PDA

View Full Version : Best contracts in the NBA?

Swashcuff
04-19-2010, 03:08 PM
We always talk about bad/horrible contracts so lets talk about some good one for a change.

I'd have to go with

Andray Blatche's 3 years 9.5 mil

Thabo's 5 years 16 mil

And a homer pick of Louis Williams' 5 years 25 mil

Blache's being the best of the bunch.

Who do you guys got?

And PLEASE lets excuse rookies!

RadiantShot
04-19-2010, 03:10 PM
Rashard Lewis' ginormous--but clutch contract. ;)

Swashcuff
04-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Rashard Lewis' ginormous--but clutch contract. ;)

First reply has the name Rashard Lewis in it? Who would have thunk it??? Sigh

Kingz4L
04-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Landry only getting 3 mil for the next season

DJ CHACH
04-19-2010, 03:14 PM
GAllo

DerekRE_3
04-19-2010, 03:16 PM
Landry only getting 3 mil for the next season

this

OrderOfCook
04-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Sonny Weems at just under $0.9 mill next season. His overall season stats won't back it up because he was a nobody for half the season, but in the second half it turns out that he brings in about 14-4-3.

tredigs
04-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Blatche is going to be a perennial loser. I don't care if he can fill up the stat sheet as the #1 option on a team of misfits. He's mediocre on a good day at D, doesn't shoot a good % for a pf/c option, and just has a horrible mentality about the game. I would NEVER, EVER want that guy on my team. Not for a bag of rocks. Complete chemistry killer.

I like the Landry choice. Love his game, and only 3million? Wow, steal.

R.A.J.
04-19-2010, 03:29 PM
Me at nothing!

*Superman*
04-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Matt Barnes for the vet min.

J-Will for the vet min.

Redick for about 2-3mill.

All these guys will be getting a payday soon.

Swashcuff
04-19-2010, 03:31 PM
Blatche is going to be a perennial loser. I don't care if he can fill up the stat sheet as the #1 option on a team of misfits. He's mediocre on a good day at D, doesn't shoot a good % for a pf/c option, and just has a horrible mentality about the game. I would NEVER, EVER want that guy on my team. Not for a bag of rocks. Complete chemistry killer.

I like the Landry choice. Love his game, and only 3million? Wow, steal.

Wow. Bad day..... i mean its not like he is a scrub or something attitude and personal aside the guy is a very good talent and he can surely ball and c'mon he's only 23. I don't think its safe to call him a perennial loser so soon.

CB29
04-19-2010, 03:36 PM
weems at 0.9 million is pretty crazy considering he's our starting 2 guard...

sixers247
04-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Brand

Hawkeye15
04-19-2010, 03:53 PM
depends. there are multiple guys still on rookie scale.

Hawkeye15
04-19-2010, 03:54 PM
Durant then, if rookie scale deals are ok to use

tredigs
04-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Wow. Bad day..... i mean its not like he is a scrub or something attitude and personal aside the guy is a very good talent and he can surely ball and c'mon he's only 23. I don't think its safe to call him a perennial loser so soon.

There isn't a player in pro sports I am lower on than Andray Blatche. I'll leave it at that.

Kdirt
04-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Artest and Odom for the MLE

justinnum1
04-19-2010, 04:11 PM
Joel Anthony...makes 950,000

TheKing23
04-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Lamar Odom for the MLE is definitely one of the best contracts in the league.

Homer pick: Leon Powe getting paid $915,852 next season.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-19-2010, 04:30 PM
Eddy Curry gets 11 millions per year for eating cheese burgers

that's definetly the best contract

wait a minute, you mean the best for the team.....:facepalm:

tredigs
04-19-2010, 04:30 PM
From the Warriors: Reggie Williams and Anthony Morrow will be making 1.7 million next season... combined. The ol' double steal!

From the Thunder: Serge Ibaka at 1.2million for the next 2 seasons, and only 2.2/3.2 after that could prove to be a huge draft for them.

From the Rockets: Aaron Brooks at 2 and 2.9 million for the next 2 seasons. Big for them.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-19-2010, 04:31 PM
Odom's contract is not an MLE

Lakers signed him, cause we have his bird rights, we didn't need MLE for LO

Swashcuff
04-19-2010, 04:36 PM
From the Warriors: Reggie Williams and Anthony Morrow will be making 1.7 million next season... combined. The ol' double steal!

