PDA

View Full Version : Has OKC Thunder Surpass Portland Trailblazers?

bluesens
04-15-2010, 09:07 PM
They were both rebulding teams a few years back and Portland had a head start getting Roy and Lamarcus. Its just a questions which team has the better team now. I jumped on both teams bandwaggon ( everyone pretty much did) and both teams have an allstar player with good character. I'm just curious to what you guys think.

lakerssssssss
04-15-2010, 09:09 PM
Portland was injured all year and still had the same record as the thunder.

Sly Guy
04-15-2010, 09:10 PM
no.

Portland has just had a massive string of bad luck with injuries. When healthy, I'll take Portland over OKC.

AllDay28
04-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Portland just beat OKC for the 6th seed without Roy. And considering they played all year with Batum/Fernandez/Oden/Pryzbilla/Outlaw(first half of season)/ and Webster and ended up with 50 wins means that with all of them playing healthy for most of the season, they wouldve easily been able to win at least 3 more games and get the 3rd seed. Just my 2 cents on it anyways. Por > Okc

Raph12
04-15-2010, 10:19 PM
No, the Blazers healthy would still beat the Thunder... Although if Haywood or Camby signs with the Thunder in the offseason, watch out.

soonabooma
04-15-2010, 11:13 PM
At full strength, Portland might be slightly better than OKC....and I do mean SLIGHTLY. You've gotta remember, even though they have some really good young guys on the team like Roy and Aldridge, the Blazers are still way ahead of the Thunder in terms of experience. They have veterans that are major contributors. Right now, all of the Thunders big time players are still babies. We don't have an Andre Miller or a Marcus Camby like they do, and those guys put in alot of work. That's the biggest difference in these two teams. It sucks for them that they dealt with so many injuries this year, but they had some guys really step up when they needed to and they continued to be a force all year even during the tough times. To win 50 games while dealing with so much adversity is pretty impressive. And for the Thunder to win 50 games while being so young is also very impressive. These are two very good teams that will be good for a long time. One thing's for sure, the Northwest division is gonna be a straight up gauntlet for many years to come.

Denver/Utah/Portland/OKC.......yikes! And remember, Minnesota will get pretty good at some point. This division is gonna be crazy.

Avenged
04-15-2010, 11:19 PM
A healthy Portland team would've been competing for the 2nd seed. A couple years back, everyone was saying in a couple years they would be challenging the Lakers throne. Well it's been a couple years, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't right now if they were healthy.

Raidaz4Life
04-15-2010, 11:20 PM
Yes they have

fadedmario
04-15-2010, 11:36 PM
Both teams are good young teams. You have to wonder if Portland had everyone healthy all year how good they could be. With Greg Oden it doesn't look like that will ever happen so I'd take the Thunder

Bruno
04-15-2010, 11:42 PM
You can't say. The Blazers have never had the chance to display all the goods come playoff time.

NINER/BLAZER
04-15-2010, 11:43 PM
Being a Blazer fan its obvious who I think is better. I do agree the thunder are just a "true center" away from being real contenders. And a little experience. I think it will be a good rivalry for years to come.

znick21
04-15-2010, 11:55 PM
At full strength, Portland might be slightly better than OKC....and I do mean SLIGHTLY. You've gotta remember, even though they have some really good young guys on the team like Roy and Aldridge, the Blazers are still way ahead of the Thunder in terms of experience. They have veterans that are major contributors. Right now, all of the Thunders big time players are still babies. We don't have an Andre Miller or a Marcus Camby like they do, and those guys put in alot of work. That's the biggest difference in these two teams. It sucks for them that they dealt with so many injuries this year, but they had some guys really step up when they needed to and they continued to be a force all year even during the tough times. To win 50 games while dealing with so much adversity is pretty impressive. And for the Thunder to win 50 games while being so young is also very impressive. These are two very good teams that will be good for a long time. One thing's for sure, the Northwest division is gonna be a straight up gauntlet for many years to come.

Denver/Utah/Portland/OKC.......yikes! And remember, Minnesota will get pretty good at some point. This division is gonna be crazy.

absolutely not. portland didn't have those veterans last year, and they won 54 games. they had the second youngest team in the league with an average age of 25, while where was oklahoma city? 4th youngest. i would love to see the thunder win 50 games with as many injuries as the blazers had this season. they would be lucky to win 30 games.

tp13baby
04-16-2010, 12:05 AM
When healthy Portland is more scary than OKC.
Portland was injured all year and still has a higher seed than OKC. But in my opinion. the Northwest division is the deepest from head to toe.

JiffyMix88
04-16-2010, 12:24 AM
Yes they have

off topic but i still like the raiders and i hope they dont draft jimmy cause he has bust written all over him and that would only add to the 1st round bust of oakland

soonabooma
04-16-2010, 12:24 AM
absolutely not. portland didn't have those veterans last year, and they won 54 games. they had the second youngest team in the league with an average age of 25, while where was oklahoma city? 4th youngest. i would love to see the thunder win 50 games with as many injuries as the blazers had this season. they would be lucky to win 30 games.

Yeah, they were young, and they had been improving each year, last year was the year where they really made big strides, winning 54 games. But the whole point I'm trying to make about them this year is....when some of their young talent was injured, they had those guys like Camby and Miller to pick up the slack. Those are two acquisitions that proved to be good ones for the Blazers. Miller started coming on strong, and after they picked up Camby, you started seeing a difference. Very few teams in the league have veterans like that to give them major production. You might have won a few more games without some of the injuries, but nothing more. Hey, if we don't have those little immature brain farts every other week, WE win 56 games while being what....like the 2nd youngest team in the league, we actually got younger since last year. Everybody can claim that kind of stuff.

