PDA

View Full Version : Respects to a Man - and Cubs Fan

ggross
04-13-2010, 06:16 PM
It’s an off day for the Cubs, so I want to take this opportunity to pay tribute to my big brother, a die hard Cubs fan who died last week at the young age of 57. If this isn’t appropriate for a thread, I’m sorry. I just want to pay him this one small tribute. He was a heck of a man and to know him was to love him.

We had a ritual growing up in the 60’s where he, another brother, and I would take a long bus ride to the L station at Jackson Park and from there of course, we’d go to Wrigley Field to sit in the bleachers and watch the Cubs. That was his deal and he insisted on taking us about once a month each year. It didn't take much prodding! When he became old enough, he drove us there a few times. Probably went on from about 1965 to 1970 or so. He loved Glenn Beckert and Billy Williams! It was hard not to be upbeat about the team when you were around him.

Though we all live in different areas now, the three of us carried on this tradition each year to see at least one game or weekend series together at Wrigley. We were going to get together to see the Cubs – D’Backs at the beginning of May, but I guess it will just be two of us now. Needless to say, he passed on without seeing the Cubs win a pennant. I miss him so much right now. Go Cubs!

Matchstckman
04-13-2010, 06:21 PM
Sorry to hear that, ggross.

But he'll be with you next time you go.

Hawkize31
04-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Thats too bad. Keep the tradition going in his honor.

Doogolas
04-13-2010, 06:33 PM
:( I'm sorry man. I hope you guys have fun at your game this year.

ggross
04-13-2010, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the encouraging words guys, I needed them just now.

One thing I was going to mention was that his wife had the viewing area (for the wake at the funeral home) done up with Cubs stuff -- his favorite Cubs hat, a pennant, his favorite Cubs shirt, and some of the photos one of us took at a few of the games we went to - and stuff like that. It was really cool. Very sad, but cool.

rccubsfan
04-13-2010, 06:49 PM
:( My condolences, thoughts, and prayers are with you and your family ggross

Guy Montag
04-13-2010, 07:40 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your brother, ggross. You obviously cared (and still care) a lot about him, and I'm sorry he passed away so young.

Thanks for sharing, and thanks for caring enough to carry on his spirit.

Ryno1984
04-13-2010, 08:10 PM
Sorry to here about your loss, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Vandelay16
04-13-2010, 09:45 PM
Sorry about the loss my friend. :(

BUD Bleachers
04-13-2010, 10:44 PM
Its an off day for the Cubs, so I want to take this opportunity to pay tribute to my big brother, a die hard Cubs fan who died last week at the young age of 57. If this isnt appropriate for a thread, Im sorry. I just want to pay him this one small tribute. He was a heck of a man and to know him was to love him.

We had a ritual growing up in the 60s where he, another brother, and I would take a long bus ride to the L station at Jackson Park and from there of course, wed go to Wrigley Field to sit in the bleachers and watch the Cubs. That was his deal and he insisted on taking us about once a month each year. It didn't take much prodding! When he became old enough, he drove us there a few times. Probably went on from about 1965 to 1970 or so. He loved Glenn Beckert and Billy Williams! It was hard not to be upbeat about the team when you were around him.

Though we all live in different areas now, the three of us carried on this tradition each year to see at least one game or weekend series together at Wrigley. We were going to get together to see the Cubs DBacks at the beginning of May, but I guess it will just be two of us now. Needless to say, he passed on without seeing the Cubs win a pennant. I miss him so much right now. Go Cubs!

Truly sorry to hear about this. I can only imagine.

DamnGoat
04-13-2010, 11:27 PM
Sorry to hear about your brother...it's never easy to lose someone close to you. I hope you still enjoy your trip to Wrigley this year and I'm sure your brother will still be watching.

Captain Obvious
04-13-2010, 11:45 PM
That gave me chills when I read that last paragraph. That is so cool that you still go to a game once a year. So sorry that he won't be able to join you this year. But, maybe he will be there, just in another form.

Shunoo
04-14-2010, 02:59 AM
It's always sad losing someone that's very close to you. You reiterated the point that he didn't get to see the Cubs hold up a pennant ever.

I remember watching an interview with Derrek Lee and he said, "I want to do it for the fans that have been waiting and waiting for this franchise to win it all. I want to do it for every Cubs fan." It's players like this that make me proud to be a Cubs fan. It's really sad that your brother didn't get to see it, because honestly, I feel like we are at the cusp of seeing the Cubs win it all. It might take a couple years and it's sad for people that have to leave us before they win it, but hopefully some of us will be there to enjoy it for all of the fallen Cubs fans that had to wait.

Keep strong and my condolences.

UK Ivy
04-14-2010, 07:54 AM
R.I.P definitely keep the tradition going.

semperfi
04-14-2010, 08:41 AM
Semper Fi.

man man
04-14-2010, 08:51 AM
definitely keep the tradition going, i can't think of anything better. i hope they win one today for your big bro!

ggross
04-14-2010, 12:22 PM
I really appreciate the encouragement and the kind words expressed. Thanks a lot!

CubsRule08
04-17-2010, 12:18 AM
Sorry i havent been on here a while, but sorry to hear that man. Keep the tradition going...he will help guide the Cubs to a WS title

SpudsRutkowski
04-17-2010, 12:56 AM
I can't try to display my emotion for you in words. Incredible love and prayers go out to you and yours. As a fellow PSD member I feel like we are all family, and can only hope that your tradition continues, and that your brother is with you always. R.I.P and go Cubbies.

CubbieSteve
04-17-2010, 01:06 AM
ggross - sorry about your loss. My condolences to you.

Tehjosha
04-17-2010, 01:34 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss, gg.

May God bless you and your family.

ggross
04-18-2010, 12:33 PM
Thanks one last time to all who responded so positively. I appreciate it more than you know. It has prompted me to change my signature.

Str1fe5
04-18-2010, 12:52 PM
My condolences on your loss, GG. I'll bet he's got a whole wall of Cubs' Pennants and WS trophies in heaven.

ggross
04-18-2010, 01:36 PM
My condolences on your loss, GG. I'll bet he's got a whole wall of Cubs' Pennants and WS trophies in heaven.

:)

ps: If anyone sees a couple of handsome 50 ish looking guys in the bleachers with their arms around each other (Saturday & Sunday, May 1 and 2 vs D'Backs) ... go easy on them!

Yagyu+
04-18-2010, 02:30 PM
Our best to you and yours. Hoping everything is as well as it could be, considering the circumstance.

1908_Cubs
04-18-2010, 02:39 PM
That sucks GG.

Sorry to hear. We'll get you a title.