From the Thunder: Serge Ibaka at 1.2million for the next 2 seasons, and only 2.2/3.2 after that could prove to be a huge draft for them.

From the Rockets: Aaron Brooks at 2 and 2.9 million for the next 2 seasons. Big for them.

:up:

tredigs
04-19-2010, 04:39 PM
Odom's contract is not an MLE

Lakers signed him, cause we have his bird rights, we didn't need MLE for LO

Yeah 8 million a year didn't sound like a mid-level exception to me.

Hawkeye15
04-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Artest and Odom for the MLE

Artest is having a horrendous year.

ballpd05
04-19-2010, 04:57 PM
I'm being a homer and I don't know if rookie contracts count, but Marcus Thornton... a whopping $450,000 this year.

avrpatsfan
04-19-2010, 05:01 PM
Rondo's salary this year is really low. Even next years salary for him at 9 million is cheap for a PG like him. As mentioned before Durant's contract is really low.

Swashcuff
04-19-2010, 05:02 PM

:no:

Ask a true Laker fan who's seen him on D this season and you'd get the correct answer.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-19-2010, 05:12 PM

just stop please

td0tsfinest
04-19-2010, 05:13 PM
Artest at MLE.

Barnes at the Vet. Minimum.

BTW, I think posters should strive away from choosing players that are still under their rookie contracts.

Swashcuff
04-19-2010, 05:20 PM
Artest at MLE.

Barnes at the Vet. Minimum.

BTW, I think posters should strive away from choosing players that are still under their rookie contracts.

i agree with you but yet still i did the same ;)

Heat-On-Fire!!!
04-19-2010, 05:26 PM
Lebron james,dude should be making 30 mil a year.

Hawkeye15
04-19-2010, 05:29 PM
:no:

Ask a true Laker fan who's seen him on D this season and you'd get the correct answer.

I have watched him play plenty of times. He can play D now and then when they really need him to, but he should not be brought up as a great deal financially. Although, there are a ton worse deals as well.

Swashcuff
04-19-2010, 05:34 PM
I have watched him play plenty of times. He can play D now and then when they really need him to, but he should not be brought up as a great deal financially. Although, there are a ton worse deals as well.

you got an argument there but saying he's been horrendous in certainly inaccurate.

Iodine
04-19-2010, 05:38 PM
Wes Matthews a future 5 time MVP

/thread

Hawkeye15
04-19-2010, 05:42 PM
you got an argument there but saying he's been horrendous in certainly inaccurate.

obviously that is a term I should reconsider, but the fact is, Artest has not been good this year.
Now, that being said, the Lakers didn't get him to play his tail off for 82 games, and playoffs. They simply wanted him to guard the other teams best player when it was a big game, and for him to be a defensive presence in the playoffs. Ariza is a far better option for them this year, last year, any year at this point, but the young kid wanted a long term deal, and the Lakers decided to get a slighty worse version of him for a shorter amount of time.
But he is not in the convo for best deal out there unless he shuts down the opposing teams best scorer for multiple series.

D Roses Bulls
04-19-2010, 06:13 PM
matt barnes

Miltown34
04-19-2010, 06:16 PM
all the top rookies, if ur talking just about rookies( but that's pay scale anyway)

FlakeyFool
04-19-2010, 06:16 PM
turkoglu

Swashcuff
04-19-2010, 06:19 PM
all the top rookies, if ur talking just about rookies( but that's pay scale anyway)

why don't you just read the OP? :facepalm:

gfixer33
04-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Gilbert arenas and shaq

ldc62
04-19-2010, 08:41 PM
Easily Ariza... 5 mill a year for 4 years.

kjdills13
04-19-2010, 09:06 PM
i think Ron Artest. I HATE the lakers but they got him for a steal. he is the BEST one on one defender of any wing player in the NBA and on alot of NBA teams he would be there number 1 or 2 best scorers.

If and contender like Utah or the Suns or Mavericks had signed this guy to the MLE like the lakers they would be the team to beat not the lakers

JNA17
04-19-2010, 09:10 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x_-IoeSB-A&feature=related

kjdills13
04-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Kind of a sleeper but Channing Frye has a good contract 2 million a year and he is a top 5 3 point shooter this year in the NBA.

