PDA

View Full Version : Who is the Best Defensive Team in the NBA?

Swashcuff
04-17-2010, 02:43 PM
We have spoken at length about the best defender so I think its time we debate the best Team Defence.

Top 5 teams in least ppg allowed:

1. Charlotte Bobcats: 93.8
2. Miami Heat: 94.3
3. Portland Trail Blazers: 94.5
4. Orlando Magic: 95.1
5. Boston Celtics: 95.5

Top 5 teams in least FG% allowed:

1. Orlando Magic: .438%
2. Miami Heat: .440%
3. Cleveland Cavaliers: .441%
4. Chicago Bulls: .442%
5. Los Angeles Lakers: .445%

Top 5 teams in DRtg:

1. Charlotte Bobcats: 102.7
2/3. Milwaukee Bucks: 103.0/Orlando Magic: 103.0
4. Boston Celtics: 103.5
5. Los Angeles Lakers: 103.6

The Best Defensive team in the NBA this past season was________________?

Fill in the blank.

loki34
04-17-2010, 02:43 PM
suns

celtsballa21
04-17-2010, 02:44 PM
Celtics

Raph12
04-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Easily Orlando, they've blown out teams all year long, they have beaten teams by 15+pts 27 times this season (lead the league in pt-diff), a big reason why they have a worse dRat and pts allowed than the Cats, they play their bench most of 4th quarters (hell JJ Redick leads the team in 4th Q scoring).

Orlando is #1 in dRb%, oppFG%, basket protection (oppFG% at rim), paint protection (pts allowed in the paint per 100 possessions) and overall dEFF... And that's despite playing their bench for so much time.

J$mo0th_3o5
04-17-2010, 02:56 PM
Miami HEAT:)

Hawkeye15
04-17-2010, 02:56 PM
Orlando, Miami, and Charlotte are all awesome defensive teams.

sp1derm00
04-17-2010, 02:57 PM
Orlando

DerekRE_3
04-17-2010, 03:27 PM
Orlando is probably the best, with Charlotte #2.

Texans2010
04-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Magic

JPHX
04-17-2010, 03:46 PM
I thought the Cavs were a hell of a defensive team this year.

tredigs
04-17-2010, 04:04 PM
We have spoken at length about the best defender so I think its time we debate the best Team Defence.

Top 5 teams in least ppg allowed:

1. Charlotte Bobcats: 93.8
2. Miami Heat: 94.3
3. Portland Trail Blazers: 94.5
4. Orlando Magic: 95.1
5. Boston Celtics: 95.5

Top 5 teams in least FG% allowed:

1. Orlando Magic: .438%
2. Miami Heat: .440%
3. Cleveland Cavaliers: .441%
4. Chicago Bulls: .442%
5. Los Angeles Lakers: .445%

Top 5 teams in DRtg:

1. Charlotte Bobcats: 102.7
2/3. Milwaukee Bucks: 103.0/Orlando Magic: 103.0
4. Boston Celtics: 103.5
5. Los Angeles Lakers: 103.6

The Best Defensive team in the NBA this past season was________________?

Fill in the blank.

The Cats are the best suited to guard great wings, the Magic, thanks to Dwight, protect the basket better than anyone in the league. Which in turn creates more jumpshots, and is the reason why opponents FG%'s are lower against them than any other team in the league.

Charlotte allowing slightly less ppg than the Magic can be accrued to them having a slightly slower pace than the Magic [92.8 to 94.2 for the Magic].

Raph has a great point about the Magic's point differential; Dwight only averages 34.7 mpg because of all of their blowouts, and the team becomes much more human defensively when he's out.

Both of their Hollinger defensive efficiency [DFF] ratings are tied for first at 100.2, so when you take into account the mpg's of the teams two leaders on Dwight's being ~35 and Gerald Wallace's 41, you have to think Orlando's got an edge.

Need to guard a team that features an elite wing who can shoot a la 'Melo or Durant? The Cats will probably be the best at that. Need to guard a team with strong bigs and want the best basket protection in the NBA? Magic are better.

Overall? Magic are the best.

Iodine
04-17-2010, 04:10 PM
Tredigs for the next GM of the spurs when RC retires :pray:

Texans2010
04-17-2010, 04:14 PM
The Cats are the best suited to guard great wings, the Magic, thanks to Dwight, protect the basket better than anyone in the league. Which in turn creates more jumpshots, and is the reason why opponents FG%'s are lower against them than any other team in the league.

Charlotte allowing slightly less ppg than the Magic can be accrued to them having a slightly slower pace than the Magic [92.8 to 94.2 for the Magic].

Raph has a great point about the Magic's point differential; Dwight only averages 34.7 mpg because of all of their blowouts, and the team becomes much more human defensively when he's out.

