PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Howard wins Defensive Player of the Year

king4day
04-20-2010, 02:04 PM
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Dwight Howard has won his second straight NBA defensive player of the year award after becoming the only player to lead the league in blocks and rebounds in the same season twice -- let alone in consecutive years.

Orlando Magic coach Stan Van Gundy and players confirmed the All-Star center will accept the award at a news conference Tuesday at 2 p.m. ET.

"I think it's a well-deserved honor," Van Gundy said. "He's the most impactful defensive player."

Howard averaged 13.2 rebounds and 2.8 blocks per game this season, powering the Magic to the league's second-best record behind Cleveland. Only Bill Walton, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Hakeem Olajuwon and Ben Wallace each led the NBA in those categories once in the same season. Blocks were not kept as an official statistic until 1973.

Howard already was the youngest player to win the award last season. Now 24, players and coaches believe he could take the honors for years to come.

The man they call "Superman" swooped in to effect more shots than he blocked this season, changing games with his presence in the paint. Howard has been a matchup nightmare against almost every team, the main reason the Magic kept opposing shooters to an NBA-low 43.8 percent shooting.

The No. 1 overall draft pick out of high school in 2004, Howard has quickly become one of the most dominant centers. His chiseled, 6-foot-11, 275-pound physique makes him one of the most intimidating players, and his incredible vertical leap is even rarer for a big man.

Certainly not a player easy to get around.

"I was always trying to dunk on Dwight," teammate Vince Carter said of his time before he came to the Magic this season. "If you ask him, he'll say, no, but it happened a few times. But whatever, we won't talk about that.

"You always have to know he's going to be there. He has great instinct. It's always on your mind. You know if you beat your man, you still have to get around Dwight."

Howard led the Magic to the NBA Finals last year, losing to the Los Angeles Lakers in five games. The Magic also have won three straight Southeast Division titles, and they had 59 wins in the regular season for the second straight year.

Orlando leads Charlotte 1-0 in the first round of the playoffs. Howard blocked nine shots in the opener, enough for Bobcats coach Larry Brown to call him the "most valuable player" of the game despite scoring just five points.

Game 2 is Wednesday night.

Howard is the seventh player to win the award in back-to-back seasons, joining Wallace, Olajuwon, Dikembe Mutombo, Alonzo Mourning, Dennis Rodman and Sidney Moncrief. Wallace and Mutombo each won the award a league-record four times.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5118798

No shock but congrats to him.

bahama0811
04-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Well deserved.

Hawkeye15
04-20-2010, 02:12 PM
congrats Dwight.

Lakersfan2483
04-20-2010, 02:19 PM
Congrats to one of the classiest players in the NBA. He's a great player and will only continue to get better.

29$JerZ
04-20-2010, 02:20 PM
Great feat

DerekRE_3
04-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Well deserved.

Niro
04-20-2010, 02:31 PM
congratz...well deserved

*Superman*
04-20-2010, 02:36 PM
Wooo!

My boy Dwight!

GrumpyOldMan
04-20-2010, 02:36 PM
A well deserved honour.

Lions #81
04-20-2010, 02:37 PM
Now u just have to unseat the Cavs!

Raph12
04-20-2010, 02:39 PM
Congrats to Dwight, now let the bashing begin!... Dwight haters... On your mark... Get set... GO STEVENASH GO!!!

tredigs
04-20-2010, 02:40 PM
I wonder what the odds were on this in Vegas... you put down your soul, you get a lincoln?

still1ballin
04-20-2010, 02:40 PM
nice!!

S.J.Basketball
04-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Now only if he could get it together offensively the guy would be ridiculous son!

AIMelo=KillaDUO
04-20-2010, 02:48 PM
not surpsied.

NBAfan4life
04-20-2010, 02:49 PM
If this dude had some offense he would be challenging Lebron for MVP's

sacgiants1213
04-20-2010, 02:50 PM
no brainer...

when is ROY announced?

SirCalvin81
04-20-2010, 02:55 PM
can you imagine if he developed a jumper 2 keep his defenders honest

RadiantShot
04-20-2010, 02:57 PM
Congrats to Dwight, now let the bashing begin!... Dwight haters... On your mark... Get set... GO STEVENASH GO!!!

:laugh:

LMFAO!!!!! I never thought I'd laugh at a comment like I just laughed at that one.

