PDA

View Full Version : Hendry "will gladly overpay in prospects" for Heath Bell?

CubsFan/Realist
04-16-2010, 10:32 PM
The Padres at some point will put closer Heath Bell on the market. The Cubs will have as good a shot as anybody to obtain Bell if they’re willing to give up a No. 1 prospect like infielder Josh Vitters.

Cubs GM Jim Hendry will gladly overpay in prospects if he gets the go-ahead from the Ricketts family to trade for a pitcher like Bell and absorb his $5 million contract.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs

Seriously? I mean I know this is probably just speculation, but that would note be a very smart move by Hendry.

Vitters > Bell + cash

Doogolas
04-16-2010, 10:41 PM
Do not trade Vitters, Castro, Cashner or the Jacksons and I'm fine with it.

JIMBO
04-16-2010, 11:14 PM
There are minor League arms I'd rather try like Cashner, If it only takes one guy to make this team then give him a shot first, if its going to take more than one pitcher then why make the trade anyway

redbird89
04-16-2010, 11:21 PM
"I'll give you anything you want!"

What kind of negotiating is that? :laugh2:

captainatheism
04-16-2010, 11:22 PM
He, nor anyone in the Cubs organization, said that. It's just speculation.

redbird89
04-16-2010, 11:29 PM
I stand corrected.

Is he still only signed through 2010? Seems like a lot to give up prospects, pay his salary, and possibly have him for that year. And he is 32. Of course, the GMs watch a lot more closely than I do.

It may be worth it, but it would be a risk. Then again, what trade isn't a risk?

cubsneedmiracle
04-16-2010, 11:32 PM
If there has even be REAL speculation of that in our FO.. Whomever said it needs to be fired.

Diehdcubsfan2
04-16-2010, 11:36 PM
This has to be speculation and a dumb one at that. Would I want him, sure, but come on.

Matchstckman
04-16-2010, 11:38 PM
I will give up Darwin Barney for him.

:shrug:

Diehdcubsfan2
04-16-2010, 11:44 PM
I will give up Darwin Barney for him.

:shrug:

In all honestly, thats the only purpose he serves in this organization, trade bait. Obviously not the future, like four guys behind for that. Not going to amount to much, but a pretty good looking kid and could be serviceable.

ilstubirds
04-16-2010, 11:56 PM
Do not trade Vitters, Castro, Cashner or the Jacksons and I'm fine with it.

Add Hak-ju Lee to that list and I totally agree. They can pick from Chris Carpenter, Darwin Barney, Kyler Burke (although we got him from them), Churinos??, Colvin, LeMahieu(sp.), Stevens, Gaub, Diamond, and Dolis.

Doogolas
04-16-2010, 11:59 PM
There are minor League arms I'd rather try like Cashner, If it only takes one guy to make this team then give him a shot first, if its going to take more than one pitcher then why make the trade anyway

Yeah, good idea. Let's trade our best SP spec for a MR. ****ing great plan. :laugh2:

ilstubirds
04-17-2010, 12:01 AM
Yeah, good idea. Let's trade our best SP spec for a MR. ****ing great plan. :laugh2:

I believe he was saying to try Cashner at the setup position, not to get Bell.

Doogolas
04-17-2010, 12:12 AM

Also a bad idea. That'd still be trading our best SP spec for a MR. It'd just be trading him for himself. Blake Parker.

CubbieSteve
04-17-2010, 12:34 AM
Heath Bell would be a nice addition, but 'gladly overpaying in prospects' is something I never want to hear.

CubbieSteve
04-17-2010, 12:35 AM

Probably the same negotiating that put the Cardinals' farm system in shambles last year

Mell413
04-17-2010, 12:38 AM
I would hope that they would not deal their top prospects for a reliever. I'd also wonder if Bell would accept being a setup man.

Vandelay16
04-17-2010, 12:52 AM
Reading that made my eyes bleed. We finally have some good prospects and Hendry wants to give them away?

RedHeadsRule
04-17-2010, 01:15 AM
If Hendry refused to give up Vitters for Peavy, he's not gonna do it for Bell.....I hope

abe_froman
04-17-2010, 01:31 AM
If Hendry refused to give up Vitters for Peavy, he's not gonna do it for Bell.....I hope

i would hope to

but i can see it.getting peavy was more like adding strength to something already top notch..the bullpen,its been glaring and the heads exploding over it could force jim to act just to shut everyone in the city up for a moment

Tehjosha
04-17-2010, 01:31 AM
Obviously this is all speculation, so don't read too much into it. Hendry has made some bad decisions, but he's not a damn fool.

