PDA

View Full Version : The Official Atlanta Hawks 2010 Playoffs Thread! LET'S GO!!!

Bravo95
04-15-2010, 02:43 AM
It's that time again...

ATLANTA HAWKS vs. MILWAUKEE BUCKS - 1ST ROUND MATCHUP

Game 1 - Sat April 17 - Milwaukee at Atlanta 5:30 PM ESPN

Game 2 - Tue April 20 - Milwaukee at Atlanta 7:00 PM NBATV

Game 3 - Sat April 24 - Atlanta at Milwaukee 7:00 PM ESPN

Game 4 - Mon April 26 - Atlanta at Milwaukee TBD TBD

Game 5 * Wed April 28 - Milwaukee at Atlanta TBD TBD

Game 6 * Fri April 30 - Atlanta at Milwaukee TBD TBD

Game 7 * Sun May 2 - Milwaukee at Atlanta TBD TBD

All games also to be televised by either Fox Sports South or SportSouth.
predictions? matchup breakdowns? thoughts on scheduling?

for some time, it's been obvious based on interviews from rick sund and michael gearon that new contracts for woodson & joe will depend on what happens in these playoffs. i'm sweeping aside all prior criticism of this team and its coach and i'm just going to judge them from game 1 forward.

every goal that the organization was aiming for was accomplished: every key player was re-signed, they added backcourt depth, stayed healthy, won 50+ games, got the #3 seed, have a winnable first round matchup... so now what? time to show and prove, gentlemen

SB75
04-15-2010, 11:46 AM
I think the Hawks can possibly sweep this series, But to be on the safe side I'll say hawks in 5. With No Bogut on the inside, Woody should go inside to Josh and Al early and often. I'm predicting both to have a big series.

Hawkalicious
04-15-2010, 12:02 PM
I think the Hawks can possibly sweep this series, But to be on the safe side I'll say hawks in 5. With No Bogut on the inside, Woody should go inside to Josh and Al early and often. I'm predicting both to have a big series.

Thats what I voted (Hawks in 5) on the NBA forum. I think some people don't understand how much Bogut means for the Bucks, and that he wont be playing. This would be a VERY tough series if Bogut was in there. Now, they are relying on a rookie PG to carry them? Uh, Hawks win this thing rather easily.

SB75
04-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Thats what I voted (Hawks in 5) on the NBA forum. I think some people don't understand how much Bogut means for the Bucks, and that he wont be playing. This would be a VERY tough series if Bogut was in there. Now, they are relying on a rookie PG to carry them? Uh, Hawks win this thing rather easily.

Agreed..... I think a lot of fans don't realize how good Bogut actually is.

BCN connection
04-15-2010, 01:02 PM

Totally agree.

Sweeping this series would be very important for the Hawks in terms of confidence and resting before the series against The Magic.

Go Hawks!

Bravo95
04-15-2010, 01:14 PM
the bucks took 74 threes in the 3 games combined, but only hit 26 of em. hawks' perimeter defense was inconsistent throughout the season, but milwaukee was one of the teams who they did pretty well against. that's gotta continue and improve b/c both charlotte & orlando will put up a lot of threes also

salmons scored 28 or more in each game. they've gotta figure out a better way to contain him. not saying let joe guard him all game, every game... but woodson's gotta send more traps at least. hawks are good at playing passing lanes and getting steals for transition buckets.

other than that, the scheduling jumps out. they won that last game in milwaukee, but still gotta hope the long layoff between game 2 and 3 doesn't affect too much, since they've struggled for energy and been inconsistent on the road.

HulkHorford15
04-15-2010, 01:32 PM
Bucks in 5, Magic in 7, Cavs in 7, and Nuggets in 4!! Hawks in the Championship!!! LOL Man that would be great, but really one series at a time. Hawks in 4 vs. Bucks

Pmeehan
04-15-2010, 07:43 PM
cant wait for this series. got 10th row seats in 113 for the whole playoffs :clap:

Georgiafornian
04-15-2010, 11:12 PM
In order for the Hawks to be willing to give JJ top tier free agent money he is going to have to prove alot in these playoffs. The Hawks have improved each of the last 3 seasons but if they dont take it to the next level this time around they might of hit their ceiling. I know they have young talent but if Joe goes they will be stuck in the middle of the east for a while. This has happened to several good teams throughout the years, we need JJ to be a superstar this postseason!

