PDA

View Full Version : A toast to the Suns

OrderOfCook
04-14-2010, 03:51 PM
I'm a Raptors fan but I enjoy the game too much not to take an interest in other teams and in the sport generally. And I would just like to take a moment to acknowledge a team that doesn't get much credit around the NBA forum.

The Phoenix Suns.

People talk about what a surprise OKC and Miluakee and others have been--with good reason. But if you look back to October I think you'll find that most analysts put Phoenix in a battle for the playoffs--if in them at all. There's a few good reasons for this:

1) Alvin Gentry has done an amazing job developing the bench and young players of the team. From Dragic to Amundson theere has been mass improvement across the pine and Gentry deserves credit for that.

2) The MVP-esque play of Steve Nash. I'm not saying that he's in the hunt or anything for the award, but if you took away LeBron this season he'd be in the discussion for sure, it would be disrespectful to not bring up the name.

3) The improvement on defense. Yeah they're around the bottom third of the league, but that's a lot different from last in the league.

4) Amare. For all the off court issues that were both his fault and the media's fault for two years in a row regarding leaving the team, in addition to the injuries he has suffered, the guy has been dynamite. I didn't really use to have an opinion on Amare and you got the sense from reading the media reports around trade deadline that he was selfish, but I think his play since Feb 16th have proven that the man is a beast who is serious about winning in Phoenix.

So from a Toronto fan, cheers to you Phoenix.

RaptorizedKevin
04-14-2010, 04:09 PM
they will beat the spurs.

ManRam
04-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Amare has become one of the most underrated players in the league all over again. He's returned to beast form again...and Nash is still Nash. Still an incredibly fun team to watch.

I think they'll beat whoever they play, be it the Spurs or whoever. I still wish the Spurs were the 8th seed, since LA will be far more vulnerable in round 1 than any other round, and we all know they can more easily beat LA than OKC.

Tblaze
04-14-2010, 04:14 PM
You have a valid point, their accomplishments get overlooked by quite a bit. Always liked this team after my blazers.

RadiantShot
Actually, they're getting a lot of credit lately. Either way, they do go unnoticed much of the time, so they should have their praise once-in-a-while. They're playing great basketball. They're a ton of fun to watch in the Playoffs, and I'll definitely watch whatever series they're placed in.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
Suns just need to win tonight! :pray:

Raph12
04-14-2010, 05:56 PM
I got Jazz over them tonight.

TornadoOfSouls
04-14-2010, 06:33 PM
Same sh.it, different year. Their offense is great but their defense is still inadequate. It's been proven time and time again that you need to be balanced on both ends of the court to win a championship:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=nba_com-numbers.game-20100408

Shady66
04-14-2010, 06:39 PM
Cheers!

heathonater
04-14-2010, 07:47 PM
phoenix crushed a good denver team last night. with amare and nash playing like all stars right now, they will be a tough team to beat in the playoffs.

AI4MVP
04-14-2010, 08:53 PM
thanks for the recognition man!

weve been playing good ball. defensively were giving more of an effort then we did in the past and getting some stops when we need them.

offfensively we are three point machines, and when theyre not falling were letting amare go to work, which lately has been a guaranteed two points, three if he gets fouled.

amare is playing like ive never seen before. hes actually boxing out and grabbing rebounds at the highest point and making key blocks when need be.

what can i say about nash? hes an absolute offensive wizard and i dont see him slowing down at all.

the main difference this year is our bench. i dont think phoenix has had a bench this good in maybe forever. Barbosa got injured early in the season which gave Goran Dragic more playing time to develop and is now IMO one of the best backup points in the game. along with the hustle and three point shooting of Jared Dudley and Channing Frye, and Lou Amundson is the phoenix suns version of the birdman(blocking shots, pure hustle, rebounding, giving everything he has every possesion).

Robin Lopez being hurt really hurts the team becuz hes been HUGE for the suns, but we'll see how the suns fair.

i think we can shock alot of people

dodie53
04-14-2010, 09:11 PM
they will beat the spurs.

they will kill the spurs
;)

evadatam5150
04-14-2010, 09:20 PM
I'm a Raptors fan but I enjoy the game too much not to take an interest in other teams and in the sport generally. And I would just like to take a moment to acknowledge a team that doesn't get much credit around the NBA forum.