You DO NOT trade one of your top prospects for a RP. You just don't. Hendry knows that.

ty_smitty21
04-17-2010, 01:45 AM
Hendry didn't give up Castro for Granderson.
Hendry didn't give up Vitters for Peavy.
Hendry didn't even give up Rich Hill for Brian Roberts.

For a guy who might get fired this year if we don't win, he's actually being pretty stingy with our minor leaguers.

However.. at some point this season, we WILL overpay for a reliever. We need a good setup man, in a bad, bad way. We will no doubt trade for a good reliever before July. Let's just hope the prospects we give up aren't the best ones.

Jason Fraser would have already been here if Hendry would have been stupid and traded good prospects for him.

Yagyu+
04-17-2010, 01:56 AM
Any significant trade before Lilly returns and Gray gets the chance to settle in is premature. The Cubs need an arm, but first they have to know what they've got in Silva/Gorzelanny coming from the pen.

EDIT: I'm still disappointed we weren't able to land Matt Capps.

redbird89
04-17-2010, 02:26 AM
Probably the same negotiating that put the Cardinals' farm system in shambles last year

Touche.

I wasn't a fan of trading Wallace for Holliday, or Perez for DeRosa. I still would have preferred that we had just waited and signed Holliday in the offseason, and we overpaid for him anyway. Mo doesn't get them all right. He's a decent GM, but he's not Jocketty (Jocketty's worst was probably trading Haren for Mulder, but he also traded J. D. Drew for Jason Marquis, Ray King, and Adam Wainwright. So you take the stupid decisions with the smart ones.).

LeoGetz
04-17-2010, 02:42 AM
I'm more concerned about this...

Cubs radio announcer Ron Santo visited his doctors on Friday after experiencing fever-like symptoms Thursday night. Former Cubs pitcher Dave Otto worked Friday's game and most likey Saturday for WGN Radio while Santo recovers.

...Than I am about Hendry trading Vitters, Castro, & $50 MM for Bell.

Doogolas
04-17-2010, 03:11 AM
I'm more concerned about this...

...Than I am about Hendry trading Vitters, Castro, & $50 MM for Bell.

I'm not. Len said on TV today Ronny was doing better.

JIMBO
04-17-2010, 07:21 AM

Yes sorry I wasn't clear on that, Bring Cashner up if we get that desparate and we are in a position to win the division and still have that hole. If all internal options fail and we think thats all we need, then I might think trade but but for the price of a top spec, maybe a couple of lower specs but not much more.

Ron!n
04-17-2010, 07:33 AM
If this is actually true then that might be the worst mistake Hendry makes.

Our system is overflowing with relief arms. You better give Blake Parker, Stevens, Gaub, and Archer all chances before committing to a move like this.

stlcardnlzfan
04-17-2010, 08:39 AM
I think it would be a great trade for the cubs! You guys would have a great 8th and 9th combo with Marmol and Bell, they would be really tough! And the way Marshall has been pitching you could slide him in for the 7th inning if need be. All your starters would have to do is get through 6 or seven innings with the lead and then turn it over to Marmol and Bell and it should be close to lights out as long as Marmol throws strikes. Being a cardinal fan i hope they don't do it, but if i was a cub fan i would be hoping they do.

Assman22
04-17-2010, 09:25 AM
Did any of you actually read this blog? Hell the quote of this thread is "will gladly overpay in prospects". Nowhere in the article does it say he will send a #1 prospect for Bell, idiots. Of course he won't do that. PROSPECTS (plural) is the key word here. He will overpay in PROSPECTS, meaning 2 or 3 low level PROSPECTS. Overpay as in send one too many for Bell.

Heath Bell would be a huge addition to the bullpen btw. Bell was lights out last year and has continued that pace so far this season. I do like Russell in the bullpen and Berg's not too bad either but once Lilly is back Gray/Caridad will head to Iowa to make room for Silva. Padres would take a few young arms for Bell and the Twins, whom are also trying to acquire Bell, don't have a lot to offer as their farm system is in the crapper these days.

