PDA

View Full Version : Detroit pistons

ldawg
04-18-2010, 12:19 PM
Detroit Pistons should fire Joe Dumors, he has made some huge mistakes. Why would you trade Billips for AI? Why would you not draft Carmelo? Why would you fire a coach that won you the championship? Why would you let both Wallaces walk for nothing in return? If you did all that why don't this team has and up the coming superstar? Why is Prince and or Hamilton not traded for high draft picks or young talent? Where is this team headed?

tdunk21
04-18-2010, 12:21 PM
pistons forum....

ManRam
04-18-2010, 12:36 PM
Blaming him for taking Darko is easy in hindsight. At the time, it didn't seem too bad.

But last off-season was a mess. Trading Chauncey completely backfired. The money they freed up moving him went to two overpaid average players (BG and CV). They aren't going anywhere anytime soon, and if he refuses to blow it all up this off-season or next year, I'd axe him without a doubt.

The[chi][town]
04-18-2010, 12:36 PM
headed for a new city

RadiantShot
04-18-2010, 12:38 PM
Trading Chauncey Billups was probably one of the stupidest franchise moves, IF not, the stupidest.

ManRam
04-18-2010, 12:42 PM
Wow Radi, nice sig ;)

Weird that we have the same one...

kozelkid
04-18-2010, 01:03 PM
I think the Chauncey trade is overblown. What isn't is the fact that he wasted the money they got from that trade on players like Gordon and Villanueva who is plain garbage. Personally I think Dumars simply got too cocky. It worked the first time when he made a team out of "outcasts". But he thought he could do it again. And well... failed. He won't get fired anytime soon cause he's like a God to that franchise. But imo, he should.

TheDetroitBlue
04-18-2010, 01:03 PM
[town];12978796']headed for a new city

um..., no, pretty much whats going to happen is that the pistons are going to most likely be bought by the Illitch Family, (same ones who own the Tigers, and Wings) and thus bring them to Downtown Detroit to share a new arena with the Redwings sometime in the future, this of course is speculation, but it makes sense and it has been mentioned in the Free Press

verdell1978
04-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Dumars has obviously shown that he is not the great GM everyone thought he was. I mean come on Charlie Villanueva (a sixth man at best) and Gordon ( an effective but undersized SG)?. You never trade the floor general ( Billups) especially one as effective as Billups. You build around them. (Could you imagine if Phoenix traded Nash?) he could've got something for Rasheed( late or future draft picks and we all know those picks have a strange way of being useful down the line. He got lucky with the playoff teams he had and now he's showing that those moves were just good luck moves. He's terrible and he's probably going to overpay for a few more bums.

OaklandsFinest
04-18-2010, 01:19 PM
I think the biggest mistake was the flip saunders fiasco you needed a defensive minded coach to get the most out of that group. They are not that far off from winning, move RIP, let them win the lottery and sign a big man they are eastern favs

a_dub06
04-18-2010, 01:31 PM
Joe D will forever be an icon to the pistons but his legacy to the team is definitly being tarnished i think with the decisions hes made as a gm. As a life time pistons fan i dont think i can really say what i found more offensive the fact chauncey was traded or milicic at #2 but i think in retrospect the milicic drafting.... Joe d wasted it but at the time the idea of blowing up the entire team and trading away billups for iverson to provide cap relief wasnt such a bad idea considering we thought we were gonna get a perenial young star out of it this summer. But with the milicic thing even back then it was obvious to almost everyone that hes a waste of a number 2 espeically with carmleo, wade and bosh all players behind him which have now prooved they are wirth at least 5 of him. All i can say is if god really loves us well get the #1 pick somehow but if not at least please joe d use that thing u call a brain n get whiteside if we pick at 6th :D :D :D

JasonJohnHorn
04-18-2010, 01:34 PM
I agree that Joe Dumars has made mistakes. Darko, as others have pointed out, is a hindsight thing. He has drafted well generally speaking (Prince, Amri Johnson, Jason Maxiell, Okur, and the guys they picked up this season- all of those guys play pretty well considering how low the picks were).

As for drafting Melo or Wade, Detroit had a solid starting line up on the wing/back court. They had Prince, Hamilton and Billups. The draft pick that would have made more sense is Bosh. Having a solid young power forward coming off the bench to spot an aging front court would have been more help, and if he developed than Wallace and McDysse could share center.

As for letting Wallace and Wallace go for nothing: Dumars wanted to sign Wallace, but I Davidson (the owner) didnt want to shell out the money. And Dumars let Okur go because Davidson didnt want to spend the money knowing Big Ben's contract was coming up the next season. They ended up losing both though. As for Sheed, he could have traded him for draft picks last year, but Wallace wasnt returning to Detroit and even if he had the team would not be much better than they are now.

As for the A.I. trade, it was very clear that Detroit was falling behind other teams (like Boston, Orlando, Cleveland and Atlanta) with the roster they had and needed to make a change and clear up cap space.

As for the Larry Borwn firing: he didnt have the same control over the team that he had his first season and he was openly flirting with the idea of working for another team (New York and Cleveland) during the playoffs which acted as a distraction for the team. Firing Brown was a mutual agreement between Brown and the team and needed to get done.

The bigger mistakes I see are; firing Flip Saunders (he did a solid job with that team), hiring Curry was bad (though Dumars did the right thing by giving a former player a shot and letting him go when it was clear that it wasnt working), and his coaching choice for this season does not seem like it worked well.

The biggest mistake is the Ben Gordon and Charlie V. signings. He would have been better off holding on to the cap space for a year and making a splash this season.

As for Hamilton and Prince: he does need to move them. Handing Hamilton and Gordon over to Boston for Ray Allen's expiring contract and draft picks would be a good move, and moving Prince for draft picks or young talent would also work well, but there are all kinds of options for Detroit in terms of making deals. The issue is that Dumars made no moves this year, and the team has been in a free fall all season.

I would give Dumars some latitude for now because has made some great moves, but if Detroit doesnt make moves this offseason and the following season to shed contracts, bring in young talent and make moves for the future, then a change would need to be made in the front office as well as on the roster. But lets give Joe D. another year and see what he pulls out of his hat. He's a smart guy who has made some mistakes, but it'd be a good idea considering all he has done for the organization in the past, to give him some time to correct his mistakes.

abe_froman
04-18-2010, 01:56 PM
I think the Chauncey trade is overblown. What isn't is the fact that he wasted the money they got from that trade on players like Gordon and Villanueva who is plain garbage. Personally I think Dumars simply got too cocky. It worked the first time when he made a team out of "outcasts". But he thought he could do it again. And well... failed. He won't get fired anytime soon cause he's like a God to that franchise. But imo, he should.

i think your oversimplifying it.it wasnt going out and taking a team of outcasts as the formula.he identified players who played hard,where tough defensive players,guys who reminded him of the teams he was on.that was the failing ,bg and charlie are in no way defensive minded,going all out type of players....so i have to question wtf he was thinking

and yes taking darko was ridiculous even back than(remember being in shock that draft night)

td0tsfinest
04-18-2010, 02:01 PM
The guy did orchestra a great Pistons team that brought a title to Detroit.

Lakersfan2483
04-18-2010, 02:13 PM
Detroit Pistons should fire Joe Dumors, he has made some huge mistakes. Why would you trade Billips for AI? Why would you not draft Carmelo? Why would you fire a coach that won you the championship? Why would you let both Wallaces walk for nothing in return? If you did all that why don't this team has and up the coming superstar? Why is Prince and or Hamilton not traded for high draft picks or young talent? Where is this team headed?

I am not sure which direction he's trying to head in as of late? Why sign Villanueva and Gordon to such large contracts? He doesn't seem to have a vision of what he wants from the team and is making bad decisions. He should not have fired Larry Brown and definitely made a huge mistake in terms of trading Billups. He also made a dumb decision in terms of letting Flip Saunders go as coach. He definitely should be in the hot seat right now and the media has been letting him off the hook in terms of not blasting him for his poor decision making....

*His worst decision was drafting Milicic over Carmelo Anthony and Dwayne Wade. How does one make such a poor decision like that? Everyone watching the draft knew it was a terrible decision.

fadedmario
04-18-2010, 04:18 PM
The Detroit Pistons are one of the least talented teams in the NBA. Things have got to change.

ldc62
04-18-2010, 04:55 PM
Darko was not a terrible pick at the time. DWade was suppose to be a 5-10 pick and people questioned whether or not Bosh's body could handle the workload. Also one championship should prevent a GM from getting fired for at least 10 years.

ldc62
04-18-2010, 04:56 PM
PS: Pistons Thread!

JWO35
04-18-2010, 06:49 PM
All Great things have to come to an End....I bet Any Team in the NBA would have killed to be in the position we were in during the Early/Mid 00s(1 Championship, 6 straight Eastern Conference Finals Appearances).

You really didn't think we would remain on Top Forever. Like The Bulls once MJ left, they sucked for awhile and now are supposedly "good" again.

(DET)#1 ALL DAY
04-18-2010, 07:05 PM
Dumars has obviously shown that he is not the great GM everyone thought he was. I mean come on Charlie Villanueva (a sixth man at best) and Gordon ( an effective but undersized SG)?. You never trade the floor general ( Billups) especially one as effective as Billups. You build around them. (Could you imagine if Phoenix traded Nash?) he could've got something for Rasheed( late or future draft picks and we all know those picks have a strange way of being useful down the line. He got lucky with the playoff teams he had and now he's showing that those moves were just good luck moves. He's terrible and he's probably going to overpay for a few more bums.

u dont get lucky 6 years in a row u must be a nets fan. lmao but now its time to blow it up joe d

DengelBerry
04-18-2010, 07:07 PM
Detroit screwed up by getting rid of Chauncey Billups. then picking up Ben Gordon and Charlie V., no big time player this off-season for them.