Great job Dwight! Well deserved.

td0tsfinest
04-20-2010, 03:09 PM
Well deserved. There's no one better than Dwight Howard in the paint right now.

mikantsass
04-20-2010, 03:12 PM
Shocker. My vote would have went to Scalabrine.

fadedmario
04-20-2010, 03:13 PM
Congrats Dwight Howard. Now go out and shut down the Cavaliers again in a couple weeks

deuces
04-20-2010, 03:20 PM
damn, thought chris bosh was a shoe in

SteveNash
04-20-2010, 03:38 PM
Undeserved.

tredigs
04-20-2010, 03:55 PM
Undeserved.

Ahaha... I love this guy. Unintentional troll of the year award goes to... STEVEN NASH!

Back to the point -- How so, and who deserved it?

SteveNash
04-20-2010, 03:59 PM
Well I think they should do away with the award. I guess I'd go with Artest as he's really helped out the Lakers.

TheRazorboy
04-20-2010, 04:01 PM
I'd go with Artest as he's really helped out the Lakers.

Now THAT'S some quality expert analysis right there.:rolleyes:

RadiantShot
04-20-2010, 04:11 PM
Well I think they should do away with the award. I guess I'd go with Artest as he's really helped out the Lakers.

Yeah, definitely. I'd give it to Artest too! Letting Dwyane Wade drop a triple double on you, while tearing the defense to shreds doesn't count. Forget The other numerous 20+ point games by other stars too. Hey, while we're at it, let's forget Lebron's 28-34 against Kobe & The Lakers.

:)

Haha, funny, funny man. When will you come out and admit you're just a troll?

SteveNash
04-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Yeah, definitely. I'd give it to Artest too! Letting Dwyane Wade drop a triple double on you, while tearing the defense to shreds doesn't count. Forget The other numerous 20+ point games by other stars too. Hey, while we're at it, let's forget Lebron's 28-34 against Kobe & The Lakers.

:)

Haha, funny, funny man. When will you come out and admit you're just a troll?

So what you're admitting is that Artest goes up against the best scorers in the NBA and does a fine job at it.

While Dwight Howard shuts down some of the worst scorers.

RadiantShot
04-20-2010, 04:24 PM
So what you're admitting is that Artest goes up against the best scorers in the NBA and does a fine job at it.

Dwight Howard actually changes teams approaches at scoring, unlike anyone we've seen in a while, including all the candidates for DPOY this year.

D Roses Bulls
04-20-2010, 04:28 PM

THIS GUY THIS GUY...... the biggest player hater of the year award goes to........ STEVE NASH

SteveNash
04-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Dwight Howard actually changes teams approaches at scoring, unlike anyone we've seen in a while, including all the candidates for DPOY this year.

If Dwight Howard helps team defense so much, why does Artest have better on/off numbers?

Hawkeye15
04-20-2010, 04:35 PM
If Dwight Howard helps team defense so much, why does Artest have better on/off numbers?

provide statistics for your claims. Artest WAS a great defender. That ship sailed

tredigs
04-20-2010, 04:36 PM

NET +/-

Dwight Howard: +10.8

http://www.82games.com/0910/0910ORL.HTM

Ron Artest: +5.6

http://www.82games.com/0910/0910LAL.HTM

SteveNash: Fail

RadiantShot

I don't follow stats much, but I'm sure others can respond to this.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-dwighthowardnameddef

And don't forget.

http://orlandosentinel.image2.trb.com/orlnews/media/photo/2009-04/46423459.jpg

Eat it.

clutchski
Congrats to him..2 years straight. He just needs to start winning some MVPs

SteveNash
04-20-2010, 04:39 PM
NET +/-

Dwight Howard: +10.8

http://www.82games.com/0910/0910ORL.HTM

Ron Artest: +5.6

http://www.82games.com/0910/0910LAL.HTM

Steve Nash: Fail

Yes, because offensive numbers are relevant in a DEFENSIVE player of the year discussion.

http://www.82games.com/0910/09ORL12.HTM#onoff

http://www.82games.com/0910/09LAL8.HTM#onoff

Magic give up 3.3 points per 100 possessions more when Howard is off the court.

Lakers give up 4.5 points per 100 possessions more when Artest is off the court.

Eat it.