SchyGuy11
04-17-2010, 10:01 AM
no GM in their right mind would say "i will gladly overpay in prospects" even if they were willing to, you don't let your trading partner know that

ReJo
04-17-2010, 10:07 AM
I know the bullpen hasn't been great but we are 2 weeks into the season and there is no need to make a panic move and overpay for a reliever. When Lilly gets back Silva can be moved to setup man and stinkfish can go down to Iowa

Milnertime
04-17-2010, 10:39 AM
I know the bullpen hasn't been great but we are 2 weeks into the season and there is no need to make a panic move and overpay for a reliever. When Lilly gets back Silva can be moved to setup man and stinkfish can go down to Iowa
Samardzija can go **** off for all I care. Unless he's going to throw strikes and get outs he's worthless.

windycityD
04-17-2010, 10:45 AM

IMO, our pitching is going to eventually be somewhat of an issue and I would include the rotation in that overall equation as well. Silva has had two good outings vs. an ok offense and a crap, depleted one. Zambrano is an up and down wild card, let's face it. Wells and Gorzo are still TBDs. Dempster's been a pretty consistent, good starter and I'm not really worried about him. Lilly is the #1 and we need him dealing this season to make any kind of real run. Now of course, the upside we have working is that we have starting pitching depth to work with, which is why I would not deal a guy like Wells or Gorzo somewhat early and out of desperation for a just because we need it vet arm for the pen. Any GM worth his salt would ask for Wells or Gorzo included in an early deal.

Here is why I feel Cashner has dual-value: if he does well at this level, and pending the overall situation, you've either added a cheap mainstay or have elevated his trade stock in a truly impact deal.

IF we're in either the wild card race (most likely imo) or division come July, the ideal trade would not only include a good vet righty for the pen, but also, a starter. Here's to Seattle not having a good year, because Cliff Lee and David Aardsma would both look good in Cubs unis to me and both are in their walk years up there.

The Seattle trade (not including Cashner):
We get Lee and Aardsma
Seattle gets Wells or Gorzo, Parker, Carpenter, Hak-Ju Lee, and Chris Archer.

If they wanted/ insisted on Cashner, I would make them take The Shark back in the deal (we eat some $) and also take Archer and Parker off the table.

Vandelay16
04-17-2010, 11:03 AM
IMO, our pitching is going to eventually be somewhat of an issue and I would include the rotation in that overall equation as well. Silva has had two good outings vs. an ok offense and a crap, depleted one. Zambrano is an up and down wild card, let's face it. Wells and Gorzo are still TBDs. Dempster's been a pretty consistent, good starter and I'm not really worried about him. Lilly is the #1 and we need him dealing this season to make any kind of real run. Now of course, the upside we have working is that we have starting pitching depth to work with, which is why I would not deal a guy like Wells or Gorzo somewhat early and out of desperation for a just because we need it vet arm for the pen. Any GM worth his salt would ask for Wells or Gorzo included in an early deal.

Here is why I feel Cashner has dual-value: if he does well at this level, and pending the overall situation, you've either added a cheap mainstay or have elevated his trade stock in a truly impact deal.

IF we're in either the wild card race (most likely imo) or division come July, the ideal trade would not only include a good vet righty for the pen, but also, a starter. Here's to Seattle not having a good year, because Cliff Lee and David Aardsma would both look good in Cubs unis to me and both are in their walk years up there.

Lee and Aardsma......**** YEAH odds of it happening not good. Mariners need to struggle and they will probably have a high asking price.

WrigleyRiot26
04-17-2010, 11:45 AM

...not what he said

THE HAMMER
04-17-2010, 11:51 AM
I don't believe Samardzjia is ever going to be a factor in the Cubs bp or the rotation. There is too much talent coming up and he never impresses in a game situation. Send him and Barney and an A baller from Peoria for Bell. I would even eat some of Stinkfish's salary just to make the Padres happy. I would like to see Samardzjia have 2 or 3 decent outings just so he looks like he is going to turn the corner before we trade him. We know it will be a fluke. There is always Pittsburgh who falls for that s**t everytime. Dotel would be decent for a straight up trade. I think we see Cashner by mid May if he continues on the torride pace he is on at AA. No matter what when Lilly comes back Samardzjia is the first to get sent down. I think Caridad will get back to form when he comes of the DL which will be a big help. His track record is too good. Maybe Samardzjia should go to Halas Hall for mini-camp. This season is early the BP will get it going and the pieces will start falling into place.

THE HAMMER
04-17-2010, 11:56 AM
BTW Samardzjia is a highly touted prospect RIGHT ;) He is your man Jim. Overpay with with your highly touted prospect... nobody will even remember who he was in a week.

CubsRule08
04-17-2010, 12:09 PM
BTW Samardzjia is a highly touted prospect RIGHT ;) He is your man Jim. Overpay with with your highly touted prospect... nobody will even remember who he was in a week.

The only problem with trading him is that he has a NTC.

I believe when the rumors about Peavy heading to the Cubs were on, Samardzija was one of the names being moved, and he said he would've used his NTC to stay in Chicago.

