PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Player of the Year? Why not?

HoopsDrive
04-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Right now we have the DPOY which is given to the top defensive player of the season. The DPOY obviously favors bigs immensely (rightfully so). In the past 15 years, there has been only 2 guards that won the DPOY (Artest and Payton).

Why not have an OPOY? I emphasize this: it does NOT mean that the award would be given to the scoring champion. The OPOY would take into account shooting efficiency (field, 3pt and FT), chances created for others and overall, how much the player was important to the team's offensive system.

In other words, yes, it would definitely prioritize backcourt players immensely. Guys like Nash and LBJ would of definitely dominated this award in past years if it was given out. But why not? We have the DPOY right now, shouldn't it make sense to have an OPOY too?

MaHaRaJaH
04-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Offense is different for every position like you said, because each position has a different approach. I think for defense, the approach is relatively the same. ie man to man

blams
04-15-2010, 01:33 PM
Good Idea.

tredigs
04-15-2010, 02:18 PM
Football does this, baseball does this, I'm actually not sure why basketball doesn't do this. It would basically go to the runner up for the MVP award every year. Or the 2nd runner up if the runner up was the defensive player of the year. So in this case Durant.

I don't know -- just another random award, but you're right there is really no reason why they shouldn't have it.

Chacarron
04-15-2010, 02:26 PM
So 2 awards for Lebron every season to make him feel better about not winning a championship? Sure why not.

Giaps
04-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Scoring title is enough.

thekmp211
04-15-2010, 03:12 PM
Football does this, baseball does this, I'm actually not sure why basketball doesn't do this. It would basically go to the runner up for the MVP award every year. Or the 2nd runner up if the runner up was the defensive player of the year. So in this case Durant.

I don't know -- just another random award, but you're right there is really no reason why they shouldn't have it.

it makes sense in football because different players play offense and defense. it makes sense in baseball because there is a distinct change of field.

the mvp award has ostensibly become the offensive player of the year award. the thread is clearly hinting at giving durant some sort of recognition, ironically if this award did exist he wouldn't have won it this year. by any measurement lebron james has been the most dominant, efficient offensive player in the league. i don't see the point

Hellcrooner
04-15-2010, 03:12 PM
Because we already have enough bal hogs given how media hypes the scorers.

SteveNash
04-15-2010, 03:21 PM
No, just remove the DPOY award, have the best players win MVP.

JermanJaysFan
04-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Offense is different for every position like you said, because each position has a different approach. I think for defense, the approach is relatively the same. ie man to man
I don't think this is anywhere close to being true. The fact that each position approachs defense differently is the reason why guys like Dwight win- they are put in a defensive position to get gaudy block numbers, while the true "best defenders" that have nothing to show for it (because they have a completely different approach to defense) like Battier get gypped.

it makes sense in football because different players play offense and defense. it makes sense in baseball because there is a distinct change of field.

the mvp award has ostensibly become the offensive player of the year award. the thread is clearly hinting at giving durant some sort of recognition, ironically if this award did exist he wouldn't have won it this year. by any measurement lebron james has been the most dominant, efficient offensive player in the league. i don't see the point
Exactly. Rightly or wrongly, the MVP is the offensive player of the year award.

td0tsfinest
04-15-2010, 03:53 PM

Sorry man but I completely disagree. I don't think DPOY is based on a players ability to play lock down defense but rather his contribution to the team defense as a whole.

Both Dwight Howard and Kevin Garnett are good man to man defenders but I think it was their contribution to the team defense as whole that led them to becoming great defenders in this league and to DPOY awards.

RadiantShot
04-15-2010, 03:54 PM
We have one. It's called the MVP. Lebron's going to keep winning it every year, and Dwight will get overlooked.

SteveNash
04-15-2010, 03:56 PM
We have one. It's called the MVP. Lebron's going to keep winning it every year, and Dwight will get overlooked.

Perhaps Dwight will win an MVP when he actually leads his team. And then he'll have to lead his team to the best record in the NBA.

td0tsfinest
04-15-2010, 03:57 PM

Yup I agree. The MVP has become the offensive player of the year.

Just look at the people who have won it. Kobe, Nash, Dirk.

While KD's 30.1 PPG is impressive, Lebron's 29.7 PPG and 8.6 APG are better offensive numbers.

jackdawson
04-15-2010, 05:55 PM
No, league doesn't want to see more ballhogs shooting 30+ shots every game. Scoring title is what you are talkin about, with just a different name.

ARMIN12NBA
04-15-2010, 06:36 PM
Yup I agree. The MVP has become the offensive player of the year.

Just look at the people who have won it. Kobe, Nash, Dirk.

While KD's 30.1 PPG is impressive, Lebron's 29.7 PPG and 8.6 APG are better offensive numbers.

Why include Kobe with those other two? :laugh:

Raidaz4Life
04-15-2010, 06:38 PM
I like it.... an award meant to showcase the talents of Monta Ellis one of the most talented players in the league who constantly is being overlooked:mad::mad::mad:

Ragun
04-15-2010, 06:39 PM
lebron will win it every years. 30 ppg 8 apg. cant beat that.

mikantsass
04-15-2010, 06:42 PM
they have the MVP and Scoring Title

JLynn943
04-15-2010, 06:48 PM
Right now we have the DPOY which is given to the top defensive player of the season. The DPOY obviously favors bigs immensely (rightfully so). In the past 15 years, there has been only 2 guards that won the DPOY (Artest and Payton).

