PDA

View Full Version : Caridad to the DL; Cubs call up Jeff Gray

Matchstckman
04-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Am I missing why this doesn't have a thread yet?

Anyway here's from Cubs.com

The Cubs placed right-hander Esmailin Caridad on the 15-day disabled list with a right forearm strain before Wednesday's game.

Taking his place on the 25-man roster will be Jeff Gray, who was recalled from Triple-A Iowa and will be available against the Brewers at Wrigley Field. Caridad's DL stint is retroactive to Monday, so he's eligible to return as early as April 27.

The 26-year-old Caridad has given up four runs -- all coming Friday against the Reds -- in 2 2/3 innings spanning four relief appearances this season.

Gray, 28, has thrown four scoreless innings in three appearances in the Minors thus far. He also pitched two scoreless innings in Cactus League play while in Major League Spring Training, before being sidelined the majority of the spring with a right groin strain.

Acquired from the Athletics in December as part of the deal that sent Aaron Miles to Oakland, Gray sported a 3.76 ERA in 26 1/3 innings in the Major Leagues last season.

zambo4president
04-14-2010, 01:05 PM
Gray's got an arm on him, I thought he would have made the team out of ST

Jilly Bohnson
04-14-2010, 01:08 PM
Gray's got an arm on him, I thought he would have made the team out of ST

It was that damn groin pull is probably the only reason he didn't. I mean a guy that throws 95 and throws a ton of strikes is Lou's wet dream. The little bit I've seen of him reminds me A LOT of Howry.

Vandelay16
04-14-2010, 01:15 PM
The Cubs bullpen is now a little better......I hope.

zambo4president
04-14-2010, 01:18 PM
It was that damn groin pull is probably the only reason he didn't. I mean a guy that throws 95 and throws a ton of strikes is Lou's wet dream. The little bit I've seen of him reminds me A LOT of Howry.

:hide:

CubsFan/Realist
04-14-2010, 01:22 PM
When did Caridad start having arm problems? Did I miss something or is this an "injury" for the sake of getting Gray up here?

Jilly Bohnson
04-14-2010, 01:24 PM
:hide:

Haha, I mean good Howry, not bad Howry.

http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=462522

Watch "Cubs Extra: Jeff Gray is traded to Cubs." He's got real good stuff, and he throws a lot of strikes.

Randall Simon
04-14-2010, 01:24 PM

He throws nothing but 4 seam fastballs?!

JimHendrysTummy
04-14-2010, 01:26 PM
Sounds like Caridad sat in the Remlinger chair.

cubsneedmiracle
04-14-2010, 01:37 PM
Sounds good to me.

turnaround3
04-14-2010, 01:42 PM
Let me be the first to suggest "The White Panther" for Jeff Gray's official nickname. With the last one having been run out of town we need a new White Panther. Infact, I'd go so far as to demand it.

White Panther.

zambo4president
04-14-2010, 02:01 PM
Haha, I mean good Howry, not bad Howry.

http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=462522

Watch "Cubs Extra: Jeff Gray is traded to Cubs." He's got real good stuff, and he throws a lot of strikes.

Good Howry's a pretty close comparison for Gray. He's gonna have electric stuff, another power pitcher. Hopefully he knows HOW to pitch and mix speeds to his advantage, I'd think if he came up with the A's he should be fine, they usually develop their player's pretty nicely.

zambo4president
04-14-2010, 02:04 PM
Let me be the first to suggest "The White Panther" for Jeff Gray's official nickname. With the last one having been run out of town we need a new White Panther. Infact, I'd go so far as to demand it.

White Panther.

I'd demand it not be White Panther. I don't have an idea for anything else but Aaron Gray was run out of town, and nobody has missed him.