Bravo95
04-17-2010, 04:12 PM
the boys are in the playoffs with their best chance in forever to do something special if they act right. we'll cross that other bridge when we get to it (the wade thread)... for now, there's other more important stuff to discuss... like round 1

rufo4100
04-17-2010, 04:17 PM
Hawks in 4. Bogut being out is a huge break for you guys as the only true advantage they had was a stud center over you. With him out you guys cruise to round 2

Bravo95
04-17-2010, 08:09 PM
:sigh: same 4th quarter woes... "but a win is a win"

Bravo95
04-18-2010, 01:13 PM
looking at the box score.... they did a good job on salmons (6 for 18) but man jennings went off. they've gotta find a way to help bibby guarding on the perimeter

ugafan
04-19-2010, 01:20 PM
Honestly, I want Joe to go. If that means losing this year then so be it, the Hawks will never even make it past the 2nd round with him as our best player. Ideal situation that's at least somewhat realistic:

Acquire Amare then:
PG:Bibby/Teague
SG:Crawford
SF:Smith
PF:Horford
C:Stoudemire

I feel much more comfortable going forward with that than what we have now. I will lose all faith in Sund if he signs Joe long term.

HulkHorford15
04-19-2010, 01:35 PM
Honestly, I want Joe to go. If that means losing this year then so be it, the Hawks will never even make it past the 2nd round with him as our best player. Ideal situation that's at least somewhat realistic:

Acquire Amare then:
PG:Bibby/Teague
SG:Crawford
SF:Smith
PF:Horford
C:Stoudemire

I feel much more comfortable going forward with that than what we have now. I will lose all faith in Sund if he signs Joe long term.

I completely agree that this is highly realistic. BUT As much as I love Josh Smith and his transformation this year, I think we'd be hurting him if we move him to 3. He's worked so hard on not handling the ball and not taking 3's. We all know Josh struggles with his handle and the "new" Josh is great. Plus you eliminate to a degree his help side defensive blocking skills, by 3's on other teams stretching the defense.

I think that we need to look towards finding a Small forward who is a Granger/Gay type. Not particularly those two guys, but that style of play. I love Marvin, but if we lose Joe I'm not sure he can help make up for the lack of points.

Xavier Henry, Damion James, Lance Stephenson, Devin Ebanks, Stanley Robinson, Quincy Pondexter, De' Sean Butler, and Marquis Gilstrap come to mind in the draft.

Bravo95
04-19-2010, 02:00 PM
bibby & crawford as the starting guards? must not plan on stopping opposing backcourts from dropping 70 every game.

Hawkalicious
04-20-2010, 12:22 AM
I completely agree that this is highly realistic. BUT As much as I love Josh Smith and his transformation this year, I think we'd be hurting him if we move him to 3. He's worked so hard on not handling the ball and not taking 3's. We all know Josh struggles with his handle and the "new" Josh is great. Plus you eliminate to a degree his help side defensive blocking skills, by 3's on other teams stretching the defense.

I think that we need to look towards finding a Small forward who is a Granger/Gay type. Not particularly those two guys, but that style of play. I love Marvin, but if we lose Joe I'm not sure he can help make up for the lack of points.

Xavier Henry, Damion James, Lance Stephenson, Devin Ebanks, Stanley Robinson, Quincy Pondexter, De' Sean Butler, and Marquis Gilstrap come to mind in the draft.