Why not have an OPOY? I emphasize this: it does NOT mean that the award would be given to the scoring champion. The OPOY would take into account shooting efficiency (field, 3pt and FT), chances created for others and overall, how much the player was important to the team's offensive system.
In other words, yes, it would definitely prioritize backcourt players immensely. Guys like Nash and LBJ would of definitely dominated this award in past years if it was given out. But why not? We have the DPOY right now, shouldn't it make sense to have an OPOY too?

If there was an actual method to determining who won OPOY and these were the factors, Nash would win it every year. I remember an article not too long ago where shooting efficiency was considered and Nash was #1 all-time. Couple that with how important he is to that team and the amount of creating he does, and there's no way he should ever not get it. (and no, I'm not a Suns fan)

HoopsDrive
04-15-2010, 06:52 PM

Exactly what I was thinking. I see no reason not to give out one seeing how they have one specifically designed for defense.

I wouldn't of put this thread up if the scoring title actually mattered. As of now, they don't hand out any awards for the scoring champ, it's just a formal title. The idea was to incorporate other offensive elements of the game such as assists and shooting % in addition to PPG to come up with the OPOY.

Toenail Clipper
04-15-2010, 06:52 PM
Nah, it's just called scoring title.

RadiantShot
04-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Perhaps Dwight will win an MVP when he actually leads his team. And then he'll have to lead his team to the best record in the NBA.

Perhaps he lead them to the 2nd best record in the league.
Perhaps he's their defense.
Perhaps he's going to show you in June what you've obviously been missing out on. Tune in bud.

TmacBryant
04-15-2010, 07:30 PM
no, we already have scoring title for a reason.

dtmagnet
04-15-2010, 07:43 PM
Isn't that called the scoring title?

(DET)#1 ALL DAY
04-15-2010, 07:52 PM
perfect idea kevin durant will win 15 before hes done:)

HoopsDrive
04-15-2010, 08:59 PM
no, we already have scoring title for a reason.

Isn't that called the scoring title?

I wouldn't of made this thread if they actually handed out an award for being the top scorer of a season. They don't.

Doogolas
04-15-2010, 09:02 PM
I like it.... an award meant to showcase the talents of Monta Ellis one of the most talented players in the league who constantly is being overlooked:mad::mad::mad:

:laugh2: You mean one of the biggest chuckers and most inefficient players in the league? Yeah. Good choice.

Ovratd1up
04-15-2010, 09:19 PM
They already have it, it's called the MVP.

RadiantShot
04-15-2010, 09:22 PM
^
Nice creativity.
<3

Ovratd1up
04-15-2010, 09:46 PM
^
Nice creativity.
<3

Hahaha, I was hesitant to post it because it was something that would definitely be there by page 1. But I skimmed through and didn't read your post. Anyway I don't even really believe what I said, I thought I would just look like a cool cat for criticizing the authorities :eyebrow:.

RadiantShot
04-15-2010, 09:51 PM
^
Jk. It's cool. :3

blah-blah
04-15-2010, 10:12 PM

well the better player usually wins it and lebron is clearly the better player

RadiantShot
04-15-2010, 10:27 PM

Yeah. Clearly. I'm not under-rating Lebron's talent by any means. He SHOULD win the MVP, but in this day and age, that's how it will always be. Even if Dwight's PPG was 24, I still think Lebron would get it, which wouldn't make any logical sense whatsoever.

ragee
04-15-2010, 10:41 PM
I'll pass on this one... The MVP usually is the most effective offensive player...

bluesens
04-15-2010, 10:43 PM
good idea!

MacFitz92
04-15-2010, 10:49 PM
We already have the scoring title.

MacFitz92
04-15-2010, 10:54 PM

I'm not a Magic fan or a Dwight fan.Bbut how can you say he is clearly the better player. Dwight should easily be #2 and get some #1 votes. It irritates me to see the most dominant presence in the NBA today get overshadowed. Has LeBron been the best player in the NBA this year? Probably, but there is no question if he is, that Dwight was the 2nd best. Leading in FG%, RPG, and BPG? The more I think about, the more I think Dwight is deserving of an MVP. The only thing that makes me pick LeBron, is he's on the best team.

HoopsDrive
04-15-2010, 11:05 PM
I understand the point of not having an OPOY award because it overlaps with the MVP.

But the scoring title? There are no awards given to the player that leads the season in PPG. None whatsoever. If there was, I wouldn't be making this thread in the first place. It's just a formal title.

RadiantShot
04-15-2010, 11:25 PM
I'm not a Magic fan or a Dwight fan.Bbut how can you say he is clearly the better player. Dwight should easily be #2 and get some #1 votes. It irritates me to see the most dominant presence in the NBA today get overshadowed. Has LeBron been the best player in the NBA this year? Probably, but there is no question if he is, that Dwight was the 2nd best. Leading in FG%, RPG, and BPG? The more I think about, the more I think Dwight is deserving of an MVP. The only thing that makes me pick LeBron, is he's on the best team.

:clap: I think I like you Macfitz ;)

jmtapia
04-15-2010, 11:50 PM
thats why you have a scoring title...

iFYouSeekAmy
04-15-2010, 11:59 PM
Monta Ellis.

Only if this fantasy comes true.