PDA

View Full Version : Are You Impressed?

Lakers4ItAll
04-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Don Nelson now has the most wins ever for an NBA coach. Since he has never won a championship and everyone knows that his way of coaching will probably never win one this acomplishment doesn't seem all that great to me.

What do you guys think?

MagicDojo
04-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Well its an accompishment. I wouldnt disrespect what he has done. Nobody else has done it./

asandhu23
04-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Blind Homerism: well that record is impressive considering he never puts emphasis on defense.

tredigs
04-08-2010, 03:56 PM
If he was the coach Jordan's Bulls and Shaq's Lakers he would have somewhere in the vicinity of 9 rings right now.

That said, no, it's an accomplishment of longevity. Which in itself is an accomplishment, but I'm pretty sure that people are well aware of the shortcomings in his career. Still doesn't discount the fact that he spent the majority of his career with teams that NO head coach would have won a Finals with.

wileyisTOFU
04-08-2010, 04:00 PM
funny to think he used to play in the NBA.

facepalm at the nba before it was 77% african american.

Lakers4ItAll
04-08-2010, 04:04 PM
I think that you're a troll/random internet hater for even making this thread, and that if he was the coach Jordan's Bulls and Shaq's Lakers he would have somewhere in the vicinity of 9 rings right now.

That said, no, it's an accomplishment of longevity. Which in itself is an accomplishment, but I'm pretty sure that people are well aware of the shortcomings in his career. Still doesn't discount the fact that he spent the majority of his career with teams that NO head coach would have won a Finals with.

Not a change because he would have told them to not play D and defense wins championships

tredigs
04-08-2010, 04:12 PM
Not a change because he would have told them to not play D and defense wins championships

lmao. I bet bud. "HEY PIPPEN, RODMAN, JORDAN. I KNOW YOURE THE BEST IN THE LEAGUE AT WHAT YOU DO. BUT WILL YOU STOP PLAYING SUCH GOOD ****ING D?!??"

That's how it would play out I'm sure, right? Probably has nothing to do with the fact that he's had run and gun style players for the majority of his career. Nash + Nowitzki was his best team he's had the chance to coach.

And in case you're asking yourself... no, those two have never won an NBA championship -- with any coach, on any team.

chicago lulz
04-08-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm impressed. Quite the accomplishment.

clehmun
04-08-2010, 04:24 PM
I'd like to see his record though. He might have the most wins in NBA history, but I'm sure he's close to the most loses as well.

I'm impressed because he's good enough to coach in the NBA for so long. But I'm not impressed because he doesn't have a great winning percentage.

Niro
04-08-2010, 04:29 PM
I'd like to see his record though. He might have the most wins in NBA history, but I'm sure he's close to the most loses as well.

I'm impressed because he's good enough to coach in the NBA for so long. But I'm not impressed because he doesn't have a great winning percentage.
actually his winning % is okay

Don Nelson 1,333 1,061 .557
Lenny Wilkens 1,332 1,155 .536
Pat Riley 1,210 694 .636
Jerry Sloan 1,137 751 .602
Larry Brown 1,045 847 .552
Phil Jackson 1,041 435 .705
Bill Fitch 944 1,106 .460
Red Auerbach 938 479 .662
Dick Motta 935 1,017 .479
George Karl 933 642 .592

Iodine
04-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Tredigs just unleashed his fury on the thread

clehmun
04-08-2010, 04:35 PM
actually his winning % is okay

Don Nelson 1,333 1,061 .557
Lenny Wilkens 1,332 1,155 .536
Pat Riley 1,210 694 .636
Jerry Sloan 1,137 751 .602
Larry Brown 1,045 847 .552
Phil Jackson 1,041 435 .705
Bill Fitch 944 1,106 .460
Red Auerbach 938 479 .662
Dick Motta 935 1,017 .479
George Karl 933 642 .592

Thanks for bringing that up.
It's definitely a big accomplishment. But like I've said, Nellie has 292 more wins than Phil Jackson, but it took him 918 more games to do it.

but we all know it'd be nearly impossible for jackson to coach 10 more seasons. That's why it's quite impressive that Nellie managed to coach that long.

