PDA

View Full Version : Should HS Seniors Be Allowed To Enter The NBA Draft?

R_O_W_E
04-08-2010, 06:52 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/espnu100?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fespnu100

The argument is going to come up again during the negotiations for the next CBA, but they might end up reinstating the rule to allow them to enter the Draft considering 1 & Dones are becoming way too prioritized in college basketball. Some of these guys in college this season would've gone pro out of HS but really did any of them improve? John Wall was/is still a beast and 1 year really didn't change his game. If he had done 4 years he might've gotten better but 1 year not so much.

I think the addition of the NBDL as a legit minor league for players has helped develop the talent in the NBA. There seems to be less guys picked in the 1st Round now in each draft who flat out cant play in the NBA, some still disappoint but there aren't any Darko or Kwame level busts.

With the time currently with a lot of kids looking for NBA or even Europe money, if HS Seniors could enter this year, there would probably be like 15-20 of them who would. Even if they end up having to take the NBDL route, atleast they're getting paid and facing tougher competition.

Toenail Clipper
04-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Yeah, but not all of them. If they play like LeBron and Kobe, then make an exception.

NYKnicks4511
04-08-2010, 07:12 PM
Yeah, but not all of them. If they play like LeBron and Kobe, then make an exception.

The NBA won't be subjective in that sense, it will be a yes or no thing for every High School Athlete who wants to declare.

Me personally, I think that there are way too many kids in tough situations to make them go to college for a year only to drop out and postpone their success a full season. Also, if a player is set upon entering the draft and is forced to go to college instead of making the jump from HS -> NBA - there is always the possibility that an injury may occur and derail that player's career.

That argument can also be reversed since many kids who may not otherwise have had a chance to get a college education can go to school because of basketball.

Either way NBA Teams will be VERY reluctant to pick a player straight out of High School in the Lottery because it's obviously a difficult transition for some, others handle it more easily.

IMO the problem will take care of itself when some HS Athletes see that their peers' stock falls based on the fact that they are making the jump - and will choose college after witnessing other players' success (and after seeing them more likely to be picked in the Lottery/First Round).

HoopsDrive
04-08-2010, 07:14 PM
The NBA won't be subjective in that sense, it will be a yes or no thing for every High School Athlete who wants to declare.

Me personally, I think that there are way too many kids in tough situations to make them go to college for a year only to drop out and postpone their success a full season. Also, if a player is set upon entering the draft and is forced to go to college instead of making the jump from HS -> NBA - there is always the possibility that an injury may occur and derail that player's career.

That argument can also be reversed since many kids who may not otherwise have had a chance to get a college education can go to school because of basketball.

Either way NBA Teams will be VERY reluctant to pick a player straight out of High School in the Lottery because it's obviously a difficult transition for some, others handle it more easily.

IMO the problem will take care of itself when some HS Athletes see that their peers' stock falls based on the fact that they are making the jump - and will choose college after witnessing other players' success (and after seeing them more likely to be picked in the Lottery/First Round).

Wow. This deserves a :clap:

Draco
04-08-2010, 07:15 PM
No, and increase the restriction to age 20.

D Roses Bulls
04-08-2010, 07:31 PM

actually kobe was pretty bad his first couple of years in the NBA. i still remember kobe throwing up air ball 3's while being doubled teamed

Kefman2110
04-08-2010, 07:49 PM
I think they should be able to. However, there should be some sort of tryout to even see if they have the skills to even compete. Obviously people like Lebron will have no problem passing the tryouts but for the guys who dont make the cut, they go to college. I think thats fair all together. And once there in college they at least have to stay til there sophmore year is over. Let me know what you guys think.

homestarunner93
04-08-2010, 07:50 PM
Yes, please reinstate this. One-and-done players have no place in college basketball. They are wasting the money and resources of schools, because they have no intention of obtaining a degree. It is a shameful process that should be done away with. If these kids want to jump straight the NBA from High School and have no fall back plan once they blow all their money on houses, women, booze, and drugs, then let them fail.

xbrackattackx
04-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Only for exceptional talent, Who then has to try out in front of scouts and let them know if they need college or if they are ready.

JNA17
04-08-2010, 07:57 PM
actually kobe was pretty bad his first couple of years in the NBA.

Sorry but let me take this time to put some laugh smiles.

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2::laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

in his 2nd year, kobe was an all star even when he was a bench player. In his first year however he had very limited minutes so did not do much.

