PDA

View Full Version : Would You Even WANT Your Team To Win A Ton Of Titles?

NetsPaint
04-19-2010, 06:48 PM
Hear me out on this.I want my teams to win a championship just as much as they next guy, but I feel that I would lose the excitement I had for a team if they were to win a championship let's say eight times within twelve years.

Being a Yankee fan sounds kind of boring.How do you feel about this Lakers and Celtics fans?Does the passion and excitement drive you still?Granted the Celtics have only won one in many years, but you get what I mean.Only one of my three teams got a championship (the Knicks), but that was only twice and not since 1973.This isn't a question whether you'd still be fans or not.Just about, again, passion and excitement.

Kohaku
04-19-2010, 06:51 PM

-Kobe24-TJ19-
hell yes

bigsams50
Who wouldnt want their team to win a ton of titles?

asandhu23
04-19-2010, 06:53 PM
not tons of them. I would love championship spread out over time so that I am still interested. being a warriors fan and only seeing 1 playoff run since I was two is hard. Oh and I hate bandwagoners so championships spread over time is much better than a dynasty.

NetsPaint
04-19-2010, 06:54 PM
I edited the title to be more clear.

Wait, nevermind, can't change it I guess haha.

Shady66
04-19-2010, 06:56 PM
Yeah, obviously. the down sides of winning a title would be bandwagon fans, there would be a lot, and like you said, the excitement level goes down. Although I wouldnt mind too much haha

HoopsDrive
04-19-2010, 07:13 PM
Wtf?

Of course I want my team to win every damn title they compete it. I want them to embarass, dominate and ridicule the opponents into utter submission. I want them to win, period. Everytime they compete, I want them to go all the way and bring home the title. I want my team to win 5 times out of 5, start a winning streak of incredible dominance and drop all records to the floor during that feat.

It never gets boring to win. Never. Winning is all that matters.

To answer the question, YES, I definitely, positively want my team to win every damn title they can.

Giantwarrior
04-19-2010, 07:14 PM
i dont care.

momoneyyyy
04-19-2010, 07:15 PM
i would want my team

td0tsfinest
04-19-2010, 07:17 PM
I just want one championship......Just one. :(

blastmasta26
04-19-2010, 07:24 PM
If the Knicks never lost a game, I would never significantly lose excitement. I might be slightly less interested after a while, but I would always maintain passion.

clutchski
04-19-2010, 07:26 PM
I'm pretty sure fans of teams like SA called a potential "Dynasty" are happy.

ldc62
04-19-2010, 07:28 PM
Give me 5 in a row and then a 25 year drought and I would be so happy!

clutchski
04-19-2010, 07:38 PM
I just want one championship......Just one. :(

Maybe back-to-back championships like the legendary Blue Jays :D

still1ballin
04-19-2010, 07:38 PM
cheyeehh

BaustinSali08
04-19-2010, 07:40 PM
How many teams don't want that?

kArSoN RyDaH
04-19-2010, 07:45 PM
yeaaa the ultimate bragging rights. wtheck? who doesnt want to win? everyone wants to win. the reason the lakers, yankees, celtics etc have so many titles is because management. it all starts up top. u dont even deserve a facepalm.

bahama0811
04-19-2010, 07:48 PM
Of course I'd want the Nuggets to win a lot of titles. It's a no brainer.

xBLAMEITON24x
04-19-2010, 07:53 PM
I want my team to win all the championships they can

Sadds The Gr8
04-19-2010, 07:57 PM
Of course everyone would, but I get what you mean. Like during the Super Bowl this year, I was pretty amped, not just because Manning and the Colts had a chance to get another ring, but it was just a great matchup with 2 great offenses and amazing QBs. In the end, the Colts lost, but for some reason I wasn't really mad at all. I was a little disappointed that Manning threw that INT and gave away the game, but i had no anger at all because I know that Manning has his ring already, so there's not really as much urgency to win. Now if the Colts hadn't won a SB before, then I'd be pissed, but they have so....

