PDA

View Full Version : How does Larry Bird have job security?

fadedmario
04-16-2010, 02:43 AM
I know he's from French Lick, but the Pacers have been rebuilding for a long time now. Besides Granger (who has health problems) who else do they have? How does Larry Bird still have a job? Everyone hated Isiah Thomas for the job he did in NY, but I also think Larry Bird has done a terrible job with the Pacers. As a person and a player I think he is and was great, but as a President he's terrible. Give some thoughts on this. I know they love him because he's from Indiana, but is it worth the Pacers being terrible for another 5 years?

znick21
04-16-2010, 02:58 AM
because i'm drunk.

GermanLakersFan
04-16-2010, 03:00 AM
Because only this way he can help the Celtics by shifting players like Marquis Daniels over there for nothing.:cool:

That move was so obviously set up before Daniels was bought out. I don't know why noone even said a waord back then. When the Cavs got Jamison and Telfair for nothing this season the rumors exploded.

I actually don't like the Celtics nor do I like the cavs or Larry but I don't get how everyone gets upset when the cavs do something that was obviously set up previously to the Ilgauskas for Jamison deal but nobody gets upset when Larry sets up a deal that let's the Celtics have Daniels (back then 14PPG, 5RPG and 2 APG in Indiana) for nothing.
:confused:

This league definetely has some holes in the trade- and free agency rules that need to be stuffed!! I don't see it happening with David "viewing rate" Stern as the commissioner though.

shep33
04-16-2010, 03:07 AM
because i'm drunk.

Agreed

asandhu23
04-16-2010, 03:12 AM
Fame.

Mavrix
04-16-2010, 03:30 AM
TJ Ford used to be good, wtf happened to him

ldc62
04-16-2010, 05:06 AM
The only thing I can remember with him and the Pacers was making the finals. But that was coaching.

DenButsu
04-16-2010, 05:09 AM
Because he's Larry Bird.

JiffyMix88
04-16-2010, 06:10 AM
u must of forgot how good of a team he put together until the brawl, followed by the o'neal injury and miller retirement they have only been rebuilding for like 4 seasons(there are other teams that have been rebuilding longer then this). they've been unlucky that the lottery hasn't matched their records. i still feel like hes a good gm

clutchski
04-16-2010, 06:34 AM
I agree with everyone..it obviously won't last forever though. If the team continues at this pace (pun intended) he'll be ousted in due time.

Big Quett
04-16-2010, 06:42 AM
Because only this way he can help the Celtics by shifting players like Marquis Daniels over there for nothing.:cool:

That move was so obviously set up before Daniels was bought out. I don't know why noone even said a waord back then. When the Cavs got Jamison and Telfair for nothing this season the rumors exploded.

I actually don't like the Celtics nor do I like the cavs or Larry but I don't get how everyone gets upset when the cavs do something that was obviously set up previously to the Ilgauskas for Jamison deal but nobody gets upset when Larry sets up a deal that let's the Celtics have Daniels (back then 14PPG, 5RPG and 2 APG in Indiana) for nothing.

This league definetely has some holes in the trade- and free agency rules that need to be stuffed!! I don't see it happening with David "viewing rate" Stern as the commissioner though.

Ok what is the point of this whole ramble? :confused: You said Marquis Daniels like he put the Celts over the top. He is a rotational player and nothing else. Even if it was a prearranged deal who cares? Marquis has never and will never put anybody over the top. You said that like if he were on the Pacers they would be in the playoffs. Jamison and even Big Z are difference makers

fadedmario
04-16-2010, 09:36 AM
u must of forgot how good of a team he put together until the brawl, followed by the o'neal injury and miller retirement they have only been rebuilding for like 4 seasons(there are other teams that have been rebuilding longer then this). they've been unlucky that the lottery hasn't matched their records. i still feel like hes a good gm

I didn't forget. If you look at the Pacers they have been going downhill ever since that game. If they would have never got in that fight they might even have had a shot at the title that year. But since then, What the hell has he done for that franchise?

wileyisTOFU
04-16-2010, 09:41 AM
obviously its because hes white

Hellcrooner
04-16-2010, 11:09 AM
TJ Ford used to be good, wtf happened to him

He never was he just put up scoring stats ball hoging.

ldc62
04-16-2010, 11:20 AM
He never was he just put up scoring stats ball hoging.

