PDA

View Full Version : Is Derek Fisher a veteran or a rookie???

soonabooma
04-09-2010, 01:28 AM
That last play was pathetic. :facepalm:

asandhu23
04-09-2010, 01:30 AM
:pity:

koreancabbage
04-09-2010, 01:31 AM
ROFL i expected a new thread about this after watching Fisher newbed the last play of the game. WTF lol

Ragun
04-09-2010, 01:31 AM
he is such an idiot.

asandhu23
04-09-2010, 01:32 AM
he is such an idiot.

Fisher or OP?

Raph12
04-09-2010, 01:37 AM
That could've been called a foul, but a poor decision nonetheless... Surprise surprise, Nuggets take 2nd for the time being.

LakerFan4L1fe24
04-09-2010, 01:41 AM
He just sucks, can't wait to see him get abused in the playoffs AGAIN

ragee
04-09-2010, 01:46 AM

or hit a clutch shot for you guys AGAIN?

$ NyC $
04-09-2010, 01:47 AM
I really thought the Lakers would try to get some help and sup up their bench a little bit, especially at that guard spot, they keep getting burned by younger/quicker guards.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
04-09-2010, 01:53 AM
doesn't matter, we have kobe for these kind of situations in the playoffs

VIP1349
04-09-2010, 01:53 AM
That could've been called a foul, but a poor decision nonetheless... Surprise surprise, Nuggets take 2nd for the time being.
I always thought that they say hand is part of the ball, but since he didn't complain he didn't really care or knew it was a mistake on his part.

I like his thinking because what is there to lose by going for a three but he had guys open he could have passed to, the moment they threw it in and he went down the court became clear what was going down.

_KB24_
04-09-2010, 01:54 AM
Their could have been a foul called, but I'm happy they didn't call it. That was just a real stupid shot by Fisher. He is still in that mindset that he can play just as well as he did 10 years ago. They guy has aged and can't even provide us with the few options he had.

VIP1349
04-09-2010, 02:02 AM
Derek Fisher's kind of like that buddy you take to the gym with you, who isn't all that great but since he's played a lot he gets overconfident and though he will hit some of the shots your still like "Just pass the ball man".

kblo247
04-09-2010, 02:04 AM
Who do you draw a play for?

LO - No look at his career
Pau - Hell no as he got stripped and stopped the last 2 minutes and is anti-clutch all year long
Ron - Never been that guy in his career with the game on the line as he had others to do it
Shannon - think again
Sasha - this ain't a contract year
Jordan - Won't get a shot that you want

I'll say it again:

Making the right play as no other Laker besides him can make a clutch shot for all the money.

If they don't switch that pick, Fish gets a rhythm shot over Billups from 3 for the win and that is better than any timeout where Denver sets up their defense and makes it harder to get the shot you wanted (see Boston game where Pau calls a timeout and Doc sets his D up to stop Fisher by having Ray Allen and Rondo go after him)

Fact is Fisher got the perfect shot just wasn't expecting Melo to switch out.

That was good coaching by Phil and a good call on Fish because if you check their histories he has hit more clutch shots in his life than Pau, Ron, Sasha, Shannon, Lamar, or Jordan put together.
Fisher got the same shot he got versus Orlando in the Finals and if that is Billups instead of Melo it is easy. Melo switched out but if he doesn't and Billups sticks with him Fish elevates over him and gets the shot you want to win on the road.

He is the closer on this team besides Kobe and he got exactly what he wanted: spot, position, time, just not Chauncey. You can also bet your *** that if they call timeout Fisher doesn't touch the ball and the other guys balls shrink so let it go and move on.

He is Kobe by default with the game on the line and that is the same look you would want Kobe to get in that spot and we all know it. You might not like it when the team has bigger names, but you can't name one guy on the team not named Kobe who plays better and can be trusted more with the game on the line.

Purple&Gold24
04-09-2010, 02:04 AM

And you call yourself a laker fan? :facepalm:

Avenged
04-09-2010, 02:05 AM
Fisher is not the man to iso on the last possession or iso period. He's more of a spot up shooter but creating for his own shot is not part of his game.

soonabooma
04-09-2010, 02:08 AM
Derek Fisher's kind of like that buddy you take to the gym with you, who isn't all that great but since he's played a lot he gets overconfident and though he will hit some of the shots your still like "Just pass the ball man".

