PDA

View Full Version : 4/15 - Home Plate Umpire

zack4070
04-15-2010, 07:05 PM
Sorry probably a stupid thing to rant about.......but did anyone just want to kill today's Home Plate Umpire.

semperfi
04-15-2010, 07:07 PM
Was he consistent?

gocubs2118
04-15-2010, 07:10 PM
He was the opposite of consistent.

zack4070
04-15-2010, 07:12 PM
He was the opposite of consistent.
Yeah I kind of wish DLee would of hit him in the head with his bat.

croce_99
04-15-2010, 07:18 PM
If DLee gets kicked out...then that should say enough

Vandelay16
04-15-2010, 07:22 PM
No consistency at all.

zack4070
04-15-2010, 07:33 PM
VIA WIKI ON UMPIRE ANGEL HERNANDEZ: A 2006 Sports Illustrated poll of Major League players listed Hernandez as the third worst umpire in MLB.[8]

zack4070
04-15-2010, 07:35 PM
Its the same guy that booted Steve McMichael out of a game in 2001!

semperfi
04-15-2010, 07:44 PM
They say umpires who are good, you don't know their name. Angel Hernandez is a household name. You can put the rest together.

Max Power
04-15-2010, 09:08 PM
Wasn't today's ump named Angel Campos?

No more umps named Angel.

scrubs101
04-15-2010, 09:12 PM
That guy needs to be murderized.

StrandedCub
04-15-2010, 09:17 PM
I don't have a problem with a big or small strike zone as long as its consistent throughout the game. But this was the exact opposite of that. It was stupid, and I am glad DLee let it be known.

redwhitenblue
04-15-2010, 09:17 PM
VIA WIKI ON UMPIRE ANGEL HERNANDEZ: A 2006 Sports Illustrated poll of Major League players listed Hernandez as the third worst umpire in MLB.[8]
Wrong guy.

Today's umpire was named Campos.

Diehdcubsfan2
04-15-2010, 09:23 PM
Started way to small, then way way to large.

Captain Obvious
04-15-2010, 11:43 PM
I have a real problem with the way that the umpires are handled in the MLB.

In Little League, we have about 40 umpires come out each year, it varies year to year, but about 40 on the average come out. We have like 6 weeks of training, once a week, then we start the season. By the end of the year, it gets down to about 8 umpires working on a daily basis.

I think that it should be the same way with the majors leagues. Use spring training to take all the umpires and get them sorted out. That way those umpires at AAA, have a legit shot at being in the bigs. And the Neifi Perez's of the umpiring kingdom, get demoted. But, that is just how I would do it.

cubsneedmiracle
04-16-2010, 08:56 AM
Wasn't the worst umpiring I've ever seen.

Lee was wrong though. Pitch was down the middle, right above the belt. That would qualify as a strike.

By far the worst umpire I've ever seen was Rob Drake.

Cess
04-16-2010, 10:38 AM
C.B. Bucknor gets my vote for worst umpire ever. And the players tend to agree. He's been voted as the worst umpire in the Major Leagues by MLB players at least twice that I know of. Not only is he bad, he's also cocky about it. No professionalism to the guy at all.

Nepotism seems to be the worst problem in MLB umpires though. Just because daddy was an ump doesn't give just any guy the right to put on the blue. I've heard that the only way to get to the Major Leagues as an ump is if you went to the Wendelstadt school. Anyone know if that's true?

ggross
04-16-2010, 11:36 AM
C.B. Bucknor gets my vote for worst umpire ever. And the players tend to agree. He's been voted as the worst umpire in the Major Leagues by MLB players at least twice that I know of. Not only is he bad, he's also cocky about it. No professionalism to the guy at all.

Nepotism seems to be the worst problem in MLB umpires though. Just because daddy was an ump doesn't give just any guy the right to put on the blue. I've heard that the only way to get to the Major Leagues as an ump is if you went to the Wendelstadt school. Anyone know if that's true?