Both of their Hollinger defensive efficiency [DFF] ratings are tied for first at 100.2, so when you take into account the mpg's of the teams two leaders on Dwight's being ~35 and Gerald Wallace's 41, you have to think Orlando's got an edge.

Need to guard a team that features an elite wing who can shoot a la 'Melo or Durant? The Cats will probably be the best at that. Need to guard a team with strong bigs and want the best basket protection in the NBA? Magic are better.

Overall? Magic are the best.

I think youre last paragraph states what is correct. Shots near the basket are higher percentage. The Magic are elite at not only guarding the rim, but keeping teams out of the lane period. Therefore they are the better overall defensive team when you add thier consistent ball pressure on the perimeter.

tredigs
04-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Tredigs for the next GM of the spurs when RC retires :pray:

haha, could there be a more fun position in sports other than on the court? Sure!

td0tsfinest
04-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Orlando. What a luxury it is to have a guy like Dwight Howard in the paint

Ragun
04-17-2010, 04:33 PM
haha me and ralph were arguing about this a few days ago. i said cats and he said orlando.

it has to be the bobcats. allowing the least points/game. thats all that matters. screw the FG%. if a team can put up 110 points at 40% is bad D IMO

Swashcuff
04-17-2010, 04:36 PM
haha me and ralph were arguing about this a few days ago. i said cats and he said orlando.

it has to be the bobcats. allowing the least points/game. thats all that matters. screw the FG%. if a team can put up 110 points at 40% is bad D IMO

I think you're wrong because of the points that Treydigs and Texans2010 made.

Texans2010
04-17-2010, 04:39 PM

just because a team allows a low number of points doesn't automatically make them a great defensive team. Orlando plays at a slightly higher pace, meaning their opponents take more shots, meaning they will score more.
The fact that the Magic control the paint is what seperates them.

iggypop123
04-17-2010, 04:40 PM
cats

DerekRE_3
04-17-2010, 05:03 PM

Well pace has a lot to do with that, however the Cats do have the best defensive rating in the league as well, which correct me if I'm wrong, would take pace into account or at least not reward a slow pace. The one thing I noticed is that the Bobcats are not top 5 in FG% given up and still have top 2 or top 3 defense. I think the reason for that is the turnovers they force on the defensive end. A turnover can be even better than rebounding a missed shot since they have a better chance of turning into points on the other end. One thing to also take into account with the Bobcats defensive numbers is how they could be even better if they took better care of the ball on the offensive end. They are one of the league's worst at taking care of ball (which will hurt them in the playoffs if they keep it up) and give up easy baskets when they turn it over.

Texans2010
04-17-2010, 05:08 PM
Well pace has a lot to do with that, however the Cats do have the best defensive rating in the league as well, which correct me if I'm wrong, would take pace into account or at least not reward a slow pace. The one thing I noticed is that the Bobcats are not top 5 in FG% given up and still have top 2 or top 3 defense. I think the reason for that is the turnovers they force on the defensive end. A turnover can be even better than rebounding a missed shot since they have a better chance of turning into points on the other end. One thing to also take into account with the Bobcats defensive numbers is how they could be even better if they took better care of the ball on the offensive end. They are one of the league's worst at taking care of ball (which will hurt them in the playoffs if they keep it up) and give up easy baskets when they turn it over.

the rating does factor pace. The rating does not factor in the fact that the Magic used their bench a lot more than the Cats, and therefore Orlando's best defenders were not on the floor as much. Its true they are essentially equal defensively. But if I had to take one or the other in a playoff series for example, knowing that both teams have their startes playing a ton, I take Orlando

DerekRE_3
04-17-2010, 05:11 PM
the rating does factor pace. The rating does not factor in the fact that the Magic used their bench a lot more than the Cats, and therefore Orlando's best defenders were not on the floor as much. Its true they are essentially equal defensively. But if I had to take one or the other in a playoff series for example, knowing that both teams have their startes playing a ton, I take Orlando

As would I, the Magic are the best defensive team in basketball and have the best interior defender in the game.

Ragun
04-17-2010, 05:25 PM

sure it does but the point is to not let them score and the bobcats are at 94%.

but the points that trejdac dude and the texansport dude made are true and i understand what they are saying.

Mr.WhiteSox
04-17-2010, 05:34 PM
nets

_KB24_
04-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Orlando is the best because they simply have the best defensive player in the league hands down, supported by valuable wing defenders.

I still pick LA as the second best, they just have too much length and strength for opponents to deal with.

tredigs
04-17-2010, 05:52 PM
sure it does but the point is to not let them score and the bobcats are at 94%.

but the points that trejdac dude and the texansport dude made are true and i understand what they are saying.

Well at least you got the first 3 right.