Nighthawk
04-20-2010, 04:40 PM
Shocker. My vote would have went to Scalabrine.

Same here.

I mean Dwights defense is okay. But Scal has worked on so much. Shown such an improvement on the defensive side of the ball. What a snub.

RadiantShot
04-20-2010, 04:40 PM
SteveNash :

That's not even close to being a logical argument, of ANYTHING. :facepalm:

When the Players are off the court. Fail.

SteveNash
04-20-2010, 04:43 PM
SteveNash :

That's not even close to being a logical argument, of ANYTHING. :facepalm:

When the Players are off the court. Fail.

It's the point differential between how the team defense players on the court versus how defense plays when the player is off the court. Which is why it's called ON/OFF.

Besides, LA gives up fewer points than the Magic if you're comparing just the On court numbers anyway.

RadiantShot
04-20-2010, 04:44 PM
It's the point differential between how the team defense players on the court versus how defense plays when the player is off the court. Which is why it's called ON/OFF.

Besides, LA gives up fewer points than the Magic if you're comparing just the On court numbers anyway.

http://orlandosentinel.image2.trb.com/orlnews/media/photo/2009-04/46423459.jpg

:p

Hawkeye15
04-20-2010, 04:45 PM
Yes, because offensive numbers are relevant in a DEFENSIVE player of the year discussion.

http://www.82games.com/0910/09ORL12.HTM#onoff

http://www.82games.com/0910/09LAL8.HTM#onoff

Magic give up 3.3 points per 100 possessions more when Howard is off the court.

Lakers give up 4.5 points per 100 possessions more when Artest is off the court.

Eat it.

that is because the Magic are collectively a better defensive team dude. Those numbers you posted mean nothing. The Magic's second unit is superior to the Lakers second unit defensively. Hence, the difference.

SteveNash
04-20-2010, 04:46 PM
http://imgur.com/PFfxx.jpg

RadiantShot
04-20-2010, 04:47 PM
http://cdn1.sbnation.com/photo_images/83747/64659_Cavaliers_Magic_Basketball.jpg

SteveNash
04-20-2010, 04:47 PM
that is because the Magic are collectively a better defensive team dude. Those numbers you posted mean nothing. The Magic's second unit is superior to the Lakers second unit defensively. Hence, the difference.

Even taking into account adjusted on/off numbers which takes into account who a player is playing with has Howard ranked below Artest.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/photo_images/83747/64659_Cavaliers_Magic_Basketball.jpg

LMAO, like that means anything.

RadiantShot
04-20-2010, 04:48 PM
Even taking into account adjusted on/off numbers which takes into account who a player is playing with has Howard ranked below Artest.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/226872/Nash_arm.jpg

Puh-Leaze.

RadiantShot
04-20-2010, 04:49 PM

LMAO, like that means anything.

It obviously does since you made a sig bet on it for this year.

SteveNash
04-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Barnes is gay for Nash?

SteveNash
04-20-2010, 04:50 PM
It obviously does since you made a sig bet on it for this year.

Oh man a sig bet on an internet forum. That proves it's serious. Also, the bet was to get to the ECF not win it. The Magic might get to the ECF, but they won't win it.

RadiantShot
04-20-2010, 04:50 PM
http://www.yardbarker.com/media/f/e/fe91e9342a49bd29e9c1141edf3b420a27462d8a/related/fc.jpg

?

RadiantShot
04-20-2010, 04:51 PM
Oh man a sig bet on an internet forum. That proves it's serious.

Obviously. Since you're feeling confident.

Hawkeye15
04-20-2010, 04:52 PM
[QUOTE=SteveNash;13012309]Even taking into account adjusted on/off numbers which takes into account who a player is playing with has Howard ranked below Artest.

so you will use one single stat (which factors in team btw), and avoid all the other advanced stats? Dwights defensive rating, rim protection numbers, rebounding, defensive win shares, all pointing to Dwight being superior as a defender mean nothing then? haha. Dwight's defensive rating is better the last 2 years than any single year Artest has had.

bigsams50
04-20-2010, 05:00 PM
http://imgur.com/PFfxx.jpg

Dwights gone farther than Steve Nash ever has in the postseason :shrug: i dont get y u put this pic

DerekRE_3
04-20-2010, 05:01 PM
[QUOTE=SteveNash;13012309]Even taking into account adjusted on/off numbers which takes into account who a player is playing with has Howard ranked below Artest.

so you will use one single stat (which factors in team btw), and avoid all the other advanced stats? Dwights defensive rating, rim protection numbers, rebounding, defensive win shares, all pointing to Dwight being superior as a defender mean nothing then? haha. Dwight's defensive rating is better the last 2 years than any single year Artest has had.

