PDA

View Full Version : NBA Meets March Madness *Round 2* - #1 LeBron James vs. #8 Dwight Howard

KnicksorBust
04-13-2010, 05:55 PM
In an effort to combine two of the greatest creations in the world (the NBA and the NCAA Tournament), a new tournament has been created. The top scoring 64 players (per game) of the current NBA season will be facing off head to head to determine the greatest one on one player in the game today.

Coming out of the Central bracket:
#1 LeBron James (Relevant Info: 6'8/250 | Stats: 29.8/7.3/8.6)
vs.
#8 Dwight Howard (Relevant Info: 6'11/265 | Stats: 18.4/13.2/1.8)

The games will be to 21 points with 1's and 2's and winners ball. First competitor to earn 21 votes will advance to the next round.

(Editors Note: Check http://manathalon.weebly.com/ to enjoy complete updates on tournament results.)

Raph12
04-13-2010, 06:02 PM
I think Dwight could win this by just posting him down and dunking on him over and over again, on defense, he could just give him space and then attempt to block him when he takes it to the basket... Give me Dwight.

KnicksorBust
04-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Final Score Prediction: LeBron 21 - Dwight 9

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-13-2010, 06:06 PM
I'd take dwight cause it's difficult for lebron to post up dwight...he has to take jumpers which he aint very good aint

Raps18-19 Champ
04-13-2010, 06:08 PM
Lebron will win this whole thing.

Lebron won't get stopped by Howard.

Lebron would facial Howard.

Raph12
04-13-2010, 06:12 PM
Lebron will win this whole thing.

Lebron won't get stopped by Howard.

Lebron would facial Howard.

LMFAO "Lebron would wish to facial Howard" is more like it, Dwight can grab 13 feet, Lebron would need all of the momemtum in the world to overpower Dwight at the basket and dunk on him... Dwight would be serving up facials like it's a day spa; post-and-dunk, post-and-dunk, all day long.

td0tsfinest
04-13-2010, 06:13 PM
LBJ all day.

tredigs
04-13-2010, 06:17 PM
LMFAO "Lebron would wish to facial Howard" is more like it, Dwight can grab 13 feet, Lebron would need all of the momemtum in the world to overpower Dwight at the basket and dunk on him... Dwight would be serving up facials like it's a day spa; post-and-dunk, post-and-dunk, all day long.

Dwight can't dribble. Is he going to post and back down from the 3pt line on Lebron? Don't think so. Lebron would get him off balance with a few crossovers from about 20ft out and blow by Dwight every time.

I know he's your boy and all, but he wouldn't stand a chance in a 1v1 where they have to take it out at the 3pt line. Not to mention Dwight can't shoot, and Lebron can nail the 2pt "threes" if need be. This would be a decimation.

A powerful/solidly defensive/solid shooting 2 3 or 4 is the only person who is going to realistically win a 1v1 contest.

Baller1
04-13-2010, 06:19 PM
Good matchup, but Dwight doesn't stand a chance. Lebron's one of the only players in the league who can actully match his physical strength.

kozelkid
04-13-2010, 06:19 PM
I'd take dwight cause it's difficult for lebron to post up dwight...he has to take jumpers which he aint very good aint

Have you watched Lebron this season?

tredigs
04-13-2010, 06:21 PM
Due to Kobe homers/Lebron haters and the Magic fans on here, Dwight stands a fantasy chance. This is like a 6th grade president of the class contest.

jackdawson
04-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Lebron all day. Forget about other factors, his crossovers and quickness will make howard look fool, nuff said.

jackdawson
04-13-2010, 06:26 PM
Due to Kobe homers/Lebron haters and the Magic fans on here, Dwight stands a fantasy chance. This is like a 6th grade president of the class contest.

^^^This.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-13-2010, 06:28 PM
Have you watched Lebron this season?

he's shot is still very inconsistent

avrpatsfan
04-13-2010, 06:31 PM
Lebron James

tredigs
04-13-2010, 06:35 PM
he's shot is still very inconsistent

Agreed. Lebron takes too many threes and too many forced long 2pt jumpers. He's only a marginal shooter. A significant weakness in his game is that he thinks he's a great shooter and will chuck them up. The league had better pray he never develops a consistent jump shot a la Kevin Durant. He would literally be unstoppable.

Raph12
04-13-2010, 06:43 PM
Dwight can't dribble. Is he going to post and back down from the 3pt line on Lebron? Don't think so. Lebron would get him off balance with a few crossovers from about 20ft out and blow by Dwight every time.

I know he's your boy and all, but he wouldn't stand a chance in a 1v1 where they have to take it out at the 3pt line. Not to mention Dwight can't shoot, and Lebron can nail the 2pt "threes" if need be. This would be a decimation.

