PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Camby close to signing 2-year extension with Trail Blazers

Swashcuff
04-19-2010, 04:41 PM
Trail Blazers center Marcus Camby and the Trail Blazers are close to signing a two-year extension, which could be signed as early as today.

"Since the day Marcus was traded, the Blazers and Marcus made it clear it was not for an interim engagement,'' said Camby's agent, Rick Kaplan. "It has been our goal to get something done, and hopefully he will stay in Portland long term.''
ESPN.com and 95.5 The Game in Portland were the first to report the deal, although Kaplan said nothing has been finalized. One person with knowledge of the talks said the two sides are "close to an agreement in principle" after nearly completing the deal on Saturday.

The deal is for two years and $21 million guaranteed. There is an additional $4 million of "unlikely bonuses" or incentives attached.

Camby, 36, has been instrumental in the Blazers' late-season run into the playoffs and played a huge role in Sunday's Game 1 victory at Phoenix, grabbing 17 rebounds and blocking three shots. In 23 games since being traded from the Clippers on Feb. 16, Camby averaged 7.0 points, 11.1 rebounds and 2.04 blocks. The Blazers went 17-6 in those games.

Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard declined to comment.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2010/04/marcus_camby_close_to_signing.html

I love Camby he's a very good player but at his age for 10 mil per. Kinda head-scratcher especially considering the fact that they have Greg Oden.

znick21
04-19-2010, 04:45 PM
loveeee this. the 10 million per doesn't really matter considering they're already over the cap and can't sign free agents anyway. just a reward for his outstanding hustle and great demeanor. plus he will realllly help with oden's development over the next two years.

ElFuturoDeESPN
04-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Well this all but seals the fate of Przy-beast-a in Portland.

I love it, though. Canby is a class act and I've loved the guy since he got traded to Portland. Perhaps he'll close out his career in a Blazers jersey?

Strumpy
04-19-2010, 04:46 PM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2010/04/marcus_camby_close_to_signing.html

I love Camby he's a very good player but at his age for 10 mil per. Kinda head-scratcher especially considering the fact that they have Greg Oden.

10 mil is a little high, but he's still a solid center.

SDBearsFan
Good move by the Blazers. Obviously Camby is still pretty good, and him being a veteran presence with their young big guys (Aldridge, Oden) will help, as well.

Ray_R
Great move for Camby, but they couldnt get him for cheaper?

Toenail Clipper
Two years 21 mil huh?
Thats stupid

SNYmets86
04-19-2010, 04:48 PM
very good mentor so when oden comes back

kEviN21
04-19-2010, 04:49 PM
Two years 21 mil huh?
Thats stupid

Not really. A player playing well deserves to be paid well. A little rage from his old team?? :P

king4day
04-19-2010, 04:49 PM
That's a lot of money for an eventual bench player, but I can understand the need.
I'm a bit surprised he didn't wait for Free Agency since he might have been able to get a little less with an extra year.

shen
04-19-2010, 04:51 PM
He said his first priority was to resign with Blazers, for once a player that means what they say.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Thought he would go to the knicks...oh well:sad2:

td0tsfinest
04-19-2010, 04:54 PM
The 10 Mil was a surprise but this guy can play. He's one of the best defenders in the league. Not only is he going to help the team but also help the development of Greg Oden.

blackjack_119
04-19-2010, 04:58 PM
He is a great fit for the Blazers. He will be the starting Center until Oden is ready to take over the position and then Camby becomes a great backup PF/C. I wonder what the Blazers do with Joel Przybilla's Expiring Contract.

blackjack_119
04-19-2010, 04:59 PM
One Free Agent that Knicks fans were certain they would get that ended up re-signing. I hope Knicks fans get used to the feeling. It will be happening a lot this summer.

Toenail Clipper
04-19-2010, 05:00 PM
Not really. A player playing well deserves to be paid well. A little rage from his old team?? :P

haha, nah.
but that is kinda stupid.

heathonater
04-19-2010, 05:01 PM
good move. there would have been several teams looking to snag him up in the free agent market. glad to hear that a key contributor will more than likely come back next season, given the uncertainty of the joel pryzbilla and greg oden injury situations.

avrpatsfan
04-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Too much money but the Blazers are a legit team. If Roy wasn't injured they would be a legit threat in this years playoffs.

ryder78c
04-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Hell yeah nice move blazers camby will retire a blazer!

Time to give away Joel For pretty much nuthin trade him to the knicks for Eddie House

jackdawson
04-19-2010, 05:30 PM
I love Camby's game but 10 million a year?

Ragun
04-19-2010, 05:42 PM
big contract but good move for both teams. cant get much better for camby because he wont get paid this much and also contend to win a championship for the next couple of years.