Hawkeye15
04-19-2010, 09:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x_-IoeSB-A&feature=related

haha, take your own advice brah

kjdills13
04-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Batum is also a steal for 1.1 million a year!

JNA17
04-19-2010, 09:14 PM
haha, take your own advice brah

Just my message i deliver when needed for people who don't watch games is all ;)

ragee
04-19-2010, 09:15 PM
I am surprised no one has mentioned Hedo's...

Hawkeye15
04-19-2010, 09:20 PM
Just my message i deliver when needed for people who don't watch games is all ;)

while I will agree the term horrendous is not correct, and should not have been used, Artest's PER is way below that of an average player, he is no longer capable of guarding a top player for more than a game here or there, and the Lakers would be way better off with Ariza. That being said, the Lakers got him for shorterm use.
But please dude, bring it if you want to talk about Artest's season as positive. He has sucked balls on the offensive end, and is a spot shut down defender.

Swashcuff
04-19-2010, 09:26 PM
while I will agree the term horrendous is not correct, and should not have been used, Artest's PER is way below that of an average player, he is no longer capable of guarding a top player for more than a game here or there, and the Lakers would be way better off with Ariza. That being said, the Lakers got him for shorterm use.
But please dude, bring it if you want to talk about Artest's season as positive. He has sucked balls on the offensive end, and is a spot shut down defender.

again inaccurate. Why are you hating on Artest's D so much? He's more likely than not going to end up Top 3 in DPOY voting.

iFYouSeekAmy
04-19-2010, 09:28 PM
Anthony Morrow's contract below 1m.. and I believe restricted FA.

Kelenna Azubuike's contract 3m , and player option this year..

..Corey Maggette.

mikantsass
04-19-2010, 09:29 PM
Aaron Brooks

ragee
04-19-2010, 09:31 PM
Aaron Brooks

How much is he making?

Hawkeye15
04-19-2010, 09:57 PM
again inaccurate. Why are you hating on Artest's D so much? He's more likely than not going to end up Top 3 in DPOY voting.

not inaccurate. And I am not hating. The fact is, Artest is not capable of being a great on the ball defender for 82 games anymore. The Lakers overall team defensive rating helps everyones individual rating, but if you watch Artest's defense he stands upright most of the time, doesn't get in passing lanes, and really take series of play off entirely. And on top of that, he is horrific offensively.
and DPOY vote? haha. Who cares

Swashcuff
04-19-2010, 10:06 PM
not inaccurate. And I am not hating. The fact is, Artest is not capable of being a great on the ball defender for 82 games anymore. The Lakers overall team defensive rating helps everyones individual rating, but if you watch Artest's defense he stands upright most of the time, doesn't get in passing lanes, and really take series of play off entirely. And on top of that, he is horrific offensively.

you are obviously being bitter makes no sense trying to debate this with you

Hawkeye15
04-19-2010, 10:13 PM
you are obviously being bitter makes no sense trying to debate this with you

how am I being bitter? I am indifferent. I am saying how can someone say Artest, who is pathetic on offense, is a suggestion for best contract?
Durant missing point blank 18 footers in game 1 is no reason for anyone to claim Artest is a great defender at this stage of his career.

Come on man, I know you have something to offer except blanket statements.

Swashcuff
04-19-2010, 10:36 PM
how am I being bitter? I am indifferent. I am saying how can someone say Artest, who is pathetic on offense, is a suggestion for best contract?
Durant missing point blank 18 footers in game 1 is no reason for anyone to claim Artest is a great defender at this stage of his career.

Come on man, I know you have something to offer except blanket statements.

Ron Artest's offensive production is down across the board. He is certainly inefficient. Whether or not if he's a better fit than Ariza for the Lakers is IMO still debatable.

You say Durant missing point blank 18 foot jumpers well from watching every minute of the game that's not all I saw. Artest was physical and got to him mentally (something all great defenders have the ability to do) and really didn't allow KD to get into any kind of rhythm. But this isn't just about 1 playoff game this is about your idea that Ron Artest is horrendous player.

I say I disagree.

I think his value is far greater than just his offensive efficiency. I haven't seen every single Laker game but those that I did see and watch in its entirety Artest was fabulous on D. The only knock I have on his D was his ability to defend the jumper which was something he was able to do great in the past but the season he seemed to have lost that ability or agility though he showed that he can still get up there on KD yesterday. He's is still one of the strongest SF's in the league and as far as a one on one wing defender goes he's still the best in the game.

