PDA

View Full Version : Why no love for Rick Adelman for Coach of the Year?

GSW Hoops
04-12-2010, 04:08 PM
I'm far from a Rockets fan, but I never hear any talk of Rick Adelman for Coach of the Year. He's not even in the discussion!

Before the season, Charles Barkley thought the Rockets would be at the bottom of the Western Conference. And here we are at the end of the season and the Rockets are over .500.

Looking at their roster, did anyone actually expect this team to be anywhere near the playoff chase at the end of the year?

Here are just a few things the Rockets have had to deal with this season:

--An entire year without Yao Ming, a top 3 big man
--Tracy McGrady drama for the first half of the season
--Losing Ron Artest, a key player from last season
--Integrating Trevor Ariza into the team as this season's go-to guy
--Trading Carl Landry in the middle of the season and trying to work Kevin Martin into the lineup
--An absolute slew of injuries to most of their key players

Plus, look at how much players have advanced this season. Scola is having a great year, Aaron Brooks is a candidate for Most Improved Player, etc. etc.

I'm not saying Adelman should be the TOP candidate for Coach of the Year, but shouldn't he at least be in the discussion?

MU and UW Fan
04-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Umm..... Scott Brooks and Scott Skiles. I'm biased toward Skiles since I'm a bucks fan, but look at what he's had. There's not much talent on their team. Bogut had a breakout year before getting injured, Jennings started out hot in the beginning and Salmons has been solid since the trade, but its not a team you look at and say WOW they got a lot of talent.

Chronz
04-12-2010, 04:19 PM
How do people even go about measuring a coaches impact?

Raph12
04-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Scott Brooks, Jerry Sloan and Larry Brown would round out my Top 3... No room for a coach who's team that got as far as I predicted they would (lottery), although I do hold Adelman in high regard.

td0tsfinest
04-12-2010, 04:37 PM
For God sake, will someone give Jerry Sloan a COY award already. He maybe the only NBA coach in the HOF, without winning it at least once.

Ragun
04-12-2010, 04:50 PM
my top 3.

scott skiles
larry brown
scott brooks

BkOriginalOne
04-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Rockets are not in the playoffs.

GSW Hoops
04-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Rockets are not in the playoffs.

The Thunder only have 8 more wins than the Rockets, and a guy named Kevin Durant. Put KD on the Rockets and see how many games they win.

JayAllDay
04-12-2010, 05:01 PM
I'm sure there's some coach out there who has a better record than Adelman this season who has dealt with some **** too.

Jacob K.
04-12-2010, 05:04 PM
For God sake, will someone give Jerry Sloan a COY award already. He maybe the only NBA coach in the HOF, without winning it at least once.

you have to earn the award, you dont just give someone an award because its "their turn." thats not how it works.

dolfan720
04-12-2010, 05:34 PM
The Thunder only have 8 more wins than the Rockets, and a guy named Kevin Durant. Put KD on the Rockets and see how many games they win.

hes got a good point but im a Rockets fan but i honestly think this should be the order

1. Skiles
2. Adelman
3. Sloan

What Skiles has done with that team with little talent is incredible at least the Rockets have a number of very good players in Brooks, Scola, Martin, and Ariza. The Bucks have Boget, Jennings, and Salmons.....

SteveNash
04-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Before the season, Charles Barkley thought the Rockets would be at the bottom of the Western Conference. And here we are at the end of the season and the Rockets are over .500.

Who the hell cares what Charles thinks? He hates the Rockets anyway.

Tony_Starks
04-12-2010, 06:08 PM
The Rockets have had a respectable season but IMO they underachieved a bit. They went into training camp knowing Yao was gone plus they added Ariza in the mix. I don't know man with Brooks stepping up the way he has I just feel they could've claimed that 8 spot.

Coach has done a good job though but I can't put him over Brooks, SKiles, or even Alvin Gentry for that matter. What Phoenix has done is pretty damn incredible!