The Phoenix Suns.

People talk about what a surprise OKC and Miluakee and others have been--with good reason. But if you look back to October I think you'll find that most analysts put Phoenix in a battle for the playoffs--if in them at all. There's a few good reasons for this:

1) Alvin Gentry has done an amazing job developing the bench and young players of the team. From Dragic to Amundson theere has been mass improvement across the pine and Gentry deserves credit for that.

2) The MVP-esque play of Steve Nash. I'm not saying that he's in the hunt or anything for the award, but if you took away LeBron this season he'd be in the discussion for sure, it would be disrespectful to not bring up the name.

3) The improvement on defense. Yeah they're around the bottom third of the league, but that's a lot different from last in the league.

4) Amare. For all the off court issues that were both his fault and the media's fault for two years in a row regarding leaving the team, in addition to the injuries he has suffered, the guy has been dynamite. I didn't really use to have an opinion on Amare and you got the sense from reading the media reports around trade deadline that he was selfish, but I think his play since Feb 16th have proven that the man is a beast who is serious about winning in Phoenix.

So from a Toronto fan, cheers to you Phoenix.

Seriously...?? They're improved for sure but they're still the Suns and as such they still don't play enough D, Nash is flashy (Not an MVP guy) and still never met a driving offensive player he could stop going to the hoop and Amare still takes way too many jump shots for a Big.. So again sure, they had a decent year, but does this mean they're getting a ring.. NO...!!!! Jump on the bandwagon all you want but when Nash is letting guy's drive straight to the hoop and Amare is busy trying to sink 20 footers and they lose to a better team I'll be sitting kind of giggling at the silliness of this thread.. :clap:

0nekhmer
04-14-2010, 09:23 PM
i've watched a few games as of late. They're beasting it. Amare and Nash look like all stars

Bashna
04-14-2010, 09:25 PM
Seriously...?? They're improved for sure but they're still the Suns and as such they still don't play enough D, Nash is flashy (Not an MVP guy) and still never met a driving offensive player he could stop going to the hoop and Amare still takes way too many jump shots for a Big.. So again sure, they had a decent year, but does this mean they're getting a ring.. NO...!!!! Jump on the bandwagon all you want but when Nash is letting guy's drive straight to the hoop and Amare is busy trying to sink 20 footers and they lose to a better team I'll be sitting kind of giggling at the silliness of this thread.. :clap:

Have you been in a hole with Osama bin Laden this entire season? This isn't how the Suns have played at all this season. They used zone often to cover up their Defensive woes, and nash doesn't just LET people drive, you're an idiot. Amare has been taking fewer jumpers than ever this past 2 months. You crazy man. :facepalm:

evadatam5150
04-15-2010, 01:29 AM
Have you been in a hole with Osama bin Laden this entire season? This isn't how the Suns have played at all this season. They used zone often to cover up their Defensive woes, and nash doesn't just LET people drive, you're an idiot. Amare has been taking fewer jumpers than ever this past 2 months. You crazy man. :facepalm:

And I'll remind you of this post when the Suns get booted out of the Playoffs because of their defensive inefficiencies.. And YES Nash is not a defensive genius and doesn't guard anybody well.. And Amare still, in my opinion, takes way too many jump shots for a Big.. Sack up dude and face the facts, Phoenix is still Phoenix..

Shady66
04-15-2010, 01:37 AM
And I'll remind you of this post when the Suns get booted out of the Playoffs because of their defensive inefficiencies.. And YES Nash is not a defensive genius and doesn't guard anybody well.. And Amare still, in my opinion, takes way too many jump shots for a Big.. Sack up dude and face the facts, Phoenix is still Phoenix..

you clearly have not watch a suns game this year. amare takes 3-4 jumpers a game. and makes about 50 % of them. Everything else is in the paint/freethrow line. about the defence, again watch games before you judge on past seasons. Sack up dude and face the facts, you havnt watched the suns this year.

Bashna
04-15-2010, 01:56 AM
you clearly have not watch a suns game this year. amare takes 3-4 jumpers a game. and makes about 50 % of them. Everything else is in the paint/freethrow line. about the defence, again watch games before you judge on past seasons. Sack up dude and face the facts, you havnt watched the suns this year.