But bad? Then im the reincarnation of Zeus.

ChiSox219
04-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Yes, please reinstate this. One-and-done players have no place in college basketball. They are wasting the money and resources of schools, because they have no intention of obtaining a degree. It is a shameful process that should be done away with. If these kids want to jump straight the NBA from High School and have no fall back plan once they blow all their money on houses, women, booze, and drugs, then let them fail.

A kid like John Wall brings in several times more money than he gets from the school.

Some kids go to college for a year and figure out their plan, drop out, start companies and become multi-millionaires. Don't see what the big deal is with these kids going for just one year and then proceeding to the next level. A college education isn't all about books, tests, and getting a degree.

ChiSox219
04-08-2010, 08:01 PM
Sorry but let me take this time to put some laugh smiles.

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2::laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

in his 2nd year, kobe was an all star even when he was a bench player. In his first year however he had very limited minutes so did not do much.

But bad? Then im the reincarnation of Zeus.

A year of college might have been good for Kobe, considering how much he struggled to take care of the ball when he first came into the league.

JNA17
04-08-2010, 08:04 PM
A kid like John Wall brings in several times more money than he gets from the school.

Some kids go to college for a year and figure out their plan, drop out, start companies and become multi-millionaires. Don't see what the big deal is with these kids going for just one year and then proceeding to the next level. A college education isn't all about books, tests, and getting a degree.

that's actually a good point.

look at bill gates, i think he only stayed in harvard for less then half a year and then dropped out. I don't think an explanation is needed what happened lol.

JNA17
04-08-2010, 08:06 PM
A year of college might have been good for Kobe, considering how much he struggled to take care of the ball when he first came into the league.

true, he had some trouble in his "FIRST YEAR" esspiecially not much playing time.

But you also have to remember he did not come to the NBA and have that lebron or durant type of roll where they become the auto 1 option and expect to carry the team for the future, he started out as a bench player and had to work his way up, then in his 2nd year, still played bench and ended up starting in a all star game at the age of 19 anyway.

evadatam5150
04-08-2010, 08:15 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/espnu100?&action=login&appredirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fespnu100

the argument is going to come up again during the negotiations for the next cba, but they might end up reinstating the rule to allow them to enter the draft considering 1 & dones are becoming way too prioritized in college basketball. Some of these guys in college this season would've gone pro out of hs but really did any of them improve? John wall was/is still a beast and 1 year really didn't change his game. If he had done 4 years he might've gotten better but 1 year not so much.

I think the addition of the nbdl as a legit minor league for players has helped develop the talent in the nba. There seems to be less guys picked in the 1st round now in each draft who flat out cant play in the nba, some still disappoint but there aren't any darko or kwame level busts.

With the time currently with a lot of kids looking for nba or even europe money, if hs seniors could enter this year, there would probably be like 15-20 of them who would. Even if they end up having to take the nbdl route, atleast they're getting paid and facing tougher competition.

yes

ChiSox219
04-08-2010, 08:17 PM
true, he had some trouble in his "FIRST YEAR" esspiecially not much playing time.

But you also have to remember he did not come to the NBA and have that lebron or durant type of roll where they become the auto 1 option and expect to carry the team for the future, he started out as a bench player and had to work his way up, then in his 2nd year, still played bench and ended up starting in a all star game at the age of 19 anyway.

If Kobe came in and was able to take care of the ball and display solid shot selection he would have played more minutes. When you turn the ball over more often than you assist a teammate, you will find it difficult to stay on the court, especially as a guard. I know Eddie Jones was there, and I'm not saying Kobe would've started and played 40 minutes a game, but if Kobe was polished he's playing more minutes than Jerome Kersey.

bradyoverrated
04-08-2010, 08:28 PM
they should be able to go to the nba as as long as they are 18. if they choose to go to college, they should be required to get a 4 year degree, though.

if they aren't ready for nba at 18, and don't want to commit to enriching their minds, there should be a minor league.

leave college sports to students.

Iodine
04-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Meh, let them leave from HS but make a different contract scale for them

JDizzle
04-08-2010, 08:36 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm nooooooo get a year of college under your belt its good for the school you go to its good for you **** if you like it you might even want to stay for another season

NYtilIdie
04-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Money>Degree

Im pretty sure majority of basketball stars like John Wall dont go for the degree anyway mostly for partying and see how many groupies they can get while their a college star and to get a taste of what the NBA life is like.