Whether or not you think he's worth his contract that's your opinion but there is a reason why he is still considered as one of the best and it isn't because people are being ignorant and just saying stupid stuff.

the_jon
04-19-2010, 10:51 PM
Hedo Turkoglu

:facepalm:

kblo247
04-19-2010, 10:56 PM

You mean Ron was poor defensively with plantar fasciitis in both feet? Who wouldn't be? Why would he also get in the passing lanes when his job is to do what Kobe did last year which is guard the best option on a team and let Kobe do the roaming and helping that Ariza did?

Horrendous offensively? He is shooting bad since hurting his thumb especially from the 3 where he was hitting at a 40% clip , but on the year Artest is basically converting at the same rate he has for his whole career from the field and 3pt line while taking 3 less shots and being a set shooter as opposed to being a guy who takes off-balanced and contested shots off the dribble which a hard habit for anyone to break.

For the MLE price you can't name a better player than him who brings defense, decent scoring, rebounding, and assists. If you have someone in mind, name them please.

jim51990
04-19-2010, 10:59 PM
rondo at 11m per year is a steal

Ill21
04-19-2010, 11:01 PM
Gallo

kblo247
04-19-2010, 11:04 PM
rondo at 11m per year is a steal

For a PG who can't shoot and be disregarded offensively by elite teams nor deter let alone defend Rose, Deron, Paul, Nash, and those type of guards without help? He isn't a good enough offensively or as an individual defender to deserve that price tag. He is just young on a team of older guys who need his youth, energy, speed, and ability to push the ball more so than anything else. It isn't like he can take a game over by shutting his matchup down or get you 30 while actually being covered.

If you want to talk about a bargain impact player on a non-rookie contract look no further than Ginobili and his last (current without extension) deal.

Hawkeye15
04-19-2010, 11:05 PM
Ron Artest's offensive production is down across the board. He is certainly inefficient. Whether or not if he's a better fit than Ariza for the Lakers is IMO still debatable.

You say Durant missing point blank 18 foot jumpers well from watching every minute of the game that's not all I saw. Artest was physical and got to him mentally (something all great defenders have the ability to do) and really didn't allow KD to get into any kind of rhythm. But this isn't just about 1 playoff game this is about your idea that Ron Artest is horrendous player.

I say I disagree.

I think his value is far greater than just his offensive efficiency. I haven't seen every single Laker game but those that I did see and watch in its entirety Artest was fabulous on D. The only knock I have on his D was his ability to defend the jumper which was something he was able to do great in the past but the season he seemed to have lost that ability or agility though he showed that he can still get up there on KD yesterday. He's is still one of the strongest SF's in the league and as far as a one on one wing defender goes he's still the best in the game.

Whether or not you think he's worth his contract that's your opinion but there is a reason why he is still considered as one of the best and it isn't because people are being ignorant and just saying stupid stuff.

his defensive rating is nowhere near his best. He is a downgrade from what Ariza was doing. KD did miss point blank playoff jumpers. I have always liked Artest, but in all reality, he is not even an average player at this point. His offense is so bad, it actually has started to offset his defense.

Hawkeye15
04-19-2010, 11:08 PM
You mean Ron was poor defensively with plantar fasciitis in both feet? Who wouldn't be? Why would he also get in the passing lanes when his job is to do what Kobe did last year which is guard the best option on a team and let Kobe do the roaming and helping that Ariza did?

Horrendous offensively? He is shooting bad since hurting his thumb especially from the 3 where he was hitting at a 40% clip , but on the year Artest is basically converting at the same rate he has for his whole career from the field and 3pt line while taking 3 less shots and being a set shooter as opposed to being a guy who takes off-balanced and contested shots off the dribble which a hard habit for anyone to break.

For the MLE price you can't name a better player than him who brings defense, decent scoring, rebounding, and assists. If you have someone in mind, name them please.

injuries are fun.
Artest is horrendous offensively, and the reason doesnt matter. Only the results do. He stands upright many nights on defense, he literally has had the worst offensive year he has had forever, and doesn't rebound like he did. Blame it on whatever you like. Facts are facts

jim51990
04-19-2010, 11:11 PM
For a PG who can't shoot and be disregarded offensively by elite teams nor deter let alone defend Rose, Deron, Paul, Nash, and those type of guards without help?.