+1

Thank you thank you thank you. You are a wise man. Everyone loves to say Josh is a 3, he's not. Thats not a knock on him, he is just not a SF. He is developing into a GREAT PF, and his strength and supreme athleticism more than make up for the inch or two he gives up in height at the position.

ugafan
04-20-2010, 10:33 AM
+1

Thank you thank you thank you. You are a wise man. Everyone loves to say Josh is a 3, he's not. Thats not a knock on him, he is just not a SF. He is developing into a GREAT PF, and his strength and supreme athleticism more than make up for the inch or two he gives up in height at the position.

How do you feel about the whole JJ contract situation?

Hawkalicious
04-20-2010, 12:00 PM
How do you feel about the whole JJ contract situation?

We would really be mortgaging our future to give him a max contract at his age. I would like to see us make a big money, but short term deal for him. He will probably turn it down though, and if he does, I completely understand.

Moving forward, I think we could get by with Jamal starting at the two for a year. Yes, I know it makes us small, but there aren't many other options. I haven't seen the free agent list for the summer of 2011, but hopefully there would be a guy there we could get. We aren't a laughing stock anymore, and Atlanta is an attractive city for NBA players, so we actually have a lot going for us in that department.

I obviously haven't thought this all the way through just yet, but its a start.

HulkHorford15
04-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Sund has made good decisions in his time since he's been in Atlanta. I believe if we lose out on Joe and we know before the draft I could see us moving up in the draft somehow, trading our 1st this year and a future first enable to move up and get a 2-guard of the future such as Evan Turner or some other top 2 Guard. I don't know what pick it is, but Oklahoma City has yet another lottery pick this year and they have said they don't want to add more young players. I'm just scratching for ideas. I started a thread that maybe we have a chacne at Wade if he opts out, but I don't think the money would work out. If we did get Wade yes we would have a small back court, but he D-Wade he's no slouch on either end of the floor.

Bravo95
04-20-2010, 04:32 PM
ok... the only way i see joe leaving is if woodson is fired, which won't happen if this team is at least competitive through the 2nd round, and i also think that'll guarantee a near-max deal for joe. i think he's tied to woodson because he gives joe the freedom to do what he wants in the offense. plus local media is relatively easy on him so why would he want to go to media pressure cookers in chicago, new york or anywhere else? on top of having a better team overall here already? just doesn't make sense. if he goes to these other rumored teams, either he'll lose freedom to do what he wants or he'll basically be rebuilding at almost 30 years old.

the city and organization just fit the player's personality. the best thing woodson has done is stopped talking about his contract situation to the ajc and sports radio, which didn't help either side (ownership or woodson). if somehow it all falls apart, i doubt another big name signs here in his place, so i'd advocate adding more horses to the bench.

Hulk6
04-20-2010, 08:31 PM
Gl

Bravo95
04-20-2010, 09:29 PM
good performance... and on to milwaukee we go

Bravo95
04-23-2010, 10:57 AM
this gap between games is ridiculous

HulkHorford15
04-23-2010, 12:09 PM
this gap between games is ridiculous

I know right! I'm glad I am a basketball fan in general and enjoy watching other teams other than my own. Loved when the Thunder beat the Lakers last night, and the Bulls to a degree. But still I hate having to wait to go up 3-0 on Saturday.

Bravo95
04-23-2010, 12:37 PM
yeah with a layoff like this, energy is gonna be everything in game 3 - especially late in the game - which they had a problem with during the regular season.

SluggeR
04-27-2010, 08:53 PM
(1.)To be taken serious as a contender, the Hawks are gonna have to show-up on the road; this is past sad. (2.) To be taken serious as a contender the Hawks need to actually get an offensive system. The only play I see them run, is the "pick-n-alley-oop". Everybody getting the ball and going oneon-one aint gonna get it. I said it before the season started, that when the hawks move the ball around and run they are dangerous. Running pick-n-rolls won't hurt either. If your not gonna run any type of offensive system, you have to have a "jason kidd" type point that gets everybody easy baskets.

jjfan122
04-28-2010, 11:03 PM
(1.)To be taken serious as a contender, the Hawks are gonna have to show-up on the road; this is past sad. (2.) To be taken serious as a contender the Hawks need to actually get an offensive system. The only play I see them run, is the "pick-n-alley-oop". Everybody getting the ball and going oneon-one aint gonna get it. I said it before the season started, that when the hawks move the ball around and run they are dangerous. Running pick-n-rolls won't hurt either. If your not gonna run any type of offensive system, you have to have a "jason kidd" type point that gets everybody easy baskets.