You can have your team going forward and I'll take mine. My money says, we're gonna handle OUR business.:cool:

BradyIsTheMan12
04-16-2010, 12:27 AM
At this point no. Portland hasn't been able to have their full squad out there for most of the season. It's remarkable that we have been able to win 50 games with Oden out for most of the year, Pryz out for most of the year, Roy out for 17 games , Rudy out for 15-20 games, Batum out for almost half the year; you can see the point I'm trying to make. The Thunder need a big that can get rebounds and play tough d to get to where we are when we are healthy; hell we still had a better record than the Thunder with all of that. This just shows how good of a coach Nate McMillian is and how much depth Pritch has given to our roster.

SteveNash
04-16-2010, 12:29 AM
Portland:
Oden: 61 games missed.
Przybilla: 52 games missed.
Batum: 45 games missed.
Fernandez: 20 games missed.
Roy: 17 games missed.

Thunder:
Collison:7 games missed
Krstic: 6 games missed
Harden: 6 games missed

Thunder have been remarkably healthy this year and they still couldn't post a better record than the Blazers. Thunder should drop off next year while Blazers get better.

tp13baby
04-16-2010, 12:43 AM
Portland:

Thunder:

Thunder have been remarkably healthy this year and they still couldn't post a better record than the Blazers. Thunder should drop off next year while Blazers get better.

they won't drop off. Soon enough it will be a 4 way race for the NWD

Paulliwali
04-16-2010, 12:59 AM
depending on the injuries, no one has able to witness the power of an all healthy portland team, which has a lot of potential.

but right now OKC is better than portland with their current active roster

BradyIsTheMan12
04-16-2010, 01:04 AM
depending on the injuries, no one has able to witness the power of an all healthy portland team, which has a lot of potential.

but right now OKC is better than portland with their current active roster

How so? We had just as good of a record and just beat them twice in the last few weeks.

ryder78c
04-16-2010, 01:07 AM
whoever said thunder are better smoke alot of crack! portlands bench plays just as good as the thunder

ragee
04-16-2010, 01:22 AM
Uh... NO... We don't have Oden and Priz... We lost LA Batum, Roy, Outlaw, Camby, Rudy for different periods of this season and guess what? We still ended on top of the Thunders...

soonabooma
04-16-2010, 01:25 AM
Portland:

Thunder:

If you're expecting the Thunder to drop off, then it's gonna be a long season for you son. We haven't even made any major moves. The only needs that OKC has addressed by way of free agent/trade are Thabo Sefolosha-defensive stopper, and Eric Maynor-backup PG. That's it. We haven't done anything as far as bringing in a big man. It's basically a bunch of draft picks from the last 3 years doing all our work. And yet this team played at a level high enough to allow them to compete with pretty much any team in the league on most nights. And we're still just about the youngest team in the league, with the exception of Memphis, but you wouldn't know it by watching the team this year. So what's gonna happen when we actually bring in some help? It's gonna be difficult for ANY team to beat us. So don't expect OKC to be going anywhere but UP.

ragee
04-16-2010, 03:34 AM
If you're expecting the Thunder to drop off, then it's gonna be a long season for you son. We haven't even made any major moves. The only needs that OKC has addressed by way of free agent/trade are Thabo Sefolosha-defensive stopper, and Eric Maynor-backup PG. That's it. We haven't done anything as far as bringing in a big man. It's basically a bunch of draft picks from the last 3 years doing all our work. And yet this team played at a level high enough to allow them to compete with pretty much any team in the league on most nights. And we're still just about the youngest team in the league, with the exception of Memphis, but you wouldn't know it by watching the team this year. So what's gonna happen when we actually bring in some help? It's gonna be difficult for ANY team to beat us. So don't expect OKC to be going anywhere but UP.

Uh... This thread is about whether OKC has surpassed Portland already... It is not about how OKC might or might not be good in the next couple of years... I like the Thunders especially because of Green and Westbrook but they are faced with the same dilemma of the Blazers... It is not possible to keep all these young talent especially if you are bringing in more help... Hopefully, they make the right decisions and be a really good team in the future... As of right now though, they still haven't surpassed the Blazers in my opinion...

ntat
04-16-2010, 04:25 AM
well who is the 8 seed?

uws
04-16-2010, 06:04 AM
they have, they are young and explosive. portland is always injured every year and have never put anything together. next year thunder will be top contenders

ragee
04-16-2010, 06:17 AM
they have, they are young and explosive. portland is always injured every year and have never put anything together. next year thunder will be top contenders

Always been injured every year? Really? Oden is... Not the rest of the Blazers... The injuries that they have suffered the last couple of years are nothing compared to this year... Even the head coach got injured... Haven't put up anything? Dude, even with the injuries, we were still able to manage to land the 6th spot... 2 spots better than the young, healthy and explosive Thunders...

Hawkeye15
04-16-2010, 07:48 AM
won't know until the Blazers are healthy. If that ever happens anyways.

Carey
04-16-2010, 08:20 AM
Im a OKC fan and i'll be real. Portland is clearly a better team because of a few things. They execute on offense much better then we do offensively, They get more production up front from their starting center, they also have vets that can have huge games at any moment like Miller and Camby. I dont think we are that far off, if we can add a nice solid veteran big man(maybe we raid Portland because i dont think they'll sign Pryzbilla and Camby)who can act as a bridge to Ibaka and Mullens, and maybe a vet on the wing that can shoot from outside then i think we will be ok. But for now Portland is better