Hawkeye15
04-12-2010, 06:09 PM
He is in the argument, but OKC's huge improvement should cement Brooks. Though I have said for a long time it should go to Sloan, and I will say that every damn year until he wins one

DerekRE_3
04-12-2010, 06:10 PM
My list would probably go:
1. Scott Brooks
2. Scott Skiles
3. Jerry Sloan
4. Larry Brown

AIMelo=KillaDUO
04-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Rick Adelman, hasn't accomplished n e thing...

jimbobjarree
04-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Scott Brooks, Jerry Sloan and Larry Brown would round out my Top 3... No room for a coach who's team that got as far as I predicted they would (lottery), although I do hold Adelman in high regard.

yes!!! A mention of Jerry Sloan. I am now appeased

finnishing 2-5 and getting 52+ wins with a team that:
-was only 8th seed last year
-has an average age of 25
-loses its veteran pressence in Matty Harpring to injury all year
-sells its starting 2 guard Ronnie Brewer and Eric Maynor to save money and replaces them with D-Leaguers
-starts an undrafted rookie and only has 3 1st round picks on its roster.
-loses starting SF AK47 for the last 2 months of the season

and pretty much nobody mentions his name for this award this year?

MrFastBreak
04-12-2010, 06:51 PM
I guess Im the only one who thinks Alvin Gentry deserves consideration as he has been a big part of the Suns success. When he took over last Feb, he immediately reintroduced much of D’Antoni’s philosophy and has provided them with steady leadership which has done them wonders. He took a lottery team that lost Shaq and has it in the thick of the race for the 2nd seed in the West. People were claiming Amare and Shaq couldn't coexist and it lead to them not making the playoffs last season, when it was really Terry Porter.

Kakaroach
04-12-2010, 06:54 PM
His team didn't even make the playoffs, thats why. Sloan, Brooks, and Skiles are much more deserving.

Raph12
04-12-2010, 07:03 PM
yes!!! A mention of Jerry Sloan. I am now appeased

finnishing 2-5 and getting 52+ wins with a team that:
-was only 8th seed last year
-has an average age of 25
-loses its veteran pressence in Matty Harpring to injury all year
-sells its starting 2 guard Ronnie Brewer and Eric Maynor to save money and replaces them with D-Leaguers
-starts an undrafted rookie and only has 3 1st round picks on its roster.
-loses starting SF AK47 for the last 2 months of the season

and pretty much nobody mentions his name for this award this year?

Overshadowed by Brooks, Skiles and Brown most of the season, but heading into the home stretch, he definitely makes my Top 3.

ankit
04-12-2010, 07:21 PM

Dude i completely agree with you why isnt this man got a coach of the year award yet, i want jerry sloan to win it this year too although not a jazz fan but throughout the jazz this year were playing good ball:)

CowboysKB24
04-12-2010, 08:26 PM
He just doesn't make most people's list this year. There are more coaches out there having better seasons. Pretty simple. No one is going to have a lot of love for a coach whose team is not even in the playoffs, I mean really let's get serious. He doesn't deserve it regardless of who is on his team or what happened all year long. Adelman is one of the best coaches IMO, but it not his year.

jimbobjarree
04-12-2010, 08:33 PM
its laughable to think that nobodies like Avery Johnson, Sam Mitchell and Byron Scott have all won it recently, especialy when all got fired soon after. The award has become pretty meaningless, nobody will remember these guys in 20/30 years time, but they'll remember Sloan.

Toenail Clipper
04-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Larry who?

PHX2daDEATH
04-12-2010, 09:12 PM
One word.. PLAYOFFS.. and the Rockets were eliminated when? two weeks ago? Not even top 6 behind Skiles, Brooks, Gentry, Sloan and two names nobody has mentioned yet Mike Woodson and Nate McMillan..

I'd say the Blazers injury bug is far greater than the Rockets this year.. and look where they are at.. PLAYOFFS!!.. Please do not use not having Tracy McGrady as a reason that Adelman should be COY.. remember the Rockets didnt want no part of T-mac this year..if your're going to consider Adelman then you might as well consider Lionel Hollins too..!

mikantsass
04-12-2010, 09:55 PM
If we are considering Adelman for COY then we need to consider Lionel Hollins too