Everyone on this forum has been saying that for a while now. Yea we can use a new point, but we need a better coach. I love mike but his game plan is horrible. The offensive system is basically jj. I mean jj is my favorite player and I love watching the ball in his hands but having the system being just him with the ball is ineffective. Teams now just double him and take him out the game, and the hawks lose.And like I said before woody's unpredictable rotation is ridculous. He can never get a set rotation. And as for being a good road team, I agree. The hawks are totally two different teams at home and on the road.

P.S. To all hawks fans, we can still win the series. It isn't over yet.

ugafan
04-28-2010, 11:28 PM
If losing means JJ is gone, I want to lose.

Hawkalicious
04-28-2010, 11:56 PM
** Disclaimer, when I refer to the Hawks, please exclude Al and Marvin. Everyone else applies**

So pissed... Normally I hate watching the NBA analysts after games like this bc I hate hearing all the bad things about the Hawks, but now, I'm sort of loving it.

I'm loving that they are ripping into the Hawks.

I love that they say this team has no passion.

I love that they say they don't care.

I love all the ways they are criticizing the Hawks, because they are right. This team has no balls. They don't care about winning championships. Some of them care about collecting a paycheck. Some of them care about scoring 20 points. Some of them care about making Sportscenter's Top 10. But none of them seem to care about "the ultimate" goal. There is no long term, lofty goals on this team. It's pathetic, really.

The Bucks are the better team, and deserve everything they get. They scrap for loose balls, they body up and move their feet on defense. They believe in each other. Kudos to those guys. I envy that team.

SluggeR
04-28-2010, 11:57 PM
UGAFAN, so do you think if joe is gone, woodson would actually develop ana offensive system? I don't think Joe is the problem, thelack of ana offensive system is the issue and the lack of having player to make the offensive end of the game easier for the other guys.

ugafan
04-29-2010, 12:08 AM
UGAFAN, so do you think if joe is gone, woodson would actually develop ana offensive system? I don't think Joe is the problem, thelack of ana offensive system is the issue and the lack of having player to make the offensive end of the game easier for the other guys.
I don't hate Joe or Woodson, I just don't think we can ever make it past the 2nd round with him as our best player. I think Woodson wouldn't get all the **** he gets if he had enough talent to actually compete. Perhaps our team hasn't preformed up to expectations, but our starting PG is completely washed up, and his back-up is average at best and even yet he barely plays because we usually have 2 SGs on the floor. I'd rather not re-sign Joe and acquire a true PG and a big man down low and let Crawford start. I know Crawford is a ball hog when he plays all those minutes, but I like that situation better than keeping the exact same players every year and settling for playoff mediocrity. Just my opinion.

Miltown34
04-29-2010, 01:41 PM
I don't hate Joe or Woodson, I just don't think we can ever make it past the 2nd round with him as our best player. I think Woodson wouldn't get all the **** he gets if he had enough talent to actually compete. Perhaps our team hasn't preformed up to expectations, but our starting PG is completely washed up, and his back-up is average at best and even yet he barely plays because we usually have 2 SGs on the floor. I'd rather not re-sign Joe and acquire a true PG and a big man down low and let Crawford start. I know Crawford is a ball hog when he plays all those minutes, but I like that situation better than keeping the exact same players every year and settling for playoff mediocrity. Just my opinion.

Yall talking about competing you have more than enough 2 get out the 1st round well it seemed

ugafan
04-29-2010, 04:33 PM
Yall talking about competing you have more than enough 2 get out the 1st round well it seemed

We can always make it past the 1st round, just never past the 2nd.

bucksfan31
04-29-2010, 04:53 PM
I can't believe you guys would even have the balls to rip on Joe Johnson, if you guys don't want a guy who gives effort or cares about winning, we will gladly take him. I'm not a Hawks fan, but i am a Bucks fan, and i can tell you that if it wasn't for him you guys would have been swept.