If I had a choice to whether I make millions of dollars or go to college for 4 years and get a degree. Oh you best believe im choosing the NBA lifestyle every time without question.

OaklandsFinest
04-08-2010, 09:02 PM
I think they should do like the NFL but make the kids wait 2 years out of high school. The only players I remember being ready to not only play but contribute right of highschool or one year of school has been Lebron and Carmello. I think too many players are drafted based on their "ceiling" opposed to how good they actually are. Players should be coming in and ready to help teams right away. Imagine how good John Wall would be if he played another year? Another year may be the difference between being a bust and being a legit big man for a guy like Cousins, or Whiteside in this years draft. Hasheem Thabeet should have still been in school honing his offense this year, but instead he was "playing" in the NBA trying to learn on the fly. I still feel like if Kwame Brown had gone to school for 2 years at Florida like he was planning he would be probably as good as Dwight Howard. I don't like hearing about how much money each player makes for the school, they are earning a priceless education and if they don't take advantage of that education then that is their own fault for not maximizing their time. Education is the ultimate asset and money is ok. I would maybe like to see them entertain the idea of making money for appearances during their sophomore season.

Iodine
04-08-2010, 09:19 PM
highschool or one year of school has been Lebron and Carmello.

I think too many players are drafted based on their "ceiling" opposed to how good they actually are. Players should be coming in and ready to help teams right away. Imagine how good John Wall would be if he played another year?

Another year may be the difference between being a bust and being a legit big man for a guy like Cousins, or Whiteside in this years draft.

Hasheem Thabeet should have still been in school honing his offense this year, but instead he was "playing" in the NBA trying to learn on the fly.

I still feel like if Kwame Brown had gone to school for 2 years at Florida like he was planning he would be probably as good as Dwight Howard.

So um yeah guys I got this one

1st part= Um Durant, Some guy named Dwight, TyFreak, Amare, AI, and Josh Smith to name a few

2nd= John Wall is a Athlete, the longer he can be that, the more NBA teams want him. That is all, also LOL at thinking Calipari actually cares about having him fill out his game

3rd= Cousins is considered the most NBA ready prospect in the draft

4th= Thabeet went there for 3 years......:facepalm:

Kwame has supremely small hands and a bad Vert. Going to college would just expose that

EaglesJackson10
04-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Yeah they should be allowed to do what they want but I don't mind the rule it makes the college game more interesting.

albertc86
04-08-2010, 09:30 PM
In my opinion, the system is corrupt. These so-called "student athletes" are evidently given favors in one form or another. How many stories have we read of an athlete back in high school or college being given monetary incentives or passed without merit? I mean, watch and listen to some of these athletes be and it's not hard to see that they were given a free pass back in school. The whole "one and done" card is overplayed. What's the difference between that and "two and done"? Nothing. Why give some of these kids one more year of wasted education? The particular college that the given athlete attends may benefit but not the athlete. If the kid is ready for the NBA then that's where he should be.

29$JerZ
04-08-2010, 09:31 PM
I think the most fair thing to do is allow HS Seniors to go pro after completing HS. If they choose not to at least do a minimum of 2 years in college.

Teams picking players strictly off potential doesn't really hurt if your a constant lottery team and can afford a few bad seasons, it's the teams looking for a gem to make an immediate impact that make it look bad.

D-League is also very under utilized but I don't see how you could incorporate it in regards to drafting since its nothing like a Farm System in baseball.

It'd be best to stop the 1 and done deal or make it a longer service to college.

albertc86
04-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Kwame has supremely small hands and a bad Vert. Going to college would just expose that

It wasn't Kwame's fault that he was chosen first. He clearly wasn't top pick ready when Jordan gave the nod. I think he still would've been drafted into the NBA though. His defense is actually solid.

FlakeyFool
04-08-2010, 09:36 PM
go to college, bang some hunnies, go to NBA.

what high schooler doesn't want to do this?

Iodine
04-08-2010, 09:47 PM
It wasn't Kwame's fault that he was chosen first. He clearly wasn't top pick ready when Jordan gave the nod. I think he still would've been drafted into the NBA though. His defense is actually solid.

