PDA

View Full Version : Some Positives So Far...

Guy Montag
04-18-2010, 08:08 PM
I'm making myself do this in order to brainwash myself into thinking we didn't just lose a home series to one of the worst teams in the majors...

Geo looks like his '08 self rather than his '09 self. That's huge for this team.

Dempster and Silva have looked strong. Silva, actually, more than Dempster, but I'm assuming some major regression's coming soon (with his current ERA, how could it not?).

The Baker/Fontenot platoon is looking better than I thought it would.

DLee, overall, appears headed for another strong year. Of course, I thought he was going to drill himself into the ground like Superman today, but I did enjoy the aggression.

I like Marlon Byrd. His numbers aren't great, obviously, but he's had some timely hits in a year when the hits haven't been at all timely (thus far).

Fukudome continues to produce better numbers than people get him credit for.

Randy Wells is still hungry and still good.

What am I missing? Or, if you want, tell me to shut the heck up with my positivity on a day when we're all feeling frustrated.

ggross
04-18-2010, 08:31 PM
The weather's been kinda nice so far...

Mell413
04-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Cardinals aren't running away with the division. Mets have bases loaded with no one out vs the cards right now.

Milnertime
04-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Marshall has done really well, despite giving up a few runs lately.

Marmol hasn't had major control issues, and despite blowing the game today, he has pitched pretty well.

ggross
04-18-2010, 08:39 PM
Cardinals aren't running away with the division. Mets have bases loaded with no one out vs the cards right now.

3-0 Mets.

ggross
04-18-2010, 10:18 PM
Cubs haven't been swept yet...

croce_99
04-19-2010, 12:12 AM
Cubs haven't been swept yet...

But losing 2 out of 3 to the worst team in the majors is worse than getting swept by any other team.

captainatheism
04-19-2010, 01:40 AM
our only real problem is the bullpen. But it's a big ****ing problem. I really like our team outside of that

ty_smitty21
04-19-2010, 01:46 AM
Everything gets amplified at the beginning of a season. Right now, the Cards have won every series, while the Cubs have lost 3 of 4 series... a few of them to the Reds and Astros.

There are some positive signs with this team. But yes.. the bullpen has got to change, or the wins will not. I really thought Caridad would be the real deal in the 8th inning. The Guzman injury is just killing us. Even Grabow, who didn't lose a single game all of last season, has been awful, and has lost 2 games. Marshall and Marmol have been great, but they won't be good every time out. We need to acquire a couple arms.. I just hope by the time trade talk heats up, we aren't out of it.

If things go the Cubs way and the pen gets figured out.. I could see this team making a run at 90 wins. IF everything works out. The Cards will surpass that if they stay healthy.. but 90 wins could be a wild card berth. Let's try to stay somewhat positive and hope for a much better road trip this time around.

Ron!n
04-19-2010, 02:31 AM
Soriano has been pretty good offensively. Colvin hasnt been too bad and Nady has been pretty awesome.

Captain Obvious
04-19-2010, 03:25 AM
Everything gets amplified at the beginning of a season. Right now, the Cards have won every series, while the Cubs have lost 3 of 4 series... a few of them to the Reds and Astros.

There are some positive signs with this team. But yes.. the bullpen has got to change, or the wins will not. I really thought Caridad would be the real deal in the 8th inning. The Guzman injury is just killing us. Even Grabow, who didn't lose a single game all of last season, has been awful, and has lost 2 games. Marshall and Marmol have been great, but they won't be good every time out. We need to acquire a couple arms.. I just hope by the time trade talk heats up, we aren't out of it.

If things go the Cubs way and the pen gets figured out.. I could see this team making a run at 90 wins. IF everything works out. The Cards will surpass that if they stay healthy.. but 90 wins could be a wild card berth. Let's try to stay somewhat positive and hope for a much better road trip this time around.

You are using W-L for a pitcher? But not just a pitcher, a relief pitcher!

Milnertime
04-19-2010, 03:28 AM
He's using Loss record. He never mentioned wins.

Not sure if that makes any difference, just pointing it out.

Ron!n
04-19-2010, 04:04 AM
You do know its not that big of a deal every time someone uses W-L records?

Sure its not a good way to judge a pitcher but he still got his point across...

Ron!n
04-19-2010, 04:06 AM
He's using Loss record. He never mentioned wins.

Not sure if that makes any difference, just pointing it out.
Wouldnt Loss records for a relief pitcher be somewhat more accurate than those of a starter?

The chances of a relief pitcher getting the loss due to no fault of his own is probably alot less than a starter, seeing as a starter pitches to so many more batters?

Milnertime
04-19-2010, 04:47 AM
Wouldnt Loss records for a relief pitcher be somewhat more accurate than those of a starter?

The chances of a relief pitcher getting the loss due to no fault of his own is probably alot less than a starter, seeing as a starter pitches to so many more batters?
I'd have to say so.

If a pitcher enters a game with a lead and then gets the loss, it means he is the one that blew it, outside of errors and the like.

I'd say a worse thing would be using ERA for a reliever than W-L record. We saw evidence for that all the time when Dempster was a closer. He'd do really well and then have an absolutely terrible game giving up 5 plus runs. Given the small amount of innings a reliever pitches, one bad outing can make a reliever look a lot worse than they really are.

Marmol has a 1.35 ERA this year but a .48 FIP. His one bad outing today makes him look worse than he's actually pitched.

Jilly Bohnson
04-19-2010, 01:40 PM
But losing 2 out of 3 to the worst team in the majors is worse than getting swept by any other team.

In spite of their awful start, I'd still be hard pressed to say the Astros are the worst team in the league. They're in the discussion, but they're not clearly worse than the Pirates, Padres, or Royals. Especially considering the two games we lost were to very good pitchers. I mean if we lost 2 out of 3 in a series where we got to face Norris, Myers, and Paulino it'd be one thing, but we lost to their two legit pitchers, and one of those on a day where our pitcher got knocked out in the third by a freak play.

BDawk4Prez
04-19-2010, 01:50 PM
The fact that Aaron Miles and MB are no longer on the roster are positives.

man man
04-19-2010, 03:00 PM
The fact that Aaron Miles and MB are no longer on the roster are positives.

YES!

Our Starters have for them ost part looked sharp, and it's been good to see our guys coming back late in games and not giving up.

Tehjosha
04-19-2010, 04:52 PM
We have been able to share 5 Victory Hugs thus far.

Ron!n
04-19-2010, 05:13 PM
I wonder how Soriano feels. :sad2:

ggross
04-19-2010, 05:39 PM

Better record than the Boston Red Sox
Red Sox are more than twice as far out of first place.
Better record than the White Sox
White Sox are twice as far out of first place

ggross
04-19-2010, 05:45 PM
Cubs longest losing streak is ONLY 2 games. Keep it there for the whole year and they are almost a lock to make the playoffs!

ggross
04-19-2010, 06:37 PM
None of the players have called me a racist yet.

croce_99
04-21-2010, 12:12 AM
Cubs longest losing streak is ONLY 2 games. Keep it there for the whole year and they are almost a lock to make the playoffs!

There goes that idea :sigh:

BDawk4Prez
04-21-2010, 10:56 AM
Well look at the bright side.

:moon: