PDA

View Full Version : How about shortening the NBA regular season?

realistspeker
04-19-2010, 05:04 PM
82 games is way too much and at times gets boring. shortening the regular season even to 60 games will do wonders for the nba. you get less chance of injuries, superstars extending their prime years, the games are more exciting and important and plus the it cuts back significantly on the wear and tear on players. this i think leads to even more competitive play and the playoffs become more exciting. will the david stern allow this?

SNYmets86
04-19-2010, 05:10 PM
hmmmm nahhhh 82 is good for me

Hawkeye15
04-19-2010, 05:10 PM
82 is good. The playoffs are too long though

OrderOfCook
04-19-2010, 05:11 PM
There is a valid argument to cutting, say, 7 games (down to 75) or at the outside 12 games from the regular season for the sake of the health of the players and reducing back to backs. However, due to money from ticket sales, no ownership would ever agree to that. The league would also lose money on TV deals.

I would say that an appropriate alternative would be to shorten the pre-season by about 10 days and spanning the NBA season starting around October 15 - 18th instead of October 25 - 28th.

DerekRE_3
04-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Get rid of back to back games and shorten the season, those two things go pretty much hand in hand.

avrpatsfan
04-19-2010, 05:21 PM
No No No.

Swashcuff
04-19-2010, 05:23 PM
There is a valid argument to cutting, say, 7 games (down to 75) or at the outside 12 games from the regular season for the sake of the health of the players and reducing back to backs However, due to money from ticket sales, no ownership would ever agree to that. The league would also lose money on TV deals.

I would say that an appropriate alternative would be to shorten the pre-season by about 10 days and spanning the NBA season starting around October 15 - 18th instead of October 25 - 28th.

this is the only real point anyone can make as to why the season should be shortened anything else is POINTLESS.

Swashcuff
04-19-2010, 05:23 PM
82 games stays forever

close thread

GSW Hoops
04-19-2010, 05:28 PM
82 games is way too much and at times gets boring. shortening the regular season even to 60 games will do wonders for the nba. you get less chance of injuries, superstars extending their prime years, the games are more exciting and important and plus the it cuts back significantly on the wear and tear on players. this i think leads to even more competitive play and the playoffs become more exciting. will the david stern allow this?

While the other commenters jabber away like little kids, I'll offer a serious response to your question.

Yes, I think 82 games is too much. I think cutting it down to about 70-75 and eliminating back-to-back games would do a TON for improving the health of players. Also, it would increase the quality of basketball played since the players aren't dog tired.

With that said, there's no way David Stern allows it. Each NBA game is big money for the league, and eliminating games is like eliminating cash.

I think the best solution is this: Keep 82 games, but extend the duration of the season. Start the season a month earlier (in September or early October), have each team play 2-3 games per week and eliminate back-to-backs.

td0tsfinest
04-19-2010, 05:50 PM
I don't really see a problem with 82 games. I think its fine as it is.

shen
04-19-2010, 05:53 PM
82 games if perfect for many reasons, besides NBA would never shorten it as would cost Tons of money. As with the Nets new owner we have learned nothing is more important then money to the league.

ManRam
04-19-2010, 05:53 PM
Shorten the playoffs. 5 game first round...no two full days off mid series. 2+ months of playoffs is way too long. People lose interest, unless your team is still going.

NetsPaint
04-19-2010, 06:05 PM
No.

btw, I don't watch baseball, but THAT seems like an extreme amount of games.I don't watch it though, so maybe it's heaven for fans.

Swashcuff
04-19-2010, 06:09 PM
No.

btw, I don't watch baseball, but THAT seems like an extreme amount of games.I don't watch it though, so maybe it's heaven for fans.

its the greatest thing to know that damn near everyday you come home and your favourite team got a game. I love 162 that stays as well

ChiTownPacerFan
04-19-2010, 06:39 PM
82 is good. The playoffs are too long though

This times a million. How about doing the only sensible thing and reducing the playoffs from 16 to 8 teams. 3 division winners and a wildcard in each conference. Before you rip into me, this is more or less rhetorical. I understand that the added revenue of the additional playoff round, however long and pointless it may be, means it isn't going anywhere. God, I hate David Stern.

blastmasta26
04-19-2010, 06:43 PM
This times a million. How about doing the only sensible thing and reducing the playoffs from 16 to 8 teams. 3 division winners and a wildcard in each conference. Before you rip into me, this is more or less rhetorical. I understand that the added revenue of the additional playoff round, however long and pointless it may be, means it isn't going anywhere. God, I hate David Stern.
They should definitely reduce the number of playoff teams. It never made sense to me how there are more playoff teams than lottery teams.

kEviN21
04-19-2010, 07:01 PM
The NBA will lose $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$

Wilson
04-19-2010, 07:13 PM
I agree with Derek about losing back-to-back games.

It could screw up the schedule a bit though. I like playing division rivals four times per season and non-conference teams twice.

I am most likely in the minority here, but if we ever do see a reduced number of regular season games I hope it's to make room for some kind of international competition (similar to the UEFA Champions League, for example).

kArSoN RyDaH
04-19-2010, 07:54 PM
i dont know how this would pan out but im not totally against it. records would not be broken and prettty much be stuck in place. less games means less stats means less opportunity for records to be broken. i dont think they care about records but i do.

majmarcus
04-19-2010, 07:59 PM

Bro, I'm with you 100%. But as long as Stern is the Commish...it won't happen! Greed Drives the long azz regular season and 28 game playoffs! He couldn't care less about the longevity of the players because there will always be basketball players. If a player did complain about there being too many games. I'm almost certain Stern would probably fine him and tell him in so many words if not outright "If you don't like your job....quit". You got Stern with his Yessum in Stu Jackson....The Quality of the NBA is almost non existent because people see what's going on. But voices are silenced and people feel or have been rendered powerless to do anything about it! I don't give a damm how many people attend games! Like Shaq said "People pay their hard earned money to watch these players perform and you got the referees tryin to take over the effen game!" The refs are an extension of Stern....That old Geyser has got to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!