I agree with you, but he did use kwame as an example

iggypop123
04-08-2010, 09:47 PM
if you are old enough to go die in war should be able to go to the damn nba

td0tsfinest
04-08-2010, 09:55 PM
One thing I will say is this one and done thing is really hurting some Schools. I'm sure Kentucky had a feeling Wall and Cousins would enter the draft after one year but they're also losing Bledsoe and Orton, who could have made a bigger impact next year than they did this year.

spoonhoops
04-08-2010, 09:58 PM
I really don't like the one and done current situation. It should either be the players can enter the draft right after high school and be done with it or the players have to go to 2 years of college, then can enter the draft. If the latter happens, this way the college athletes will take meaningful classes so if they want to go back to school, they have a foundation laid out for them.

Raidaz4Life
04-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Of course... if are 18 let them go make a living for themselves.

Mrphilly
04-08-2010, 10:41 PM
How about you Let HS kids enter the draft, but make a rule that they can not be drafted in the first round. That way it may scare some kids into going to school because of the non guaranteed contract. Alsp It takes all the risk out of drafting HS kids.

Does that sound crazy???

heathonater
04-08-2010, 10:46 PM
either get rid of that stupid one and done rule and allow hs seniors to enter the draft, or make it a two year minimum in college before entering the draft.

blah-blah
04-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Yes.

OBredskin
04-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Your youth and talent will fade after so many years, you can go to college after your NBA career, hell you can go to college with no legs and arms (I've seen it). The 1 and done is stupid...first year in college you take pre-requisite classes like english 101-102 (if you qualify) biology 101-102, history 101-102 etc. You can take those classes at a community college, don't need to go to Kentucky....so the education value for a 1 and done is as valuable at Kentucky as it is at any Junior College, you take the same classes.

The problem I see is on the other side, out of all the players that made the jump from HS to NBA only a few of them have panned out to be worth the risk. So if I were a GM, unless I saw a Lebron or Kobe it would be enticing. Now a Deshawn Stevenson, not so enticing. Get my point?

Swashcuff
04-08-2010, 11:34 PM
How about you Let HS kids enter the draft, but make a rule that they can not be drafted in the first round. That way it may scare some kids into going to school because of the non guaranteed contract. Alsp It takes all the risk out of drafting HS kids.

Does that sound crazy???

VERY crazy. The you'd have teams competing for the 31st, 32nd and 33rd pick. That makes no sense AT ALL. They'll be so may great second rounders it wont even be funny.

Statik1
04-08-2010, 11:35 PM
Yes, enough of this one and done ********...

I use to be in favor and thought it was a good idea but its turned into a complete joke.

ragee
04-09-2010, 12:07 AM

Yeah, but that would be like what? 1 out 10 HS prospects? How would you know if he is going to be as good as Kobe or Lebron? In my opinion, it would be best to let them go to college for a year... For most HS prospect, they would benefit a lot from it... Even if he is the next Lebron and Kobe, I think it wouldn't hurt them to go to college for one year and learn the value of teamwork and camaraderie... It cold also lessen their egos a little bit...

abe_froman
04-09-2010, 12:10 AM
hell no.

yeah i dont really care about it being "right" or "wrong",me being a spectator why should i?.rookies/younger players are better/more sound then before.the product def improved..that much is so hard to deny.so why advocate to go back to a product that was worse?

never really got fans passion over this.instead of getting the rose's,evan's,curry's that make impacts right away they rather go back to drafting tmac's and bynum's were they cant/wont contribute or help a team till after their rookie contract is up..never understood why anyone would want to go back to that

DC HEELS
04-09-2010, 12:16 AM

ummm no they wont, potental is potental. Nba teams would haven taken a chance on a Lebron or Wall when they were 15 years old if they could have. This is one of the most craziest rules to me. I just cant fathom how you can tell a kid he cant go play basketball and make a living for his family bc hes not old enough? Did u see Lebron and Oden types in high school anyway, they look like 35 year old man, and as far as the mental part, these kids are so hyped now with AAU, touneys, even ESPN coverage for HS games there practical Stars in HS. SO for every dodo head that doesnt make it in the nba coming outstr8 of HS doesnt mean there needs to be an age limit. Theres been plenty of kids that came out of college that didnt make it for whatever reason.(physically or mentally) Hell Artest when to college, hes muy loco. SO i just dont get it, make kids go to school when they have no desire to. Your making a mockhery of college bball and to that instiution there goin to. Also these kids are makin so much dam money, if they dont suceed they can go back to school, and if they blown all there money they can get a loan from sallie mae, like i did. DUmbest rule ever....let the kids ball

fadedmario
04-09-2010, 12:34 AM
Yes I think they should be able to. It's not fair to deny someone a living because of age.