A powerful/solidly defensive/solid shooting 2 3 or 4 is the only person who is going to realistically win a 1v1 contest.

Saying Dwight can't dribble is ignorant of you, you don't watch him play, Dwight played PG a lot growing up and has shown that ballhandling much more this season, leading several fastbreaks to find a teammate or score on his own. And yes, when you're that much stronger, you could post a guy down from the 3pt line. I'm only 6'0" tall, but 225lbs (solid) and can post down anyone I've played under 200 from anywhere on the court. Lebron can't cross and Dwight would just give him room, this isn't the NBA where they'd call touch fouls, blowing by a defender that gives you room is much harder in a game of 1v1.

RenegadeRiot36
04-13-2010, 06:45 PM
Agreed. Lebron takes too many threes and too many forced long 2pt jumpers. He's only a marginal shooter. A significant weakness in his game is that he thinks he's a great shooter and will chuck them up. The league had better pray he never develops a consistent jump shot a la Kevin Durant. He would literally be unstoppable.

a marginal shooter that shoots 33.333% from 3pt range right? p.s. thats .04% higher than kobe himself. and btw the durant bandwagon has become as big as ive ever seen a bandwagon exist for a 1 dimensional player, not that hes not great

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-13-2010, 06:52 PM
a marginal shooter that shoots 33.333% from 3pt range right? p.s. thats .04% higher than kobe himself. and btw the durant bandwagon has become as big as ive ever seen a bandwagon exist for a 1 dimensional player, not that hes not great

come on, kobe's shooting with boxing gloves

Avenged
04-13-2010, 06:53 PM

^^^This.

You two are always coming at us. :box:

As much as I want to say Dwight, I'm going to have to go with Lebron.

tredigs
04-13-2010, 06:53 PM
Saying Dwight can't dribble is ignorant of you, you don't watch him play, Dwight played PG a lot growing up and has shown that ballhandling much more this season, leading several fastbreaks to find a teammate or score on his own. And yes, when you're that much stronger, you could post a guy down from the 3pt line. I'm only 6'0" tall, but 225lbs (solid) and can post down anyone I've played under 200 from anywhere on the court. Lebron can't cross and Dwight would just give him room, this isn't the NBA where they'd call touch fouls, blowing by a defender that gives you room is much harder in a game of 1v1.

He can't dribble well. I see him play all the time, and I've seen him sprint down the court on a few fast breaks and find the open man (actually I saw Marcus Camby do the same thing last night), but it doesn't matter in the context I'm talking about. He couldn't lose a defender like Lebron off the dribble, is my point. If he tried, a steal/fumbling of the ball would be the result more times than not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vhWieEXuQ4

Lebron can't crossover? That's how you take someone off the dribble with a crossover Raph. He could do this all day on a 7 foot center.

Beyond that, I'm not buying in any way that he could back down Lebron. Lebron's nearly his weight and one of the strongest players in the league. It's not happening.

tredigs
04-13-2010, 06:54 PM

The one dimension being his shot, his finishing ability, his defense, or his rebounding? Just curious.

33.33% is not a great average. He could also be a lot better from the line. Kobe's been a marginal shooter in a lot of respects this year as well.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/LeBron-James-takes-too-many-jump-shots?urn=nba,221355 Good article on LBJ taking too many jumpers.

TheKing23
04-13-2010, 06:58 PM
I think Dwight could win this by just posting him down and dunking on him over and over again, on defense, he could just give him space and then attempt to block him when he takes it to the basket... Give me Dwight.

Look, Raph, I know Dwight's ya boy and everything but c'mon man... He wouldn't stand a chance against LeBron in a 1 on 1.

Some of the fastest, best perimeter defenders in the league can't stay in front of LeBron, what makes you think a 6'11, 270 pound dude will?

We all know that Dwight's shots around the basket are suspect and he doesn't have such a huge size advantage that he could post LeBron up until he has him deep enough to just turn and dunk.

Anyone saying LeBron's jump shot is inconsistent, fair enough. But Dwight's baby hooks and 10-12 footers are inconsistent and in this kind of game, that's all he'd be able to get off. At least Bron can just blow past Dwight and finish with ease.

