PDA

View Full Version : NBA D-League: A Must or Waste of Time?

DodgerBulls
04-21-2010, 01:14 AM
Would you like to see the NBA promote their D-League further by implementing rules such as new entry players and athletes coming from an injury must spend "x" amount of time in the D-League to achieve the same fame/status of the minor leagues on the MLB?

This season, we have seen a couple of players that were sent down to the D-League to improve their craft. Thabeet was the highest draft pick to play in the development league. So, will the D-League help the players develop more rather than sending them straight to the NBA and be considered as A bust after a few games?

IMO, I think that NBA teams should make use of the D-League for fundamentals and rehab purposes rather than sending players with little experience or players coming from an injury just like in the Majors. It gives other players a chance who are trying to make a name for themselves. I think that there are other players out there who didn't get drafted to the NBA because they were out shadowed by other individuals because of hype.

MTone8788
04-21-2010, 01:32 AM
See "Golden State Warriors".

/thread

MTone8788
04-21-2010, 01:34 AM
In other words, yes I think the D-League is necessary. I'm not quite sure what your question is though as far as "promoting it further".

DodgerBulls
04-21-2010, 01:35 AM
Well they need a post player and to sharpen their defensive skills, hence the D-League.

DodgerBulls
04-21-2010, 01:42 AM
In other words, yes I think the D-League is necessary. I'm not quite sure what your question is though as far as "promoting it further".

fixed it.

Hellcrooner
04-21-2010, 02:11 AM
dont know i think the players would learn much more from going to play in europe.

abe_froman
04-21-2010, 02:20 AM
Would you like to see the NBA promote their D-League further by implementing rules such as new entry players and athletes coming from an injury must spend "x" amount of time in the D-League to achieve the same fame/status of the minor leagues on the MLB?

This season, we have seen a couple of players that were sent down to the D-League to improve their craft. Thabeet was the highest draft pick to play in the development league. So, will the D-League help the players develop more rather than sending them straight to the NBA and be considered as A bust after a few games?

IMO, I think that NBA teams should make use of the D-League for fundamentals and rehab purposes rather than sending players with little experience or players coming from an injury just like in the Majors. It gives other players a chance who are trying to make a name for themselves. I think that there are other players out there who didn't get drafted to the NBA because they were out shadowed by other individuals because of hype.
your never going to see that,where its like the farm system from mlb.

the reason why the farm is needed is because baseball is a game of skill and timing much more than one of athleticism,nba is the exact opposite(you can have little skill but great athleticism and still be a starter)

is it needed? yes and it will grow in its importance.but it'll never be what your talking about just because the two sports are just too different and rely on two different sets of qualities that make players successful

JNA17
04-21-2010, 02:27 AM
dont know i think the players would learn much more from going to play in europe.

sorry but no player from the nba should go to learn on how to flop and be soft

Hellcrooner
04-21-2010, 02:29 AM
sorry but no player from the nba should go to learn on how to flop and be soft

Charlie Bell, Brandon Jennings, Manu, Pau, Dirk, Anthony Parker, TOny Parker etc etc

MTone8788
04-21-2010, 02:31 AM

the reason why the farm is needed is because baseball is a game of skill and timing much more than one of athleticism,nba is the exact opposite(you can have little skill but great athleticism and still be a starter)

is it needed? yes and it will grow in its importance.but it'll never be what your talking about just because the two sports are just too different and rely on two different sets of qualities that make players successful

Nailed in on the head.

DodgerBulls
04-21-2010, 02:46 AM

That's a valid point. But see it as a practice session, whether it's a shooting 101, dribbling, blocking, etc. For example, Greg Oden. Since the trailblazers have Camby to fill up the position, would you rather start Oden and play most of the minutes since he will be coming off from an injury and jeopardize their chance of winning because he might be rusty. Playing for the Western conference, W is very important. Why not use Camby until Oden gets on the groove.

xbrackattackx
04-21-2010, 03:03 AM
I think if they skip college they should have to play a year in the D-league or Europe. College teaches the Fundamentals to go along with the Flashy, Show off moves. And at least they get experience this way.

billy17
04-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Who in the world would pass up college for a year in the D-League???

IMO, as far as its connection with the NBA, you go t the D-League when your team wants you to get minutes but they cant fit you into their game plan.. Obviously teams are utilizing it more, which is good; but I dont think it'll ever be much more than it is now.

Korman12
04-21-2010, 03:34 PM
I'm not sure about any "rule" changes, but does the NBA need the D-League? Yes. Certain teams utilize it well (to an extent) a la Golden State and Utah. However, many teams never even touch it, particularly east coast teams for some unexplained reason.

A smart organization could utilize the system well, regarding their roster situation.

Although I completely agree with the person who said that the D-League will never be anything like minor league baseball (and hockey), simply because teams can use it for positive results I think it's fine.

shen
04-21-2010, 03:43 PM
The amount of d leaguers in NBA has sky rocketed last year or two. It has given players a chance to show that they can play and given teams a chance to see more then what they did in college/high school.

I would be open to seeing more of the D-league, not really a must for me. But as someone that likes to see how players develop and all that, would be nice.

Raph12
04-21-2010, 03:45 PM
I think Beasley should've hit the D-League earlier this season, who knows maybe he'd find some consistency with his play.

Geargo Wallace
04-21-2010, 03:50 PM
its a way of keeping a team's talent off of the bench and not in Europe.

DerekRE_3
04-21-2010, 04:14 PM
Depends how a team uses it. From what I've read the Rockets use it to develop talent into their system very well. They actually have their offensive and defensive systems taught to their players while they are in the D-League.

ballpd05
04-21-2010, 04:18 PM
The D league is a good place for up and comers to show their skill and also for draft picks and young players to go and learn from playing time. The biggest thing it does besides allowing NBA teams to find diamonds in the rough are that it can help build young players confidence.

sep11ie
04-21-2010, 04:31 PM
I think there should be a D-League for PSD posters.

IRUAM #21
04-21-2010, 04:34 PM
I think there should be a D-League for PSD posters.

The Rosters would be mad full :D

mikantsass
04-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Charlie Bell, Brandon Jennings, Manu, Pau, Dirk, Anthony Parker, TOny Parker etc etc

Bell is at best the 8-9th man off the bench

Jennings went to Europe because he wanted to get paid instead of go to college. He was too young to enter the draft.

Manu, Pau, tony parker and Dirk didnt have a choice, there was no D-League. Also, they are foreign players so obviously they are going to play in their own leagues until they get discovered/drafted.

Anthony Parker went to Europe because he wasnt good enuogh to play in the NBA, in fact he still isnt that good but he has a nice jumper.