PDA

View Full Version : Do you think there should be more stern punishments for blatantly bad calls?

Luv Da New Pack
04-13-2010, 08:31 PM
I don't know about firing someone but I think there should be harsher penalties for blatantly bad calls.

To have an obvious call that changes the game, and with that, a teams future is a big deal.

You know, I'm all about a close missed call (where you can fathom it being missed) not depending the outcome. But when it's blatant like the Durant call, that's just ridiculous. And the "My Bad" doesn't cover it because you never know what the future holds for the franchise.

Hell, Miami and Atlanta had to replay the final 51 seconds of a game due to something similar.

Hawkeye15
04-13-2010, 09:05 PM
no. The NBA refs get the call right 99% of the time, and you dont want to make it an undesirable job. The refs in the NBA are the best in the world. They make mistakes now and then, that is life.

basketfan4life
04-13-2010, 09:08 PM
The refs in the NBA are the best in the world. .
obviously,you don't watch sports out of nba.

MacFitz92
04-13-2010, 09:30 PM
obviously,you don't watch sports out of nba.

Actually I agree. Basketball is one of the hardest sports to ref, because a lot of it is a matter of opinion.

With that being said, HELL NO, the refs should never be "punished" on a bad call. How does that help? Good lord.

montazingmvp
04-13-2010, 11:53 PM
no. The NBA refs get the call right 99% of the time, and you dont want to make it an undesirable job. The refs in the NBA are the best in the world. They make mistakes now and then, that is life.

lol at 99%...that is just not true...

refs right now are probably doing as good a job as humans can do on the fly...

but 99% is more than just an exaggeration...

to the question, i've always thought that refs once a month or so should have a conference or something where they review their calls and are asked questions about specific ones..

everyone else in the world has to pay for making poor decisions on the job...why should referees be exempt from this?

GodsSon
04-13-2010, 11:54 PM
They should be lined up against a wall and barraged with basketballs by the team they wronged

GSW Hoops
04-13-2010, 11:58 PM
They should be lined up against a wall and barraged with basketballs by the team they wronged

Or poked with long wooden rods with splinters sticking out until they go back in time and change the call.

ballpd05
04-14-2010, 11:56 AM
Actually I agree. Basketball is one of the hardest sports to ref, because a lot of it is a matter of opinion.

With that being said, HELL NO, the refs should never be "punished" on a bad call. How does that help? Good lord.

I agree then they'd call ticky tack stuff for fear of missing something critical or going to the replay for everything.

I think you should have some type of system to give them incentive to get the game right.

But I do see games where the officiating looks extremely one sided, and it happens more often than you would think.

GSW Hoops
04-14-2010, 12:49 PM
I agree then they'd call ticky tack stuff for fear of missing something critical or going to the replay for everything.

I think you should have some type of system to give them incentive to get the game right.

But I do see games where the officiating looks extremely one sided, and it happens more often than you would think.

Juuuust enough to make sure one team covers the point spread.

Raph12
04-14-2010, 12:52 PM
The refs get pressure from all sides for making a call, they miss more than enough calls, but also get more than enough right... It's the nature of the game, just let it be.

lakerssssssss
04-14-2010, 01:45 PM
Yes

RaiderLakersA's
04-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Yes. Refs should be held accountable.

Boston Fanatic
04-14-2010, 02:41 PM
the trouble is the refs union is almost more powerful than the players union because of how much a referee can affect a basketball game and these guys do get scrutinized a lot, but if a player is fined tens of thousands of dollars for complaining about a bad call or a series of bad calls that is just unfair. at least let the players vent a little bit.