PDA

View Full Version : Hollinger: NBA Championship/Finals Odds

Raph12
04-16-2010, 01:27 PM
This link (http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/playoffodds/_/sort/bestCaseWins) leads to his Playoffs Odds, but also have Championship and Finals Odds on it as well.

East
Cleveland Cavaliers: Finals - 25.4 | Championship - 12.9
Orlando Magic: Finals - 44.8 | Championship - 29.5
Atlanta Hawks: Finals - 12.9 | Championship - 6.5
Boston Celtics: Finals - 6.0 | Championship - 1.8
Miami Heat: Finals - 5.4 | Championship - 1.6
Milwaukee Bucks: Finals - 2.4 | Championship - 0.6
Charlotte Bobcats: Finals - 2.6 | Championship - 0.7
Chicago Bulls: Finals - 0.6 | Championship - 0.1

East
Los Angeles Lakers: Finals - 10.0 | Championship - 3.9
Dallas Mavericks: Finals - 4.6 | Championship - 1.4
Phoenix Suns: Finals - 21.8 | Championship - 10.9
Denver Nuggets: Finals - 8.8 | Championship - 3.4
Utah Jazz: Finals - 18.5 | Championship - 9.6
Portland Trail Blazers: Finals - 8.8 | Championship - 3.7
San Antonio Spurs: Finals - 20.4 | Championship - 10.8
Oklahoma City Thunder: Finals - 7.0 | Championship - 2.5

I will update these odds at the end of each round

lakerssssssss
04-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Is there any way to check up what his odds were last year.

Hawkeye15
04-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Is there any way to check up what his odds were last year.

just go to his archives on espn. You will find it there, but it may take a while. Or you could put 2009 playoffs/hollinger in a search engine and see what happens
you can find it somewhere man

Raidaz4Life
04-16-2010, 01:49 PM
Hollinger is easily the dumbest analyst I have ever has the displeasure of reading.

I remember he was all over the Jazz last year and apparently this year he's all over the Spurs.... he or his math or whatever are completely clueless

Kingz4L
04-16-2010, 02:03 PM
this guy is begging for some upsets so he can raise his voice to everybody

JordansBulls
04-16-2010, 02:28 PM
Hollinger is easily the dumbest analyst I have ever has the displeasure of reading.

I remember he was all over the Jazz last year and apparently this year he's all over the Spurs.... he or his math or whatever are completely clueless

Not really!!! See you can back stuff up with stats and numbers. Anything else is just opinion.

Raph12
04-16-2010, 03:07 PM
His stats have many similarities with SRS ratings, pt-differential, schedule difficulty etc... If you look at his power rankings, it will explain the odds more.

Mavrix
04-16-2010, 03:09 PM
The Heat and Thunder have a better chance at winning the championship then the Mavericks. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH A

RadiantShot
04-16-2010, 03:10 PM
^
lol..:rolleyes:

Avenged
04-16-2010, 03:12 PM
The Heat and Thunder have a better chance at winning the championship then the Mavericks. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH A

It's not that funny.. :shrug:

Mavrix
04-16-2010, 03:12 PM
It's not that funny.. :shrug:

I laughed for a good 15 seconds.

Mavrix
04-16-2010, 03:13 PM
And it's almost as funny to see the Hawks have twice as much as a chance then the Lakers to win the championship.

RadiantShot
04-16-2010, 03:13 PM
I had a serious face :shrug:

Mavrix
04-16-2010, 03:14 PM
The Suns/Spurs have almost 3X the chance then the Lakers to win the championship LOL

Mavrix
04-16-2010, 03:14 PM
I had a serious face :shrug:
That's because Trollinger has your Magic rated so high.

Hawkeye15
04-16-2010, 03:17 PM
The Suns/Spurs have almost 3X the chance then the Lakers to win the championship LOL

obviously you haven't watched the Lakers play the last 2 months....
This is an equation that doesn't care about who won last year, or what their roster looks like. There are a couple problems with it obviously, like when teams have HCA wrapped up and rest their stars. Obviously if the Cavs and Lakers had gone all out and won as many games as they could have instead of resting Kobe and Bron, their statistical chances would be better
as far as the Mavs, their win margin, and constant play to the level of their competition games, factor in them being knocked out early in this equation

no need to take it personal

Mavrix
04-16-2010, 03:20 PM
obviously you haven't watched the Lakers play the last 2 months....
This is an equation that doesn't care about who won last year, or what their roster looks like. There are a couple problems with it obviously, like when teams have HCA wrapped up and rest their stars. Obviously if the Cavs and Lakers had gone all out and won as many games as they could have instead of resting Kobe and Bron, their statistical chances would be better
as far as the Mavs, their win margin, and constant play to the level of their competition games, factor in them being knocked out early in this equation

no need to take it personal

Playoffs are based off matchups ONLY. Regular season has nothing to do with it.