Exactly....he has a good game here and there and then he thinks he's Michael Jordan. If I was Artest, I would have punched him in the mouth for giving them absolutely "NO" chance of winning that game. There was plenty of time left, and he totally screwed it up. He's supposed to know better than that by now.

Teeboy1487
04-09-2010, 02:17 AM
Is this thread really necessary for the main forum? I suspect it will be moved.

ILLN355
04-09-2010, 02:27 AM
And you call yourself a laker fan? :facepalm:

unlike yourself, he is a unbiased and truthful laker fan.

Avenged
04-09-2010, 02:31 AM
unlike yourself, he is a unbiased and truthful laker fan.

If he was a "truthful" Laker fan, he wouldn't wish for Fisher to get abused in the playoffs. If Fisher gets "abused" by someone else, it most likely means a loss for the Lakers.

Chacarron
04-09-2010, 02:34 AM
If he was a "truthful" Laker fan, he wouldn't wish for Fisher to get abused in the playoffs. If Fisher gets "abused" by someone else, it most likely means a loss for the Lakers.

Which has happened a lot this year.

I really thought Fish was going to pass it back to Ron with 2 seconds less and I'm sure Ron would have hit it. He had his shot going tonight. Oh well.

kblo247
04-09-2010, 02:37 AM

I really thought Fish was going to pass it back to Ron with 2 seconds less and I'm sure Ron would have hit it. He had his shot going tonight. Oh well.

You watch any Lakers game in the past decade?

There is Kobe or Fisher and no in-between ever since Horry left with the game on the line.

Everyone and their mama should know that shot was going to him and that is why Phil didn't call a timeout.

It would have worked had Melo not made the switch as well since Fish can shoot that shot from his spot with ease over Billups. Melo deserves all the credit for stopping the play as he did what someone in Orlando should have done last finals, step out and make the shot hard for the only other guy on the team who can make and take big shots with no fear of the consequences.

Avenged
04-09-2010, 02:45 AM

Indeed it has happened a lot but that's not a reason to wish for Fisher to get abused since it would most likely lead to the Lakers losing the game.

And I prefer Fisher taking the last shot any day over Ron Artest. I don't agree that he should have iso'd for so long, but the last shot was his to take.

soonabooma
04-09-2010, 02:51 AM

There is Kobe or Fisher and no in-between ever since Horry left with the game on the line.

Everyone and their mama should know that shot was going to him and that is why Phil didn't call a timeout.

It would have worked had Melo not made the switch as well since Fish can shoot that shot from his spot with ease over Billups.

Then Fisher is an idiot, becuz he should know how to run that play. He could have passed the ball, he chose not to becuz he thinks he's special and he got it rammed right back in his face. It was a selfish play all the way and I'm sure his teammates felt the same. A veteran should know when to take the shot and when to pass it. I'm not even a Laker fan, but if I was, I'd wanna puke over what I saw on that last play. Artest knew it was pure crap and he told him right after it. Way to let your team down mr. special.:facepalm:

iFYouSeekAmy
04-09-2010, 02:53 AM
Video?

Where can I see that play?

Avenged
04-09-2010, 02:57 AM
Video?

Where can I see that play?

Not missing much. Fisher just dribbled forever and didn't pass it. He shot the ball at the last second and got it swatted back to him by Melo.

iggypop123
04-09-2010, 02:58 AM
even if it didnt look like it was a planned play it was. let me explain. lakers ran a set play to get the switch and it worked. odom was supposed to get the ball back but lack of execution and time denied him the ball and fisher had to shoot and with lefties (or any shooters) a guy 6 inches taller than you can just sit on the rythym dribble shot attempt. melo blocked it albeit with some hand attached.

Avenged
04-09-2010, 03:00 AM
Then Fisher is an idiot, becuz he should know how to run that play. He could have passed the ball, he chose not to becuz he thinks he's special and he got it rammed right back in his face. It was a selfish play all the way and I'm sure his teammates felt the same. A veteran should know when to take the shot and when to pass it. I'm not even a Laker fan, but if I was, I'd wanna puke over what I saw on that last play. Artest knew it was pure crap and he told him right after it. Way to let your team down mr. special.:facepalm:

He could've and should've passed the ball on the last possession. Like I said before, Fisher is not the man to iso. However you see it or want to call it, that's not his game. A timeout should've been called IMO, set up a play and have Fisher spot up and shoot. That's his game.

kblo247
04-09-2010, 03:04 AM

Yes or No

Is Fisher a better clutch player than Artest, Odom, Pau, Shannon, Sasha, and Jordan?

