PDA

View Full Version : The myth about the Cavs doing worse in the Western Conference

JordansBulls
04-09-2010, 12:51 PM
A lot of people say the Cavs would be significantly worse if they played in the west.

However consider the following over the past two years.

Cavs are 23-7 against the West this year.
Lakers are 22-8 against the East this year.

Cavs were 26-4 against the West last year.
Lakers were 21-9 against the East last year.

Cleveland has done better than LA against the West than LA has done against the East, so I don't see how it would be any different if the Cavs were out west.

Thoughts!!!

Raph12
04-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Well if you're in the West, they'd play the Nuggets (who swept them); the Mavs, Jazz, Spurs, Rockets and Grizz (who all split the season series) two more times, you don't know how that would play out in a full season.

I think the West is more competitive from 1-10, but the East's top 2 teams (Cleveland and Orlando) could hold their own out West and would still be in the Top 3 overall (if not the both the Top teams league-wide).

cmellofan15
04-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Put the Cavs in the Northwest Division...

Chronz
04-09-2010, 01:30 PM
SRS best accounts for SOS and expected winning% based on PT differentials, dont both say the Magic and Cavs are tops. Maybe an extra loss here or there but people listing 8, 50 win teams isnt a good enough analysis. Someone simulate the scenarios then we can discuss.

Chronz
04-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Well if you're in the West, they'd play the Nuggets (who swept them); the Mavs, Jazz, Spurs, Rockets and Grizz (who all split the season series) two more times, you don't know how that would play out in a full season.

I think the West is more competitive from 1-10, but the East's top 2 teams (Cleveland and Orlando) could hold their own out West and would still be in the Top 3 overall (if not the both the Top teams league-wide).
Didnt the Nuggets win one of those games by a pt? The strength of the bottom feeders matters as well here. For sure wins are the first thing we should account for. Last year there were more of those in the West than the East, its why the majority of Western teams struggled vs the East, but its probably not a factor this year.

Raph12
04-09-2010, 01:49 PM
Didnt the Nuggets win one of those games by a pt? The strength of the bottom feeders matters as well here. For sure wins are the first thing we should account for. Last year there were more of those in the West than the East, its why the majority of Western teams struggled vs the East, but its probably not a factor this year.

Yeah the Nuggets won off Melo's gamewinning shot (Lebron missed three 3s in a row for the win/tie)... True bottom feeders do matter a lot, but this season, the East is considerably weaker at the bottom then they were last year.

It would be interesting, but I still think Cleveland and Orlando would still finish 1 and 2 in the West (LA would be 1st in the East).

DCB/LAL
04-09-2010, 04:33 PM
LA plays 52 games against the WEST Cle plays 30. LAL plays almost every playoff team 4 times a year Cleveland twice.

So would you rather face the Magic, Celtics, Hawks etc... 28 times or would you rather face Denver, Utah, Phx, Dal, SAS etc... 28 times?

Really how is this even a question to you JB or anyone who watches basketball?

HoopsDrive
04-09-2010, 04:47 PM
I don't think they would finish with a significantly worse record if playing in the West. My prediction is around a 2-3 game drop if they played there.

Tony_Starks
04-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Its no myth. Most of those teams LA lost to Cleveland would have to play 4 times. There are about to be 8, 50 plus teams in the West this year that can beat you on any given night. Thats no myth my friend, its a fact.

RaiderLakersA's
04-09-2010, 05:06 PM
A lot of people say the Cavs would be significantly worse if they played in the west.

However consider the following over the past two years.

Cavs are 23-7 against the West this year.
Lakers are 22-8 against the East this year.

Cavs were 26-4 against the West last year.
Lakers were 21-9 against the East last year.

Cleveland has done better than LA against the West than LA has done against the East, so I don't see how it would be any different if the Cavs were out west.

Thoughts!!!

Pointless comparison. It's not head to head against the conference. The trick is to actually seat one or the other within the respective conferences, such that the wear and tear of routinely playing tougher opponents can be factored. Until you do that, you will only have speculation.

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is Championships. Let's see who gets it this year.

8kobe24
04-09-2010, 05:32 PM
LA plays 52 games against the WEST Cle plays 30. LAL plays almost every playoff team 4 times a year Cleveland twice.

So would you rather face the Magic, Celtics, Hawks etc... 28 times or would you rather face Denver, Utah, Phx, Dal, SAS etc... 28 times?

Thank you.:clap:

xBLAMEITON24x
04-09-2010, 05:39 PM
Cleveland wont be significantly worse but they would have a worse record than they would playin in the east. Comparing the Lakers losses in the east and Cleveland losses in the west isnt a fair comparison. Their two different teams plus Lakers have those long road trips out east.

G-Funk
04-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Cavaliers play the Top 8 teams in the West 16 out of 82 games.

Nuggets will play the Top 8 teams in the West 32 out of 82 games.

G-Funk
04-09-2010, 06:23 PM
The Cavs are 20-8 against the other top 8 teams in the East.