How dare you use logic in the NBA forum. I can have you banned.

SteveNash
04-20-2010, 05:05 PM

Well Artest is a superior man defender so there's no point arguing that. So the discussion turned to Dwight's impact on team defense. If his impact was really as great as some would like to portray, it would show up. Drtg, rebounding, and DWS all use traditional defensive stats which can be misleading. As for rim protection, it doesn't take into account fouls drawn by the opposition at rim (just fouls overall) and doesn't take into account that not every play happens at the rim. Howard could block everything at the rim but if he lets players take wide open 10 foot jumpshots then his defense isn't that good is it?

SteveNash
04-20-2010, 05:07 PM
Dwights gone farther than Steve Nash ever has in the postseason :shrug: i dont get y u put this pic

Steve Nash has been closer to beating the eventual NBA champion than Howard has.

bigsams50
04-20-2010, 05:07 PM
Steve Nash has been closer to beating the eventual NBA champion than Howard has.

Howards been to the finals, Nash hasnt

Hawkeye15
04-20-2010, 05:09 PM
Well Artest is a superior man defender so there's no point arguing that. So the discussion turned to Dwight's impact on team defense. If his impact was really as great as some would like to portray, it would show up. Drtg, rebounding, and DWS all use traditional defensive stats which can be misleading. As for rim protection, it doesn't take into account fouls drawn by the opposition at rim (just fouls overall) and doesn't take into account that not every play happens at the rim. Howard could block everything at the rim but if he lets players take wide open 10 foot jumpshots then his defense isn't that good is it?

defense is about stopping and taking away posessions. Of which Dwight does better than anyone.
I will keep it very simple for you.

SteveNash
04-20-2010, 05:11 PM
Howards been to the finals, Nash hasnt

Neither has won a title so who cares?

defense is about stopping and taking away posessions. Of which Dwight does better than anyone.
I will keep it very simple for you.

Artest has done it better than Howard.

RadiantShot
04-20-2010, 05:14 PM
I'm sorry SteveNash, but nobody can impact the game like Dwight on the defensive end, and that's a fact whether your stubborn mentality want's to believe it or not.

Hawkeye15
04-20-2010, 05:17 PM
Neither has won a title so who cares?

Artest has done it better than Howard.

Artest has not had a bigger defensive impact. You choose one stat to show your theory, and ignore countless others pointing to Dwight. Hell, Charlotte's perimeter defense is better than the Lakers, yet some claim Kobe and Artest deserve recognition for dpoy. Rebounds are not effected in any way, shape or form statistically speaking as far as influence is considered. When you dominate defensive rebound rates, you are taking extra posessions away. Dwight protects the paint better than any active center or big man. That is a non discussion, its a fact.
Artest can not guard elite wings for 38 mpg anymore. The Lakers have a unique combination of defenders to give him time off throught the regular season. Artest is no longer the elite defender he once was. And defensive rating is very telling when the difference is over 10 points dude. There aren't enough factors out there to explain the difference in those many points for two defenders on two different elite teams.
You are not hitting them out of the park today. You don't even have Chris Paul in your top 10 PGs. That alone makes anything you say dismissive.

Kakaroach
04-20-2010, 05:29 PM
Just as expected, congratz to Dwight.

D Roses Bulls
04-20-2010, 05:31 PM

artest has been up and down all year. he wasnt even voted in the top three in the final results. that fell to josh smith then gerald wallace and your saying artest should have won the award? come on man. i know you love to hate on the magic, but you cant be that naive. howard is the ONLY PERSON, the ONLY PERSON to ever lead the league in blocks and rebounds two years in a row. pretty amazing accomplishment when you look at some of the good defensive big centers the NBA has had in the last 25 years. howard deserved it