Swashcuff
04-17-2010, 12:30 PM
even though Hendry has made some bone headed moves in regards to some of our better prospects in the past I really don't think he's that stupid.

Jilly Bohnson
04-17-2010, 03:57 PM
It depends what they want. If they'd take a Stevens or a Parker or a Gaub along with maybe some high upside A-baller that's fine. We're not, nor should we, give up a top 10 prospect four a year and a half of Heath Bell. You just can't give up big value for a relief pitcher, you can't.

Ron!n
04-17-2010, 05:36 PM
The Seattle trade (not including Cashner):
We get Lee and Aardsma
Seattle gets Wells or Gorzo, Parker, Carpenter, Hak-Ju Lee, and Chris Archer.

If they wanted/ insisted on Cashner, I would make them take The Shark back in the deal (we eat some $) and also take Archer and Parker off the table.

I highly doubt that happens. Although if Lee and Aardsma arent going to resign then that might actually be too much to give up.

turnaround3
04-17-2010, 07:24 PM
While I am fully against giving up any of our big 5 for any reliever of any sort, I'll say this:

For the first time in a long time the Cubs do have some organizational depth. Which is great, but the thing about depth is it's great if you utilize it. Don't just sit on it until it's gone.

Secondly, if Marmol continues to even resemble the Marmol we've seen here in the first 2 weeks, and you add a Heath Bell to the mix, what you're essentially doing is shortening any game in which you have a lead to 7 innings instead of 9, and the impact that can have on a W-L record is astounding.

Doogolas
04-17-2010, 07:46 PM
While I am fully against giving up any of our big 5 for any reliever of any sort, I'll say this:

For the first time in a long time the Cubs do have some organizational depth. Which is great, but the thing about depth is it's great if you utilize it. Don't just sit on it until it's gone.

Secondly, if Marmol continues to even resemble the Marmol we've seen here in the first 2 weeks, and you add a Heath Bell to the mix, what you're essentially doing is shortening any game in which you have a lead to 7 innings instead of 9, and the impact that can have on a W-L record is astounding.

Agreed, we do have to utilize what we have. But like you said, we should utilize the DEPTH we have. We have a lot of pieces of value that are well below are top 5, who are all potentially top 75 specs next year. I don't think any reliever is worth that high a price.

Chazm
04-17-2010, 09:29 PM
Did any of you actually read this blog? Hell the quote of this thread is "will gladly overpay in prospects". Nowhere in the article does it say he will send a #1 prospect for Bell, idiots. Of course he won't do that. PROSPECTS (plural) is the key word here. He will overpay in PROSPECTS, meaning 2 or 3 low level PROSPECTS. Overpay as in send one too many for Bell.

Heath Bell would be a huge addition to the bullpen btw. Bell was lights out last year and has continued that pace so far this season. I do like Russell in the bullpen and Berg's not too bad either but once Lilly is back Gray/Caridad will head to Iowa to make room for Silva. Padres would take a few young arms for Bell and the Twins, whom are also trying to acquire Bell, don't have a lot to offer as their farm system is in the crapper these days.

I was thinking the same thing. Prospects are just someone who MAY make it one day. Doesn't mean they are highly touted, just decent players.

giventofly
04-17-2010, 10:58 PM
Obviously I don't see much truth in this, but you can imagine how pissed I'll be if we give up Vitters/Cashner/Castro for Bell and we couldn't give one of them up for Granderson.

MJ-BULLS
04-17-2010, 11:28 PM
Adding Bell will be a nice addition to the team, but giving up your best prospects like Vitters/Castro ect........... for a RP is not right.

NORTH10
04-18-2010, 05:36 AM
From what Ricketts envisions for the future of the Cubs, Hendry would be an absolute dumbass if he were to give up any of our top prospects.

Chazm
04-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Adding Bell will be a nice addition to the team, but giving up your best prospects like Vitters/Castro ect........... for a RP is not right.

Again! where are you guys reading this from??

Why do you assume prospects are the top players?

zambo4president
04-18-2010, 01:19 PM
I'd gladly burn down a taxi, **** Heath Bell

Randall Simon
04-18-2010, 01:35 PM
Hendry: "Mr. Ricketts, we need to upgrade the pen in order to make a playoff push. Bell is available but he comes with a $5m salary. Can I get him?"

Ricketts: "Yes Jim."

Hendry: "Mr. Ricketts, I got Bell, I upgraded the pen. We can make a run at the playoffs now!"

Ricketts: "I didn't say trade out top spec for him. Jim, you're fired!"