thing every player can control.

semperfi
04-21-2010, 03:07 PM
I'm glad this wasn't posted in the thread about Soriano. :sarcasm:

windycityD
04-21-2010, 03:31 PM
Considering Brenly will either be managing in Cincy or Milwaukee next season, and the fact that he's called out Soriano & other players before for poor play, good for him. I really don't think he give two ***** at this point, and like the rest of us, is tired of seeing the antics, etc.

THE_G.O.A.T.
04-21-2010, 03:52 PM
I still like Brenley better than the White Sox broadcasters.

Straight Edge
04-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Am tired of his act. The move I would make is to trade Soriano for Carlos Lee. They both have big contracts, and both make 19million this year. Except that soriano has more years left so pay half of his contract his last year. So why not just trade Soriano for Lee. Lee right now is struggling, but in our lineup and ballpark he would put up numbers. So Jim should make a big move by trading Soriano 4 Lee.

Tabou71
04-23-2010, 06:06 PM
Am tired of his act. The move I would make is to trade Soriano for Carlos Lee. They both have big contracts, and both make 19million this year. Except that soriano has more years left so pay half of his contract his last year. So why not just trade Soriano for Lee. Lee right now is struggling, but in our lineup and ballpark he would put up numbers. So Jim should make a big move by trading Soriano 4 Lee.

I would love to see this, but this will never happen.

redwhitenblue
04-23-2010, 06:45 PM
Christ.

CUBSin08
04-23-2010, 06:57 PM
We signed soriano over lee in 2006 for a reason

Diehardcub
04-23-2010, 06:59 PM

God no. Soriano for Lee. Why would we want that fat*** Lee. His defense is worse than Soriano's.

retep2281
04-23-2010, 07:04 PM
He also absolutely REFUSES to move from the leadoff spot even though Lou has asked him nicely several times. :D

Ok, I dont think hes batted leadoff once this year. But then again Im so tired of watching the team $uck that I havent watched more than 15 innings either.

windycityD
04-23-2010, 07:10 PM

But Houston was smart enough not to go past 6 years with Carlos Lee and his full no trade clause is only in effect from 2007-2010. Carlos Lee can and will be moved this off season, some AL team will want his bat as a DH. My guess is, if Houston would agree to eat some payroll, that team will be...The White Sox.

retep2281
04-23-2010, 07:13 PM

Make that 2 reasons and here they are:

1:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40-40_club

2:Year Age Tm Lg G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR
2006 30 WSN NL 159 728 647 119 179 41 2 46

RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+
95 41 17 67 160 .277 .351 .560 .911 135

And its all been downhill since there.

windycityD
04-23-2010, 07:17 PM
Make that 2 reasons and here they are:

1:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40-40_club

2:Year Age Tm Lg G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR
2006 30 WSN NL 159 728 647 119 179 41 2 46

RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+
95 41 17 67 160 .277 .351 .560 .911 135

And its all been downhill since there.

Soriano had a very, very good 2007 for us. His 2008 was certainly not poor. The thought was AS would also bring speed to the table, something Carlos Lee never had nor will. We all know how that's worked out.

NORTH10
04-23-2010, 07:25 PM
Soriano is the least of my worries right now.

redbird89
04-23-2010, 08:42 PM

If he really doesn't listen to Piniella, that could become a problem.

Doogolas
04-23-2010, 08:58 PM
Man it's a good thing everybody is continuing to ***** about the guy doing a best job of hitting baseballs on the team.

Doogolas
04-23-2010, 08:59 PM
If he really doesn't listen to Piniella, that could become a problem.

That was sarcasm. He doesn't leadoff and has never once said he refused to not leadoff.

hoggin88
04-25-2010, 08:59 PM
That was sarcasm. He doesn't leadoff and has never once said he refused to not leadoff.

This.

When Soriano was leading off I heard over and over that Soriano was just being a selfish baby because he supposedly "refused" to move from the leadoff spot. And whenever I asked people to give one single instance of him even hinting at refusal to move from leadoff, they could never provide anything. Piniella wanted him leading off. Simple as that.

I don't know why Soriano has the reputation by some Cubs fans of being a selfish showboat. He seems like a good guy to me. Never blames others for his problems.

Captain Obvious
04-25-2010, 09:16 PM
This.

When Soriano was leading off I heard over and over that Soriano was just being a selfish baby because he supposedly "refused" to move from the leadoff spot. And whenever I asked people to give one single instance of him even hinting at refusal to move from leadoff, they could never provide anything. Piniella wanted him leading off. Simple as that.

I don't know why Soriano has the reputation by some Cubs fans of being a selfish showboat. He seems like a good guy to me. Never blames others for his problems.

It wasn't just Lou that wanted him to lead off, though. Soriano said that he wanted to. I think that that had a lot to do with his decision. But you are right, he never said that he wouldn't lead off.

Doogolas
04-25-2010, 09:22 PM
So he said he wanted to lead off? Big deal. That doesn't make him a selfish baby. It just means he liked doing it.

Mell413
04-25-2010, 11:05 PM
Not sure if this fits here, but this is kap calling out Soriano.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/david-kaplan-chicago-sports/

Doogolas
04-26-2010, 12:29 AM
That was funny. But Kap is still a douche. And the guy had a point, if you're going to call out one guy you better be damn prepared to call all of them out.

Captain Obvious
04-26-2010, 12:38 AM
That was funny. But Kap is still a douche. And the guy had a point, if you're going to call out one guy you better be damn prepared to call all of them out.

I ****ing hate Kaplan. He should die.