Wrong. one he can no longer be disregarded because he just blows by players. Like he did to your lakers when they tried to play off him last time they played each other. and im the biggest d-will fan and feel hes the pg in the nba but ive seen multiple times rondo outplay him and paul for that matter. and last years playoffs showed how much he outplayed rose

kblo247
04-19-2010, 11:14 PM
his defensive rating is nowhere near his best. He is a downgrade from what Ariza was doing. KD did miss point blank playoff jumpers. I have always liked Artest, but in all reality, he is not even an average player at this point. His offense is so bad, it actually has started to offset his defense.

Ariza didn't guard Wade, Melo, Pierce, Ginobili, Lebron, or any of those guys. Kobe was option 1 and Luke and Rad would take the stud SFs before him.

11pts, 4rebs, 3asts, and 1 steal in 33 minutes while shooting 41% from the field and 35% from the 3 point line isn't an average player?

Artest shoots better from the floor than Ariza last year during the regular season everywhere except in the paint. He guards primary scoring options better and for longer by himself than Ariza, yet he is the downgrade because the team has had no SF to spell him all season long with Luke being hurt.

Did you watch him this year, or are you basing that on the W-L column while ignoring that the Lakers didn't have injuries last year besides Bynum and Farmar like they have had this year to Fisher, Kobe, Ron, Lamar, Pau, Drew, Jordan, Shannon, Sasha, and SJ; that Ariza was in his second year in the triangle after being taught the offense by Tex Winters personally while sitting most of his first year with a foot injury; that the LA coaching staff as a whole is significantly short handed with Tex, Kareem, and Rambis all gone this year as full time members?

kblo247
04-19-2010, 11:17 PM
Wrong. one he can no longer be disregarded because he just blows by players. Like he did to your lakers when they tried to play off him last time they played each other. and im the biggest d-will fan and feel hes the pg in the nba but ive seen multiple times rondo outplay him and paul for that matter. and last years playoffs showed how much he outplayed rose

That game in Boston? Kobe played off of him and he did jack ****. Shannon and Jordan pressed him and got burned which I still don't understand why they did it.

I'm not saying he isn't good at what he does just that he hasn't improved his weaknesses on man D and shooting the ball respectably yet. That to me stops me from saying 11mil is a fair rate, but I concede that into today's NBA the PG and C position as a whole get overpaid when guys show a semblance of a traditional skill set.

gattaca
04-19-2010, 11:20 PM
Jarrett Jack 5 years, 25 mil (or something like that)

kblo247
04-19-2010, 11:21 PM
injuries are fun.
Artest is horrendous offensively, and the reason doesnt matter. Only the results do. He stands upright many nights on defense, he literally has had the worst offensive year he has had forever, and doesn't rebound like he did. Blame it on whatever you like. Facts are facts

1 less rebound with Kobe, Lamar, Pau, and Bynum who all rebound well for their positions. Can you name a better rebounding foursome to compete with for any SF? Ron shot worse from the field in Houston while granted he shot better from the 3. Also, he isn't the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th option on a team that won a title and got to back to back finals so expecting him to shoot or score as much is just silly. Can you actually point out those many nights outside of say the month of January? You also ducked the name someone better in the NBA currently at that price.

Beltrans Mole
04-19-2010, 11:45 PM
how the hell is rajon rondo at 11 mil per year a steal? get that **** outta here homer.

clehmun
04-19-2010, 11:46 PM
warriors have some of the best contracts.

reggie williams make 162K
cartier martin made 49K

LOL feels good to know i make more than some NBA players.

B.JenningsMVP
04-19-2010, 11:51 PM
Kobe

NYK_kidd77
04-19-2010, 11:54 PM
Homer pick Wilson Chandler.

kblo247
04-19-2010, 11:55 PM
Kobe

For Buss's pockets ****ing right.

Still the franchise making a profit with the highest payroll and in general Kobe has made more money for Buss than Shaq, Magic, Kareem, and the like.

You can say Buss went from Inglewood to Hollywood thanks to him.

---
Still siding with Ginobili though and his current contract because of the Spurs fan demographics and his talent level.

GrumpyOldMan
04-20-2010, 07:36 AM
I know he's getting up there in age and he has limitations, but I love what Grant Hill brings to The Suns for the money he makes ($3mil).