PDA

View Full Version : Miller/Camby.....Blazers lucked out.

soonabooma
04-19-2010, 01:38 AM
It's time to quit talking about the injuries that Portland has had this year, becuz they've got something that most teams in the league don't have. They've got two veterans that are playing at a high enough level to allow them to fight through the injuries. Seriously, what Andre Miller and Marcus Camby have done for that team is pretty amazing. People keep wondering how the Blazers are able to keep on fighting and playing well, and the answer is pretty simple....it's these two guys. Obviously, they've got other talent, and McMillan is doing a good job, but take these two guys out of the equation, and they wouldn't be where they are.

GSW Hoops
04-19-2010, 01:41 AM
For years, people have been saying how deep Portland is. Well, they're showing it now.

They've lost their two C's and Brandon Roy...that's 3 huge components. But they acquired Camby, still have Aldridge and Miller and a heck of a lot of good role players. Plus, they seem to be well-coached and play hard every night.

Never discount a 50-win team.

MattColby
04-19-2010, 01:47 AM
Blazers lucked out? Keep thinking that. It wasn't luck, this team is money.

soonabooma
04-19-2010, 01:50 AM
For years, people have been saying how deep Portland is. Well, they're showing it now.

They've lost their two C's and Brandon Roy...that's 3 huge components. But they acquired Camby, still have Aldridge and Miller and a heck of a lot of good role players. Plus, they seem to be well-coached and play hard every night.

Never discount a 50-win team.

Exactly, that's my whole point. They've been building this team for a good 4-5 years and stockpiling talent. When you're down for a few years, that's what happens. That's why we have Durant, Westbrook, Green, and Harden. Portland is a very deep team now, and the additions of Miller and Camby pretty much allow them to continue playing and not miss a beat. Obviously, Roy is their best player and you always want your best player healthy for big games, but they've got plenty of guys capable of stepping up right now. It shows just how deep they really are with actual contributors when they can continue playing at a high level against good teams and get alot of Ws.

GSW Hoops
04-19-2010, 01:52 AM
Exactly, that's my whole point. They've been building this team for a good 4-5 years and stockpiling talent. When you're down for a few years, that's what happens. That's why we have Durant, Westbrook, Green, and Harden. Portland is a very deep team now, and the additions of Miller and Camby pretty much allow them to continue playing and not miss a beat. Obviously, Roy is their best player and you always want your best player healthy for big games, but they've got plenty of guys capable of stepping up right now. It shows just how deep they really are with actual contributors when they can continue playing at a high level against good teams and get alot of Ws.

So Portland "lucked out" by drafting and acquiring really good players and hiring a really good head coach?

BradyIsTheMan12
04-19-2010, 01:53 AM
WTF is your title about? You detail why we can still play good but have to throw in we lucked out..Luck had nothing to do with tonight

Shady66
04-19-2010, 01:55 AM
It had nothing to do with luck. Portland played great tonight, locked Amare down, and made a lot of hustle plays. They wanted it more than the Suns tonight.

Lakersfan2483
04-19-2010, 01:56 AM
Portland has a very deep team and they are well coached, it's not surprising how well they are perfoming despite having so many injuries to key players. Also, as the op mentioned, they have very good players in terms of Miller, Camby, and Aldridge which is still enough to compete at a high level. They also have a collection of solid role players in Fernandez, Batum, Webster and Bayless who all do a great job of understanding their roles and playing hard every game.

Ansy
04-19-2010, 01:58 AM
Weird title, but your actual post is spot on.

The Miller and Camby acquisitions were so money. These guys have given the Blazers exactly what they needed to keep competing.

SF25
04-19-2010, 02:02 AM
Lol we definitely didn't "luck out". Portland fans know we are one of the deepest team's in the NBA and we showed it to the entire nation this season with all the injuries we had and especially in game 1 of the playoffs with our star player injured. You don't "luck out" in 50+ games.

heathonater
04-19-2010, 02:02 AM
title is misleading. portland has shown this year that they can beat good teams without roy playing. pritchard has done a great job in drafting as well as bringing veteran players to help this young team get better. what miller and camby have done this year has been great. even juwan howard has provided alot of good minutes for prior to the camby trade.

ElMarroAfamado
04-19-2010, 02:03 AM
haha props warriors fans
EVERYONE
was counting out you guys after Roy was lost for the playoffs....now that they won game 1
look how people are backtracking?
haha

ElFuturoDeESPN
04-19-2010, 02:05 AM
Yeah, I was kind of questioning the title, but your post seemed pretty spot-on.
Dre and The Canby Man give Portland something this team has been needing through it's years of rebuilding, two playoff tested veterans who know when to step it up.

Canby was absolute beasting tonight and Miller was en fuego, luck had nothing to do with it. The skill of Kevin Pritchard and his master dealings have quite a bit to do with it.

And to think.. this dude was on the hot seat earlier this season? Pfffffffftt.

