PDA

View Full Version : Pure Point Guards

AI4MVP
04-14-2010, 03:22 PM
I made this point in the Tyreke thread and ive been thinking about it for a while:

The pure point guard is a dying breed.

how many are there?? For me right now its just Nash, Kidd, Rondo, if u think about it im not even 100% sure if i can call cp3 and dwill PURE point guards. and looking at the future of the league and people points that would be coming into the league, the big names are John Wall next year, and Brandon Knight the year after. Both are not "puree point guards". The only incoming NBA player i can think of thats a true point guard is Ricky Rubio.

Players such as Derrick Rose, yes hes a ****ing AMAZING player. But his thing is scoring. plain and simple.

The point guard position is dying, and it becomes obvious when posters on this sight criticize Ricky Rubio for not being a great scorer, when a point guard should be judged on his ability to read the defense, have high basketball IQ, have amazing court vision, leadership, and ability to place the pass where it needs to be placed,as well as play good defense. thats what a point guard should be judged with. Not his athletiscm or his hops or **** like that

Hawkeye15
04-14-2010, 03:25 PM
Paul and Deron are true PG's. Rubio is the definition of a true PG from what I have seen and read. There are some left, and there always will be, but combo guards are becoming more popular, for sure

Draco
04-14-2010, 03:40 PM
Players such as Derrick Rose, yes hes a ****ing AMAZING player. But his thing is scoring. plain and simple.

Players such as Derrick Rose are still learning the game and are currently doing what's asked of them...

Yes, Rubio is a considered a pass first PG and there aren't many of those in the NBA.. including Rubio. Next...

SteveNash
04-14-2010, 03:48 PM
The point guard position is dying, and it becomes obvious when posters on this sight criticize Ricky Rubio for not being a great scorer, when a point guard should be judged on his ability to read the defense, have high basketball IQ, have amazing court vision, leadership, and ability to place the pass where it needs to be placed,as well as play good defense. thats what a point guard should be judged with. Not his athletiscm or his hops or **** like that

Is Chris Duhon a pure point guard? Got to have some skill scoring the basketball to become a great "pure" point guard.

iHoop
04-14-2010, 04:12 PM
Players such as Derrick Rose are still learning the game and are currently doing what's asked of them...

Yes, Rubio is a considered a pass first PG and there aren't many of those in the NBA.. including Rubio. Next...

This.

ChiSox219
04-14-2010, 04:12 PM
Define pure Point Guard.

dtmagnet
04-14-2010, 04:16 PM
Define pure Point Guard.

Jose Calderon.

ChiSox219
04-14-2010, 04:21 PM
Jose Calderon.

Traffic cone = pure point guard?

Sorry, a point guard should play at least a little defense.

j2death7
04-14-2010, 04:22 PM
Dwill is the best point guard in the league right now hands down

DaBUU
04-14-2010, 05:04 PM
After watching Goran Dragic, the kids has pure point guard talent and instincts. He should be a starter the day Nash is done.

MTone8788
04-14-2010, 05:08 PM
Kevin Ollie is a pure point guard.

Chronz
04-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Theres alot of PURE pgs, they just arent good enough to get PT.

ugafan
04-14-2010, 05:24 PM
Traffic cone = pure point guard?

Sorry, a point guard should play at least a little defense.

By your same logic, Steve Nash isn't a point guard.

COBY KARL
04-14-2010, 05:25 PM
Kevin Ollie is a pure point guard.

LOL Kevin Ollie is the new Mike James

G.O.A.T. that is.

black1605
04-14-2010, 05:26 PM
Homerism aside, Felton fits the mold of a pure point guard. He plays solid D, and is far more concerned with running the offense than scoring.

Raph12
04-14-2010, 05:29 PM
What's your definition of pure PG?

Iodine
04-14-2010, 05:31 PM
Theres alot of PURE pgs, they just arent good enough to get PT.

This

/thread

SteveNash
04-14-2010, 06:00 PM
Homerism aside, Felton fits the mold of a pure point guard. He plays solid D, and is far more concerned with running the offense than scoring.

Off topic, but could a Bobcats fan tell me what went wrong with Augustin this year?

DerekRE_3
04-14-2010, 06:25 PM
Off topic, but could a Bobcats fan tell me what went wrong with Augustin this year?

Earlier in the season, Flip Murray took a good amount of DJ's time as the backup guard since he can play both the 1 and the 2. During DJ's rookie year you saw him and Felton get a lot of time together in the backcourt. This year that did not happen. Felton played exclusively at the 1 this year. DJ had a real slow start to the season which was a big reason for Flip Murray getting a lot of time, but basically DJ lost his confidence. It's taken him awhile to get it back but he's ended the season very well and his shot is finally falling again. He's hit some big shots the last few weeks. His last 5 games he's shooting 57% and shot 54% during the month of April. Hopefully he can keep it up for the playoffs.

