PDA

View Full Version : The NBA has a chance to get back to "being great" in 2010

Boston Faithful
04-19-2010, 02:10 AM
As much as small market team fans won't like the point being made, the possibilities of the 2010 offseason probably have David Stern very anxious.

In 1997-98, they had Michael Jordan on top of the NBA world. They pulled a 22.3 Nielson rating that year in Jordan's "last game". Heck, Pacers vs. Bulls in the Eastern Conference Finals that year got something like a 18.9 for one of the games. Nowadays, Kobe's Lakers are pulling in the 8's and 9's for the Finals. Jordan made basketball popular and then left, erasing alot of it's fanbase. They may never reach the height they were once at with Jordan, but 2010 is a chance to get back to a much higher level with excitement and fanbase. It's a chance to build up it's own huge fanbase much like the NFL has. It's the lesser of the leagues between football, baseball and basketball.

In the past decade we've seen small market teams rule basketball like San Antonio and Cleveland. San Antonio and Detroit had a stinker in 2005. In 2007, Cleveland vs. San Antonio got the worst Finals ratings ever with a 6.2. A 6.2. That's almost a fourth of Jordan's rating and a third of that Eastern Conference Finals. Small market teams have proven to not be draws. Regular season ratings have went down substantially.

Put LeBron and Bosh in New York, Wade (re-signing) and Amare in Miami and Joe Johnson in Chicago and things drastically change. Fresh matchups, the big markets making the big money and a total change in who the top teams are.

You have New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Chicago, Orlando and (older) Boston & Dallas teams on the top of the league. Most importantly LeBron in New York will get the league much more revenue and ratings than LeBron staying in Cleveland for the rest of his career.

Fans will be excited again. As much as I hate to say it, imagine the ratings for a New York Knicks vs. Los Angeles Lakers Finals next year if LeBron was in New York. I would think the ratings could pop to a 14 or 15. That's just not going to happen with LeBron in Cleveland and big stars in San Antonio, Toronto, Phoenix, Atlanta and Cleveland. Imagine a Wade and Amare tandem going up against the Lakers or LeBron and Bosh's Knicks. The Knicks-Heat rivalry could be renewed, which would do WONDERS for the NBA. The Bulls would also be a top team again, something missed since Jordan went away. An improved, prime Rose and Johnson would be a lethal combination. For basketball to reach great heights again, the big stars need to be in the big, popular cities.

To close off my post, let's look at clean hard facts. Small market teams kill the NBA. In the pre-Jordan era/pre-Celtic and Laker dynasty era ratings for the Washington Bullets-Seattle Sonics Finals in 1978 and 1979 were near what they are now, pathetic levels. The big market teams in Boston, Los Angeles, Philly and Houston spiked the ratings in the Finals. Then Jordan came along and brought it to all-time highs. When Jordan retired, even though the ratings took a nose-dive, you still had the Knicks to the Finals in 1998 and then the Los Angeles dynasty for three years. Ratings were still typically high for today's standards, even for the Eastern and Western Conference Finals. Then San Antonio came along and killed the NBA. The ratings plummeted in 2003 for Spurs vs. Nets, in 2005 for Spurs vs. Pistons and they really were killed in 2007 for Spurs vs. Cavs. Do you really want a repeat process for the NBA over the next ten years with their biggest star in a small, pathetic city?

EDIT: And one more point to make in response to a poster. It's not about "true" NBA fans watching the sport, it's about what will bring the masses. Every TV show or sport has their "true" fans. But true fans aren't going to bring worldwide recognition, excitement and success. Pro wrestling has their "true" fanbase after the masses stopped watching in the early 2000's. Look where that's got them. It's ALL about bringing the masses.

heathonater
04-19-2010, 02:13 AM
true nba fans will watch the finals no matter what size of the market the teams are in the finals.

NetsPaint
04-19-2010, 02:23 AM
true nba fans will watch the finals no matter what size of the market the teams are in the finals.

Agreed.

abe_froman
04-19-2010, 02:30 AM

yes but there are only so many true nba fans,not enough to sustain profitability or ratings with(sorry,its true)

every team and leagues(mlb,nfl,ect.) growth cant be gotten by the guys that are already there..that are always there,its about getting the casuals to come in.true fans,die hards are great but thats not where the money's made

sportswhisper
04-19-2010, 02:34 AM
yes but there are only so many true nba fans,not enough to sustain profitability or ratings with(sorry,its true)

every team and leagues(mlb,nfl,ect.) growth cant be gotten by the guys that are already there..that are always there,its about getting the casuals to come in

Completely agree. It's about reaching the casual masses because how many there are. Slight interest and lots of ppl > fanaticism and few ppl