BradyIsTheMan12
04-19-2010, 02:06 AM
haha props warriors fans
EVERYONE
was counting out you guys after Roy was lost for the playoffs....now that they won game 1
look how people are backtracking?
haha

It is amazing when that happens, people can change their minds awfully fast.

blackjack_119
04-19-2010, 02:09 AM

The only Blazers who were on the roster 5 years ago are Joel Przybilla and Martell Webster (whom they traded Deron Williams for.) Why don't you re-name this thread what it should be titled "Will my team (OKC) sign a veteran or two this summer after getting swept this playoffs" Fortunately for you, the answer is almost assuredly "Yes."

Fins4Life
04-19-2010, 02:10 AM
Were taking this series in 6-7 , dont be suprised if we take game two and get greedy!

NINER/BLAZER
04-19-2010, 02:10 AM
It's time to quit talking about the injuries that Portland has had this year, becuz they've got something that most teams in the league don't have. They've got two veterans that are playing at a high enough level to allow them to fight through the injuries. Seriously, what Andre Miller and Marcus Camby have done for that team is pretty amazing. People keep wondering how the Blazers are able to keep on fighting and playing well, and the answer is pretty simple....it's these two guys. Obviously, they've got other talent, and McMillan is doing a good job, but take these two guys out of the equation, and they wouldn't be where they are.

Very true. Just like with your thunder, take durant out of the equation and you wouldnt even be close to 40 wins which = no playoffs. Way to state the obvious:clap:

soonabooma
04-19-2010, 02:12 AM
Blazers lucked out? Keep thinking that. It wasn't luck, this team is money.

But nobody knew just how big Miller and Camby were gonna be for them.

Jason5Kidd5
04-19-2010, 02:12 AM

Why did you create this thread? Because they beat Phoenix in game 1? Then why not put this in the playoff match up thread ALREADY created?

You just wanted to make sure more people read your stupid comment. If you go to the appropriate thread already made, I even spoke extremely positively about Portland.

Can someone delete this thread and/or move it to the Suns/Blazers match-up thread?

SF25
04-19-2010, 02:13 AM
Were taking this series in 6-7 , dont be suprised if we take game two and get greedy!

Meh, not that I don't believe we can win game 2 but my prediction is the Suns win. I think for sure we'll win games 3 and 4 at home though which should seal the series.

BradyIsTheMan12
04-19-2010, 02:14 AM

Blazer fans did. The rest of the nation just needed to catch up.

Kingz4L
04-19-2010, 02:14 AM
If they beat the suns will they have roy back for the mavs/spurs series?

SF25
04-19-2010, 02:16 AM

Word is we will. The surgery is only keeping him out 1 week, 2 at the most. So he should be back to play all, if not most, of round 2.

Kingz4L
04-19-2010, 02:18 AM
Word is we will. The surgery is only keeping him out 1 week, 2 at the most. So he should be back to play all, if not most, of round 2.

I hope you guys get him back if you advance, im pullin for you guys...your the only ones in the west who can really match up well with the lakers (nuggets too)

soonabooma
04-19-2010, 02:19 AM
When I said they lucked out, I just meant that the Miller experiment worked out well for them, and the acquisition of Camby proved to be a good move. So yes, they did luck out a little bit. Any team that loses young stars will go through some tough times and lose a little swagger, no matter who it is. But those two guys have pretty much canceled out any injuries they've sustained this year. It's true. So don't cry about it. I mentioned how deep they are, and that they are well coached. They've got some really good players and they've become a very good team. But don't cry just becuz I said they lucked out with Miller and Camby, becuz it's a true statement. Does anybody need any kleenex?

blackjack_119
04-19-2010, 02:21 AM

2-4 weeks is the recovery time for his surgery, so it is possible that he could come back for the second round. Another story that doesn't get much attention (since it is a long shot) is that Oden could be back if Portland wins in the second round.

Lakers vs completely healthy Blazers would be a great series.

Kingz4L
04-19-2010, 02:27 AM
2-4 weeks is the recovery time for his surgery, so it is possible that he could come back for the second round. Another story that doesn't get much attention (since it is a long shot) is that Oden could be back if Portland wins in the second round.

nah i think you guys would have enough players to challenge the lakers and possibly beat them...with roy and oden back..whats even more exiting is you guys play well with the mavs too...man you guys could have a cindarella type of story...good luck in game 2...its going to be crazy in portland in game 3...cant wait

sportswhisper
04-19-2010, 02:32 AM
No way - Blazers had this in the bag. All teams have their vets that are staples.

ldc62
04-19-2010, 02:37 AM
So Portland "lucked out" by drafting and acquiring really good players and hiring a really good head coach?

Dont use luck, draft and good in the same sentence involving Portland. I have never seen such terrible draft luck... but hey, at least Bowie was good.

soonabooma
04-19-2010, 02:41 AM
Dont use luck, draft and good in the same sentence involving Portland. I have never seen such terrible draft luck... but hey, at least Bowie was good.

True, but pretty much every team has their share of draft busts. They've got a good core now with guys like Roy, Aldridge, Bayless, etc.