Does Fisher have a better history of making smarter decisions with the ball than them late?

Would you honestly trust any of them with the game on the line over Fisher based on their career in those situations and not their stat lines?

At the end of the day the fact is Fish has hit the shots or made all the plays to set up the Kobe win in Boston, Memphis, Milwaukee, and versus Miami this year. He normally handles the ball or sets a screen to free Kobe or himself up in that situation and vice versa because defenses have to respect him late.

Without Kobe they simply can't set him up to win a game. With Kobe he gets setup and he gives Kobe just that moment of freedom because he is the second most dangerous threat on the floor. In a perfect world, with Kobe it doesn't come down to that but without Kobe you have to ask who is the best closer by default and that is Fisher.

Would I like a do over since I know the result? Sure, but it won't happen and I rather let Fisher get the shot he got minus the Melo switch over them trying to feed him on a wheel route like they did Boston and did him versus Denver in game 2 of last years playoffs as he will have even more guys contesting him.

iFYouSeekAmy
04-09-2010, 03:05 AM
Not missing much. Fisher just dribbled forever and didn't pass it. He shot the ball at the last second and got it swatted back to him by Melo.

If I were a Laker fan.. I guess I would be kinda pissed.

But since I'm not, I find that kinda hilarious especially the part where he gets swatted back by Melo when he tried to be the hero with the shot.:clap:

Avenged
04-09-2010, 03:07 AM
If I were a Laker fan.. I guess I would be kinda pissed.

But since I'm not, I find that kinda hilarious especially the part where he gets swatted back by Melo when he tried to be the hero with the shot.:clap:

Well he's been the hero plenty of times before. :shrug:
Good idea, just bad execution.

soonabooma
04-09-2010, 03:37 AM
Yes or No

Is Fisher a better clutch player than Artest, Odom, Pau, Shannon, Sasha, and Jordan?

Does Fisher have a better history of making smarter decisions with the ball than them late?

Would you honestly trust any of them with the game on the line over Fisher based on their career in those situations and not their stat lines?

At the end of the day the fact is Fish has hit the shots or made all the plays to set up the Kobe win in Boston, Memphis, Milwaukee, and versus Miami this year. He normally handles the ball or sets a screen to free Kobe or himself up in that situation and vice versa because defenses have to respect him late.

Without Kobe they simply can't set him up to win a game. With Kobe he gets setup and he gives Kobe just that moment of freedom because he is the second most dangerous threat on the floor. In a perfect world, with Kobe it doesn't come down to that but without Kobe you have to ask who is the best closer by default and that is Fisher.

Would I like a do over since I know the result? Sure, but it won't happen and I rather let Fisher get the shot he got minus the Melo switch over them trying to feed him on a wheel route like they did Boston and did him versus Denver in game 2 of last years playoffs as he will have even more guys contesting him.

Fisher choked with the game on the line....that's all that happened. Everything is so easy for guys like him when Kobe is playing. With Kobe out, he's supposed to be the veteran leader out there and that's what he does? It was pathetic. You could tell Artest wanted to puke, and I'm sure Phil was thinking the same thing. It was selfish. He's not Kobe Bryant, and he's not Michael Jordan. He's got plenty of capable guys to pass it to. I hate it when guys like him think they have the right to always jack up shots just becuz they hit a few lucky ones here and there. He cost them that game.:facepalm:

Avenged
04-09-2010, 03:42 AM
Fisher choked with the game on the line....that's all that happened. Everything is so easy for guys like him when Kobe is playing. With Kobe out, he's supposed to be the veteran leader out there and that's what he does? It was pathetic. You could tell Artest wanted to puke, and I'm sure Phil was thinking the same thing. It was selfish. He's not Kobe Bryant, and he's not Michael Jordan. He's got plenty of capable guys to pass it to. I hate it when guys like him think they have the right to always jack up shots just becuz they hit a few lucky ones here and there. He cost them that game.:facepalm:

You seem rather angry about Fisher, are you a Laker fan btw?
Fisher is a proven player in crunchtime, why wouldn't he take the last shot? He's by far not the most talented player in the Lakers roster but is second to Kobe in the final minutes of the game. Poor decision not to pass it I agree, but he is the man to take the last shot when Kobe's not around.

soonabooma
04-09-2010, 03:52 AM
No, I'm OKC born and bred. I just hate to see bad plays by guys that should know better. I don't care how many clutch shots he's hit before or if he's their favorite option after Kobe. He had a chance to help his team win that game in some way, and he chose to be selfish. Why do you think Artest went over to him right after it happened? Nobody knows what Artest said, but I guarantee it wasn't "hey man, nice try." He let him know he made a bad choice. The dude choked, that's all there is to it. He didn't have Kobe there to save him, and he straight up choked.