This...And yes, Nash is no defensive master-mind. He has one of, if not the highest basketball Iq's in the game. He know's what he needs to do and does it. He draws charges, lets people to drive when he know he has help, and is actually not that bad a help defender. I'll take an Intellectual defender over one with brawn anyday.

AI4MVP
04-15-2010, 03:27 AM

damn check out this dude. hating at its finest. why ur panties in a bunch?? r u a lakers fan or something? r u just hating becuz ur scared the suns are gunna knock u guys out of the playoffs AGAIN

Kid Fabulous
04-15-2010, 03:58 AM
thanks for the props

evadatam5150
04-17-2010, 10:41 PM
damn check out this dude. hating at its finest. why ur panties in a bunch?? r u a lakers fan or something? r u just hating becuz ur scared the suns are gunna knock u guys out of the playoffs AGAIN

Hating and the truth are too different animals.. The truth is what the truth is and as I said before, the Suns are still the Suns.. And yeah, see the thing about the truth and being honest about your team is that I can be candid and realistic about the Lakers.. They aren't very good and I personally think they'll be lucky to get past the Thunder because they don't play well against young athletic teams.. If the Suns are better than the Lakers and beat them then hell more power to them.. But I think it's funny how everyone's jumping back on the Phx bandwagon and pumping their fists again when clearly not a lot has changed except the talent level in the West..

Not hating, just brutally honest..

ink
04-17-2010, 10:44 PM
Hating and the truth are too different animals.. The truth is what the truth is and as I said before, the Suns are still the Suns.. And yeah, see the thing about the truth and being honest about your team is that I can be candid and realistic about the Lakers.. They aren't very good and I personally think they'll be lucky to get past the Thunder because they don't play well against young athletic teams.. If the Suns are better than the Lakers and beat them then hell more power to them.. But I think it's funny how everyone's jumping back on the Phx bandwagon and pumping their fists again when clearly not a lot has changed except the talent level in the West..

You need to relax. A lot of the people that are cheering for the Suns have cheered for them for years. Why the axe grinding against the Suns? Just let people enjoy their team. It doesn't get any recognition in here, then someone starts a thread in appreciation and you jump all over it again and again. :confused:

Shady66
04-17-2010, 10:47 PM

Pretty sure your hating.

OrderOfCook
04-17-2010, 11:12 PM

Okay. Thanks.

evadatam5150
04-18-2010, 11:12 PM
You need to relax. A lot of the people that are cheering for the Suns have cheered for them for years. Why the axe grinding against the Suns? Just let people enjoy their team. It doesn't get any recognition in here, then someone starts a thread in appreciation and you jump all over it again and again. :confused:

Ax grinding..?? Since when is stating a very vanilla opinion concerning the Suns chances (and never saying they blow, or suck or can't compete) and believing that they really aren't a contender for the championship.. They aren't a complete team in MY opinion and they still don't play Championship defense in MY opinion.. Again just run of the mill critiques of a team that I don't believe has what it takes to get to the Finish line and win..

If that's grinding an Ax then well I guess it is what it is but personally you all just have thin skin and need to get over yourselves.. It's sports and where sports are concerned there's going to be differences of opinions.. At least I'm arguing my point without being derisive or petulant.. In fact I think I have some extremely valid points.. Time will tell if I'm right or wrong..

evadatam5150
04-18-2010, 11:14 PM
Pretty sure your hating.

So anyone who has something contrary to say to what you believe about your team is Hating.. ?? LOL

I believe I'm right.. It's simple and just an opinion.. You don't like it then don't read it..

Shady66
04-18-2010, 11:25 PM
So anyone who has something contrary to say to what you believe about your team is Hating.. ?? LOL

I believe I'm right.. It's simple and just an opinion.. You don't like it then don't read it..

No, if you can back it up. But all your saying is that they dont play defence. You obviously have not seen enough games to comment correctly.

ink
04-19-2010, 12:04 AM
Ax grinding..?? Since when is stating a very vanilla opinion concerning the Suns chances (and never saying they blow, or suck or can't compete) and believing that they really aren't a contender for the championship.. They aren't a complete team in MY opinion and they still don't play Championship defense in MY opinion.. Again just run of the mill critiques of a team that I don't believe has what it takes to get to the Finish line and win..