Buckner is definitely the worst. Him or anyone umping behind the plate for a Cubs game. As any good Cubs fan will tell you... they always get screwed:D

But I really do think that many umps do LIKE to rattle big Z. People will say it's because he's so inconsistent with his control that he doesn't get a lot of close calls, but I think the umps really like to pick on Z for whatever reason. They stare him down a lot.

redwhitenblue
04-16-2010, 02:16 PM
Wasn't the worst umpiring I've ever seen.

Lee was wrong though. Pitch was down the middle, right above the belt. That would qualify as a strike.

By far the worst umpire I've ever seen was Rob Drake.
Lee wasn't wrong, and it wasn't right over the plate.

It was inside, just above the belt-buckle. And it wasn't called a strike all day.

ty_smitty21
04-16-2010, 02:46 PM
speaking of the game that McMichael got thrown out by Angel Hernandez..... does anyone remember the flippin craaazy finish to that game? The Cubs won on a ridiculous play, where the ball was being thrown all over the field. I found the audio from that game somewhere once, but now I can't find it. One of my favorite Cub games ever.

Chazm
04-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Im an umpire and I come to realize that you will always piss one team or another. I didn't watch the game yesterday so I didn't see the strike zone but these guys are in there for a reason. They are professionals and this job is a LOT more difficult than you realize....its easy to be the sofa umpire

Ron!n
04-16-2010, 06:24 PM
Lee wasn't wrong, and it wasn't right over the plate.

It was inside, just above the belt-buckle. And it wasn't called a strike all day.
Thats really the biggest issue. That same pitch wasnt called all day long. If youre going to have a crappy zone at least keep it consistent.

Captain Obvious
04-17-2010, 12:04 AM
Im an umpire and I come to realize that you will always piss one team or another. I didn't watch the game yesterday so I didn't see the strike zone but these guys are in there for a reason. They are professionals and this job is a LOT more difficult than you realize....its easy to be the sofa umpire

I am an umpire too. It really isn't that hard, you just have to be confident and you will get the calls right.

redwhitenblue
04-17-2010, 06:36 AM
I was an umpire for years. I disagree with you.

Chazm
04-17-2010, 09:38 PM
You guys think that umpiring in the MLB wouldn't be difficult? Im guessing they are there for a reason

Yagyu+
04-17-2010, 10:00 PM
What were the numbers last year? Umps only got calls right 82-89% of the time?

AlwaysNextYear
04-18-2010, 11:24 PM

This is not the only way but basically it is one of the main ways. I'm a college umpire and a friend of mine went to that camp, its 6 weeks long and there are umpires from all over the world. you umpire simulations and he told me they give you super weird scenarios that you wouldnt think would ever happen and they treat it like a real game. A story he told me from a scenario was left handed batter stepped into hit against a righty pitcher, just as he was in his windup the batter jumped out of the right handed batters box and into the left handers batters box and swung and hit a home run. my friend told me he let the home run stand and all the people running the clinic bashed him for the call and they let him have it he said it was pretty intense. So you all may think umpiring is easy but to get to the big leagues is a lot of hard work.

Also remember that the umpire isnt there to make the right call he is just there to make a call (kind of $hitty way of thinking but thats what all the camps say). if you didnt have umpires one team would think a runner was out the other team would think runner was safe, so the umpire is just an impartial judge who makes a call.

Milnertime
04-19-2010, 12:06 AM
Here's the pitch f/x data of that game for those who are interested.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfx/szone.php?pitchSel=all&game=gid_2010_04_15_milmlb_chnmlb_1/&innings=yyyyyyyyy&s_type=&sp_type=1&h_size=700&v_size=500&extraStr=|4/15/2010|Milwaukee%20Brewers%20@%20Chicago%20Cubs

Chazm
04-20-2010, 11:01 AM
From the looks of that graph it seems that the brewers got called a little worse than us. There is a red triangle well outside the zone which says it was called a strike by a cubs pitcher. And there are multiple green squares well in the strike zone that were called balls by a brewers pitcher