PDA

View Full Version : #1 Pick is....Demarcus Cousins???

Sadds The Gr8
04-09-2010, 12:40 PM
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AmKFFEY6fEAkNRBgw1buviXqbwM6?slug=aw-cousinsagent040810

Kentucky center DeMarcus Cousins has hired an agent who’s delivering a bold message to the NBA: The No. 1 pick in the draft could come out of Kentucky, but it won’t necessarily be point guard John Wall.

“There are teams that have done their homework on DeMarcus, and if the lottery ball bounces right, he could be the No. 1 pick in the draft,” agent John Greig told Yahoo! Sports on Thursday.

It’s clear that Greig’s first job is to try and sway public and league opinion that Cousins, a first-team All-America as a freshman, brings no serious character or attitude problems into the NBA.

“When teams, the media and fans wait and hear the real story about DeMarcus, they’ll all understand,” Greig said. “He’s a great kid. Sure, he needs to mature, but NBA teams who do their proper homework are teams seeing this kid as an equal for the No. 1 pick with Wall or [Ohio State’s Evan] Turner.”

Who those executives are remain to be seen, but Greig promises to be aggressive in making a case for what he calls “these nonexistent red flags” that people have talked about with Cousins. At 6-foot-11, 270 pounds, Cousins is a 19-year-old who most executives believe will be the first big man taken in the draft. Most have him projected to be in play at the third pick after Wall and Turner are taken. It’s Greig’s job to convince people otherwise.

The signing of Cousins is a coup for Greig, a Seattle-based agent who has had a low profile. Greig was a 1982 third-round draft pick of the Seattle SuperSonics out of the University of Oregon. His current clients include mostly NBA Development League and European players.

I watched him play a couple of games in the March Madness tournament and saw nothing special. I heard all this hype about him b4 I ever saw him play and was pretty disappointed after watching. However he's still young and has a load of time to improve. Seeing as great big men are hard to find nowdays, what do you guys think of this idea? What do you think about his game right now, and his potential? Do you think he has a chance to go #1 over Wall and Turner?

IMO I don't, but we'll see.

Swashcuff
04-09-2010, 12:43 PM
he gained some steam late but NO. As much as I think he's is overhyped you just can't not choose Wall at number 1. And you killing my eyes with all that bold/underline

GodsSon
04-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Top 3 is still a stretch with Wesley Johnson available

R_O_W_E
04-09-2010, 12:48 PM
I just have a feeling that Cousins might be the biggest risk. He gained a lot of weight when he went to Kentucky, and he had a lot of issues with John Calipari and would argue with him during the games.

ShockerArt
04-09-2010, 12:49 PM
I think Cousins will be battling Favours for the #3 spot.

Sadds The Gr8
04-09-2010, 01:02 PM
he gained some steam late but NO. As much as I think he's is overhyped you just can't not choose Wall at number 1. And you killing my eyes with all that bold/underline

lol my bad just wanted to distinguish my thoughts from the articles....

I just have a feeling that Cousins might be the biggest risk. He gained a lot of weight when he went to Kentucky, and he had a lot of issues with John Calipari and would argue with him during the games.

yea...i heard about that too. He has a little attitude problem...imagine if he gets drafted and tired of losing...he'll prolly pull a Blatche lol...He's young though so he might fix it.

Ray_R
04-09-2010, 01:02 PM
i think it all depends on the lottery.

Raph12
04-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Too big of a risk to pass on Wall and Turner, what if he turns out like Oden 3.0 (Griffin would be 2.0) or even like Thabeet...

R_O_W_E
04-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Too big of a risk to pass on Wall and Turner, what if he turns out like Oden 3.0 (Griffin would be 2.0) or even like Thabeet...

Oden and Griffin are going to be good contributors in the NBA, I think Cousins will be amongst those guys rather than a multi year development project in Thabeet.

It all depends on who gets the #1 pick though.

R_O_W_E
04-09-2010, 01:12 PM
yea...i heard about that too. He has a little attitude problem...imagine if he gets drafted and tired of losing...he'll prolly pull a Blatche lol...He's young though so he might fix it.

If a guy starts complaining while winning as much as Kentucky did he might be complaining about his touches rather than what the team is doing on court. He could get away with it in college with Calipari because Cal is a players coach, and its not like he would ever bench Cousins. But if he tried to pull the same thing on someone like a Larry Brown, or any other serious disciplinarian coach, then he might be on the bench for months.

Sadds The Gr8
04-09-2010, 01:15 PM
If a guy starts complaining while winning as much as Kentucky did he might be complaining about his touches rather than what the team is doing on court. He could get away with it in college with Calipari because Cal is a players coach, and its not like he would ever bench Cousins. But if he tried to pull the same thing on someone like a Larry Brown, or any other serious disciplinarian coach, then he might be on the bench for months.

lol yea...that's my biggest concern with him...because he's still young he'll have that 'I dont give a ****" attitude like students do to teachers or even parents whenever they get pissed off.

Thatruth32
04-09-2010, 01:19 PM
bad attitude on the kid and he aint even in the league yet

R_O_W_E
04-09-2010, 01:22 PM
lol yea...that's my biggest concern with him...because he's still young he'll have that 'I dont give a ****" attitude like students do to teachers or even parents whenever they get pissed off.

Yep.