So yea I kinda understand what you're saying, but of course I'd always want my team to win.

dodie53
04-19-2010, 08:02 PM
winning is everything

ARMIN12NBA
04-19-2010, 08:05 PM
Of course. Everybody wants to win. There is no doubt that losing fuels the fire and desire to win, but I would not wish losing upon my favorite team at all.

Texans2010
04-19-2010, 08:07 PM
this is sort of a valid thread. I am a big time Yankees fan, and quite honestly, I expect them to win. If the Wolves won a ring, it would be an entirely different feeling than watching the Yankees win one. Interesting topic, for sure

JasonJohnHorn
04-19-2010, 08:19 PM
I consider myself a fan of the game (though I like following the Pistons, Raptors and I'm a big fan of Sloan/Stockton/Malone so I follow the Jazz and I'm a big fan of Duncan). I got to say, I'm not New York fan, or Seattle fan, and I wasnt a Jazz fan back in the day, or a Portland fan for that matter, but in the 90's there were a lot fo great teams and I think watching the Bull win year after year was more than boring, it was frustrating (officials were practically giving Jordan a massage in the pre-game warm ups and going over the plays with him) and bad for the league because even though Jordan and the Bulls made up over 80% of the league's revenue at the time, the league essentially put all their eggs in one basket and having one team that was winning and one guy who was the face of the league tended to alienate fans across the country and most of the people watching the game at the time were "Jordan" fans and not "basketball fans" which is why the ratings dropped when Jordan retired- I mean the strike didn help much, but we all know the Spurs/Knicks finals wouldnt have gotten many viewers even if the league had played 82 games.

And I didnt think having L.A. wheel off three in a row was good for the league, but right now the league is set up nicely. There are several dominant a amazing players (LBJ, Kobe-who I dont personally like but he no less than at least the third best player in the game and arguably the best), Wade, Howard and Melo, while players like Durant are tearing onto the scene and D-Will, CP3 (who had a bad year due to injury) and othr young point guards like Rose and Westbrook help to fill out the league while there are still some vets with some title-contending legs on them like Duncan, Kidd, Nash, Garnett, Allen and Pierce. I like having to watch the Cavs battle the Spurs, the Spurs battle the Lakers, the Lakers battle the Celtics then the Magic, and the Magic being a wild card and mixing thigns up by knocking of the Cavs. I like seeing a hard working team like the Pistons compete year after year and pull a title out, and though I didnt like the Miami team or the way it was put together, it was good for the league to see a championship team thrown together to add some surprises to the playoffs. The league has been great to watch the last few seasons when titles have been spread around several different cities (Boston, LA, Detroit, San Antonio and Miami). In the last six years 5 different cities have boasted of being home of the NBA champions, which, if you were speaking about the league in 1998, you could only say that only 6 cities in nearly 20 years had won a title: Chi-town (6) LA (5) Boston (3) Detroit (2) Houston (2) and Philly (1). That is a huge span of time to have only 6 different teams win and it wasnt good for the league.

Today the league seems healthy, fans across the country have legit reasons to think their team has an actual chance at winning it all (the West is such a tight race and in the east the top four seeds all have a legit shot at the finals). This is a healthy and competative league and seeing a new champion each year while watching anual contenders like LA, Cleveland and San Antonio battle through the playoffs is fun.

The last thing basketball fans need is to watch one team (be it LA or Cleveland) wheel off 6 straight titles. If only one or two teams are really competing for the title every year, the game loses its interest and fans in cities like Utah, Portland, and other such cities lose interest because their guys never really have a chance and then there is no point in even watching.

I'm for the love getting spread around, but I do like to see the best team win.

OnslaughtXX6
04-19-2010, 08:25 PM
lol

_KB24_
04-19-2010, 08:31 PM
If anyone agrees with this lunatic, you should be banned at once. Who the hell would rather enjoy watching a losing season than a winning one? You are not a true fan. :facepalm:

NYMETS2889
04-19-2010, 08:33 PM
any true fan that says they dotn want to win cuz of band wagoners is full of it, if you dont want your team to be known as the best in the land stop watching sports, while there is an excitment to the cinderella story id rather see my team go out there and win year after year, any one who disagrees is a moron if possible i would love to see the mets go 173-0 every year wining it all id love the jets to go 19-0 winning every year

end of the day the game comes down to wins, and if you have bandwagoners so what true fans dont care, i also love the hate that comes from winning, when the jets made their afc champ game run nothing was better then turning on WFAN and hearing giants fans ***** and moan about how they are sick of the jets

Pierzynski4Prez
04-19-2010, 08:38 PM
To the enourmous post above, watching jordan win every year was anything but boring. It was the best feeling you could have sportswise watching your team win year after year. Is that not the point and goal of sports after all?