NetsPaint
04-19-2010, 02:34 AM
They could start with making the actual games better by cutting out all these touch fouls.

majestic
04-19-2010, 02:35 AM
They could start with making the actual games better by cutting out all these touch fouls.

nah then refs cant decide who is gonna win the game, sterns master plan

Kingz4L
04-19-2010, 02:39 AM
I dont really care about all this, not my problem all I want to watch is two best teams playing in the finals..i dont care who it is....I bet if the Cavs or Magic against Nuggets or Mavs could make a great finals.

abe_froman
04-19-2010, 02:39 AM
Completely agree. It's about reaching the casual masses because how many there are. Slight interest and lots of ppl > fanaticism and few ppl
but we're true fans and see through the eyes of fandom,so i dont expect people to get it from the purely business/viewership share side of things

completely agree with this.people want to see basketball game,the flow and excitement ;not whistles and ft ball

Duncan = Donkey
04-19-2010, 03:01 AM
The NBA will never be great again, its turned into a gimmick.

_KB24_
04-19-2010, 03:28 AM
I LOL'd when you said "in the past decade we've seen small market teams rule basketball like...Cleveland. "

:laugh:

ChiSox219
04-19-2010, 05:19 AM
The NBA is getting there, this first round is already looking nice. The Heat-Celtics game reminded me of a 90s Eastern match up a la Knicks vs Heat. The Thunder and Bulls both recovered games that could've been 25 point blowouts and I think we'll see each team avoid sweeps. I think the Spurs-Mavs series will be a battle the rest of the way.

Nuggets-Lakers is going to be a spectacular series. Can't wait for Cavs v Magic if that moment comes. I hope to see Spurs-Suns but that looks less likely after tonight.

I tuned out of the Cavs-Spurs series after Game 1 and I'm sure I was not the only "true" NBA fan to do so.

GspLAL
04-19-2010, 05:49 AM

That has nothing to do with it, he's talking about ratings and the league making more money. I'm pretty sure the true NBA fans are in the minority when it comes to ratings. Plus there could possibly be a lockout so things might change for the worse.

GspLAL
04-19-2010, 05:50 AM
Also, a reason why I don't think the NBA would go back to what it used to be in the 90s is because the sports integrity is being questioned more than ever with referees.

kingkenny01
04-19-2010, 07:20 AM
it not market size that matters it the match
get kobe vs. lebron this year rating will skyrocket

Hawkeye15
04-19-2010, 07:49 AM
As a Wolves fan, I would obviously rather see stars picking TEAMS over cities, but I also understand that isn't always the reality. I will also say, if the Wolves continue their streak for getting screwed by the closed doors lottery drawing yet again, it will continue pushing me away from the NBA. I love basketball, but something isn't right when Chicago, the Clippers, and various other teams beat the odds continuously, while Minnesota has failed to move up over their draft position not once. Something is going on.
If all the stars go to big markets, I will probably start watching less and less over the years. I now know why my dad, who loved the NBA in the 80's, could care less today

avrpatsfan
04-19-2010, 08:26 AM

This. But there are only so many "true" NBA fans out there.

Hellcrooner
04-19-2010, 11:01 AM
the nba would be great agan if thre stoped to be rigged calls for stars.

You are a star then prove it.

Also a more team oriented marketing instead of Star oriented one would help a lot.

As a matter of fact in Soccer the finals of champions league ALWayS have big audiences no matter who is playing or if the tears have "stars" or not.

sunnydayin'zona
04-19-2010, 11:25 AM
i think contention teams in phoenix and toronto would be very good, they have some of the largest media markets in the nba, actually. and smaller market team rivalries do have very good ratings, take the spurs and suns for example, these games yield very good ratings.

cmstophe
04-19-2010, 04:07 PM
The only problem is the Knicks would still suck even if they had LeBron. They'd just get punked by the Magic every year. LOL.

So, no. I hope all the stars stay where they are.

RapOZo
04-19-2010, 04:28 PM
true,
but what about investors?
where are the profits?
so only that "true nba fans" group gonna fill that audience rating needed to make those profits to pay everyone's salaries?

heathonater
04-19-2010, 04:59 PM
another point ill make is that part of the reason ratings have been down in past years is that some teams were not exciting for fans to watch. yea, having big market teams win alot might bring more viewers in, but the star players will bring fans to the stadium and tv no matter where they are playing. im pretty sure a denver and cleveland series, both mid sized markets, would draw good ratings becuase of the melo and lebron match up. the point is that the type of players on the nba finals teams help determine hwo many fans outside of those teams will watch the game.