Dwight wouldn't even score double figures... LeBron 21-6 Dwight

RenegadeRiot36
04-13-2010, 06:58 PM
The one dimension being his shot, his finishing ability, his defense, or his rebounding? Just curious.

his defense, or lack there of. offensively, yes he is gifted but there is room for improvement on the other side of the ball. but he is 22 or something so theres still a lot of time. but his bandwagon just strolls along to each and every forum and throws durants name into every possible comparision for no reason like hes the best player. hes good but there is no debate its lebron

RenegadeRiot36
04-13-2010, 07:02 PM

33.33% is not a great average. He could also be a lot better from the line. Kobe's been a marginal shooter in a lot of respects this year as well.

ok lets shift this to another comparison. theres no debate brandon roy is a great shooter, correct? well hes only shooting 33% as well. 33% isnt the best percentage in the league, but most players would be thrilled to knock that many down in a season. its a more than solid number to be shooting when jumpshots are a second option

tredigs
04-13-2010, 07:09 PM
his defense, or lack there of. offensively, yes he is gifted but there is room for improvement on the other side of the ball. but he is 22 or something so theres still a lot of time. but his bandwagon just strolls along to each and every forum and throws durants name into every possible comparision for no reason like hes the best player. hes good but there is no debate its lebron

If you think his defense still sucks, then it's pointless to argue with you. It's well known that this is the biggest improvement of his game, and that he is become a very solid defender. If you don't believe me, check the raw stats -- or better yet, watch him play (something tells me you haven't done this often). The reason I mention his name in an LBJ comparison is because jumpers/outside shooting are the only semi-weakness in Lebron's game. I would've said that if he improves his outside shooting to be comparable to "Carmelo Anthony's", but it wouldn't make sense, because Melo isn't great at outside shooting either. You're reading too much into a random line in a discussion that had nothing to do with Durant. It was an example.

For what it's worth, I don't have the stat in front of me but I'm fairly positive that 35% is the league average for 3pt shooting. Lebron falling south of that would indicate that he's not quite a great outside shooter, am I wrong?

In other news, looks like this one's over.

TheKing23
04-13-2010, 07:18 PM
If you think his defense still sucks, then it's pointless to argue with you. It's well known that this is the biggest improvement of his game, and that he is become a very solid defender. If you don't believe me, check the raw stats -- or better yet, watch him play (something tells me you haven't done this often). The reason I mention his name in an LBJ comparison is because jumpers/outside shooting are the only semi-weakness in Lebron's game. I would've said that if he improves his outside shooting to be comparable to "Carmelo Anthony's", but it wouldn't make sense, because Melo isn't great at outside shooting either. You're reading too much into a random line in a discussion that had nothing to do with Durant. It was an example.

For what it's worth, I don't have the stat in front of me but I'm fairly positive that 35% is the league average for 3pt shooting. Lebron falling south of that would indicate that he's not quite a great outside shooter, am I wrong?

In other news, looks like this one's over.

For what it's worth, LeBron was at about 35-36% up until about halfway through March, when he just went silly shooting threes and couldn't find his touch. I'm not trying to defend LeBron because he shouldn't have taken a lot of those threes, but for 4/5ths of the season he was at the league average from deep and he was making them at a rate of about 1.5 a game which isn't too shabby either.

He's not a great outside shooter, but he's not terrible either. I'd say he's at least average.

tredigs
04-13-2010, 07:28 PM
For what it's worth, LeBron was at about 35-36% up until about halfway through March, when he just went silly shooting threes and couldn't find his touch. I'm not trying to defend LeBron because he shouldn't have taken a lot of those threes, but for 4/5ths of the season he was at the league average from deep and he was making them at a rate of about 1.5 a game which isn't too shabby either.

He's not a great outside shooter, but he's not terrible either. I'd say he's at least average.

Yeah I noticed that too. I agree with ya, that's why I said to the guy that he was a "marginal" outside shooter. It's his weakest aspect as a player, but he's still not bad at it. Just not great.

Raps18-19 Champ
04-13-2010, 07:35 PM

It's more like LMFAO at the fact that you think Howard can beat what is practically a 6'8 250 pound PG.

Lebron is one of the more faster players in the league. He's gonna beat Howard on the floor. And Lebron isn't going to get blocked by Howard like what he does with other players. Lebron is simply too strong to be manhandled driving to the net.

jimbobjarree
04-13-2010, 07:50 PM
haha no jump shots...and do they win a big mac?

Bring The Heat
04-13-2010, 08:05 PM

Like everyone else said... we all know you have a obsessed love with Dwight and think he's God... but he definitely gets owned here... You make it seem like Lebron is alot weaker... He might even be just as strong..Dwight only has 16 pounds on him and he's taller by 3-4 inches...

LeBron is WAYY better all around offensively then Howard... has the speed, athleticism, ballhandling, and can knock in 2's which Dwight can't because he is limited offensively

KnicksorBust
04-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Howard has a very short list of people I think could beat him in a 1 on 1 and unfortunately LeBron was on that list.

LeBron James advances to the Sweet 16.

Sidenote: I still think it's complete bs that people think professional forwards and centers with huge size advantages can't successfully protect the ball vs. a smaller player.