Ssshbliblibl00p
04-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Again, Ricky Rubio super fan...Please define Pure PG??????????

Anybody else feel free to chime in

Draco
04-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Again, Ricky Rubio super fan...Please define Pure PG??????????

Anybody else feel free to chime in

A PG that can be relied upon to be primarily a playmaker; someone who facilitates the offense by getting teammates high percentage shots.

ChiSox219
04-14-2010, 06:46 PM
By your same logic, Steve Nash isn't a point guard.

A pure point does everything well.

Ssshbliblibl00p
04-14-2010, 06:47 PM
A PG that can be relied upon to be primarily a playmaker; someone who facilitates the offense by getting teammates high percentage shots.

Just sounds like a really good point guard to me.

...But what makes him/or her so "Pure"

is it the soap they use in the morning?

DerekRE_3
04-14-2010, 06:48 PM
A pure point does everything well.

So a pure point guard has be able to post up, rebound, blocks shots, etc....

That leaves Lebron James then as the only pure point guard in the NBA.

ChiSox219
04-14-2010, 06:50 PM
So a pure point guard has be able to post up, rebound, blocks shots, etc....

That leaves Lebron James then as the only pure point guard in the NBA.

Ding ding!

RenegadeRiot36
04-14-2010, 07:00 PM
sebastian telfair :confused:

Ssshbliblibl00p
04-14-2010, 07:01 PM
As soon as the best passer on a given team assumes the role of being the primary scorer, he's not a pure PG anymore. How is Derrick Rose not a pure PG???

Its not his fault he's the most consistent option to get high percentage shots. One of the primary jobs of a PG, is to break the defense down and get good shots for the offense, whether that be for himself or teammates.

Toenail Clipper
04-14-2010, 07:02 PM
He means pure as in just simply playmaker.
Steve Nash is a pure point guard.

GrumpyOldMan
04-14-2010, 07:40 PM
Oscar Robinson, Magic Johnson and Isiah Thomas are among the best pure point guards I can remember. They were also good scorers, so the word pure in front of point guard is very subjective. If you mean a pass first, not big scoring guard I guess it's still Jason Kidd for today's players.

Ssshbliblibl00p
04-14-2010, 07:43 PM
He means pure as in just simply playmaker.
Steve Nash is a pure point guard.

He scores the ball also...is that not making a play?

He rarely plays defense, but when he gets a steal, is that not making a play, thus making him a "Playmaker"? You can be a playmaker at any position.

I'm not trying to argue semantics here, but it sounds like "Pure PG" is just a cute name for calling a certain PG a "Distributor".

As great as a guy like Jason Kidd is at passing the basketball at a high rate, his defense, rebounding and leadership is what always astounded me more than anything. Not this "Pure PG" crap

Ssshbliblibl00p
04-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Oscar Robinson, Magic Johnson and Isiah Thomas are among the best pure point guards I can remember. They were also good scorers, so the word pure in front of point guard is very subjective. If you mean a pass first, not big scoring guard I guess it's still Jason Kidd for today's players.

Agreed. The pure label is reserved for pass first/not big scoring guards nowadays, b/c back in the day a PG or "Lead guard" didn't require cute
sub-category labels.

Draco
04-14-2010, 08:19 PM
Just sounds like a really good point guard to me.

...But what makes him/or her so "Pure"

is it the soap they use in the morning?

point guards don't have to be primarily playmakers.. they can be primarily scoring guards or they can be distributors but not playmakers; players who facilitate the offense but don't necessarily create high percentage shots.

AI4MVP
04-14-2010, 08:41 PM
pure point guard as in a player that can be the main dude on the team without scoring a single bucket. a point guard that wins ball games with his passing, basketball iq, court vision, ability to change the pace of the game.

just like as a good big man dwight howard can win a game with his defense and rebounding, a true point guard like jason kidd can win a game literally without taking a single shot

Draco
04-14-2010, 08:56 PM
a point guard that wins ball games with his passing, basketball iq, court vision, ability to change the pace of the game.

Sure.. but I don't think a pure PG has to be able to win games with those qualities anymore than a pure shooter has be to win games with his jump shot. It's a description of skillset not a description of quality.

Jon23815
04-14-2010, 11:24 PM
a pure point guard should be defined as a point guard who looks to pass the ball first before scoring... it sounds like you are calling point guard who can score well even if they are pass-first not pure point guards

sargon21
04-14-2010, 11:47 PM
who cares? so many good pgs nowadays

Vinny642
04-14-2010, 11:54 PM
I dont see how CP and Deron Williams arent true point guards.