Tony_Starks
04-08-2010, 04:35 PM
I'm more impressed with the concepts that he introduced to the game like the point forward and also putting your best 5 on the floor regardless of position. I was watching his interview last night and he said he couldn't see why a big couldn't dribble and shoot or why a guard couldn't post up.

In a way he really did change the game.

ackar
04-08-2010, 04:39 PM
congratz are in order so congratz!

S.J.Basketball
04-08-2010, 04:44 PM
I love the people who are blindly downplaying/hating on his record. Don Nelson was an innovator and helped change the game forever. The man deserves respect.

Avenged
04-08-2010, 04:47 PM
I love the people who are blindly downplaying/hating on his record. Don Nelson was an innovator and helped change the game forever. The man deserves respect.

Oh man, I had to look twice at your sig... Garnett as a laker?? :confused:

SirCalvin81
04-08-2010, 04:54 PM
how can u not b suprised

braveniler58
04-08-2010, 05:24 PM
It's impressive, regardless of championships. I'd like to see you guys win as many games as he did as a NBA coach. :rolleyes:

RaiderLakersA's
04-08-2010, 05:44 PM
I want to be impressed, but something tells me that if a coach hired now had Nelly's inconsistent track record, he'd be fired before too long. Favoratism and longevity are as much to credit for Nelly's record as his coaching style.

KnicksorBust
04-08-2010, 05:49 PM
If he was the coach Jordan's Bulls and Shaq's Lakers he would have somewhere in the vicinity of 9 rings right now.

:laugh: There's no way he handles those egos as well as Phil Jackson.

JasonJohnHorn
04-08-2010, 09:30 PM
The thing that amazes me about Don Nelson is that anybody would even give him a job.

Guys like Lenny Wilkens and Mike Fratello have often taken on bad teams and turned them around and their win loss records may not be better than Nelson's, but Nelson has often had great talent to work with and has done little with it, has had numerous issues with players, and has seen great teams underachieve under his guidance and never really contend.

I'd take Lenny Wilkens on my bench any day of the week over Nelson without hesitating.

I'm not tryign to hate or anything, I've just seen him tank with some great talent on his roster, and he's made as many mistakes as GM as he has as a coach and complicated what could have been a great Warriors team back in the day that say guys like Tyron Hill, Chris Webber, Chris Mullen, Mitch Richmond, Latrell Sprewell, Tim Hardaway and Billy Owens (among others). But he always made moves that ruined chemistry and never really had a strong defensive set.

Bruno
04-08-2010, 11:46 PM
In a league where multiple coaches are fired and replaced every single season, to not be impressed with an accomplishment recognizing longevity is foolish. I bet Nelson has been coaching and winning for longer than the creator of this thread has been alive. No offense.

iFYouSeekAmy
04-09-2010, 12:20 AM
Nelson hasn't really been on an already-solid team.

He took the Bucks and rebuilt it from scratch.

He rebuilt the Mavs (I'm not sure if that's correct)

He rebuilt the Warriors in two separate decades.. (2007 playoff run was amazing..)

His style of offense is very entertaining..

He has an eye for talent.

If he was ever on a solid team, as stated, Bulls or Lakers, he would've won a championship from there. But he took a horrible team, rebuilt it, and made it contenders.

iFYouSeekAmy
04-09-2010, 12:21 AM
In a league where multiple coaches are fired and replaced every single season, to not be impressed with an accomplishment recognizing longevity is foolish. I bet Nelson has been coaching and winning for longer than the creator of this thread has been alive. No offense.

31 years?

ldc62
04-09-2010, 12:32 AM
how long has he been coaching?

Ovratd1up
04-09-2010, 12:45 AM
Thanks for bringing that up.
It's definitely a big accomplishment. But like I've said, Nellie has 292 more wins than Phil Jackson, but it took him 918 more games to do it.

but we all know it'd be nearly impossible for jackson to coach 10 more seasons. That's why it's quite impressive that Nellie managed to coach that long.