He's the only player i've seen on that team that cares about winning. The guy makes things happen. Don't get frusterated with Joe, it's called "playing against a really good defense". If you watched the TNT telecast last night they showed a picture that basically sums up your team. The coach was drawing up a play and the guys were starring off into space. Your team doesn't deserve to win. They expected this series to come easy, and now there getting tossed around.TOO MANY EGOS. Starting with Josh Smith. If you get rid of anyone it should be him.

If i have the wrong interpetation of Joe Johnson let me know. GOOD LUCK AT THE BC

MonJackson
04-29-2010, 06:04 PM
I can't believe you guys would even have the balls to rip on Joe Johnson, if you guys don't want a guy who gives effort or cares about winning, we will gladly take him. I'm not a Hawks fan, but i am a Bucks fan, and i can tell you that if it wasn't for him you guys would have been swept.

He's the only player i've seen on that team that cares about winning. The guy makes things happen. Don't get frusterated with Joe, it's called "playing against a really good defense". If you watched the TNT telecast last night they showed a picture that basically sums up your team. The coach was drawing up a play and the guys were starring off into space. Your team doesn't deserve to win. They expected this series to come easy, and now there getting tossed around.TOO MANY EGOS. Starting with Josh Smith. If you get rid of anyone it should be him.

If i have the wrong interpetation of Joe Johnson let me know. GOOD LUCK AT
THE BC

Yeah man Im with you minus the get rid of Josh

MonJackson
04-29-2010, 06:08 PM

I see you had a change of heart........"I hate Joe Johnson with all my heart. Joe Johnson is the reason this team is inconsistent". ugafan227

SluggeR
04-29-2010, 07:17 PM
does anyone think how the hawks do in the playoffs, will affect whether Joe stays or leave?

bucksfan31
04-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Yeah man Im with you minus the get rid of Josh

I'm not saying Josh isn't a good player, it's just that he isn't a team player, from what i've seen. Sure he can dominate once the team has a comfortable lead, but what player doesn't do better with a lead? Thats why I was so suprised that you guys pissed that game away, after Horford had that dunk, that felt like the deflater for the Bucks. there are only 2 players on that team i have respect for, Joe and Jamal. They want to win. Josh doesn't want to win, he wants to make the highlight reel.

PS: The dumbest thing Josh Smith has ever done was rip on the city of Milwaukee. You don't piss these fans off. Because our team lives off the energy from crowd, and those comments up't the intensity 10X more.

Miltown34
04-29-2010, 08:53 PM
We can always make it past the 1st round, just never past the 2nd.

Yea but he tlking about Wood' having enough players to compete...I'm saying if you guys can't talk about really compete if you can't get out the 1st round, unless you have a solution how you are going 2 get better....I mean if JJ leaves since everbody hates him almost, how are you going 2 replace him...I fear JJ as a Bucks fan

Miltown34
04-29-2010, 08:56 PM
The problem with ATL is that it's to much iso maybe you guys need a pure PG who can pass and get players easy baskets...team ball wins it, We know we had Mr. Redd

ugafan
04-29-2010, 09:44 PM
The problem with ATL is that it's to much iso maybe you guys need a pure PG who can pass and get players easy baskets...team ball wins it, We know we had Mr. Redd

You hit the nail on the head.

ugafan
04-29-2010, 09:46 PM
I see you had a change of heart........"I hate Joe Johnson with all my heart. Joe Johnson is the reason this team is inconsistent". ugafan227

If it was indeed him who wants to talk about why the team is inconsistent, then yes, I contradicted myself but for good reason.

Hawkalicious
04-30-2010, 12:54 PM
does anyone think how the hawks do in the playoffs, will affect whether Joe stays or leave?

No, flip that phrase around and its more accurate, though.