BradyIsTheMan12
04-19-2010, 02:52 AM

I would be absolutely shocked if that happens. But like you said it's a long shot.

Sadds The Gr8
04-19-2010, 02:58 AM
What? How does that mean they lucked out? Using that logic, LA is lucky Bynum got hurt in 08 or they wouldnt have gotten Gasol. Also, Boston is lucky they got KG and Ray Allen in the same offseason. Hell, Cleveland is lucky because they drafted Lebron...

:eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow:

soonabooma
04-19-2010, 03:10 AM
I'm just saying, they have a pretty unique situation where they bring in a guy like Miller and then Camby, and those guys play at the level that they've been playing at. Anybody who has watched this team play knows just how much those guys have done.

Ansy
04-19-2010, 03:52 AM
Yeah, Camby and Miller deserve a lot of credit for the way that Portland's playing, just no question about it. Miller was the best player on the court tonight. Without him the Blazers don't win.

Camby has also done a fantastic Job, although his performance at this level was much more expected than Miller's. He's been blocking shots and hoovering in rebounds for his whole career.

valade16
04-19-2010, 04:02 AM

It sounds like a fun matchup but you have to take into account that Oden and Roy have to work their way into the gameplan again.

Not so much Roy (though their will be a slight adjustment period again with Roy dominating the ball control), but Oden has to learn in the middle of a high stakes playoff series how to mesh with Camby down low and how to play with Miller again.

So it's not like we'd be on full potential, our chemistry issues could hurt us in such a small amount of games against teams as tough as the West this year...

heathonater
04-19-2010, 04:53 AM
no way oden comes back this year. i havent even heard of him running or jumping lately, so it would be pretty far fetched to say he will play in the playoffs if portland advances. plus i dont think portland wants to rush oden back and risk another injury.

xbrackattackx
04-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Why did you create this thread? Because they beat Phoenix in game 1? Then why not put this in the playoff match up thread ALREADY created?

You just wanted to make sure more people read your stupid comment. If you go to the appropriate thread already made, I even spoke extremely positively about Portland.

Can someone delete this thread and/or move it to the Suns/Blazers match-up thread?

I think it's cute when new posters get bossy ;)

There is nothing wrong with this thread, Half of the "Blazer" fans were screaming from the top of a mountain to trade A. Miller all season. And now him and Camby are showing their worth. Congrats on your win tonight! Suns and Phx or Dallas and SA were my favorite games of the weekend.

MattColby
04-19-2010, 11:32 AM

Blazers fans did. We've watched them all year.

ballpd05
04-19-2010, 11:39 AM
I think Oden and Pryzbilla getting hurt may have been a blessing because it made them bring in Camby, who in my opinion is better than both of them.

I think this is quality GM work as well as quality coaching. I like the way Portland has been managed and wish my team had a GM who made moves like this... Although trading Deron Williams for Martell Webster wasn't to bright in hindsight, but regardless they put out a quality team who I think would be a legit contender if Roy was playing.

Stay_Swim
04-19-2010, 11:56 AM

:mad:

Are you ****ing serious man! All this stuff to talk about and the only thing you can do is ***** and moan about how this isn't in the Suns/Blazers thread! Shut up! If that really all you can contribute to PSD, find a new hobby, nobody wants to come on here and find a million little comments from a 13 year old *****ing and moaning about how they have to move there ****ing finger two inches further to click the title of this thread! Get over it!

If you really don't have anything constructive to say in this thread, then why waste everyone elses time and space, to make an uneducated post like that. Jesus give me a break.

Now back to the actual point of this thread...:facepalm:

Portland did not LUCK out as your title proclaims, they made all the right moves, getting Camby, and aquiring Miller in the off-season. Not to mention with a great coach like Nate McMillan, it doesn't suprise me that Portland won 50 games. I would say this series is really a toss up between who plays better each night.

shen
04-19-2010, 03:09 PM
The doctors have said given how the surgery went that Roy will be ready to go in 1-2 weeks. So if we get past the suns he will be good to go, especially if the series goes 7, which would give him as much time as possible.

jimbobjarree
04-19-2010, 03:15 PM
As a Jazz fan I definitely take heart from that impressive Portland victory, how to do things with injuries. Its true they have those two whiley vets though, Our oldest player is Carlos Boozer at 28

Kakaroach
04-19-2010, 06:06 PM
I've said for what seems like forever: Andre Miller is one of the most, if not the most, under-rated player in the NBA. I knew he was gonna have a chance to shine after Roy went down.

Tblaze
04-19-2010, 06:17 PM
And Camby should be re-signed shortly :D:D:D

Bishnoff
04-19-2010, 06:47 PM
Aside from Portland (as a team) playing yet another great game against the Suns, I think the fact that Miller outplayed Nash, and Camby outplayed Amar’e is more amazing than the win itself. If asked the question, the majority of people would say that both Nash & Amar’e are better players than these opponents, but Miller & Camby got it done last night. Credit should be given to both these guys and the Portland coaching staff for nullifying STAT and revealing Nash’s defensive deficiencies (yet again).