SteveNash
04-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Artest has not had a bigger defensive impact. You choose one stat to show your theory, and ignore countless others pointing to Dwight. Hell, Charlotte's perimeter defense is better than the Lakers, yet some claim Kobe and Artest deserve recognition for dpoy. Rebounds are not effected in any way, shape or form statistically speaking as far as influence is considered. When you dominate defensive rebound rates, you are taking extra posessions away. Dwight protects the paint better than any active center or big man. That is a non discussion, its a fact.
Artest can not guard elite wings for 38 mpg anymore. The Lakers have a unique combination of defenders to give him time off throught the regular season. Artest is no longer the elite defender he once was. And defensive rating is very telling when the difference is over 10 points dude. There aren't enough factors out there to explain the difference in those many points for two defenders on two different elite teams.
You are not hitting them out of the park today. You don't even have Chris Paul in your top 10 PGs. That alone makes anything you say dismissive.

All I'm hearing is you putting faith in Drating and protecting the paint, which had Joakim Noah/Ty Thomas Bulls as second best. Artest changed the culture and is the better defender. As for Paul, I actually forgot about him, which is why I hate making lists most of the time. I'd put him around 5th.

artest has been up and down all year. he wasnt even voted in the top three in the final results. that fell to josh smith then gerald wallace and your saying artest should have won the award? come on man. i know you love to hate on the magic, but you cant be that naive. howard is the ONLY PERSON, the ONLY PERSON to ever lead the league in blocks and rebounds two years in a row. pretty amazing accomplishment when you look at some of the good defensive big centers the NBA has had in the last 25 years. howard deserved it

Did you not watch the first half of the season where Howard was terrible? DPOY/All D voting is crap anyway, see the David Lee thread. And Dwight Howard is the ONLY person to lead the league in blocks while blocking less than 3 shots a game.

Vinny642
04-20-2010, 06:51 PM
Congrats to one of the classiest players in the NBA. He's a great player and will only continue to get better.

This

ARMIN12NBA
04-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Dwight Howard is so dominant defensively and definitely deserves the award. Congrats.

D Roses Bulls
04-20-2010, 07:45 PM
All I'm hearing is you putting faith in Drating and protecting the paint, which had Joakim Noah/Ty Thomas Bulls as second best. Artest changed the culture and is the better defender. As for Paul, I actually forgot about him, which is why I hate making lists most of the time. I'd put him around 5th.

Did you not watch the first half of the season where Howard was terrible? DPOY/All D voting is crap anyway, see the David Lee thread. And Dwight Howard is the ONLY person to lead the league in blocks while blocking less than 3 shots a game.

what does that have to do with anything? he still led the league in blocks. so what if howard was terrible the first half, which his numbers were down cause he had to do a lot more with all the injuries they were having and all the new people they had to work into the rotation. what you dont seem to realize is the magic usually dont have to play howard a full 48 minutes a game because they have gortat and they usually are up big in games anyways so i think his numbers are impressive for pretty much playing usually 30-35 minutes a game. in the end though he still led the league in blocks and rebounds and still affects the defensive side better then anyone in the league.

LEBRON_KING_23
04-20-2010, 07:47 PM
B.S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkC0tmCwTN4&feature=channel
^

D Roses Bulls
04-20-2010, 07:48 PM
B.S.

^

please dont tell me you think lebron should of won it or you saying durrant being fouled was bs?

TheRazorboy
04-20-2010, 07:50 PM
B.S.

^

:facepalm:

MagicBucsSox
04-20-2010, 07:58 PM
If this dude had some offense he would be challenging Lebron for MVP's

with offense he'd BE THE BEST PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE

RadiantShot
04-20-2010, 08:45 PM
B.S.

^

:facepalm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW1RGrCHhMk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kwhi1twVO0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d80pgyvV6ic

Raph12
04-20-2010, 09:10 PM
Idk why you guys are even arguing with SteveNash, he's an idiot, he is as stubborn as they come and will never give up no matter how wrong he is... Just let him lose the sig bet, then he'll be forced to keep his mouth shut about anything Magic-related and rep Dwight on his sig until Brook Lopez's team (with Lopez as the 1st option) eliminates Dwight's team in a playoffs series... AKA forever and ever.

RadiantShot
04-20-2010, 09:14 PM
^
Agreed, I'm done arguing with him. We'll see come June. ;)

IRUAM #21
04-20-2010, 09:15 PM
Idk why you guys are even arguing with SteveNash, he's an idiot, he is as stubborn as they come and will never give up no matter how wrong he is... Just let him lose the sig bet, then he'll be forced to keep his mouth shut about anything Magic-related and rep Dwight on his sig until Brook Lopez's team (with Lopez as the 1st option) eliminates Dwight's team in a playoffs series... AKA forever and ever.