JabberJaw
04-09-2010, 04:40 AM
Love how all these people rag on Fisher and talk about what should've been done. Last I checked, it sure didn't look like any sort of situation was drawn up on that one. There were no plays being run, now movement (besides Ron at the very end), it was just an all out terrible way to end the game. When Kobe is actually playing, im sure Fisher won't be getting an isolations with the game on the line. Calm down. lol. Missing arguably the greatest player in the game and one of the best centers in the league and losing to "the Lakers biggest threat in the West" by a measly two points isn't a big deal.
The Lakers just learned that they can't let Fish create a shot for himself with the game on the line....but i'd still trust him to hit a key shot if someone makes the play for him.

Duncan = Donkey
04-09-2010, 04:53 AM
Derrick Fisher is so past it, its not even funny amymore. He is just utter trash. Bad defender, shoots a disgusting %. And he is so up him self. God i hate him.
He has a massive head as well. And man how ugly is his shot, its like a sling shot or something.
Just hang it up and start your coaching career. Your past it mate. Everyone knows it.

ManOnFire
04-09-2010, 09:21 AM
It appears Fisher should just stick to what he's good at...trying to send a message by mowing people over.

JordansBulls
04-09-2010, 10:35 AM
That last play was pathetic. :facepalm:
Who cares about it now. He shows up in the playoffs. Those plays in the finals last year show it.

td0tsfinest
04-09-2010, 10:38 AM
is there a video of it?

edit: I just saw the play. Phil's face was pricless.

jimbobjarree
04-09-2010, 10:55 AM
there was something a bit fishy about this game, I got the sense that the Lakers were purposely throwing it so they dont meet Denver 2nd round. Kobe rested...rested for this game when their next 4 or 5 are against cellar dwellers? The last play without a time out going to fisher with a pull up 3 man in his face? Sasha Vujacic playing the 4th quarter?

IDK, just got that feeling

bbcmillionaire
04-09-2010, 10:59 AM
lol ow shut up fishman could do what he wants, he is the 2nd most clutch player on you guys team, if that woulda went in, there would be like 50 threads that says fisher>>cp3,dwill,nash,billups,rondo,rose etc lol

bbcmillionaire
04-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Derrick Fisher is so past it, its not even funny amymore. He is just utter trash. Bad defender, shoots a disgusting %. And he is so up him self. God i hate him.
He has a massive head as well. And man how ugly is his shot, its like a sling shot or something.
Just hang it up and start your coaching career. Your past it mate. Everyone knows it.

lmao dayum buddy did the fishman rape you or something why the hate?

Gibby23
04-09-2010, 11:05 AM

It would have worked had Melo not made the switch as well since Fish can shoot that shot from his spot with ease over Billups. Melo deserves all the credit for stopping the play as he did what someone in Orlando should have done last finals, step out and make the shot hard for the only other guy on the team who can make and take big shots with no fear of the consequences.
Quit making stuff up. Phil called the play when JR was shooting freethrows. It wasn't for Fish, he wanted the ball to go to LO when Billups switched to him. Fisher didn't even look to pass and Phil said he misplayed the last play. Fishe is not good at hitting shots off the dribble, he isn't good at hitting any shots this year, but most of his clutch shots came from someone passing him the ball.

This is what Phil and Pau said about the last play:

http://lakers.freedomblogging.com/

The last play reflected the kind of late-game lack of execution you expect to see from young Oklahoma City in a playoff game, not the Lakers in a regular-season game. But Derek Fisher, while a trustworthy clutch shooter, isn’t used to creating the offense. I asked Pau Gasol what he saw on that last play that ended up with Fisher forcing a 3-pointer that was blocked by Carmelo Anthony.

“It was a play that we run quite a bit down the stretch,” Gasol answered. “But it didn’t turn out. They switched. Lamar (Odom) broke to the post to try and take advantage of the switch with (Chauncey) Billups on him. Derek didn’t see him, the clock ran out, and he had to take a shot.”