If that's grinding an Ax then well I guess it is what it is but personally you all just have thin skin and need to get over yourselves.. It's sports and where sports are concerned there's going to be differences of opinions.. At least I'm arguing my point without being derisive or petulant.. In fact I think I have some extremely valid points.. Time will tell if I'm right or wrong..

When someone gets as worked up as you're getting about this topic, yes, that's axe grinding. What does it matter to you that you have to post again and again about how crap the Suns are and then make borderline baiting remarks about people's "thin skin" if they think you're a little over the top? Just let the playoffs happen and let a few people enjoy their team.

Jason5Kidd5
04-19-2010, 02:24 AM
Cheers to game 1. :clap:

ldc62
04-19-2010, 02:52 AM
Amare still can't play D and rebound... did anyone see how LA just knocked the ball from his hands and got the bucket tonight? I'm rooting for Nash tho.

evadatam5150
04-22-2010, 12:10 AM
When someone gets as worked up as you're getting about this topic, yes, that's axe grinding. What does it matter to you that you have to post again and again about how crap the Suns are and then make borderline baiting remarks about people's "thin skin" if they think you're a little over the top? Just let the playoffs happen and let a few people enjoy their team.

Cool as a cucumber dude.. Not worked up at all.. Just stating my opinion and taking heat for it.. It is what it is and when Phx get's the boot from the playoffs I'll say the same.. And if they win then I'll be wrong.. No skin off my back at all.. If they earn it then congrats to them.. I just don't think they're nearly as good as you're all making them out to be.. Just thought a different view would be appreciated.. I had no idea that the entirety of the site had already sipped the kool aid.. Good times.. :clap:

king4day
04-22-2010, 12:45 AM
Cool as a cucumber dude.. Not worked up at all.. Just stating my opinion and taking heat for it.. It is what it is and when Phx get's the boot from the playoffs I'll say the same.. And if they win then I'll be wrong.. No skin off my back at all.. If they earn it then congrats to them.. I just don't think they're nearly as good as you're all making them out to be.. Just thought a different view would be appreciated.. I had no idea that the entirety of the site had already sipped the kool aid.. Good times.. :clap:

I believe the point of the thread was to give credit to the staff and team for building a contender from what was considered a done team.

New coach is leading to building the depth of the bench. This was never something the old suns did under D'Antoni.
This team does play defense despite what people think.
They also have a half court offense along with the transition game.

No one is saying this team is gonna win it all. Just getting credit for digging themselves out of a huge hole the franchise was in.

MR MITB Edge
04-22-2010, 12:49 AM
suns are a scary team

OrderOfCook
04-22-2010, 01:56 AM
I believe the point of the thread was to give credit to the staff and team for building a contender from what was considered a done team.

That is exactly right. The point was that the Suns were written off before the season began as probably not even going to make the playoffs. Perusing the big sports media names they are generally anywhere from 8th - 10th in pre-season predictions. And then they turned it on and came 3rd in the west, which was a surprise on par with OKC and some of the other highlight storylines of the NBA this year and I thought they deserved credit for it. It's that simple.

ObiterDictator
05-17-2010, 06:56 PM

Where the **** is this guy now?

leftymo
05-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Definitely have to give props to the Suns who didn't even make the playoffs last year, to make the conference finals this year. Nobody picked them to make it this far.

Now, there is always a natural progression in developing a team and with this Suns team I question their longevity. It's not like the team is built around Nash & Grant Hill... Most teams need to go through playoff trials and tribulations, and with some extent, the Suns have done that, but then missed the playoffs entirely. I can't recall a team to make the finals after missing the finals the previous season. It just doesn't happen often. (if at all)

Great run for Phx. I don't think the future is bright, and I don't think they are better than any of the other teams remaining in the playoffs, so salute to a good run this year.

leftymo
05-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Definitely have to give props to the Suns who didn't even make the playoffs last year, to make the conference finals this year. Nobody picked them to make it this far.

Now, there is always a natural progression in developing a team and with this Suns team I question their longevity. It's not like the team is built around Nash & Grant Hill... Most teams need to go through playoff trials and tribulations, and with some extent, the Suns have done that, but then missed the playoffs entirely. I can't recall a team to make the finals after missing the finals the previous season. It just doesn't happen often. (if at all)

Great run for Phx. I don't think the future is bright, and I don't think they are better than any of the other teams remaining in the playoffs, so salute to a good run this year.