There is no way that Cavs go 20-8 against these teams with back2backs, injuries, and road trips out west. ANd to top it off these West teams still have to go to the East and Play teams like the Hawks,Celtics,Magic and Hawks

Lakers 55 23
Denver 52 27
Dallas 51 27
Phoenix 51
Utah 51 28
Portland 48 30
San Antonio 48 30
Oklahoma City 48 30

G-Funk
04-09-2010, 06:29 PM
The Rockets and Grizzlies would make the playoffs in the East, The Hornets would have a shot playing in the East

JNA17
04-10-2010, 12:13 AM

this

gangis2169
04-10-2010, 12:57 PM
Does it matter? The Cavs haven't won a championship period so who cares what conf. there in? Think about it they get to play a below .500 team in the first round of the playoffs and a team that would be 8th seed in the west in second round. It dont get much easier than that!!! Everybody in the west has to play a team that has 50 wins from 1-8 seed.

I think we should be saying if they cant win the Championship with that easy of a road then we need to stop the Cavs and Lebron are the greatest threads.

gangis2169
04-10-2010, 01:08 PM
Since Jan 1st. the Cavs quality wins have been against San Antonio, Boston, and the Lakers. If you only have 3 or 4 wins against quality teams in months. I would say yeah they got it made!

DodgerBulls
04-10-2010, 01:36 PM

Same goes for the Lakers if they face the East twice the amount.

Record wise, but their record from the east games seems similar to the Cavs record from the West. Although the East is weaker than the West, the Lakers should have got more Ws than expected. So to sum it up.. "you don't know how that would play out in a full season." Cavs did better againts the top 8 from the West as the Lakers did great as well againts the top 8 from the Eest, but then again, only the top 4 are considered good from the Easet.

DodgerBulls
04-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Does it matter? The Cavs haven't won a championship period so who cares what conf. there in? Think about it they get to play a below .500 team in the first round of the playoffs and a team that would be 8th seed in the west in second round. It dont get much easier than that!!! Everybody in the west has to play a team that has 50 wins from 1-8 seed.

I think we should be saying if they cant win the Championship with that easy of a road then we need to stop the Cavs and Lebron are the greatest threads.

Doesn't the West face the East on the championship?

Raph12
04-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Same goes for the Lakers if they face the East twice the amount.

Record wise, but their record from the east games seems similar to the Cavs record from the West. Although the East is weaker than the West, the Lakers should have got more Ws than expected. So to sum it up.. "you don't know how that would play out in a full season." Cavs did better againts the top 8 from the West as the Lakers did great as well againts the top 8 from the Eest, but then again, only the top 4 are considered good from the Easet.

LA did better against the East teams than the Cavs did and the Cavs did better than the Lakers against the West. And about "only the top 4 are considered good" comment, the Cavs lost 3 games to Charlotte, 1 to Milwaukee, Toronto and Chicago...

It's like I said, you just don't know how it'll play out in a full season.

coloradobuff
04-10-2010, 01:48 PM
Nuggets with K-Mart > Cavs

DodgerBulls
04-10-2010, 01:52 PM
LA did better against the East teams than the Cavs did and the Cavs did better than the Lakers against the West. And about "only the top 4 are considered good" comment, the Cavs lost 3 games to Charlotte, 1 to Milwaukee, Toronto and Chicago...

It's like I said, you just don't know how it'll play out in a full season.

Top 8 from the West is more competetive and better than the top 5-8 from the East as people have said.

Miltown34
04-10-2010, 01:58 PM
The Cavs still might have the best record in the NBA, but on an average year they might win 55-58 games around where the Lakers are

iFYouSeekAmy
04-10-2010, 01:58 PM
where's Hollinger's simulated technology?

Miltown34
04-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Nuggets with K-Mart > Cavs

Well Cavs swept the Lake Show and I think Cleveland would win in a 7 game series, me being a Bucks fan, if I had 2 pick a team that I would hate 2 face in a playoff series in the NBA would be Cavs, Lakers. The Nuggets are a really good team they just don't scare me when we play them. Like the Cavs do, they don't have the most talent(especially last year), but LeBron makes up for that

Jahari Kavi
04-10-2010, 02:21 PM
doesn't matter to me...at the end of the day the best team will win it all...........

billy17
04-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Its pretty blatantly obvious that any Eastern conference team would have a harder time in the West

Opposite goes for West to East, 3 or 4 Western teams would probably be in the playoffs in the East, IMO

MacFitz92
04-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Pointless comparison. It's not head to head against the conference. The trick is to actually seat one or the other within the respective conferences, such that the wear and tear of routinely playing tougher opponents can be factored. Until you do that, you will only have speculation.

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is Championships. Let's see who gets it this year.

x2

_KB24_
04-10-2010, 08:20 PM
I heard a while ago on ESPN Radio the discussion of the location of the teams. Teams in the East like Boston have half their conference in such a short distance. While teams in the West like the Blazers before hand had massive trips to make anywhere they went. Is this a legit reason as well, and would extra fatigue kick in for them?

Raph12
04-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Top 8 from the West is more competetive and better than the top 5-8 from the East as people have said.

Agreed, but different teams matchup differently... The Cats beat the Cavs 3 times this season, the Raps gave them trouble every game they played (surprisingly), the Bucks play great against them and so do the Heat.

Matchups mean more than talent sometimes and the Lakers matchup that much better with the EC teams and the Cavs do better with the Western teams.