It took Phil about 5 more superstars and the GOAT.

iFYouSeekAmy
04-09-2010, 12:48 AM
how long has he been coaching?

31 years?

He didn't have the best teams to coach though.. he coached bad teams and rebuilt them..

sunnydayin'zona
04-09-2010, 12:51 AM
31 years?

he's coached 30 full seasons mathematically, but if he ever was unemployed for a year, then likely yes, he has coached since before you were born. nba that is. guaranteed before you were born, he was coaching something else

sunnydayin'zona
04-09-2010, 12:52 AM
oh, and he actually has 5 championship rings, as a player.

sunnydayin'zona
04-09-2010, 12:54 AM
first nba head coaching job was in 1976, says wikipedia. 34 years ago.

BkOriginalOne
04-09-2010, 01:10 AM
It means he knows how to win games in the regular season.

OaklandsFinest
04-09-2010, 01:39 AM
lol he also runs the best players on Golden State out of our city......

JasonJohnHorn
04-09-2010, 08:52 AM
lmao. I bet bud. "HEY PIPPEN, RODMAN, JORDAN. I KNOW YOURE THE BEST IN THE LEAGUE AT WHAT YOU DO. BUT WILL YOU STOP PLAYING SUCH GOOD ****ING D?!??"

That's how it would play out I'm sure, right? Probably has nothing to do with the fact that he's had run and gun style players for the majority of his career. Nash + Nowitzki was his best team he's had the chance to coach.

And in case you're asking yourself... no, those two have never won an NBA championship -- with any coach, on any team.

Nelson has never focused on defence, and Phil Jackson is a defensive minded coach, and great defensive teams do better in the playoffs. As for telling Rodman not to play D, the real issue is that Rodman would never be welcome on a Don Nelson team! When Jackson brought in a great defensive point guard like Darrell Walker to send Jordan into fits in practice and make him more effect on offence while having a solid defender coming off the bench (like Randy Brown in the second Bull three-pear), Don Nelson would have been crawling to give Craig Hodges a contract extension instead of letting him go. There is no doubt the focus of the Bulls with a guy like Jordan, would have been "run and gun".

There is no way, even with the same talent that Jackson has had under him, that Don Nelson would have any where near nine rings. It is important to understand how Jackson taught defence, and came up with an efficient offence pattern (or at least was smart enough to use Tex Winter's offensive set up). Jackson was a mentor to Pippen and Pippen became a great defender and ball handler under Jackson's guidance. That likely would not have happened under Nelson. And Nelson would have been making dumb @$$ trades every year, like he did in Golden State his first time around, moving great players like Mitch Richmond for unproven rookies like Billy Owens, handing over draft picks to grab Webber only to mishandle the talented rookie and end up having to trade him. There are a lot of players who straight up played better once they left Nelson: Harrington and Jackson most recently, but even in years past, guys like Webber (though in Nelson's defence that was Webber's rookie year- but Nelson also insisted on playing him out of position at center), Sprewell and Richmond. Evne Chris Galting and Tyron Hill played better once they got out form under Nelly.

Don Nelson had one of the best teams on paper back in the early 90's, and he was the GM, but he was getting swept out of the first round! I mean a team with Webber, Tyron Hill and Chris Gatling in the front, with Sprewell and Mullins on the wing and Billy Owens backing both up, and Tim Hardaway a point guard with Avery Johnson backing him up! For REAL!!! You give that team to Phil Jackson or Greg Popovic, or Larry Brown, and watch them win 60+ easy and walk into the finals.

Don Nelson has had his moments, he helped turn the the Mavs around, and he's a great coach to come in a send a new message to a team in a funk, like he did also in his first year return to Golden State, but he's not the coach to take a team to elite contention like Brown did for the Pistons and Jackson did for the Lakers.

td0tsfinest
04-09-2010, 10:23 AM
If I were lenny wilkens, I wait till Don Nelson retires and come back and get his record back.

eugene
04-09-2010, 10:33 AM
congratz, still something to achieve...

GSW Hoops
04-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Fantastic achievement.

Iceman778
04-09-2010, 11:44 AM
he is a respectful man