Ragun
04-17-2010, 06:09 PM
Well at least you got the first 3 right.

lol my bad.

ldc62
04-18-2010, 03:04 AM
Ill say Bobcats.

sargon21
04-18-2010, 03:46 AM
easily orlando

Berter
04-18-2010, 03:59 AM
The Knicks, Cause Eddy Curry isn't playing

Teeboy1487
04-18-2010, 04:30 AM
Orlando.

Swashcuff
04-18-2010, 11:11 AM
OK so thus far by everyone's opinions we can safely say it a race between the Cats and the Magic. I'd have to go Magic because they have the X factor in Dwight Howard down in the paint.

dtmagnet
04-18-2010, 11:21 AM
I thought Charlotte was.

MacFitz92
04-18-2010, 11:54 AM
1. Orlando: Two words. Dwight Howard. They stress defense and it shows.

2. Boston: With guys like Kevin Garnett and Rajon Rondo, you know they are still a top defensive team. They won the 2008 NBA championship because they had the best defense, and they still have that same core of guys. Even if they are old as dirt.

3. Dallas: When you have Jason Kidd, third mosts steals this year, Brendan Haywood, 4th in BPG, and two perimeter defenders like Caron Butler and Shawn Marion, it's kind of hard to argue this spot.

Swashcuff
04-18-2010, 12:00 PM

2. Boston: With guys like Kevin Garnett and Rajon Rondo, you know they are still a top defensive team. They won the 2008 NBA championship because they had the best defense, and they still have that same core of guys. Even if they are old as dirt.

3. Dallas: When you have Jason Kidd, third mosts steals this year, Brendan Haywood, 4th in BPG, and two perimeter defenders like Caron Butler and Shawn Marion, it's kind of hard to argue this spot.

Now I don't fully agree with you but you do have a strong argument.

DerekRE_3
04-18-2010, 01:29 PM

Actually it's easy since Charlotte is easily a better defensive team than Dallas (and Boston).

MacFitz92
04-18-2010, 01:38 PM
Actually it's easy since Charlotte is easily a better defensive team than Dallas (and Boston).

I disagree. I think people bring their best when they play teams like Boston and Dallas. I think people have underestimated Charlotte for the majority of the year. I might put Charlotte in the top 5 though.

DerekRE_3
04-18-2010, 01:41 PM
I disagree. I think people bring their best when they play teams like Boston and Dallas. I think people have underestimated Charlotte for the majority of the year. I might put Charlotte in the top 5 though.

:laugh2: Doesn't surprise me. Charlotte never gets respect.

RadiantShot
04-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Hate to go homer, but, my team isn't bad this year, so Orlando. ;)

MacFitz92
04-18-2010, 01:44 PM
Nevermind ;)

DerekRE_3
04-18-2010, 01:46 PM
Also, let it be noted that Dallas aquired two of their best defenders (Butler and Haywood) in a trade. The stats since then are(30 games): 98.8 Points against.

Let's note that the Bobcats points allowed for the entire season, is still way lower than that: 93.81 And that they have been top 3 in defensive efficiency and rating for the whole season.

mrblisterdundee
04-18-2010, 01:48 PM
The Carlotte Bobcats are the best defensive team, because of their personnel. Gerald Wallace and Tyrus Thomas make a perfect tandem when it comes to locking down top-tier small forwards like LeBron James. Stephen Jackson has a big length advantage when playing at shooting guard. Tyson Chandler improves the Bobcats' defense more that Emeka Okafor did. All signs point to Charlotte. That's why they're in the playoffs for the first time.

Iodine
04-18-2010, 01:55 PM
Derek>all

Sadds The Gr8
04-18-2010, 02:07 PM
Bobcats easily. Have no dominant shot blocker and horrible bigs. Imagine if they had a good big man that could play D and block shots. Magic defense is only good because of D12.

RadiantShot
04-18-2010, 02:21 PM
Saddler The Gr8 - Magic Hate 101.

iggypop123
04-18-2010, 02:21 PM

no they dont. see the knicks against the lakers and then vs the mavs. teams dont really get up for the mavs like they do for other teams

Swashcuff
04-18-2010, 07:38 PM
The Carlotte Bobcats are the best defensive team, because of their personnel. Gerald Wallace and Tyrus Thomas make a perfect tandem when it comes to locking down top-tier small forwards like LeBron James. Stephen Jackson has a big length advantage when playing at shooting guard. Tyson Chandler improves the Bobcats' defense more that Emeka Okafor did. All signs point to Charlotte. That's why they're in the playoffs for the first time.

choose your words more wisely there is no such thing as locking down LeBron James. You can contain him over a period of time or maybe even a game but there is no way to lock him down. He's gonna do what he does.