PDA

View Full Version : Stern: NBA will discuss issue of resting players

$ NyC $
04-14-2010, 06:58 PM
I looked around the forum and didn't see a thread about this.

"Stern: NBA will discuss issue of resting players

Posted Apr 14 2010 5:11PM

NEW YORK (AP) -- David Stern says the issue of players resting at the end of the regular season will be discussed among NBA executives, though he doesn't see anything coming of it.

The commissioner says he is "troubled by it, because it would be our preference that healthy players play," but says the decision is one that has always been left up to the teams.

The Cleveland Cavaliers have not played LeBron James since clinching the NBA's best record."

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/04/14/stern.conference.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

I think it would be dumb for the league to make a rule against this. The Cavs for example, get to rest LBJ since they worked hard to get the leagues best record. I think it should stay the way it is, up to the team to let their players rest or not.

DerekRE_3
04-14-2010, 07:04 PM
********. If teams want to rest their players, they should be able to.

MaHaRaJaH
04-14-2010, 07:04 PM
If LBJ started that game against the Bulls, Raps would be in the playoffs.
That's one issue.

Kakaroach
04-14-2010, 07:06 PM
********. If teams want to rest their players, they should be able to. Exactly, and its not like the league will be able to do that much anyway.

HoopsDrive
04-14-2010, 07:06 PM

+1

It's not just in basketball either. Why should there be a regulation telling teams that 'healthy players' must play. There's no other word for it, it's ********. What if that player who wanted to rest gets injured in-game? Wtf is Stern gonna do about it? ********. Let 'em rest if they want to, it's their decision, their consequence.

DerekRE_3
04-14-2010, 07:09 PM
If LBJ started that game against the Bulls, Raps would be in the playoffs.
That's one issue.

If the Raps played any kind of defense, they wouldn't be in a position like that.

Hellcrooner
04-14-2010, 07:11 PM
stern should decide if this is a SPORT or a SHOW.

If its a sport and means competition he should allow team todo what they think best in order to WIN when it matters.

If its a show then of course he has to make teams play their stars.

$ NyC $
04-14-2010, 07:12 PM
The teams work hard to put themselves in the position to rest their best players. Its not like they're gonna rest their best players during an important game.

GrumpyOldMan
04-14-2010, 07:13 PM
I'm a Raptor fan and have no problem with LBJ sitting out after Cleveland clinched. We should point fingers at our own people instead of being upset at a team looking out for it's own best interests.

COBY KARL
04-14-2010, 07:29 PM
stern should decide if this is a SPORT or a SHOW.

If its a sport and means competition he should allow team todo what they think best in order to WIN when it matters.

If its a show then of course he has to make teams play their stars.

This.

Seeing how Stern seems upset about this shows how much he cares more about the superstars in the league that make him money rather than the sport itself.

Rego247
04-14-2010, 07:33 PM
If the Raps played any kind of defense, they wouldn't be in a position like that.

true but like it or not, resting guys like bron, had a huge impact on the playoff race.

i dont think NBA wants the issue of players playing or not, to shape the playoff picture.

thats probably sterns' concern. like it or not bron would have had a huge impact in the chicago game, CLE may have won that game. jus saying.

Raph12
04-14-2010, 07:35 PM
At my old job, I get my week's workload done in like 2-3 days and just relax on Thursday and Friday... Sure my boss never knew, but it's not like it hurt my overall performance, I did what was required from me, that's all that matters.

DerekRE_3
04-14-2010, 07:39 PM
true but like it or not, resting guys like bron, had a huge impact on the playoff race.

i dont think NBA wants the issue of players playing or not, to shape the playoff picture.

thats probably sterns' concern. like it or not bron would have had a huge impact in the chicago game, CLE may have won that game. jus saying.

Right but that's not Cleveland's problem, that's just part of the game. The Cavs job is to do what they think is best to win a title. If that means resting Lebron or any other player, that's their right.