He avg close to 9 assists in his best year. But yea he was a ball hog; which sucks cuz hes also a PG.

holocaust227
04-16-2010, 11:47 AM
He avg close to 9 assists in his best year. But yea he was a ball hog; which sucks cuz hes also a PG.

When did he average close to 9 asts?

EDIT: Oh, 06-07, 7.9..

Hawkeye15
04-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Mark Madsen happened to Ford.

C-Webb
04-16-2010, 01:49 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but there was no deal here. The Pacers would have needed to pickup Daniels $7+ million exception to keep him, which wasn't going to happen. The Celtics tried to work out a sign and trade deal for him, but the Pacers didn't want our crap so it was just a free agent signing for the Celtics, like any player who doesn't have their option picked up. He didn't trade him or broker any deal that I am aware of because the whole issue about why it took so long was the Celtics kept pushing for a sign and trade.

They have been stuck as mediocre which is the biggest problem. Never getting a very good draft pick, always reaching at the very bottom of the lottery. Throw in their recent health issues with multiple players and they can't seem to keep the same team on the floor to evaluate where they are at. It isn't like Bird has a bunch of tradeable assets to work with. He has brought in good players like Rush and Hibbert if he can just get another really good player to go with Granger. This team has a good (not great) young nucleaus really if the players can stay on the floor.

The worst move I saw made so far was bringing in TJ Ford. His salary didn't allow them to keep Jarrett Jack last year, who was actually the better PG for this team and would have made a difference. If he can get the right player to compliment Granger in the draft this year, this team can start to move up.

jacquewho?
04-16-2010, 02:25 PM
I'm a Pacers fan from Indiana. I currently hate him. I could go on for ever about him and how terrible of a job he has done but I won't. He said that Jim O'Brien (our coach) did a great job this season. :facepalm:

jacquewho?
04-16-2010, 02:33 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but there was no deal here. The Pacers would have needed to pickup Daniels $7+ million exception to keep him, which wasn't going to happen. The Celtics tried to work out a sign and trade deal for him, but the Pacers didn't want our crap so it was just a free agent signing for the Celtics, like any player who doesn't have their option picked up. He didn't trade him or broker any deal that I am aware of because the whole issue about why it took so long was the Celtics kept pushing for a sign and trade.

Correct

They have been stuck as mediocre which is the biggest problem. Never getting a very good draft pick, always reaching at the very bottom of the lottery. Throw in their recent health issues with multiple players and they can't seem to keep the same team on the floor to evaluate where they are at. It isn't like Bird has a bunch of tradeable assets to work with. He has brought in good players like Rush and Hibbert if he can just get another really good player to go with Granger. This team has a good (not great) young nucleaus really if the players can stay on the floor.

The team is just too inconsistent right now. We sucked all year then the last 12 games we decide to win 10 of them and move back from the 4th lotto pick to 10th. Larry doesn't believe in tanking because it ruins a franchise's image...but honestly, nobody cares for the pacers anymore cause we don't have any "stars" outside of Granger. It's just a bunch of mediocre role players, although Hibbert is making nice progress. A top pick would have brought in someone like Evan Turner, John Wall (wishful), Wesley Johnson, Derrick Favors, or Demarcus Cousins. Now, we will probably have to settle for Cole Aldrich or Patrick ****ing Patterson.

The worst move I saw made so far was bringing in TJ Ford. His salary didn't allow them to keep Jarrett Jack last year, who was actually the better PG for this team and would have made a difference. If he can get the right player to compliment Granger in the draft this year, this team can start to move up.

Unfortunately that probably won't happen becuase we will not get a legit pick this draft cause he doesn't believe in tanking. This team has one star player and too many mediocre role players who are too inconsistent and can't get chemistry going.

I hate this team. :cry: