PDA

View Full Version : School Project

Cubsfan162512
04-17-2010, 04:51 PM
Hey I'm doing a school project on the psychological effects of home advantage in sports and I was wondering if somebody could post a link for what the MLB's home team records and away team records as a collective whole for last year were. Thanks for the help.

redwhitenblue
04-17-2010, 04:54 PM
Just go to any place with the rankings and count it up

Baseball-reference.com
mlb.com
sports.yahoo.com/mlb

I don't think there is one that will collect them all.

BTW, a new study was done, I don't remember by who, that said that the idea of psyhcological home advantage is not that factually backed..

ggross
04-17-2010, 05:13 PM
I don't know what psychological factors or effects you would be considering, but you mostly hear about players feeding off the fans, players being more comfortable in familiar surroundings - including their homes instead of hotels, etc, etc.

I would like to see a study that considers the officiating -- they are probably just as influenced by the crowds as the players are -- maybe more (they probably don't like getting booed or have things thrown at them). For example, if someone gathered some of the most controversial calls of all time in all major sports (quite a task in itself) - would you find that the home team gets those calls. Yogi Berra tagging Jackie Robinson out at home in the World Series, but being called safe - was that at Ebbets Field or Yankee Stadium? Was Dekinger's call in the 1985 WS game 6 at StL or KC? My hypothesis would be that home teams get the majority of questionable calls - but who knows?