And honestly, does it matter who the Cavs sweep in the 1st round?

nygiants242
04-14-2010, 07:40 PM
:facepalm: David Stern :facepalm:

Atticus Finch
04-14-2010, 07:42 PM
This rule wont change a thing. Players would start using fake injuries to get out of it anyways.

heathonater
04-14-2010, 07:45 PM
stern cant and wont be able to tell teams to play their star players during the last 2-3 games of the season. as much as the top players get paid these days, it is smart for teams to hold out their star players for a couple games if they already have their playoff seeding and homecourt advantage locked up.

NBAfan4life
04-14-2010, 07:46 PM
It would not even matter even if they made a rule. Players could suit up a play a few minutes and sit the rest of the game. There will be loop holes that can be exploited even if a rule is in place

dougie5627
04-14-2010, 07:50 PM
completely pointless, its a teams decision as they have control of in game matters, next stern will want to pick each starting team. yeh its unfair they dont play the best players in games down the stretch,,, so what not their problem their job is done. stern would cry say kobe and lbj get injured last game of season and delay the playoffs. if a rule is enforced whats to stop a player playing 1 min and sitting the rest or just going out and walking around.

Wilson
04-14-2010, 08:13 PM
It would be a dumb rule but I wouldn't put it past the NBA. I remember a few years ago, Kobe was playing injured and wanted to sit out the all-star game but was told he would be suspended if he did. In the NBA, an exhibition game is worth the same as a regular season game in a conference which can be decided by a couple of games. It's stupid, but it's unfortunately just the way the league is run right now.

lakerssssssss
04-14-2010, 08:15 PM
Teams have the right to rest whatever players they want.

Wilson
04-14-2010, 08:21 PM
Another thing - how would the league create a rule which forced teams to play the Kobe Bryants and LeBron James', but not the Adam Morrisons and Cedric Jacksons? The league would essentially be announcing "We care more about money than winning", which is obviously not in their best interest.

kblo247
04-14-2010, 08:35 PM
Stern, you ever heard of a DNPCD?

There are plenty of healthy players on the active rosters who don't get off the bench, and I'm quite sure if a coach really wanted to he could just have his guy dress and not play while giving him one of those.

I know I would depending on what my record is and who my first round opponent is as a coach especially if I have relied on a small rotation.

At worst, guys would develop flu like symptoms all of a sudden to show him.

unwantedplayer
04-14-2010, 08:36 PM
Please Stern, GTFO

MTone8788
04-14-2010, 09:10 PM
Haha there is nothing to discuss. What rule could they possibly come up with?

Fine, make the healthy players play, the coach can take them out of the game as soon as they want and bench them haha. What will they do? Require a certain number of minutes for a traditional starter to play? What if he really is hurt? How do you determine that?

So stupid. Basketball is a job, if a coach gives a player off, that is a decision for that organization.

MaHaRaJaH
04-14-2010, 09:14 PM

Ofcourse!

But there's always that lol

effen5
04-14-2010, 09:25 PM

Umm why the **** would the Cavs care if they make an impact on the playoff race or not? They are locked for the number 1 position, they should be able to do whatever they want. Do you really think Lebron gives a **** if your Raps make the the playoffs or not? This is why you keep bringing up the Bulls right? That you guys didn't take advantage when Bulls were on a 10 game losing streak so instead of blaming the Raptors, you are blaming Bron for locking the number 1 seed and resting...right?

stawka
04-14-2010, 09:37 PM
I think guys like Kobe and LeBron deserve the luxury of resting players at the end. They led their teams to the best record in the conference and any team would love to do the same.

Imagine Dwight gets injured today, why take the chance when they have the #2 locked up?!

DodgerBulls
04-14-2010, 09:41 PM
It's just plain stupid anyways. There will always be a loop hole on this rule. For example, if players have to play.. let them play then have them sit the whole game after a possession or so. However, if Stern implement that players have to play a certain amount of minutes, then that would be the most ******** rule of all.

rhaas74
04-14-2010, 09:45 PM
Here is a simply loop hole. Have the players dress, then have them be a DNP - coaches decision. That was he is technically sitting out.

So no matter what Stern does, teams will still do what they want.

avrpatsfan
04-14-2010, 09:55 PM

This. Who gives a ****?

Sly Guy
04-14-2010, 10:24 PM
even tho resting players hurt my team's chances at the post season today, if you've won enough games to clinch the spot, you've won enough games to choose to rest the players if you desire to do so.