Texans2010
04-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Of course you want your team to win. I think the question is, does it mean more if they dont win often for example. As a Laker, or Yankee fan, you expect it. Of course its awesome. But there is NO WAY you get the feeling a Wolves fan would if they won it for example.

Hey Man
04-19-2010, 08:55 PM
If by a ton you mean 2,000 i gues it would be kinda boring but i wish the warriors had a dynasty of like 4 championships in 5 years

heathonater
04-19-2010, 09:08 PM
would be very happy if portland won 3 or 4 titles in a five year span. they won their only title long before i was born.

JCboyz23
04-19-2010, 09:20 PM
no we just want our teams to make the championship and lose everytime much better for us...

tredigs
04-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Bunch of titles? HELL no. Give me one western conference semifinals every 15 years like we've been getting. TITLES? Pshhh. That's for suckers.

NetsPaint
04-19-2010, 09:45 PM
Some of you don't know how to read.I asked you if you'd still be as passionate.

RaiderLakersA's
04-19-2010, 10:08 PM
I'm greedy. If the Lakers could win a title every year for every year of my life, I'd die a happy, thrilled fan. I'm not one of those fans that assumes that we are going to show up and win a title, so I could never lose my passion or excitement. As it stands, we've had to battle to win just about every championship that we've had in my lifetime. Winning titles never gets old and you never tire of adding another banner in the rafters.

29$JerZ
04-19-2010, 10:09 PM
It would suck for the other fans of the 29 teams in the NBA.

For the fans of the winning team its awesome.

So yes, if its my team winning title every year I'm happy.

jojoe1188
04-19-2010, 10:16 PM
i know what you mean....ask any real red sox fan and they will admit that winning a world series will NEVER be like it was in 2004 breaking the curse. in some instances the chase is absolutely better than the catch. but i'd still rather have my team winning championships

the_jon
04-19-2010, 10:19 PM
I'd like 'one' title. :(

wileyisTOFU
04-19-2010, 10:25 PM
how could you not want that??? maybe if you went into 100 year drought afterward...

DCLAFAN
04-19-2010, 10:30 PM
I would want every championship, but I see what you mean as far as after a while taking it for granted a lil bit. I remember the 3 peat the lakers did became an expectansy more than an excitement. But in professional sports you will always have that excitement that everybody is aiming at the top and adjusting to you. Rivalries get created Queens and Lakers for example. Then when we lost to Detroit, that anger and embarrasement makes you want it all everytime. Not to mention against the Celtics, bottom line I want it everytime, feels way better than loosing trust me.

amoore87
04-19-2010, 10:36 PM
hell yea i want my teams to win 4 5 straight nothin for a few years and do it again..what do u think

soonabooma
04-19-2010, 10:54 PM
I was thinking about this very topic the other day, and I was trying to imagine what it would be like to be somebody like the Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, or Spurs where now it's just kinda the norm to be good and have expectations. I was trying to think about what it would be like, and would having that much success finally get to the point of just approaching things with a "yeah, been there, done that" attitude. And then I said to myself...."heck with that stuff, I hope OKC takes it to the house in a BIG way." Maybe we can be the new San Antonio.

Miltown34
04-19-2010, 11:02 PM
yes, see if they win you don't know there going to win so the excitement still there. The Lakers for instance had some close series with key moments that got them 2 the championship. If you win say 8 titles in 10 years, every season is different with ups and downs. Just because you have a dynasty doesn't mean your always going to waltz your way to the championship. There's going to be a ton of 6 and 7 game series. So every year you don't know that's the excitement. Now if someone said your team will be guaranteed the next 5 championships, that would be boring because then I would know. The fact of the matter is we don't know how each season is going to pan out and since not many teams get there consistently there is a great appreciation, (especially in football) but that's another topic about do fans of teams that get to the championship get spoiled more than a fan of a team that gets there once every so often?