Lindystud36
04-09-2010, 01:31 AM
Let them go right into the NBA
But Just Hire NBA official scouts to give them all a reccomendation that is private on where they could be drafted based on their skills and potential.

Also televise some of the NBADL games so that way the future stars can be promoted much like they would be in college.

C_Mund
04-09-2010, 01:46 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/espnu100?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fespnu100

The argument is going to come up again during the negotiations for the next CBA, but they might end up reinstating the rule to allow them to enter the Draft considering 1 & Dones are becoming way too prioritized in college basketball. Some of these guys in college this season would've gone pro out of HS but really did any of them improve? John Wall was/is still a beast and 1 year really didn't change his game. If he had done 4 years he might've gotten better but 1 year not so much.

I think the addition of the NBDL as a legit minor league for players has helped develop the talent in the NBA. There seems to be less guys picked in the 1st Round now in each draft who flat out cant play in the NBA, some still disappoint but there aren't any Darko or Kwame level busts.

With the time currently with a lot of kids looking for NBA or even Europe money, if HS Seniors could enter this year, there would probably be like 15-20 of them who would. Even if they end up having to take the NBDL route, atleast they're getting paid and facing tougher competition.

Is this a product of the NBDL or is the draft becoming stronger because there's no longer kids entering the draft straight out of high school?

Ovratd1up
04-09-2010, 01:50 AM
No, kids shouldn't be detained from pursuing a salary and supporting themselves and their families because of age.

R_O_W_E
04-09-2010, 11:21 AM
Is this a product of the NBDL or is the draft becoming stronger because there's no longer kids entering the draft straight out of high school?

Im not sure. If guys like Beasley, Rose, Tyreke, etc would have come straight out of HS to the NBA would they suddenly have less of a chance to be successful in the NBA? These guys were proven NBA ready players, whether if they came out of HS or after 1 year in college. Did the 1 year in Europe improve Brandon Jennings' game? Not really, he just used it as a learning experience to deal with being a professional.

I think the NBDL helps too, I think 1/5 of the players in the NBA currently have played in the NBDL.

R_O_W_E
04-09-2010, 11:29 AM
never really got fans passion over this.instead of getting the rose's,evan's,curry's that make impacts right away they rather go back to drafting tmac's and bynum's were they cant/wont contribute or help a team till after their rookie contract is up..never understood why anyone would want to go back to that

Thats what makes it special don't ya think? With the NBDL now teams would be able to get their young player game experience, and help them improve skills in game action rather than letting them to sit for several years on the bench rotting away like Darko, Jermaine O'Neal, etc.

With young players from HS coming into the league we can actually go back to seeing young players develop in their first few years while turning the NBDL into a legit minor league. If a guy like Tristan Thompson came out early and entered the NBA Draft, but the team felt he needed to develop his skills before he can crack the rotation, you could send him to the NBDL where can improve his game facing guys who've been in the league for 3+ years while making a NBA salary. Whats better? Going to college for a year and 9/10 of your games are against teams that wont even have 1 guy make the NBDL or playing against former college basketball stars/fellow top HS players and working to improve your game while making a NBA salary.

ballpd05
04-09-2010, 11:39 AM
I think they should for a couple reasons. Kids should be allowed to go if they are ready and if the NBA thinks they are ready. Some of the best players in the game, and arguably 3 of the 5 best, have come straight from HS: Lebron, Kobe, D12. And because of the one and done some of the universities are getting in trouble because of the lack of focus on schoolwork after bball season (even though the lack of focus will happen whatever year they decide to enter the draft).

I disagree with you about development. I believe most players improve their games or get exposed in college. John Wall was a beast and in college when the competition is much better physically and skill wise you get to see what he really can do, what he needs to work on, and he gets a chance to show you he has improved. In some cases college can hurt someone's stock because they will struggle and that struggle is alarming to coaches, whether it be their fault or the coaches strategy.

I favor the baseball rule that says go straight out of HS or stay at least 3 years.

JasonJohnHorn
04-09-2010, 11:50 AM
YES!!!!!

Look at the impact some of the more recent straight-from-highschool guys have had: LBJ, Amare, and Dwight Howard.

Obviously not all guys who hop to the pros will do that well. Some guys will get good but take time to develop (Kobe, McGrady, Garnett), and some may not develop at all (Teflair, Kwambe Brown and Darious Miles). But this is the way it goes with all draft picks.