Said Phil Jackson: “We got the mismatch on it, but we didn’t have the action that we asked for. It was because we misplayed it.”

Fisher made the wrong play. He was 2-11 for the game. He isn't clutch this year, he isn't even good.

Ragun
04-09-2010, 11:05 AM
or hit a clutch shot for you guys AGAIN?

well they wouldnt be put in the position to make a clutch **** if he wasnt so ****.

Gibby23
04-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Who cares about it now. He shows up in the playoffs. Those plays in the finals last year show it.

And his play against Houston and Brooks almost got us bounced early. Good thing he got suspended 1 game that series.

Gibby23
04-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Love how all these people rag on Fisher and talk about what should've been done. Last I checked, it sure didn't look like any sort of situation was drawn up on that one. There were no plays being run, now movement (besides Ron at the very end), it was just an all out terrible way to end the game. When Kobe is actually playing, im sure Fisher won't be getting an isolations with the game on the line. Calm down. lol. Missing arguably the greatest player in the game and one of the best centers in the league and losing to "the Lakers biggest threat in the West" by a measly two points isn't a big deal.
The Lakers just learned that they can't let Fish create a shot for himself with the game on the line....but i'd still trust him to hit a key shot if someone makes the play for him.

They didn't just learn that, they know he is a spot up shooter. The fans already know Fish cant create for himself, Im sure Phil knows also, that is why Phil said Fisher misplayed it.

Avenged
04-09-2010, 11:12 AM
there was something a bit fishy about this game, I got the sense that the Lakers were purposely throwing it so they dont meet Denver 2nd round. Kobe rested...rested for this game when their next 4 or 5 are against cellar dwellers? The last play without a time out going to fisher with a pull up 3 man in his face? Sasha Vujacic playing the 4th quarter?

Nah Kobe had a swelled up Knee and Phil decided to rest him.
In case you haven't noticed, our bench sucks, so of course Sasha was going to play the fourth. Who else would you prefer? Farmar? :eyebrow:

ballpd05
04-09-2010, 11:12 AM
It was bad execution. I would want Derek Fisher taking the shot but I would want him to take it coming off the ball instead of handling it up the court and trying to create. Even with that it looked like he was supposed to come off the screen and shoot and then have an option to pass it to. He got Melo switched on him and no one could get open so he was forced to take a shot. You could see that when Melo switched he was looking to get rid of that ball until he realized he had to shoot.

It was a 2 point game, so I believe Pau, Ron, or LO should have had the ball in their hands to try and create a shot for themselves or others (mainly Derek in mind) in that last sequence since they are all better playmakers than Derek (even when he was in his prime he wasn't the break you down create for others player).

Avenged
04-09-2010, 11:19 AM
It was bad execution. I would want Derek Fisher taking the shot but I would want him to take it coming off the ball instead of handling it up the court and trying to create. Even with that it looked like he was supposed to come off the screen and shoot and then have an option to pass it to. He got Melo switched on him and no one could get open so he was forced to take a shot. You could see that when Melo switched he was looking to get rid of that ball until he realized he had to shoot.

It was a 2 point game, so I believe Pau, Ron, or LO should have had the ball in their hands to try and create a shot for themselves or others (mainly Derek in mind) in that last sequence since they are all better playmakers than Derek (even when he was in his prime he wasn't the break you down create for others player).

I can agree with this. Except for Pau having the ball in his hands trying to create in the last seconds of the game. The guy just seems to have sweaty hands in the last minutes of the game to create for his own. The ball should've been moved around, inside and out, and spot up Fisher for a three. Like i've said before, Fisher is not an iso guy, worse case scenario would have been to pass it to Ron since he didn't pass it to L.O.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
04-09-2010, 11:39 AM
I'm just glad they didnt call a foul!

AIMelo=KillaDUO
04-09-2010, 11:49 AM

didn't think about that JBJ... but kinda makes sense.

bbcmillionaire
04-09-2010, 11:49 AM
I'm just glad they didnt call a foul!

haha good sig bro, melo SHOULDA WON ROOKIE OF THE YEAR but lebron is the better player now(slightly)

Avenged
04-09-2010, 03:19 PM
didn't think about that JBJ... but kinda makes sense.

Yeah, obviously the Lakers threw that game. Kobe resting had nothing to do with his knee swelling up.