JLynn943
04-20-2010, 03:14 AM
I think part of why I became a fan of my favorite team (Sacramento) is because they were the underdogs, so if they suddenly started winning every year, it would definitely change that dynamic. Still, I want nothing else for them but to win every year. I could see where it could get less exciting if we just completely dominated everyone all the time, but I'd still love knowing that we're the best and, as a fan, could never hope for them to lose.

The only negative would be the bandwagoners. I don't like people who just jump on a team that's doing well and act like they've been long time fans. I would deal with it though if it meant winning.

B.JenningsMVP
04-20-2010, 03:20 AM
**** yeaaaaaaaaaaa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

kblo247
04-20-2010, 03:53 AM
Yes.

Winning a title is sweet but defending it is sweeter. I love the thought of defending it and every team gunning for you personally.

The other thing I have liked in general is watching how guys handle after they have won a title or titles.

May just be me though

abe_froman
04-20-2010, 04:15 AM
hell yeah,why wouldnt i???i grew up a bulls fan so know how it feels knowing you'll win it every year and knowing that you wont.the former is way,far and way better(i cant wait to be like that again)

i get what your saying though,the first is the sweetest.because its a new feeling,and sometimes you arent sure but hope/want it so badly.and after a couple that feeling fades(never having the same feel as that first),becoming more one of expectation

...the journey isnt as important or exciting because you know you'll be there at the end. so regular season becomes less important and its just a waiting game,the post season(the real start of season for your juggernaut team)

junion
04-20-2010, 04:24 AM
win a ton of titles? yuk!!!

i would only want my teams to win only one championship! winning a lot of championships would probably make me sick to my stomach! ewwwwww!!!!

do you think anyone really wouldn't want their team to be so dominant... it's your team... it's like taking a test and only wanting a 75-80% because getting 100% is boring.

COBY KARL
04-20-2010, 04:36 AM
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs482.snc3/26408_1338184934914_1239840592_31137914_7298299_n. jpg

kArSoN RyDaH
04-20-2010, 05:45 AM
nba teams play to win. they dont play to not win. fans whether band wagon are not are good for every team. you think owners dont want people band wagonin on their team? thats why teams like the yankees are so rich and good. because they have band wagon fans who support the team bring in revenue etc. lakers and celtics as welll. when people become fans of teams they dont want to be on losing teams they want to be fans of winning teams. the more laker fans the better as i see it. i dont see why people complain about em. maybe because their teams dont win? hmmm lol

phila_gorilla
04-20-2010, 06:31 AM
MORONIC! Thread whore.

Hellcrooner
04-20-2010, 08:34 AM
i want al he teams that i root for to win every year and if its posible to beat the most heated rival in teh finals too.

DJ CHACH
04-20-2010, 09:05 AM
its called the NY YAnkees..maybe in san antonio the level of excitement drops but not in NY..the expectations are greater every year, so there is more value to it....

king4day
04-20-2010, 09:26 AM
As a Yankee fan, nothing ever matched the first title I saw them win in '96.
Since then, the excitement wasn't the same but it was still a great feeling.

That said, I'd take a ring every year if I could. Nothing beats the first time and if you can't live through that then you are missing out. There's a TON of NBA franchises that have never won a championship. They all deserve one at some point, but as the Cubs have proved, it's possible you may never get to see your team win a ring before your time has come. So be selfish.

avrpatsfan
04-20-2010, 09:42 AM
I want my team to win a ton of titles! Who wouldn't?

Ssshbliblibl00p
04-20-2010, 09:46 AM
Hear me out on this.I want my teams to win a championship just as much as they next guy, but I feel that I would lose the excitement I had for a team if they were to win a championship let's say eight times within twelve years.