Just so you know, he's not gonna live up to the bet.

RadiantShot
04-20-2010, 09:17 PM
^
Unfortunately, that's probably true. He'll end up making a new PSD account or something.

Raph12
04-21-2010, 12:03 AM
Just so you know, he's not gonna live up to the bet.

^
Unfortunately, that's probably true. He'll end up making a new PSD account or something.

That's okay, more than enough people know it existed and I'll have it all over my sig, so when you see him, remind him about it by putting it in his face whenever you feel like.

Sadds The Gr8
04-21-2010, 12:15 AM
bull$shitt...this award should've went to Bargnani....EASILY

D Roses Bulls
04-21-2010, 12:18 AM
That's okay, more than enough people know it existed and I'll have it all over my sig, so when you see him, remind him about it by putting it in his face whenever you feel like.

well when you see he has either another suns player for a name or another white pg, you'll know its steve nash

ldc62
04-21-2010, 01:40 AM
Wheres the full results? Did Thabo Sefolosha get 2nd?

Congrats to Dwight!

PS: We all know Andrea BArgnani deserved it!!!

Raph12
04-21-2010, 01:49 AM
Wheres the full results? Did Thabo Sefolosha get 2nd?

Congrats to Dwight!

PS: We all know Andrea BArgnani deserved it!!!

Bargnani came first, but since there aren't enough Italian guidos in the States as there are in Canada, his marketability isn't as good here, so they gave it to Dwight instead...

Anyways, Josh Smith came second and Gerald Wallace finished 3rd.

Raph12
04-21-2010, 01:51 AM
Here (http://www.nba.com/2010/news/04/20/player.of.year.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1) is a nice article on Dwight winning DPOY for anyone who cares:

Howard wins Kia Defensive Player of Year honors again

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- Dwight Howard turned to Orlando Magic general manager Otis Smith, somewhat unsure how to answer the question.

Already the youngest player ever with two NBA defensive player of the year awards, just how many could he eventually win?

Smith raised his hands, all 10 fingers dangling. Howard laughed, smiled and nodded his head.

"That's not enough?" Smith asked. "I don't have enough hands."

At this rate, it might not be so far fetched.

The Magic's All-Star center won the award for the second straight year Tuesday after becoming the only player to lead the league in blocks and rebounds in the same season twice -- let alone two years in a row.

Now 24, perhaps the next step for Howard is improving his offensive game enough to sway voters that he should win the Most Valuable Player award. Cleveland's LeBron James seems certain to take that honor again, and Howard said voters should factor in defense more.

"I think most people look at Most Valuable Player as somebody who scores a lot of points, which is great. I believe that defense wins championships, wins games," said Howard, who averaged 18.3 points per game. "I've always thought about it like that, and I'll continue to think about it like that."

That mentality helped him runaway with the defensive award again.

Howard received 576 total points, including 110 first-place votes from a panel of 122 writers and broadcasters. Atlanta's Josh Smith was second with 136 points, and Charlotte's Gerald Wallace finished third with 113 points.

Howard averaged 13.2 rebounds and 2.8 blocks per game this season, powering the Magic (59-23) to the league's second-best record behind Cleveland. Only Bill Walton, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Hakeem Olajuwon and Ben Wallace each led the NBA in those categories once in the same season.

"I think it speaks very highly of him, at 24, he's winning the award twice," Van Gundy said.

Howard has long preached defense first.

He has studied Bill Russell for years, reading books and newspaper articles on the player many consider the greatest defensive center in history. Howard is also good friends with defensive standout Dikembe Mutombo and assistant coach Patrick Ewing.

The former centers challenged him from the beginning to be a great defender above all else.

"Not all good players in this league, and not all great players in this league accept challenges, and that's probably the biggest growth that you see in him is that he accepts the challenge that's put in front of him," Smith said. "The challenge that's put in front of him is being the best defensive player night in, and night out."

So far, so good.

The man they call Superman swooped in to effect more shots than he blocked this season, changing games with his presence in the paint. Howard has been a matchup nightmare against almost every team, the main reason the Magic kept opposing shooters to an NBA-low 43.8 percent shooting.