I think that might hurt his stock when he isn't that much better of a player than Aldrich and Whiteside who are each projected as Lottery Picks.

avrpatsfan
04-09-2010, 01:28 PM
No. I would never pass on Wall or Turner unless I already had a great PG and a great SG. The only team that would waste a #1 pick on him would be a team like that. The Jazz would be a possible team. But if the Jazz get the #1 overall they will pick Turner. No he will not get drafted 1st overall.

jim51990
04-09-2010, 01:48 PM
he will be the best of all the players book it.
wall is an overrated watching kentucky play all year cousins was what made that them great not wall
turner has the possibility to be great so him or cousins should be the debate not wall or turner

DamnGoat
04-09-2010, 01:49 PM
Cousins will be almost certainly be top 5, but there's no way he's taken over Wall or Turner, probably not even Wes Johnson or Derrick Favors.

Hoopsadvocate
04-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Hes the next Michael beasley (at least his first year with the immaturity issues) bet on it. Hope he doesnt go to a big city where he will lose focus. Or at least go to a team where they dont care and let him do whatever. He definitley has potential but idk if hes mature enough to reach it. Not #1 worthy

R_O_W_E
04-09-2010, 01:55 PM
he will be the best of all the players book it.
wall is an overrated watching kentucky play all year cousins was what made that them great not wall
turner has the possibility to be great so him or cousins should be the debate not wall or turner

Wall is overrated? Pass that blunt this way.

Turtle55
04-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Why would you pass on Wall or Turner to take Eddie Curry with a mean streak?

Double_R
04-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Yea, you pass on Wall, just like the Pistons passed on Melo, Wade, and Bosh

kingofdaburbs19
04-09-2010, 02:12 PM
Cousins will do nothing in the NBA, he's listed at 6'11 but he is really 6'8, he can't shoot, he can't do anything special to be a top 5 player in the draft. When he starts playing and realizes that MEN in the NBA don't get pushed around he will struggle alot, this isn't college where their isn't anybody bigger then you this is the NBA where their are going to make whatever team that drafts him regret they made that choice.

ShockerArt
04-09-2010, 02:13 PM

I still can't believe Thabeet went #2. When has a project big man ever worked out? :facepalm:

Broad&Patterson
04-09-2010, 02:17 PM
For the record I voted he won't go number 1 but I don't like the wording "I don't think Cousins' is that good anyway." because I do think he is real good but not as good as Turner or Wall.

abe_froman
04-09-2010, 02:19 PM
I still can't believe Thabeet went #2. When has a project big man ever worked out? :facepalm:

andrew bynum,jermaine o'neal,al jefferson...to name a few

the problem with the pick wasnt that he was a project big man,the reason it was a ****ed up pick was because memphis was so loaded with young bigman that he would/did get buried on the depth chart...thus no pt to develop him with

psdking
04-09-2010, 02:21 PM
haha ..good one

R_O_W_E
04-09-2010, 02:21 PM

Plenty of times. Andrew Bynum comes to mind first.

Thabeet will be good if he can work on his positioning, timing, and footwork on offense. Their intention seems to be to turn him into nothing more than a goalie around the basket, someone who swats shots on defense, and only grabs rebounds. A slightly bigger Samuel Dalembert without taking unecessary shots on offense attempting to show an offensive game that doesn't exist.

R_O_W_E
04-09-2010, 02:23 PM

the problem with the pick wasnt that he was a project big man,the reason it was a ****ed up pick was because memphis was so loaded with young bigman that he would/did get buried on the depth chart...thus no pt to develop him with

Hes getting minutes now that Marc Gasol is out with an injury.

It was a dumb pick considering the Grizzlies should've just traded down and added bench depth including drafting a legit 6th Man.

ShockerArt
04-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Plenty of times. Andrew Bynum comes to mind first.

Thabeet will be good if he can work on his positioning, timing, and footwork on offense. Their intention seems to be to turn him into nothing more than a goalie around the basket, someone who swats shots on defense, and only grabs rebounds. A slightly bigger Samuel Dalembert without taking unecessary shots on offense attempting to show an offensive game that doesn't exist.

I guess I wasn't very clear. You guys are naming high school kids. All of the draft picks from high school are high risk/high reward picks. I'm talking about guys that have played at the college level. Thabeet is 23 years old, not 18. He's a lot closer to his peak ability than Garnett, O'Neal, Bynum, Howard were. The Grizzlies, who needed help right away, took a long-term project center at #2. If they were picking a lot later, it would make more sense.

Rapthug
04-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Not a chance he goes number 1. Wall is a lock to go #1. All this fat *** did was catch passes from Wall for easy dunks and from what I have seen his attitude is terrible.

JDMVP
04-09-2010, 02:57 PM
No way just No way any GM that would do that would have to be High or somethin during the Draft

Draco
04-09-2010, 03:03 PM
The signing of Cousins is a coup for Greig, a Seattle-based agent who has had a low profile. Greig was a 1982 third-round draft pick of the Seattle SuperSonics out of the University of Oregon. His current clients include mostly NBA Development League and European players.

Could have just underlined this part.

Swashcuff
04-09-2010, 03:10 PM

exactly i really didn't understand the reasoning at all for that. Guess they were more sold on Conley than Gasol or something. It still baffles me to this day.

JNA17
04-10-2010, 12:15 AM
definitely another great player from Kentucky, #1 pick don't think so.