Being a Yankee fan sounds kind of boring.How do you feel about this Lakers and Celtics fans?Does the passion and excitement drive you still?Granted the Celtics have only won one in many years, but you get what I mean.Only one of my three teams got a championship (the Knicks), but that was only twice and not since 1973.This isn't a question whether you'd still be fans or not.Just about, again, passion and excitement.

Sup with a you having Nets in your name when you're a supposed Knicks fan?

Being a Yankees fan is the complete opposite of boring by the way lol.

Nothing made me glow more winning last season and sticking it to all these Yank hating schmoes on the psd and around the world, SHUTTING THEM UP. Until the next time we don't win the crown.

I will say this tho, one Knicks championship would be the equivalent of 3 championships from any other franchise easliy.

jeter4president
04-20-2010, 09:54 AM
stupid question...im a yankee fan and i love the championships. i wish my sixers won every year and it sucks that they dont.

wait, seriously are there actually people who root for their team to lose in the playoffs if they win it the year before?

Ssshbliblibl00p
04-20-2010, 09:57 AM
stupid question...im a yankee fan and i love the championships. i wish my sixers won every year and it sucks that they dont.

wait, seriously are there actually people who root for their team to lose in the playoffs if they win it the year before?

Ugh, couldn't you just be a phils fan?

Jersey Yank fans are an abomination.

BoratSagdiyev
04-20-2010, 10:09 AM
I know what you mean. As a Bulls fan I enjoy just watching them make the playoffs. So I get really jacked when they win. But a Lakers fan expects them to win. Therefore, kind of removing a lot of the fun from watching the game.

Swashcuff
04-20-2010, 11:32 AM
While I understand the point the OP is trying to make IMO opinion itís utterly ridiculous to wish anything but a championship (or string of) for your FAVOURITE team.

I Love parity when my team isnít considered elite (like for the past 8 years) and isnít really figured to compete but if my team is a really good one and we expect to win Iíd want to win every single year. I mean who wouldnít.

Who likes to see their favourite team beaten and then have to watch as that team goes on and continues to compete?

I am a basketball fan more so than a fan of the 76ers but Iíd never root against them and YES I want them to dominate for years and years.

blams
04-20-2010, 11:49 AM
win every one

USMCLaker
04-20-2010, 01:10 PM

Yes I understand your point I have the same problem about getting laid all the time.

Clutch6
04-20-2010, 01:25 PM
This is the dumbest **** I have ever read, yeah I wanna win a ****-ton of 'ships, what dumbass wouldnt?

JordansBulls
04-20-2010, 04:13 PM

I understand what you are saying. As a Bulls fan, I feel my team has had more success in one decade that it would satisfy my urges for my team to win another one. However, I would just like good teams. For instance, with my team winning as many titles as it did in the one decade, I could be satisified in another decade being like the Knicks in the 90's, Sonics 90's, Jazz, or Mavs in this era.

KnicksorBust
04-20-2010, 09:17 PM
I'm glad some people are actually responding properly rather than just saying "This is the dumbest **** I have ever read, yeah I wanna win a ****-ton of 'ships, what dumbass wouldnt? "

Oh wait somebody said that too... anyway.

As a fan of the Yankees/Giants/Knicks I get to experience the whole roller coaster. The Yankees dynasty was amazing, the Giants 2 superbowls (I'm not counting 86 because I was too young but I'm counting 90) were great and the Knicks were a dick tease in the 90s and brutal ever since. The Yankees regular season games got a lot less interesting over time because I knew we were guaranteed playoffs every year. It was all about World Series or bust. However, I also think a lot of that came with the fact that baseball is my 3rd favorite sport and it's also by far the longest season of all the sports. I can't get enough of the Giants when they are good and I watch every Knicks game even though they are terrible (till July 1st). If the Knicks started winning titles, I wouldn't get sick of it for a second. I want a Celtics like reign on top where it just gets out of control. After all the suffering, the Knicks success wouldn't get old for me. Not.Even.For.A.Second.

NetsPaint
04-21-2010, 04:13 AM
Sup with a you having Nets in your name when you're a supposed Knicks fan?

I'm a fan of both (also the Hornets).