Iodine
04-19-2010, 05:53 PM
Weird contract, but still it pretty much means they can trade JP to the spurs for Bonner :pray:

Kakaroach
04-19-2010, 05:55 PM
Good move by the Blazers even though they are over-paying him. Last thing you want is to give up a good young player in Travis Outlaw and then have Camby walk half a season later.

blackjack_119
04-19-2010, 06:21 PM
I actually like the size of they contract because Portland will need large expiring contracts down the road to pair with their young talent that they are trying to move. Next season, they will have Przybilla (7.2M) and Miller (7.3M, unless they elect to pick up his option) and in 2012 they will have Camby (12M) and possibly Miller (7.6M.) Those contracts will allow the Blazers to their young players (Fernandez, Batum, Bayless, etc.) and take back a veteran of equal talent.

Swashcuff
04-19-2010, 06:24 PM
I actually like the size of they contract because Portland will need large expiring contracts down the road to pair with their young talent that they are trying to move. Next season, they will have Przybilla (7.2M) and Miller (7.3M, unless they elect to pick up his option) and in 2012 they will have Camby (12M) and possibly Miller (7.6M.) Those contracts will allow the Blazers to their young players (Fernandez, Batum, Bayless, etc.) and take back a veteran of equal talent.

do you think they'll keep him now? I mean that'll most likely mean at the start of the season Camby will be a 10 mil per year back up PF.

wileyisTOFU
04-19-2010, 06:30 PM

lols

But yeah this sucks, Was really hoping the Rockets could some how steal him though FA.

znick21
04-19-2010, 06:45 PM
do you think they'll keep him now? I mean that'll most likely mean at the start of the season Camby will be a 10 mil per year back up PF.

after offering paul millsap that huge deal, i don't think the blazers have a problem with paying a lot for a player to come off the bench. people underestimate the value of having depth, the main reason the blazers are even in the playoffs this year.

Tblaze
04-19-2010, 07:21 PM
AWESOME!

For it being only 2 years is perfect. The number is a bit high, but really even if it would've been 15/year it wouldn't have made much of a difference. After one year you have a huge expiring. And we weren't going to sign anyone with our 2M worth of capspace?? Might aswell make sure you have him back next year, he's fitting in extremely well into the lockerroom and should be a terrific mentor for Aldridge, Oden and Pendergraph.

ragee
04-19-2010, 07:53 PM
I guess that meas goodbye Priz...

ragee
04-19-2010, 07:54 PM
I guess that meas goodbye Priz... i hope he goes to OKC... They really need a center...

LA_Raiders
04-19-2010, 08:22 PM
well deserved he is playing great...

IversonIsKrazy
04-19-2010, 08:30 PM
$10.5m/yr? Really? I know hes been playing good (4get abt the open dunk), but damn that is still overpaid. They have Oden, Aldridge, Pyrizillia(or however you spell it), they really did overpay by a lot. I was thinking more like $4m - $6m/yr.

ldc62
04-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Seeing as how Oden will never have a complete and dominant season.. this is a terrible move. They should just draft another center this year.

valade16
04-20-2010, 12:01 AM
$10.5m/yr? Really? I know hes been playing good (4get abt the open dunk), but damn that is still overpaid. They have Oden, Aldridge, Pyrizillia(or however you spell it), they really did overpay by a lot. I was thinking more like $4m - $6m/yr.

4-6 a year? Really??:confused:

Camby is worth WAY more on the open market. That's like MLE.

If Camby hit free agency some other team would pay him 10 Million a year, so we were just paying the inevitable market value, even though I think we overpaid by about 2 mil a year.

Another underrated aspect is that the deal is only for 2 years. So even if we overpaid it's not like were going to be stuck in Salary-cap hell (ala Turkoglu) if Camby rapidly declines.

This is an absolutely amazing move from the best GM in sports.:clap:

Swashcuff
04-20-2010, 12:04 AM
4-6 a year? Really??:confused:

Camby is worth WAY more on the open market. That's like MLE.

If Camby hit free agency some other team would pay him 10 Million a year, so we were just paying the inevitable market value, even though I think we overpaid by about 2 mil a year.

Another underrated aspect is that the deal is only for 2 years. So even if we overpaid it's not like were going to be stuck in Salary-cap hell (ala Turkoglu) if Camby rapidly declines.

This is an absolutely amazing move from the best GM in sports.:clap:

exaggerated much???

Tymer
04-20-2010, 12:16 AM
isn't Camby making 9.75 right now? so its not a huge pay raise but the Blazers need him. I was hoping he would go to OKC or the Raps could get him

valade16
04-20-2010, 12:30 AM
exaggerated much???

Probably, but I'm a blazers fan amped up from our game 1 win!:D

kblo247
04-20-2010, 12:31 AM
Solid signing and accurate pay especially since Camby is better than the other two centers and Oden is just injury prone. Joel hurting the same knee again in the shower didn't help matters so it needed to be done instead of risking Camby walking to another team.

SeoulBeatz
04-20-2010, 12:48 AM
10 mill seems a TAD high cause of his age, but if anybody DESERVES to be overpaid it's Marcus Camby. Dude just D's up no matter what team he is on.... class act.