I think personally that most player would benefit greatly from going to college for a couple of years, Teflair, for example, may have been more equiped for the NBA had he spent four year in college really learning his craft. In the NBA often times its sink or swim, and he has just sunk despite his potential.

Bottom line is: there are plenty of sports where people can go pro at a young age, like tennis for example, and if a guy can earn a salary, then he should be allowed to earn his salary. If he can contribute, and a team wants pay him, and draft him, then he should have a right to earn his living. When I was done highschool I got a job and nobody told me: you have to wait a year before you can apply here. I'm not sure why the NBA has taken this approach outside of the fact that owners want to reduce risks of drafting and investing several years in a highschool player only to see him fly the coupe and head to another team (like McGrady did), or waste a pick on a flop (like Kwambe), but this will happen whether or not the guys are out of highschool (look at how big a flop Oden has turned out to be, or Danny Ferry was, or big names that took flight for other teams like Shaq and Kareem).

Its the owners' fault that so many guys were coming out of highschool, because they were drafting so many so high. Just like the owners want to reduce the size and legnths of contracts, but they are the ones who were throwing out big and long contracts. If owners took less risks, contracts would be smaller, and highschool players (outside of guys like Howard and LBJ) would fall to the second round and have no reason to come out of highschool because their draft day stock would rise if they went to college for a couple seasons. The owners can fix this by simply not taking risks, but they take bigs risks in the hopes they pay off.

If they do prevent highschool players from entering (as they have been doing lately), then they will likely start taking the Brandon Jennings route and get paid in Europe, and that may keep the talent out of the NBA even longer because the big European contracts have already been keeping players like Tiago Splittner and Rick Rubio out of the NBA, and this may start happening with American talent as well.

twoearl
04-09-2010, 01:42 PM
Nope. I say increase the limit to two years in college! It's not just about improving on the court, it also about improving as men. College helps these guys grow up a bit and also lets the NBA see how they react to a more structed game. It is very tough to evaluate how a high school kid will play in the nba. 90% of the time they are playing against 5' 6" boys who have no pro future. They SHOULD average 30 a game. lol

NY Till I Die
04-09-2010, 02:11 PM
The only reason it was stopped was to protect the teams for paying guaranteed money to teenagers that might not pan out to be anything. There's always exceptions, players that make it and blow up (Garnett, Kobe, Lebron) but then you have the ones that dont work out (Gerald Green, Jonathan Bender). They should reinstate it. They put the rookie cap in place and thought that would stop them from forgoing college.

If they dont let them play in the NBA they will all got the Brandon Jennings route play overseas for one year, get paid and then enter the draft.

Bseball doesnt mind. But the NBDL doesnt have the same respect as minor league baseball. If the NBDL was treated as a starting point then the kids could go there for one year without having to leave the country.

mjt20mik
04-09-2010, 02:20 PM
We should do the whole 4 years of college to be eligible. Honestly, getting these kids education is more important that like 2 - 3 years of playing ball.

R_O_W_E
04-09-2010, 02:32 PM
We should do the whole 4 years of college to be eligible. Honestly, getting these kids education is more important that like 2 - 3 years of playing ball.

It doesn't matter. There are players who do 4 years of college that don't graduate, instead they drop out after the basketball season is over to prepare for the Draft/Summer League/Overseas opportunities.

There is a difference between going to college for an education, and getting an education in college. If you have no plans to apply what you're learning, then going to college is pointless.

There are basketball players in college right now who are majoring in ****ing Physical Education.

ShockerArt
04-09-2010, 02:46 PM
I've never understood how the NBA can legally block kids from entering the association immediately after high school. There's precedent to show that kids can successfully compete at the NBA level right out of high school. There's no educational or training requirement that needs to be met during the one-year waiting period. If a kid is 18 years old, I don't really see how the NBA can get away with keeping him from being hired by an NBA team. It seems like age discrimination to me.

JWO35
04-09-2010, 03:19 PM
They should be able come straight out of HS...The best players in the NBA Today came straight out of HS. And the young Superstars of tomorrow(such as Tyreke, Rose, Durant), would have most likely came to the NBA Straight out of HS too. IMO 1 and Done players are just wasting College scholarships(most of them won't even attend school after 1st semester)

Iodine
04-09-2010, 03:25 PM
Lol at the dleague improving guys. It's just a talent showcase, and the complexity of the game is more like middle school

save the knicks
04-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Stupid owners and GMs + High bust rate = ****** league

JNA17
04-10-2010, 12:05 AM
yes