The No. 1 overall draft pick out of high school in 2004, Howard has quickly become one of the most dominant centers. His chiseled, 6-foot-11, 275-pound physique makes him one of the most intimidating players, and his incredible vertical leap is even rarer for a big man.

Certainly not a player easy to get around.

"I was always trying to dunk on Dwight," teammate Vince Carter said of his time before he came to the Magic this season. "If you ask him, he'll say, no, but it happened a few times. But whatever, we won't talk about that.

"You always have to know he's going to be there. He has great instinct. It's always on your mind. You know if you beat your man, you still have to get around Dwight."

Howard led the Magic to the NBA finals last year, losing to the Los Angeles Lakers in five games. The Magic also have won three straight Southeast Division titles.

Orlando leads Charlotte 1-0 in the first round of the playoffs. Howard blocked nine shots in the opener, enough for Bobcats coach Larry Brown to call him the "most valuable player" of the game despite scoring just five points.

Game 2 is Wednesday night.

"Congratulations to him," Gerald Wallace said. "I don't care about awards right now. I'm just trying to get a win."

Howard is the seventh player to win the award in back-to-back seasons, joining Ben Wallace, Olajuwon, Mutombo, Alonzo Mourning, Dennis Rodman and Sidney Moncrief. Ben Wallace and Mutombo each won the award a league-record four times.

Howard might get there one day.

The gold NBA title trophy would be even more special.

"It means a lot, but there's just one trophy that we all want here," Howard said. "Everybody in this city wants it, and it's on us. It starts with me blocking shots, rebounding and being a big defensive presence."

ldc62
04-21-2010, 01:57 AM
Bargnani came first, but since there aren't enough Italian guidos in the States as there are in Canada, his marketability isn't as good here, so they gave it to Dwight instead...

Anyways, Josh Smith came second and Gerald Wallace finished 3rd.

I'm pretty sure theres lots in NY.... for sure NJ. Still doesn't explain how Jose Calderon wasn't runner up, he plays D so well that its almost like hes not playing D at all.

Raph12
04-21-2010, 02:24 AM
I'm pretty sure theres lots in NY.... for sure NJ. Still doesn't explain how Jose Calderon wasn't runner up, he plays D so well that its almost like hes not playing D at all.

LMFAO! You're watching a little too much "Jersey Shore" lol...

Calderon didn't play enough games, but you'd think that since the Raps finished 1st in dEFF, dRB%, oppFG%, basket protection (oppFG% at rim) and paint protection (pts in paint per 100 possessions), or was that the Magic? hmmm w/e; that Calderon (arguably their best wing defender) would get a little bit more credit for his defensive efforts, regardless of his injuries.

Dwight only won because of his damn smile, likeable personality and goody-two-shoes attitude... Ugh he disgusts me, lol.

ldc62
04-21-2010, 02:27 AM
LMFAO! You're watching a little too much "Jersey Shore" lol...

Calderon didn't play enough games, but you'd think that since the Raps finished 1st in dEFF, dRB%, oppFG%, basket protection (oppFG% at rim) and paint protection (pts in paint per 100 possessions), or was that the Magic? hmmm w/e; that Calderon (arguably their best wing defender) would get a little bit more credit for his defensive efforts, regardless of his injuries.

Dwight only won because of his damn smile, likeable personality and goody-two-shoes attitude... Ugh he disgusts me, lol.

I was definitely joking, Jose Calderon is the worst PG defender in the NBA. But props to Dwight, don't see who could take it next year from him unless Stern decides to give it as a gift to Lebron.

Raph12
04-21-2010, 02:52 AM
I was definitely joking, Jose Calderon is the worst PG defender in the NBA. But props to Dwight, don't see who could take it next year from him unless Stern decides to give it as a gift to Lebron.

That makes two of us.

ldc62
04-21-2010, 03:40 AM
That makes two of us.

good :clap:

sugarrayray
04-21-2010, 03:53 AM
Bogut's 2nd in blocked shots and 4th in charges drawn and he's not even in the top 3? Thats bull ****. I thought he should have come close to winning it, but definitely second. He's so good at controlling his blocks and affects tons of shots.

There's the NBA keeping small market Bogut out of the lime light and giving all the high flyers all the attention. Bull ****!