Hawkeye15
04-16-2010, 03:21 PM
Playoffs are based off matchups ONLY. Regular season has nothing to do with it.

the way the teams played in the regular season is what dictates how they are input though. You don't just blindly come up with these numbers for no reason.

Hawkeye15
04-16-2010, 03:23 PM
on top of that, doesn't he simply run like thousands of mock games, and the computer just comes up with the number? This shouldn't be taken as gospel in the least bit.

Mavrix
04-16-2010, 03:25 PM
the way the teams played in the regular season is what dictates how they are input though. You don't just blindly come up with these numbers for no reason.

A team could have a +10 winning margin but matchup horrible against another team (kind of like the Mavs in 07). Regular season does not have anything to do with who you're matched up against in the playoffs. You play 4 teams on your way to a championship, not 30.

Hawkeye15
04-16-2010, 03:29 PM
A team could have a +10 winning margin but matchup horrible against another team (kind of like the Mavs in 07). Regular season does not have anything to do with who you're matched up against in the playoffs. You play 4 teams on your way to a championship, not 30.

totally agree. Then why does he have the Spurs beating the Mavs out of the gate, when the Mavs have beat them up recently?
Like I said, they are simulated games, they mean nothing, which is why it shouldn't even be taken seriously in the least.

BOSTON617
04-16-2010, 03:32 PM

your taking this way to personal lol... look at my celtics 1.6 ok... it doesnt mean anything its just numbers!!!!!!!!! obv its not saying these teams are going to win its just a syestem this man uses to indicate momentum but i do agree with the suns they are playin unbelievable :clap:

Mavrix
04-16-2010, 03:33 PM
totally agree. Then why does he have the Spurs beating the Mavs out of the gate, when the Mavs have beat them up recently?
Like I said, they are simulated games, they mean nothing, which is why it shouldn't even be taken seriously in the least.

Which is why I laughed :)

alencp3
04-16-2010, 04:04 PM
Bulls**t

G-Funk
04-16-2010, 04:20 PM
horrible no offense to magic fans

SteveNash
04-16-2010, 04:21 PM
So this means the Magic aren't winning a championship, see I was right.

heathonater
04-16-2010, 04:40 PM
it seems hollinger goes alot by the point differentials in determining who the best team is. although not right, hollinger probably downgrades the mavs because their margin of victory is relatively low when compared to other teams in the league.

MrFastBreak
04-16-2010, 05:22 PM
it seems hollinger goes alot by the point differentials in determining who the best team is. although not right, hollinger probably downgrades the mavs because their margin of victory is relatively low when compared to other teams in the league.

There's nothing wrong with that. Do you realize seasons ago the teams that won the`chip or got even close had some of the best PT differentials? If it was me, and I was trying to evaluate a team, Id rather use PT differential than use simple W-L record. It's just the more effective way and it's been proven. Since the 1980 season, there was only 1 team that won the championship with a lower PT differential than the Mavs of this season.

MrFastBreak
04-16-2010, 05:24 PM
and only 5 teams with less than +5.0 have won a championship in the last 30 years. Not saying the Mavs arent good enough or whatever, but you shouldnt get alarmed just because they arent one of the top teams in Hollinger's rankings just because they have one of the best records in the league.

Raidaz4Life
04-16-2010, 05:31 PM
Not really!!! See you can back stuff up with stats and numbers. Anything else is just opinion.

His power rankings had the Spurs as the second best team at the end of the season... I think they will EASILY get knocked out in the first round to the Mavs

RadiantShot
04-16-2010, 05:35 PM

We'll see come June.

*Superman*
04-16-2010, 05:37 PM

Hater.

SteveNash
04-16-2010, 09:10 PM
we'll see come may.

ftfy.